Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Give me dumb, respects women, ripped and peggable any day. I don't want to teach your dude-bro, edgelord to be kind and soft this isn't beauty and the beast!

Honestly if I have to tell someone to rewrite their character because they couldn't pickup on contextual clues then I don't want to RP with that person.
I was gonna leave it alone, but since you decided to reply to me twice, here we go.

First, you misinterpreted what I said. I meant that the discussion should happen before any kind of CS writing goes up. Nothing's been posted, nothing's been decided, it's literally just pitching an idea that they think could give a bit of spice to the RP. If the GM or anyone else isn't down for that, then that's fine, he just moves on to another idea that people would be more willing to accept.

With that out of the way, second is that I agree that this would be a problem if what I explained above doesn't happen first, or the CS is posted regardless of the consensus. If the GM doesn't want that type of character, and they tell you they don't want that type of character, don't use that type of character.

And third, going off of only the setting is not a good indicator of what characters should go there. There are plenty of characters in fiction that don't fit in their settings. Madoka Magica starts out showing that the characters are classmates that joke around and generally have few cares in the world. Fullmetal Alchemist has Maes Hughes, who wouldn't be out of place in a cheesy romcom. Teen Titans has Raven, who is an incredibly serious character in a world filled with comedic situations (And occasionally drama).

You know what happened to those characters? The girls were shown the dark secrets of the world. Maes was killed and his family was left to mourn, in scenes that were heartwrenching because he was such a bright personality. And Raven became the deadpan snarker, applying a specific type of comedy to the scenes in a way only she could bring. They worked because their personalities were written into the story, and used as an additional launching point for the work's overall goal.

I'm not saying this is the case everywhere, in fact most of the time everyone's characters stay exactly what they are the whole way through, especially in RP. I'm saying that there's a chance they could have a cool idea planned out for putting a character like that into a setting like this, and that should be discussed before any major decisions are made.

I hope this gives you something to think about. Have a nice day :xFsmile:

Why would someone spend time designing a thread layout that isn't representative of the content and theme of the RP?

Like I don't know anyone who designs a layout and goes "yes it's dark, bold lettering, with blood all over it and ghastly imagery" but no it's a happy, non-horror based family RP about living in suburbia!

Well first off it could very well be a normal non-horror based roleplay and the person was using the asethtic to make a clever point or as a contrast.

Secondly what you described in your original post "floral, soft colors" doesn't scream "whimsy, romance, and superheroes" to me. It screams Victorian era ultra feminine aesthetic. So I might think romance is a likelihood but it wouldn't necessarily jump out at me.

That's my point, you are trying to convey a message that your audience might not get because the visuals your using don't mean the same things to them that they do to you.

If however you pair your visuals up with a clear statement of intent than people have no reason to be claim confusion.

New one to add for me:

Misuse of Tragedy/Rape- I have found that over the years, as I matured and writing became more of a passion than a hobby, I have come to hate certain tropes and often times I find that people who use these tropes heavy handedly end up being people I can't work with.

I'm sure everyone here has heard about or talked about the overuse of tragic backstories. Or rather, I would call it the misuse of tragic backstories. For me, the misuse of Tragedy/Rape comes in the same vein.

I am pretty sure even I was guilty of it when I was younger, so I am not attempting to shame anyone with it, but I have found it to be problematic.

For one, many times I find they are used specifically to gain pity points for a particular character. To me, as a writer, that is not a reason to have a tragedy/rape happen. I get having a tough challenge for a character to go through for the sake of growth, in fact I recommend that, but many times I feel that many people write tragedy/rape off as a tough challenge for their character to get through when it isn't. It is just for pity points.

Second off, it usually is not done with good taste and he people involved get over it way too easily. Basically it only seems to become a problem whenever the character needs to gain more pity points or stir up drama.

Lastly, it just makes me feel... Icky when it is done in such bad taste. Idk, that part might just be me. But I've become part of the misuse of tragedy/rape in both my Rps and reading material for awhile now.

Basically it only seems to become a problem whenever the character needs to gain more pity points or stir up drama.
Yep, that's the exact problem right there. There are a lot of people that pretty much just tack on a tragic/abusive background without fully thinking of how it would shape the character. I also noticed how they're very eager to have their character tell any and everyone about what happened to them when most real people wouldn't just freely give that info up to the person using the washer next to them in a laundromat.

New one to add for me:

Misuse of Tragedy/Rape- I have found that over the years, as I matured and writing became more of a passion than a hobby, I have come to hate certain tropes and often times I find that people who use these tropes heavy handedly end up being people I can't work with.

I'm sure everyone here has heard about or talked about the overuse of tragic backstories. Or rather, I would call it the misuse of tragic backstories. For me, the misuse of Tragedy/Rape comes in the same vein.

I am pretty sure even I was guilty of it when I was younger, so I am not attempting to shame anyone with it, but I have found it to be problematic.

For one, many times I find they are used specifically to gain pity points for a particular character. To me, as a writer, that is not a reason to have a tragedy/rape happen. I get having a tough challenge for a character to go through for the sake of growth, in fact I recommend that, but many times I feel that many people write tragedy/rape off as a tough challenge for their character to get through when it isn't. It is just for pity points.

Second off, it usually is not done with good taste and he people involved get over it way too easily. Basically it only seems to become a problem whenever the character needs to gain more pity points or stir up drama.

Lastly, it just makes me feel... Icky when it is done in such bad taste. Idk, that part might just be me. But I've become part of the misuse of tragedy/rape in both my Rps and reading material for awhile now.
This reminded me of a story my husband told me when he wrote. He had a partner he did a story with that expanded across different threads with the same characters. His character would get separated from his partner's character. Every time they met up his partner's character would come back and say she had been raped. Every time.

This reminded me of a story my husband told me when he wrote. He had a partner he did a story with that expanded across different threads with the same characters. His character would get separated from his partner's character. Every time they met up his partner's character would come back and say she had been raped. Every time.
"Girl, I was only gone for like five minutes and I was literally in the other room, how'd all this happen?"

Yep, that's the exact problem right there. There are a lot of people that pretty much just tack on a tragic/abusive background without fully thinking of how it would shape the character. I also noticed how they're very eager to have their character tell any and everyone about what happened to them when most real people wouldn't just freely give that info up to the person using the washer next to them in a laundromat.

Yeah, that and often times people use it to justify their character being a dick. Like, yeah I understand why they are being a dick... That doesn't mean they deserve a pass for being a dick.

I had to mention rape specifically because so many female OCs end up raped, often times for no reason. There have been so many times when I have seen a rape happen in an RP and in an actual published book and it just... Wasn't even necessary.

hmm, i tend not to click with people who take themselves too seriously. but that's more a matter of preference - i don't like writing with anyone who treats RP as a pure business transaction, if that makes sense? i'd like to think i'm able to befriend the people i write with. it makes it easier to communicate when things are losing steam, haha.

Nobody:

Character with a tragic backstory: I have a tragic backstory

There's an unrealistic height difference between my character and the other person's character. Like my character is 5'8" and theirs is 8 feet or taller. I've encountered about two people in all of my time writing that literally and insanely flipped their lid because I didn't want to, which is the main focus, have a romance with a character that was taller than a skyscraper.

My deal-breakers are things like if it's a group RP but it's set up so that one or two characters are the focal point the entire RP seems to revolve around and everyone else is treated as "supporting cast" because it never ends well, people always end up left out and feeling unimportant and also like... if someone and their bff want to be the main characters of a thread, do a 1x1. Another deal-breaker people shipping things like incest or minors with adults. It makes me uncomfortable.

Forced ships, constant purple prose to meet post length quotas, extremely anal rules but also a complete lack of rules are also things I bounce away from.

Glory, I probably sound like a real curmudgeon...

My deal-breakers are things like if it's a group RP but it's set up so that one or two characters are the focal point the entire RP seems to revolve around and everyone else is treated as "supporting cast" because it never ends well, people always end up left out and feeling unimportant and also like... if someone and their bff want to be the main characters of a thread, do a 1x1. Another deal-breaker people shipping things like incest or minors with adults. It makes me uncomfortable.

Forced ships, constant purple prose to meet post length quotas, extremely anal rules but also a complete lack of rules are also things I bounce away from.

Glory, I probably sound like a real curmudgeon...

Thankfully I've never encountered underage ships, at least in text based RPGs, although sadly there was one in a tabletop RPG where one player had two characters (a 40 year old and a 15 year old) and had them together. He tried to make it "less creepy" by having the child age-up via magic as said 40 year old had promised her a date when she was older.
Yeah, that guy was horrible in and out of game. I wish this was his most minor sin.

I only force ships if it's my own characters but I never go for incest or minors x adults. Closest thing to minors in general was an awkward teen romance I wrote back in the day as I myself was a teen at the time. They were both teenagers as the whole minors x adults thing is just borderline paedophilia and even I knew that back then.
Bloody disgusting and if a player is into that at all I avoid them like the plague.

As for the character focus thing, that's a big oof. I've been in a few RPs where I was kinda pushed to the side and I've maybe been guilty of it once or twice in the past when running RPs. It tends to happen in fandom RPs more than other parts of the site as the GM and their friends will favour one fandom over others and focus the story around characters based on that, leaving others out in the cold.
Or the GM has an OC they build up as uber important compared to everyone else. Nobody else matters, just the OC and their story.

Speaking of OCs, one thing that puts me off is a no OCs rule. Now I do understand where some GMs come from when they put a rule like this in, as I have seen some god awful OCs in the past. There was one so bad in fact I had to implement a rule that was basically "don't make a character like this" a Spyro OC who screamed edge and had a ton of awful details in their backstory for no reason.
A ton of rape, having a miscarriage based on rape, their parents trying to kill them...For a Spryo OC. I thought Spyro was a children's game?

This wasn't even a Spyro RP either. It was multi-fandom. They literally could have gone with random dragon from universe I made up but went with Spyro, a children's game for their uber dark and tortured character.

If your character is going to have tragic origins it should at least shape them instead of having them just scream "Nobody understands my pain!" every five minutes. Sheesh.
I don't have something against tragic backstories per say, as some of my favourite characters have tragic backstories but it's something you either have to do right or not at all.
For every Arya Stark there's twenty Creepypasta OCs who kill people for being too happy, for every Alphonse and Edward there's fifteen characters like that Spyro OC and for every Jack (of Mass Effect) there's twenty goddamn characters who went through a horrible traumatic experience and just came out on the other side screaming about people not understanding their pain and probably wearing a dark cloak.

However, excluding OCs in general is a big no no for me as I tend to either stick to them or balance between OCs and canon characters. I just don't have the confidence to write a lot of canon characters full-time (semi-occurring NPCs is another thing though) so I just make characters up.

EDIT

Trauma is something that affects each person differently and even if two characters went through the same experience they'd come out different (see point above about Elric brothers) but the way some people handle it in RPs is pretty awful.
A character opening up about their trauma (if they ever do) should be a moment of character development, a sign that their relationship with whatever character or group they're sharing it with has grown to a point of trust.
Jack's loyalty mission has this and it starts off with her just wanting to blow up a place that caused her suffering as she thinks that'll make her feel better.

It shouldn't be something they just throw out there for no reason. Some characters might share bits and bobs of their awful time as a means of gaining trust with another character: "I've been where you are right now"/"You don't want to do this, I've seen where it leads"

It's risky to do, but if done well it can be pretty damn good but having a character experience something that ties back to the trauma is another thing (see Jack again). Say a character tied to it tries to play mind games in order to break their spirit (Jessica Jones) or they are put in a situation where they have to face their fears.

As for the latter:

Even an earlier season of Supernatural had one of the brothers go to Hell and come back basically broken as you know, it's Hell. The scene where he first opens up about it is pretty good and was built up to across several episodes before he finally breaks down.
Later seasons seem to ignore all this as not only have both brothers been back to Hell but it's been brushed off. Unrelated but, stop watching that show after season five.

Last edited:
Speaking of OCs, one thing that puts me off is a no OCs rule. Now I do understand where some GMs come from when they put a rule like this in, as I have seen some god awful OCs in the past. There was one so bad in fact I had to implement a rule that was basically "don't make a character like this" a Spyro OC who screamed edge and had a ton of awful details in their backstory for no reason.
A ton of rape, having a miscarriage based on rape, their parents trying to kill them...For a Spryo OC. I thought Spyro was a children's game?

This wasn't even a Spyro RP either. It was multi-fandom. They literally could have gone with random dragon from universe I made up but went with Spyro, a children's game for their uber dark and tortured character.

If your character is going to have tragic origins it should at least shape them instead of having them just scream "Nobody understands my pain!" every five minutes. Sheesh.
I don't have something against tragic backstories per say, as some of my favourite characters have tragic backstories but it's something you either have to do right or not at all.
For every Arya Stark there's twenty Creepypasta OCs who kill people for being too happy, for every Alphonse and Edward there's fifteen characters like that Spyro OC and for every Jack (of Mass Effect) there's twenty goddamn characters who went through a horrible traumatic experience and just came out on the other side screaming about people not understanding their pain and probably wearing a dark cloak.

Yeah, another problem with tragic backstories is people tend to way overdo them, lol. Like with that Spyro RP, and then it comes to the point where I cannot even relate with that character because their misfortune is so ridiculously over the top. It is one of the reasons I have begun to tell people that if they can literally use anything other than rape in their backstory/story, don't use rape. It is usually so overdone and so tasteless that usually, it does not go well. There are several exceptions, however, and there are several times when I think it is okay to use it as a story element.

But you are very right when you say one of the problems is that there are so many characters that just tattoo "DAMAGED" on their forehead to be edgy and then talk about their awful backstory. And at the same time, the tragedy is completely unnecessary. I am glad you brought up the Elric brothers because they are a very good example of a necessary and well=done tragic backstory. It was that tragedy that drove them forward throughout the rest of the anime, so I never questioned why it was there. But there have been so many OCs in the various RPs that I have done that have had a backstory, or at least had a tragedy that happened at the very beginning of the story, that legit was unnecessary. It really did not drive the character whatsoever other than making them sad face sometimes.

Long story short, I love backstories that drive the character forward.

I'll edit this to make more sense later when I am less sleep deprived...

Having every villain be on the same team for not a strong enough reason... It really put a creative damper on me also ironically enough isn't very believable.

Remember that player who tried to justify the genocidal AI with daddy issues and a God complex, intent on destroying/conquering all organic life teaming up with two generic demons named after Dementia or something as a matter of "common enemies"? I believe it was Ultron in an ascended God form teaming up with organic demons because they both had a bone to pick with his OC apparently.
That was super dumb.

Weirdly enough I miss that guy. Bad RPer for sure, but at the very least entertaining to watch and interact with. Like watching a car crash in slow motion but it's Flintstone cars.

Yeah, another problem with tragic backstories is people tend to way overdo them, lol. Like with that Spyro RP, and then it comes to the point where I cannot even relate with that character because their misfortune is so ridiculously over the top. It is one of the reasons I have begun to tell people that if they can literally use anything other than rape in their backstory/story, don't use rape. It is usually so overdone and so tasteless that usually, it does not go well. There are several exceptions, however, and there are several times when I think it is okay to use it as a story element.

Jessica Jones and The Millennium trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books) are probably the only times I've seen that topic handled well. Game of Thrones handled it okay at first, but then seemingly turned the tables during season five.
Like we didn't need another reason to hate Ramsey Snow/Bolton and we're already aware that Sansa's life is awful. You didn't need to add her being raped by the man who's dad killed her family on top of all that.
The only thing it achieved in the long run was making Ramsey's death a bit more satisfying and adding some stuff with Sansa and Jon. You could have taken out the rape and still had all that though, so it was utterly pointless.

But you are very right when you say one of the problems is that there are so many characters that just tattoo "DAMAGED" on their forehead to be edgy and then talk about their awful backstory. And at the same time, the tragedy is completely unnecessary. I am glad you brought up the Elric brothers because they are a very good example of a necessary and well=done tragic backstory. It was that tragedy that drove them forward throughout the rest of the anime, so I never questioned why it was there. But there have been so many OCs in the various RPs that I have done that have had a backstory, or at least had a tragedy that happened at the very beginning of the story, that legit was unnecessary. It really did not drive the character whatsoever other than making them sad face sometimes.

Long story short, I love backstories that drive the character forward.

I'll edit this to make more sense later when I am less sleep deprived...

Like the nod to Jared Letto as Suicide Squad is the perfect example of what not to do:
El Diablo opens up about his trauma to a group of strangers he sees as "family" even though he's only known them for less than a day and they've barely talked, just to get us to feel big sad when he dies.
The Jared Letto/Margot Robbie subplot outright glorifies an abusive relationship, tilting the tragic backstory thing in the wrong direction altogether. He re-wired her brain, dunked her in acid and left her for dead underwater and that's meant to be romantic? What the actual flying fuck?!
We're meant to feel bad for Deadshot too because he has a kid. Why? Oh this master assassin also has a kid therefore we should relate to/feel bad for him. He enjoys killing and we're told as much when he's shown his fantasy. He kills murder hobo Batman in cold blood and that's it, no idea of a simpler life with his kid or one where he can put down the gun and just be a dad, but one where he kills someone and continues his life as an assassin.

We're also told via blank and emotionless exposition that Killer Croc has had a hard go of it too, but that never comes up at all.

Honestly, Suicide Squad is an example of how not to do a lot of things. Never have I seen a movie that managed to screw up so much and I've seen The Room, Foodfight and a whole bunch of the Dingo Pictures plus Goodtimes knockoffs of Disney movies among others.

It sounds rather uppity of me, but I can't role-play with people who don't put detail into their posts. I can't handle just a few lines of dialogue and actions. I myself, have never posted much more then a couple paragraphs, but I do my best to always write something to put meat on the post. Sometimes I just go on about the sky for no reason just so there's a better scenery. I don't like picturing text on a blank background for the RP.

I can completely relate to being turned off by lack of detail! It just doesn't inspire getting lost in the scene or role for creative writing if there's only sparse contributions offered by a writing partner. I understand some scenes, particularly if heavy in dialogue, etc., need to be shorter posts in order to get things moving, but it shouldn't be the norm for every post.

Remember that player who tried to justify the genocidal AI with daddy issues and a God complex, intent on destroying/conquering all organic life teaming up with two generic demons named after Dementia or something as a matter of "common enemies"? I believe it was Ultron in an ascended God form teaming up with organic demons because they both had a bone to pick with his OC apparently.
That was super dumb.

Weirdly enough I miss that guy. Bad RPer for sure, but at the very least entertaining to watch and interact with. Like watching a car crash in slow motion but it's Flintstone cars.

Jessica Jones and The Millennium trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books) are probably the only times I've seen that topic handled well. Game of Thrones handled it okay at first, but then seemingly turned the tables during season five.
Like we didn't need another reason to hate Ramsey Snow/Bolton and we're already aware that Sansa's life is awful. You didn't need to add her being raped by the man who's dad killed her family on top of all that.
The only thing it achieved in the long run was making Ramsey's death a bit more satisfying and adding some stuff with Sansa and Jon. You could have taken out the rape and still had all that though, so it was utterly pointless.

Like the nod to Jared Letto as Suicide Squad is the perfect example of what not to do:
El Diablo opens up about his trauma to a group of strangers he sees as "family" even though he's only known them for less than a day and they've barely talked, just to get us to feel big sad when he dies.
The Jared Letto/Margot Robbie subplot outright glorifies an abusive relationship, tilting the tragic backstory thing in the wrong direction altogether. He re-wired her brain, dunked her in acid and left her for dead underwater and that's meant to be romantic? What the actual flying fuck?!
We're meant to feel bad for Deadshot too because he has a kid. Why? Oh this master assassin also has a kid therefore we should relate to/feel bad for him. He enjoys killing and we're told as much when he's shown his fantasy. He kills murder hobo Batman in cold blood and that's it, no idea of a simpler life with his kid or one where he can put down the gun and just be a dad, but one where he kills someone and continues his life as an assassin.

We're also told via blank and emotionless exposition that Killer Croc has had a hard go of it too, but that never comes up at all.

Honestly, Suicide Squad is an example of how not to do a lot of things. Never have I seen a movie that managed to screw up so much and I've seen The Room, Foodfight and a whole bunch of the Dingo Pictures plus Goodtimes knockoffs of Disney movies among others.

Ohhh Yeah, the show screwed that up.

Especially since in the books, Sansa was not even raped by Ramsey and it was fine. The books have not finished but I have a feeling they would not stray too far from the show so I have a feeling things will play out about the same without that plot point having been done. And, I mean, after Theon especially everyone wanted to see the Boltons fall anyways.

And yeah. I reaaaally did not like the angle they went with for Suicide Squad. I would have been happier if they just flat out played them as villains, which they are. But there is another point brought up with that one and that is all the times people use the tragic backstories to excuse asshole behavior. Like... The Joker does not get an out because people made fun of him... He is still a psychopathic killer. And an abuser. And then that leads to the failed redemption arc problem where people attempt to basically say a character can do horrible things as long as they had a horrible past.

Yeah, that one is another deal breaker for me. I might be getting really picky with my character arcs nowadays haha.

Ohhh Yeah, the show screwed that up.

Especially since in the books, Sansa was not even raped by Ramsey and it was fine. The books have not finished but I have a feeling they would not stray too far from the show so I have a feeling things will play out about the same without that plot point having been done. And, I mean, after Theon especially everyone wanted to see the Boltons fall anyways.

And yeah. I reaaaally did not like the angle they went with for Suicide Squad. I would have been happier if they just flat out played them as villains, which they are. But there is another point brought up with that one and that is all the times people use the tragic backstories to excuse asshole behavior. Like... The Joker does not get an out because people made fun of him... He is still a psychopathic killer. And an abuser. And then that leads to the failed redemption arc problem where people attempt to basically say a character can do horrible things as long as they had a horrible past.

Yeah, that one is another deal breaker for me. I might be getting really picky with my character arcs nowadays haha.

I do agree with you, but on the opposite extreme I don't like antagonists that are pretty much just evil for the sake of being evil. Like, there needs to be a motive somewhere. Maybe they were wronged in some way? Perhaps they have a major character flaw that encourages them to act in a certain way? Be creative. We're writers.

I do agree with you, but on the opposite extreme I don't like antagonists that are pretty much just evil for the sake of being evil. Like, there needs to be a motive somewhere. Maybe they were wronged in some way? Perhaps they have a major character flaw that encourages them to act in a certain way? Be creative. We're writers.

Lol, I understand that. In all honesty, I like both myself. I love complex villains that you can understand their thinking. Kind of like Thanos, since he legit believes he is doing the universe a favor by snapping away half of the population. Or even Chigur from 'No Country for Old Men' who has a very interesting philosophy behind how he acts.

But I also enjoy my flat out: "I'm evil. I am evil. I eat puppies for breakfast, lick the tears of orphans, and I push people off into traffic." Because... man sometimes I just love that over the top, hammy and cheesy villain. It is a guilty pleasure xD

Probably mentioned it before, I don't remember therefore it will be spoken again. Bitchy, snarky, a-holes those characters that dwell in unpleasantness because they've been through so much tragedy they are justified in acting like that or they just are naturally in this way to be amusing, cute, whatever.

That was super dumb.

I feel like the time they stuck Injustice Superman in the chaotic team because they were the de facto bad guy team was probably a more relevant example

Lol, I understand that. In all honesty, I like both myself. I love complex villains that you can understand their thinking. Kind of like Thanos, since he legit believes he is doing the universe a favor by snapping away half of the population. Or even Chigur from 'No Country for Old Men' who has a very interesting philosophy behind how he acts.

But I also enjoy my flat out: "I'm evil. I am evil. I eat puppies for breakfast, lick the tears of orphans, and I push people off into traffic." Because... man sometimes I just love that over the top, hammy and cheesy villain. It is a guilty pleasure xD

It's all about context I'd say. I've seen stories where those sorts of "evil for the sake of being evil" villains work, but for the most part they do not.

I feel like the time they stuck Injustice Superman in the chaotic team because they were the de facto bad guy team was probably a more relevant example

Injustice Superman and a few Sith Lords who were also Lawful Evil among others, if I recall.
It would have been so much more interesting to see good and evil characters work together for the sides of order and chaos but nope.

That was super dumb.

Don't know how that relates to forcing every villain in the same team regardless of said villains' world views.

246DAMW.png
When someone fails to follow clearly defined instructions, despite those instructions leaving no room for misinterpretation. I find if you can't follow a basic instruction then what confidence should I have that you'll follow a more complex instruction. I choose at that point not to waste my time because getting frustrated isn't what I am here to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back