Other Deaf of H.O.H. (Hard-of-hearing)?

DeafLordess

Fear me, for I hear not your complaints
I'm a curious cat, and one day, it'll get me, but for now, I'll keep asking my questions.

Is there anyone else on this site who is Deaf or Hard of Hearing?

Hey there! I've had moderate hearing loss since I was 4 or 5 years old, but thankfully I don't have to wear an assitive aid as of right now. The biggest problem I have is speaking way too softly (especially at my job, since I'm working in a noisy kitchen) and having to ask people to repeat themselves a lot. :)

Its nice to meet you btw!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there! I've had moderate hearing loss since I was 4 or 5 years old, but thankfully I don't have to wear an assitive aid as of right now. The biggest problem I have is speaking way too softly (especially at my job, since I'm working in a noisy kitchen) and having to ask people to repeat themselves a lot. :)

Its nice to meet you btw!

Nice to meet you too :)
I lost my hearing when I was ten. I wear a hearing aid, which helps a bit.
It's cool to see there are others here

i suspect i might have audio processing disorder, but i dont think ill get a diagnosis anytime soon

i answer phones a lot for my job so its.... a bit annoying lol.

customers tend to get mad after you ask them to repeat their credit card number 3 times. 

@Ghost on the rare occasions they pull me outta the kitchen and make me talk to people i will not take phone orders.  way too embarrassing.  still happens a few times per shift usually but i avoid it so muuuuch.

@Ghost on the rare occasions they pull me outta the kitchen and make me talk to people i will not take phone orders.  way too embarrassing.  still happens a few times per shift usually but i avoid it so muuuuch.

my job is like 90% being The Guy who answers the phone to take orders so

i hate it (and im sure the customers hate it too) but

what can ya do

@Ghost
I understand that feeling. Before I worked as an ABA therapist, I was a pizza delivery gal, and taking orders by the oven was the bane of my existence. I actually had to call over my co-worker once, because the lady (I think) on the other end was not nearly loud enough.

I just realized this is titled as Deaf of H.O.H. not Deaf OR H.O.H. My mistake, friends.

I'm not deaf, but I have sensory processing disorder. I have to have subtitles on all the time, I can't understand a lot of people when they talk, forget listening to the music without lyrics, ayee...I want to learn ASL but I can't stand the silence of immersive classrooms, and, even if I could, I have hand mobility issues that make it hard to perform fingerspelling etc. My vision is great but I have ADD so I can't pay any attention anyway-- It does me no good! I want to immerse myself in deaf culture since I basically expect to be deaf when I'm older but it's going to be hard with my other issues. I won't stop trying to find a class that can teach me though!

I have auditory processing disorder, as a result of autism crap.

My ears technically work fine, but I can't 'filter' sounds to help focus, i don't process speech very well, and i don't notice when I'm talking too loud.

So I act exactly like someone stereotypical hearing loss, constantly asking "what?" and usually yelling a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back