World Building Dark Fantasy World-Building

I'll be starting on the map tonight and tomorrow, so I should have some starting drafts by the end of the week.

So I've been doing some thinking about the Undead and I set down to write some stuff. I'm not sure if all undead should be magicked, or if it can happen other ways like through a plague or if they're improperly buried. 

So I've been doing some thinking about the Undead and I set down to write some stuff. I'm not sure if all undead should be magicked, or if it can happen other ways like through a plague or if they're improperly buried. 

Maybe some sort of combination could be possible. People take care to properly cremate their dead, or bury them in coffins, because if they do not, then they are available for rogue spirits to possess and use. Bodies that are buried without a coffin might have the chance to dig their way out of the ground, which becomes especially troublesome when Animators cause rogue malevolent spirits to escape, or during the season in which spirits are more common on the isle.

An amusing side-effect might be that every so often, a benevolent spirit or two might find an improperly buried body, and attempt to use it for a second chance at life.

Back in action, and personally 100% on board with the notion of improper burial occasionally causing undead. 

Maybe some sort of combination could be possible. People take care to properly cremate their dead, or bury them in coffins, because if they do not, then they are available for rogue spirits to possess and use. Bodies that are buried without a coffin might have the chance to dig their way out of the ground, which becomes especially troublesome when Animators cause rogue malevolent spirits to escape, or during the season in which spirits are more common on the isle.

An amusing side-effect might be that every so often, a benevolent spirit or two might find an improperly buried body, and attempt to use it for a second chance at life.

Sounds good. I like that. So basically, I have so far: 

Zombies: Called "ghouls" but they're basically zombies. They are recently deceased and animated by a relatively weak or midling Animator. Their behavior is determined by whether their bodies are inhabited by benevolent or malevolent spirits. Malevolent spirits are the easiest to ensure, as benevolent ones are usually transcendent and gone from the mortal plane. They will physically decay over time and waste away to nothing, although the process is somewhat slower. 

Wights: Wights are the servants of fairly powerful necromancers, Liches. Unlike zombies, wights are mostly skeletal and will not decay over time. Wights are almost exclusively the victims of a curse during their lifetime. The most common example of this is the cursed Army of the Black Banner, once an army of the Free Towns that was defeated in combat by necromantic armies and cursed to serve their adversaries for eternity. Wights are stronger than ghouls, and cannot be killed by physical means. When their limbs are hacked away, their bodies will regenerate to their previous form. They are susceptible to Holy Fire, enchanted weapons, and other such magicks. Wights can be released from their curse, which will cause their corporeal forms to crumble to dust and their soul to transcend. 

Demented: Black magicians who have used their powers to become immortal are the Demented. Although they retain most of the features of normal humans, as time draws nearer for their contract with the black spirits to be renewed their skin becomes an ashen gray, it begins to flake away, and reveal a bare skeleton, their true form. Eventually, the Demented lose their souls entirely and their still-animated corpses will carry out learned habits from the individual's lifetime until they finally crumble to dust. 

Liches: Basically the same as they are in everything else, although I will probably change this at some point. It seems sloppy to use a typical fantasy archtype at this point. 

Pretty content with everything thats been done so far. Throwing together a few more festival days / holidays probably wouldn't hurt, though I'm afraid that's a little outside of my own wheelhouse. I'm in the midst of writing my own tabletop campaign so that's not quite my mindset. 

As we're on the topic of Undead, which in general, falls into the Bestiary, I could get a jump on that. 

Pretty content with everything thats been done so far. Throwing together a few more festival days / holidays probably wouldn't hurt, though I'm afraid that's a little outside of my own wheelhouse. I'm in the midst of writing my own tabletop campaign so that's not quite my mindset. 

As we're on the topic of Undead, which in general, falls into the Bestiary, I could get a jump on that. 

That would be awesome. Just kick in your ideas on what they should be like. 

Will be on my phone until tomorrow evening, so Ill stick to brainstorming and dump some examples tomorrow evening. 

(Organization could probably use some refining. Sorta threw things in as I thought of them, for the first two paragraphs. I'll restructure if the general idea is approved of.)

Gralkin: 

Gralkin are, in the most technical sense, two separate entities. As the Gralkin exist in phases, they will be described according to their stages of development, which follow a linear progression. In general terms, however, a Gralkin is a beast that shares a magical symbiotic relationship with a tree. Instead of relying on typical photosynthesis, the Gralkin consumes prey during the night, and binds to its host during the day to pass on nutrients. In return for being fed, the tree provides shelter to the Gralkin during the day, when their highly photosensitive eyes render them nearly blind. When stressed or fighting, they make a noise not unlike the shrieking of bats. As hunters, the Gralkin are known for their ambush-like behaviors, particularly attacking from thick brush or underground tunnels. As Gralkin are highly territorial, hunting almost exclusively within a five mile ring around their tree, it is rare to see them near settlements. 

Gralkin typically come in dark shades of red, brown, and occasionally black. They are scaled and cold-blooded, with extremely honed senses of smell and night-vision. They are highly predatory and isolationist creatures, though clever farmers have learned to use them as rodent hunters. By allowing a Gralkin to hunt near a farm, rats and other rodents can be eliminated. However, this requires great caution - if a Gralkin progresses beyond the Sapling stage, it may begin targeting humans or livestock. To prevent this from happening, one can simply assault the tree - destroying tree limbs and gashing the bark is often enough to force the tree to demand additional nutrients from the Gralkin, which suffers stunted growth from being forced to pass on more of its take.  

1. Sapling: As a Sapling, the tree itself is young and only beginning to grow. During this stage, the Gralkin is roughly infant sized. Its body consists of four legs attached to a central thorax. Each leg terminates with a set of talons which allow the beast to climb or kill its prey. The Gralkin's body is also its head, with its sensory organs positioned on the front side at about mid-level, with four eyes and a pair of slits which act as a hyper-sensitive nose. The underside of the body is a nightmarish ring of teeth, which are used by lowering the body down onto the slain prey and "flexing" of the core muscles which perform a chewing-like activity. At this stage of growth, it is capable of killing rodents, birds, and the infants of some other species, but a swift kick from a boot is often enough to severely wound the beast. 

2. Adolescent: As the Gralkin reaches adolescence, its tree has likely grown to a respectable size, blending in with the rest of its surroundings. During this stage, the Gralkin typically grows another two legs to help support itself, as it has grown to be about 600 pounds, 3 feet high, 4 feet wide, and 6 feet long. Its legs extend another four feet in every direction, and its claws grow to near-dagger like lengths. Throughout this stage, the Gralkin preys primarily on whatever fauna it comes across, and any human unfortunate enough to enter its territory. 

3. Elder: By this stage, the tree has grown to truly absurd heights, dwarfing the forest around it. This makes the beasts home fairly easy to identify, whereas other stages require some greater ability to discern regular trees from the host. However, daring to approach the tree is a fool's errand. As an Elder, which usually takes nearly 100 years of unchecked growth, the Gralkin has essentially doubled in size from adolescence. No longer a stealthy beast, the Gralkin is a monster of brute force and rage, its thick hide nearly impervious to common weaponry and its talons capable of piercing plate armor, and entire villages have fallen to the rampaging of a hungry Elder. Fortunately, Gralkin rarely reach this stage. Periodic wildfires often kill them off before they mature fully, and it is not the blade, but the torch, which is most likely to slay an Elder. Even this is a dangerous quest - the Gralkin's sense of smell is often enough to warn them of danger, even in the midst of their sunlit hibernation. 

Thoughts? Can add more, or edit in general, or scrap it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
(Organization could probably use some refining. Sorta threw things in as I thought of them, for the first two paragraphs. I'll restructure if the general idea is approved of.)

Gralkin: 

Gralkin are, in the most technical sense, two separate entities. As the Gralkin exist in phases, they will be described according to their stages of development, which follow a linear progression. In general terms, however, a Gralkin is a beast that shares a magical symbiotic relationship with a tree. Instead of relying on typical photosynthesis, the Gralkin consumes prey during the night, and binds to its host during the day to pass on nutrients. In return for being fed, the tree provides shelter to the Gralkin during the day, when their highly photosensitive eyes render them nearly blind. When stressed or fighting, they make a noise not unlike the shrieking of bats. As hunters, the Gralkin are known for their ambush-like behaviors, particularly attacking from thick brush or underground tunnels. As Gralkin are highly territorial, hunting almost exclusively within a five mile ring around their tree, it is rare to see them near settlements. 

Gralkin typically come in dark shades of red, brown, and occasionally black. They are scaled and cold-blooded, with extremely honed senses of smell and night-vision. They are highly predatory and isolationist creatures, though clever farmers have learned to use them as rodent hunters. By allowing a Gralkin to hunt near a farm, rats and other rodents can be eliminated. However, this requires great caution - if a Gralkin progresses beyond the Sapling stage, it may begin targeting humans or livestock. To prevent this from happening, one can simply assault the tree - destroying tree limbs and gashing the bark is often enough to force the tree to demand additional nutrients from the Gralkin, which suffers stunted growth from being forced to pass on more of its take.  

1. Sapling: As a Sapling, the tree itself is young and only beginning to grow. During this stage, the Gralkin is roughly infant sized. Its body consists of four legs attached to a central thorax. Each leg terminates with a set of talons which allow the beast to climb or kill its prey. The Gralkin's body is also its head, with its sensory organs positioned on the front side at about mid-level, with four eyes and a pair of slits which act as a hyper-sensitive nose. The underside of the body is a nightmarish ring of teeth, which are used by lowering the body down onto the slain prey and "flexing" of the core muscles which perform a chewing-like activity. At this stage of growth, it is capable of killing rodents, birds, and the infants of some other species, but a swift kick from a boot is often enough to severely wound the beast. 

2. Adolescent: As the Gralkin reaches adolescence, its tree has likely grown to a respectable size, blending in with the rest of its surroundings. During this stage, the Gralkin typically grows another two legs to help support itself, as it has grown to be about 600 pounds, 3 feet high, 4 feet wide, and 6 feet long. Its legs extend another four feet in every direction, and its claws grow to near-dagger like lengths. Throughout this stage, the Gralkin preys primarily on whatever fauna it comes across, and any human unfortunate enough to enter its territory. 

3. Elder: By this stage, the tree has grown to truly absurd heights, dwarfing the forest around it. This makes the beasts home fairly easy to identify, whereas other stages require some greater ability to discern regular trees from the host. However, daring to approach the tree is a fool's errand. As an Elder, which usually takes nearly 100 years of unchecked growth, the Gralkin has essentially doubled in size from adolescence. No longer a stealthy beast, the Gralkin is a monster of brute force and rage, its thick hide nearly impervious to common weaponry and its talons capable of piercing plate armor, and entire villages have fallen to the rampaging of a hungry Elder. Fortunately, Gralkin rarely reach this stage. Periodic wildfires often kill them off before they mature fully, and it is not the blade, but the torch, which is most likely to slay an Elder. Even this is a dangerous quest - the Gralkin's sense of smell is often enough to warn them of danger, even in the midst of their sunlit hibernation. 

Thoughts? Can add more, or edit in general, or scrap it. 

I quite like them.

Sorry for the long wait, I was caught up with a bit of computer trouble and other distractions, but work on the map has now begun. The outline is on its way, and more will soon follow.

unknown.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the long wait, I was caught up with a bit of computer trouble and other distractions, but work on the map has now begun. The outline is on its way, and more will soon follow.

Looks good so far. I'm interested to see what we do with the detached island. 

Looks good so far. I'm interested to see what we do with the detached island. 

Part of me considered making that some sort of single, gigantic mountain, yet considering that the island is somewhat based off of the British Isles, some sort of highland setup could also work for that.

Part of me considered making that some sort of single, gigantic mountain, yet considering that the island is somewhat based off of the British Isles, some sort of highland setup could also work for that.

It could be reminiscent of Scotland the Northern Isles. 

Alright @Vudukudu and @_Line 213 I am back with more worldbuilding goodies. Here is the list of armors for the world. It may expand, but this is what we have so far.

Note, this is one of the places where the setting overlaps with Medieval aesethetics, as these armors are very much forged to look like knightly armor.

Armor Types: 

*in parenthesis are the pieces necessary for a full set

Leather Armor (Tunic, Cap, Boots, Bracers, Leggings) 

Leather Armor is the most commonly-worn type of armor, usually employed by travellers or those who live on the frontier. Made of the hide of the domestic Horned Greatbeast, this armor is tough and will shield the wearer from lacerations and animal bites. It is, however, relatively weak against metal weaponry or arrows. 

Protects against: Bites, small knives and sharp flora 

Weak against: swords, arrows, crossbolts, cast spells 

Bronze Plate (Helmet, Boots, Leg-segments, Cuirass, Pauldrons, Arm-segments)

Bronze Plate armor is a step above leather armor in terms of protection, although not particularly strong. Its malleable nature allows it to absorb the shock of arrows, but it also makes it susceptible to blunt blows from axes, hammers, and heavy swords. Bronze Plate is worn mostly by the lower ranks of various City Guards. 

Protects against: arrows, animals, environment, bladed weapons and slashing attacks

Weak against: heavy melee weapons, crossbolts, cast spells

Bronze Mail (Hauberk, Coif) 

Mail armor is a mesh of interwoven rings. Bronze Mail is the weakest form of mail, but is still useful to defend against slashes made with bladed weapons and thrusts by swords or polearms. Typically, plate armor is worn over the mail to give some level of protection from blunt weapons, as mail is poor at defending against those as well as arrows. An adventurer that combines plate armor with mail can protect vulnerable areas from slashing attacks. 

Protects against: bladed weapons and slashing attacks, thrusting attacks

Weak against: arrows, crossbolts, blunt weapons, cast spells

Steel Plate (Helmet, Boots, Leg-segments, Cuirass, Pauldrons, Arm-segments)

Steel Plate armor is a step above Bronze Plate and will defend against all but the heaviest blunt force weapons and crossbolts. Usually worn by professional explorers and City Guard Sergeants. 

Protects against: arrows, bladed weapons, light blunt force weapons

Weak against: heavy blunt weapons, crossbolts, cast spells 

Steel Mail (Hauberk, Coif) 

Steel Mail is a step above Bronze Mail, and as such is stronger and more durable. Despite this, it still leaves the wearer vulnerable to concussive force. 

Protects against: slashing and thrusting attacks

Weak against: blunt melee weapons, arrows, crossbolts, cast spells

Skaeorite Plate (Cuirass) 

Skaeorite is a metal with special alchemical properties that make it tough and resistant to magick. Because of its strength, it is hard to smith and can only be molded into a cuirass. The metal takes on a blackish-silver hue when smithed, and is by far the strongest metal used in armor. 

Protects against: melee weapons, arrows, cast spells and enchantments

Weak against: nothing, but leaves extremities exposed

Vanderium Plate (Helmet, Boots, Leg-segments, Cuirass, Pauldrons, Arm-segments)

Vanderium is an expensive but highly coveted metal. It is famed for its initial malleability, golden shine, and resistance. 

Protects against: most melee weaponry, arrows

Weak against: cast spells, crossbolts

Vanderium Mail (Hauberk, Coif) 

Mail forged of Vanderium, the golden steel, is tougher than steel mail and can protect the wearer against arrows fired at vulnerable areas in the armor. 

Protects against: slashing and thrusting attacks, light blunt weaponry, arrows

Weak against: cast spells, crossbolts 

The Paladin's Armor (Helmet, Boots, Leg-segments, Cuirass, Pauldrons, Arm-segments)

The Paladin's Armor is a legendary suit of armor forged of Gleylium, an alloy of Vanderium and Skaeorite. The alloy combines the magick properties of Skaeorite with the malleability of Vanderium to produce a suit of armor with awesome protective abilities. This form of armor was worn by the famous knights of the Host of Lord Deramore before he was defeated in combat by the Black Banner. Only three complete sets of Paladin's Armor have ever been located, and they are mostly held in museums and private collections. This makes a full set of armor priceless.

Protects against: everything

Weak against: nothing, although the metal is not invincible. Repeated blows from enchanted weapons can damage it.

Now, I know for instance that Paladin's Armor is, in effect, very OP. But, it's more for lore value than anything else, as the players will likely never acquire even a piece of Paladin's Armor.

What's to stop them from writing it in as their starting equipment? Well, I had this idea built into the character creation system. Every character starts the game with 100 silver that they can use to buy weapons, armor, and items to equip their character at the start. This would allow people to customize their characters while keeping things balanced.

So for perspective, a leather tunic might be 50 silver. A club or a rusty sword might be 30 silver, and two healing tonics might be 20. So there you go, you're kitted out with low-level armor and weapons.

To put that in perspective, a piece of Paladin's Armor (if you can find someone who has it as is willing to sell it) would cost something to the tune of 10,000 silver. And that's just for, say the helmet.

I'm working on weapons now, I will post those soon.

Sorry Ive been spotty in contributions, both here and in NMC. I'll be back in soonish. Been settling in at a new university and just had a guest all weekend. Eager to jump back in though. 

Back to the bestiary. 

Bubblers / Water-Wights

Water-wights, more commonly known as "bubblers" due to the small stream of bubbles that float to the surface of the water they emit, are the animated corpses of the drowned dead. Resurrected most often by the machinations of the Warp, these creatures are the bane of a fisherman's existence. They hunt sometimes by wandering the shorelines of rivers and the seas, simply chasing down nearby prey and bludgeoning them to death with their bare hands. However, it is far more likely one will encounter a Bubbler while on a riverboat, where it will attempt to overturn the boat or simply pull you out of it while you aren't looking out for it. Once under the water, it simply holds you until you drown and drags you to the riverbed. Once it has insured you are dead, often by slashing the victim's throat with its salt-hardened nails, it buries the lower half of the corpse beneath the river bottom's mud. This keeps the body in place until it eventually reanimates, frees itself, and begins hunting alongside its killer. This way, Bubblers often form small hordes in rivers, often numbering between three and a dozen.

Fortunately for mankind, Water-wights are remarkably fragile as far as beasts go. Water exposure weakens their flesh, and sufficient trauma of any sort is often enough to slay one permanently. 

I'll probably just compose the rest in a word document and share it when it's readyish.

Back to the bestiary. 

Bubblers / Water-Wights

Water-wights, more commonly known as "bubblers" due to the small stream of bubbles that float to the surface of the water they emit, are the animated corpses of the drowned dead. Resurrected most often by the machinations of the Warp, these creatures are the bane of a fisherman's existence. They hunt sometimes by wandering the shorelines of rivers and the seas, simply chasing down nearby prey and bludgeoning them to death with their bare hands. However, it is far more likely one will encounter a Bubbler while on a riverboat, where it will attempt to overturn the boat or simply pull you out of it while you aren't looking out for it. Once under the water, it simply holds you until you drown and drags you to the riverbed. Once it has insured you are dead, often by slashing the victim's throat with its salt-hardened nails, it buries the lower half of the corpse beneath the river bottom's mud. This keeps the body in place until it eventually reanimates, frees itself, and begins hunting alongside its killer. This way, Bubblers often form small hordes in rivers, often numbering between three and a dozen.

Fortunately for mankind, Water-wights are remarkably fragile as far as beasts go. Water exposure weakens their flesh, and sufficient trauma of any sort is often enough to slay one permanently. 

I'll probably just compose the rest in a word document and share it when it's readyish.

I like it. 

Oh, another thing --

You mentioned "100 silver" starting for items, which seems like you're intent on having something regarding a formalized character creation process. As a long-time tabletop RPG player, I could formulate a pretty malleable system which would allow you to create a variety of characters within a framework. On the subject of currency, for example, it wouldn't make much sense for a peasant character to have the same starting wealth as a noble. This also applies to general life skills and other particular talents characters may have. 

Given a bit of time, I could create something that gives structure without being too terribly restrictive. 

Oh, another thing --

You mentioned "100 silver" starting for items, which seems like you're intent on having something regarding a formalized character creation process. As a long-time tabletop RPG player, I could formulate a pretty malleable system which would allow you to create a variety of characters within a framework. On the subject of currency, for example, it wouldn't make much sense for a peasant character to have the same starting wealth as a noble. This also applies to general life skills and other particular talents characters may have. 

Given a bit of time, I could create something that gives structure without being too terribly restrictive. 

How about nobles get more money to start with, but their characters are less skilled, not as strong and adept because they don't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back