• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Deicidium [Dark/ low fantasy, late medieval/ early renaissance]

Sir Galahad II

Semi-colon Evangelist
Myths have long fascinated the mortal races, with tales of terrible monsters and valiant heroes. Indeed, cultures and religions form themselves around myths, with people living their entire lives accordingly.

However, at times, reality is far stranger than myth.

Millennia ago, eldritch beings known as the Old Ones created the world and its inhabitants. No sunlight graced the surface with its presence; the sky was a mere pitch black void. The mortal races were slaves to the Old Ones, who fattened themselves on the souls of their creations, and whoever escaped their reach lived in fear, barely surviving off the gray crags and withered foliage in their exile. Other gods existed as well, but they too lived in fear of being discovered and hunted.

One day, it was discovered that a mortal being could achieve power rivaling the gods. Through the discovery of powerful artifacts and years of rigorous training, Edwin Werner became the first of the New Gods, followed shortly afterwards by others. Together, leading the charge with the mortals and other gods behind them, they challenged the Old Ones.

They soon realized, however, that in their state and numbers, they could not defeat the Old Ones. Instead, the New Gods sealed the Old Ones away in the very center of the world, in what is now known as the Abyss. Victory had been achieved.

Soon thereafter, the New Gods used their remaining power to form a new world. The planet was affectionately named Igniculus, after a word in Celestial meaning “tiny flame;” a small beacon of hope for the people inhabiting this bleak universe. Despite its original naming, the world goes by many names and pronunciations by the various peoples of Igniculus. According to the Order of the New Gods, the New Gods crafted the sun, the moon, and the stars, which reside in a plane of existence known as the Cosmos, yet is still visible from Igniculus. Then, the world was revitalized; blanketed by foliage, its water purged of filth, and populated by animals. People all over the world set to work inventing new technology, forming religions, and creating civilization, all under guidance of the gods.

The gods created the Heavens, a plane invisible from the outside that rests in between the Cosmos and Igniculus. There the gods reside, with each pantheon claiming their own areas. By default, souls of the dead travel to the Heavens, and to different areas, depending on who they worshipped in life. Some gods choose to punish followers who have sinned. Travel between these areas is possible, and happens frequently.

Meanwhile, the Old Ones corrupted a perimeter of Igniculus surrounding the Abyss, their influence too vile to simply exist on its own. This corrupted area is now known as the Hells, an plane of infernal energy where demons reside. Despite being the spawn of the Old Ones, not all demons serve them, or are even evil. Demons and their kin, however, are still mostly feared or hated due to their heritage.

The Old Ones soon formed a portal that would allow them to escape, located in the country of Leygalia. The New Gods, still unprepared for another war, struck a deal. Every year, sacrifices would be made to the Old Ones in order to sate them and keep them from desiring escape. An underground city, strangely built by humans rather than dwarves, was constructed around the portal, which became Leygalia’s capital: Sanctum.

The Old Ones, however, eventually decided that their sacrifices weren’t enough to appease them. The portal released terrible abyssal kin that slaughtered everyone in Sanctum with the help of radical cultists.

An elite faction dedicated to protecting the people from eldritch and infernal forces had been formed years ago, named the Vigilant. They had been tasked with quelling the threat to the world by fighting their way into the city and temporarily sealing the portal. When all others failed, six heroes entered Sanctum and banished the portal, many of them giving their lives on the arduous journey to the center.

Seven decades have passed since the Sanctum Crisis. The Vigilant have somewhat fallen from their prime since, yet remain dutiful to their cause. This is their story.

Hi! I’m Galahad, and this is a world I’ve been working on for a while now. I figured that having an RP based on it would both be fun and give me ideas on how to expand my world further. Here’s a few points I’d like to clear up:

-While I did call it dark fantasy, Deicidium, I feel, is more what I’d call “gray fantasy.” There are horrible monsters and terrible deeds (I take inspiration mainly from the Souls series and Darkest Dungeon), but we can still save the day despite that.
-I’m probably going to have a lot of lore for this world, but don’t let that intimidate you. You don’t have to know all of it, and I encourage you to explore ideas so long as it doesn’t conflict with existing lore or heavily affect the world.
-I will have a Discord server so we can have a tight-knit community, but you aren’t required to join.
-I am looking for co-GMs so I don’t get swamped and hate myself.
-I plan on starting either in August or September. This is because I plan on moving out of my parent’s house soon, and I want to make sure I have time to be a proper GM.
-I don’t expect you to be super dedicated or a master RPer, but please don’t make super short posts all the time or disappear without an explanation. I know anxiety happens, but we can help.

With that out of the way, who’s in? I’ll post lore and character sheets once I see enough interest. I don’t currently plan on having a player limit.

Last edited:
This seems interesting. With this starting in a few months it'll allow time to properly develop the lore and think of aspects to introduce so that seems to be a positive.

If there's anything I can help with I'm always open to help as much as I can. Needless to say I'll keep my eye out for this.

Glad to see all the interest. If you haven't joined the Discord yet, I encourage you to do so. I plan on making a character thread tomorrow (about 13 hours from this post.)

Just a heads up: I’ll be moving soon, so if all goes well, we can start the RP soon! Make sure to get your character ideas down.

Since the last interest bump was recent, might I still join? Just make and post a character in the CS post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back