• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dark Hearts

"I'll be there soon" Matt texts her then stops by the side of the road briefly to put the address in his maps app, then drove off again. Ten minutes later, he's outside her apartment building in his car and shoots her another text.

With their food, the men reclined their seats and watched some commercials. "True. We should play a game. One where we take turns saying facts about ourselves. You know, before the movie starts. Mason says with a smile that didn't reveal anything. He, too, wants the armrest to be up. He had a harder time now convincing himself he wasn't attracted to males. To this male in particular. He's always thought men were attractive, but he thought that was normal. Now he's second guessing himself.

Seeing Matt's text, Em rushed out of her apartment and down to the street. She had changed into white skinny jeans and a loose black shortsleeve shirt, with a large silver cuff bracelet on her right wrist. After a second of hesitation, she opened the passenger door and got into his car. "Hi there."

A game? What kinds of facts could Eli just... give out? He sighed and thought for a few moments. "Okay then... my favorite music genre is alternative." Music was an easy way to start. He gave Mason a nice, pretty smile as he waited for Mason's fact.

"Hey," Matt smiles. "Where to? You pick the place, I'll pay if it's needed." He wanted her to feel comfortable. Though he's not really sure why, because a lot of the time he just does whatever he wants.

Mason chuckles. "Fascinating. I like all music, really. Especially hip hop... but that's not my fact. Um... I was a runner all through junior high and high school, and I'm currently going to University. I'm a runner there, too. Plus I'm an Olympian." Mason grins and eats some popcorn.

That was an awfully nice offer.... But she wasn't one for clubs or anything expensive, so she just smiled. "Well it's a bit chill for the park. We could just go to some 24-hour fast food place where it'll be warm. At this time of night, we'd be the only ones there."

Despite the rules, Eli couldn't help but be intrigued as he asked, "Really? What's your major? Oh, and, uh... personally, I was never much into sports, more into books and stuff."

"Fast food?" Matt laughs, amused. That's a first. "Is that what the cool kids do nowadays? Get fast food together?"

"I'm majoring in religious studies. And, well, by the looks of it, you're into exercise enough to work out and have a toned body," Mason says. Not flirting, simply observing.

Emmalia smiled and said, "Well can you think of anywhere else warm and quite at this time of night? We don't have to get food."

"Religious studies are cool. And I like to play basketball on occasion, but I'm no athlete, but thanks." Just then the theatre darkened and the actual movie started. 

"My apartment" was stuck on Matt's tongue but he knew he couldn't say that. Instead, he says, "Fast food sounds good. I'm actually kind of hungry," Matt drives towards the nearest fast food place happily. Anywhere she offered was fine with him.

"It's starting! We can finish playing later," Mason smiles excitedly and turns to look at the screen, eating popcorn quicker than before. About twenty minutes into the movie, Mason realizes that he is painfully aware of Eli's presence and of how close they are, separated only by the arm rest. Mason puts his elbow on the armrest, then pretends to be uncomfortable. He puts the arm rest up to put his arm down more comfortably. He glances at Eli, but Eli is entranced by the movie. He's watching it so intently that Mason isn't sure anything could break his focus. Adorable. Mason smiles slightly.

Once there, Em bought herself a soda and found a booth seat for them both. As they sat down, she smiled slightly and asked, "So. I'm going to guess that you have done a little research on our... odd experience... as well?"

The motion out of the corner of his eye got Eli's attention. He turned and noticed that the armrest was raised, and gave Mason a smile, then looked back to the movie. Whatever made Mason comfortable was fine with him. 

Matt takes a bite out of his burger and nods. He chews the bite then says, "Yeah. Something about soulmates. Not sure if I believe it but anything can happen, yknow? Do you think it's true?" Secretly, he hoped it was true. Matt came to figure out that he feels different around Em. A good different. A content different.

Mason wonders suddenly if he was really as against liking Eli as he thought he was. When Eli focused back on the movie, Mason leans over close to him and whispers, "Eli..." When Eli turns to him, Mason suddenly kisses Eli. It didn't feel wrong. In fact, it felt ridiculously right. 

Heavy question. It would explain why she couldn't bring herself to care that he was a murderer. "I mean.... It would explain some things." He seemed like a nice guy, but did she need a soulmate?

Eli held still for a moment, then returned the kiss. He pulled away and  whispered, "I thought... you...." If Mason had kissed him, then he had to know what he was doing. 

Matt hums. "Like what?" He was trying to kill time, really. He liked imagining that he and Emmalia could be together, even if just for the moment. He liked pretending, briefly, that they are going on a date. Reality settles in right after that thought.

"I know. But I figured I'd try, and it didn't feel wrong. I feel like I want to hug you," Mason whispers almost shyly and puts a hand on Eli's waist to gently pull him closer. "I think my entire being believes that you're my soulmate. I just want to be near you."

What could she say now? "Well... how I like your voice so much, for one. Why I don't care about how we first met. And just.... I dunno, maybe a general attraction to you."

Eli smile and moved closer to Mason, then pulled him into a kind of hug that would let Mason lay against Eli and watch the movie. It was endearing how shy Mason was about all of this, and Eli had no issue with taking it slow and letting Mason see what he thought about a gay relationship. "How's this, then?"

Matt smiles almost sadly. "If only we could work out," he says quietly, almost as if he's regretting something. He wished that having someone on the outside come in wasn't dangerous. But it was. Something that his uncle told him over and over again.

Mason smiles and snuggles against Eli, who was almost the same height as him, though less muscular. "Perfect," Mason says quietly and kisses Eli's cheek before focusing on the movie again.

Em smiled and shrugged. "Maybe we can. I mean... I can't understand your parents wanting you with such a horrible woman as your girlfriend... maybe if you spoke to them?" Another idea occurred to her, but she would never even suggest such a thing.

Eli held Mason close for the rest of the movie. As the credits started rolling, before the lights came back on, he pulled Mason in for a gentle kiss. Once they separated, he quietly asked, "Mason... I don't mean to upset you... may I ask, though... those bruises on your arms, what happened?" He'd been concerned for the whole of the evening.

"It's not up to my parents, it's my moral compass. I can't let you get involved in a life like mine. Believe me, there's bad idea written all over it." Matt is halfway done with his burger and starts on his fries. He wonders if he could quit this family career thing.

Mason just casually chuckles and, without realizing it, pulls his sleeves down more over his wrists. "I fell down some stairs, no big deal." Only it wasn't true- it couldn't have been true, not with the shape of the bruises just above his wrist. Even if Eli hadn't seen those particular bruises, he would have been able to see right through Mason's lies.

Em laughed quietly, eve though she knew it was rude - she couldn't help herself. To explain, she said, "Matt, you don't have to worry about me, I promise you. I used to be an EMT - I can take care of myself." She had other boons too, but those she didn't want to explain.

Eli looked at Mason with concern, then leaned in and kissed his cheek. "You don't have to lie, Mason. But I won't press the issue if you don't want me to." He stood up and took Mason's hand so they could walk out of the theatre together.

Matt doesn't say anything in response, just finished his burger and finishes up his fries and drink. He doesn't need to be convinced. He couldn't be convinced. He could be called stubborn, but mostly he just sticks to his beliefs.

Mason doesn't stand right away but doesn't let go of Eli's hand, either. It seems like Eli unlocked something, and Mason gulps. He stands after a moment and is right in front of Eli. After some moments of silence, Mason finally speaks. "I have a job, and in that job I work with my family. I have a cousin who I kind of grew up with. Ever since we were little, he'd... hurt me." Mason is speaking very quietly, almost whispering, and isn't looking at Eli. "Really bad. And it hasn't stopped. He's mad at me because I'm the favorite, my family tells me, and because I'm an Olympian. I'm successful. But I wish I wasn't. I wish it would all just stop," by the end, Mason is whispering and holding Eli's hand tighter.

It was evident that a subject change would be needed. "Well do you like your job?"

Eli stayed silent, then slowly pulled Mason into a hug. "It's okay, Mason. Thank you for telling me. I really do appreciate it." As he let Mason go, he smiled reassuringly and looked Mason in the eyes. "Does he live with you?"

"Well, sometimes. Mostly, yes. It's liberating." Matt purses his lips a bit and stares at the table. Wasn't it? "At least, I think I like it. I like doing good things with my own two hands. But I guess my line of work only really benefits a small amount of people. Still, I'll take what I can get." Maybe I'm more fit to be a soldier. Maybe he should have gone back to that. Matt didn't think he wanted to, though.

Mason hasn't moved since he finished speaking, and his eyes go from being focused on a bar behind Eli to absolutely nothing. He appears to be staring off into space, and his hand twitches slightly. Mason wasn't able to hug Eli back, not with the dissociative state he's in. For a very long time and solely caused by his severe childhood trauma, Mason has had a dissociative disorder. When these episodes happen, he loses all feeling in his body and becomes extremely detached. Sometimes Mason is aware. Other times not. This time, Mason is not at all aware of what's happening and is lost in memories of the abuse. Within the next moment, a shiver shakes Mason's body and his eyes shift to Eli's face, though they seem to be looking but not seeing anything.

Em chuckled. "Then you could just do volunteering. You could help a larger amount of people more easily. But it's up to you, I'm just chit-chatting at this point."

To see Mason phase out like that was upsetting, to say the least. Was he playing a game? Or was this something different? Eli reached out and gently laid a hand on Mason's shoulder. Eli had seen people high on just about any drug; working in a cafe could do that. Yet Mason wasn't high on anything, he was just... gone. "Mason? Mason, do you hear me? Please, talk to me.... Please?"

"It's too risky. I like just being here and going to fast food restaurants with a new friend," Matt smirks a little. "We could always be a little more than friends, too~" His voice had a hint of huskiness in it in an attempt to seduce her in a way.

Mason lowers his empty gaze to his hands, which are now palms-up between him and Eli. Mason closes and opens his fists, then looks up again. Snap out of it, Mace. 5... 5 things I see. Under his breath, Mason whispers, "Theater chairs, big screen, stairs, lights, railings." 4 things I feel. Mason touches his stomach, and can feel his mind clearing up already. He wiggles his toes. "Soft shirt, weight of my watch, feet, warmth of my jacket." 3 things I hear- you're almost there, Mace. "Eli spoke, people leaving, wrappers being crumpled." 2 smells. "Popcorn, Eli's cologne." And one good thing about me. By then, Mason was almost completely back to himself. "I'm hardworking." Mason runs his hand through his hair, feeling every strand and feeling the ring on his forefinger with his thumb. God, how embarrassing. Eli must think he's a freak. 

Still dazed, Mason locks eyes with Eli and talks a bit slower than normal. "Sorry. It's just... I have... I-I'm sorry. Never mind... ignore me." Mason looks at the ground and glances toward the stairs leading out of the theater room.

Em acted like she was pondering, then (falsely) excitedly said, "Well, apparently, we're soulmates too, is that what you mean?"

Eli wasn't sure exactly what was happening, but he got the gist of it, and just let Mason talk quietly to himself, though the concern was evident on his fce. They'd only known each other for a bit, yet Eli was already feeling very attached to Mason. Once Mason started apologizing, Eli didn't say anything, he simply gathered Mason into a loose hug and held him close. The poor guy had had a rough life, and Eli just wanted to see him happy again.

Matt sighs and shakes his head. "Not even close, but nice guess. Yknow, though, I bet if I kissed you, it'd be the best kiss you've ever had," Matt says with a small smirk.

After some seconds of silence, Mason whispers, "I'm really messed up, Eli. In so many ways." He pulls away and sighs just a bit. "I can drive you home now," Mason doesn't want to think about the guilt of his job description at the moment- or at all, for that matter.

Well, time to drop a shocker on him. "That bet actually wouldn't work. I've never been kissed before. Not properly, anyway." Well... never willingly. She wasn't looking for pity, though, so she'd not mention that.

Eli cocked his head to the side a bit and smiled softly. "You're not messed up. And if you are, well... I guess that means I really like messed up." Eli was finding that he really did like Mason, quite a lot.... "Do you want to take me home? I have a late shift tomorrow, we could go somewhere else." For some reason, he wanted to hug Mason again. He wanted to hug him and hold him and never see him so upset ever again. "You're not alone, you know."

Matt gets a grin on his face at the realization of what she just said. "Then... maybe I should give you a proper kiss? It would be fitting as your first, since I'm your soulmate and all," Matt says with a slight smirk.

Mason looks at Eli curiously. "What do you mean?" He asks quietly. The two start making their way out of the theater. He wants to stay with Eli for as long as possible, and decides he'll bring up getting food once they're in the car again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back