• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dark Hearts

Emmalia didn't say what she was thinking. He could try to kill her. She doubted he'd get far. As if he hadn't said anything threatening, she said, "Well, of course. That's not why I gave you my number, though."

The man pauses. "Then... why did you?" Matt asks quietly. His heart picks up pace. He knew he couldn't get involved with her. Not because he has a girlfriend, but because of what he does. He's come to accept that. Still, he couldn't suppress the small bit of hope he had.

It was a good question that she didn't fully know the answer to. "I guess... I just wanted to talk to you. Again, you seem nice... I dunno, call me curious."

"Okay, Curious. You can call me Matt." Where had that come from? He wasn't sure. "So, talk to me." He had a slight smile on his face. He was more relaxed, but no where near ready to let his guard down.

Em chuckled on her end of the phone. "Alright, Matt. What's your day job?" Suddenly a slightly more important question struck her. "And do you have a girlfriend?"

"I'm a full-time college student. And... yes. I do. But it's complicated." Matt sighs deeply. "What about you? Same questions. Except, you know, girlfriend or boyfriend." He wanted to keep the spotlight off of himself as much as possible.

"No boyfriend or girlfriend. And I'm straight, so no worries about a girlfriend. And I work in a florist's shop. I practically have to run the place, but I don't own it." Again she shrugged, because she forgot that he couldn't see her.  "What's so complicated about your relationship?"

"Sounds tough. And, well, she and I don't really like each other. Our parents set us up. She's kind of abusive to me, and has another boyfriend who she likes better. We can't split, it's arranged, plus in my line of work, it's dangerous for someone on the outside to come in." Matt stares at his feet. His legs are propped up and one of his arms are around his knees.

"If she's abusive, wouldn't your parents want you to break up? Dangerous or not, anything is better than dealing with an abusive relationship, especially when she's cheating." Hitman family or not, it didn't make sense.

"Because if I don't marry her, I basically can't marry anyone. I won't be able to have kids, at least ones I know about..." Matt sighs. Why was he telling a stranger all of this? "Look, if you're planning on making me sit here and talk about my relationship issues, please hang up." He could feel himself closing off, his own confusion irritating him.

"Hey, calm down, now." Her voice had a soothing tone to it. "I'm not making you talk about anything, I'm trying to just make a conversation with you. I like talking to you. But if that upsets you so much... What are you in college for?"

Matt takes a deep breath. "Psychology. I want to be a psychologist. How... how old are you?" Matt asks, not sure if that's an appropriate question to ask. He's also not exactly sure why he asked it.

Interesting question. Truthfully, well, she didn't look her age at all. But the truth hurt. So she said, "I'm twenty-one. How old are you?" She liked the sound of psychology for a major. It was interesting. She didn't have the patience for it, of course, but it was still interesting.

"Twenty-two." Matt found himself smiling slightly. Again, he didn't know why. He hugs his legs closer to himself. "Do you want to know why I study psychology?"

Again, Em nodded for a moment, then realized he couldn't see her. "Yeah. Absolutely, I'd love to know."

"I want to know why people are how they are. Why some are born and grow up to be awful people, and why others are good. And how mental illnesses change a person. My mother, for example, she's schizophrenic. I want to learn about it." Matt picks a stray string off his leg. "I... want to know why I am the way I am. What I did wrong along the way to become a murderer. And why I love it so much." Matt thinks about this a lot. If he should have ran away when he could, or if he should have taken a longer contract in the marines.

Emmalia listened silently to Matt. He didn't sound like any murderer. He sounded like a little boy who was lost. "You can do nothing wrong and still get hurt, you know. It's just how life works. I mean, I used to be an EMT, you'd think that karma'd be nice to me, but I got hurt doing that very job. I spent a while wondering what I did wrong. But there wasn't anything I did wrong.... It's just how life works. So maybe you didn't do anything, life just ended up making you like this. But, if I may... I don't think you love it as much as you think. You don't sound happy about it...."

Matt looks out the window. She might have been right, but who's to say? Matt sure as Hell didn't know what he was doing, other than the studying. He ignores the part about himself and talks about Emmalia. "What happened when you were an EMT?" Matt asks, genuinely curious.

He had a knack for picking sensitive questions. "I... got hurt. Young EMT medic girl working to get to the point of paramedic, I was overworked. I walked away from my partner in a bad neighborhood. The buildings... they were all dilapidated, they shouldn't have been allowed to stay standing.... And I got hurt...." Sure, blame it on the buildings, or at least make it sound like that. Or maybe he'd come to a different assumption. She didn't know, and she didn't care either.

"Oh..." Matt frowns. "I understand. Things happen. At least you're still living and breathing today," Matt says, trying to keep their talk light. 

Em chuckled. "That's very true and very insightful. And I have a job I honestly love, so there's that. Ya know, we should get coffee together some time when you're off class and I'm not working. Unless that's stepping on your girlfriend's feet too much? I just like talking to you and I'm much better face-to-face."

"I'd like that. Don't worry about my girlfriend, she means nothing and she can't cause you harm. Where and when should we go?" Matt asks, a bit excited and getting off the window ledge to find the planner he has on his nighstand. He opens it to show the upcoming week.

Again, she shrugged. When was a good time? "How about tomorrow at noon, around twelve? Same café as earlier today? Would that work for you?"

Matt glances at his planner. "Yeah, that's perfect. It's a date." He says with a slight smirk, feeling himself loosen up.

She couldn't help but smile at his word choice. "A date? Not just a coffee meeting? Well, if you really want to, I suppose I can make it for a date. You're so kind to ask." Silly to act like he'd just asked her on a real date, but at the moment that was how she felt. Silly. "I'll see you tomorrow Matthew. Good night." Before he could say anything else, she hung up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back