• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Danger and deceit (Completed)

The journey lasted for a while, with the giant taking long and painfully slow steps. Louisa begun to be lulled into sleep and she would have dozed off if it wasn't for Logan's constantly prattling voice in her ears.

"You've been in there for two hours now. And hour more and I'll have to get you out otherwise you'll die of exhaustion. You normal humans are not very resilient to the influence of magical plains. If you were an elf, then maybe you would have been able to last longer. Ugh, I should have found an elf for this really. You are pretty useless now that I think about it."

It went for a while longer, his endless unsatisfied bickering. Then the giant finally stopped and reached for Louisa again, picking her up and setting her down on the shore. She was just underneath the castle now, though she was in a forest among the trees of various shapes and sizes and was not able to see if there was an entrance on this side of the castle. The giant moved away, returning across the lake without a word.

There was an apple tree just close to Louisa, with its beautiful green fruits hanging overhead. Her stomach grumbled slightly, it had been some time since she ate.

- Take the apple.
- Don't take the apple.

"Shove off already," Louisa murmured hardheartedly, feeling herself doze off again. She perked up when the giant reached in to retrieve her; the rush of being so high up and quickly coming to shore blew her eyes wide. As the soles of her boots touched the ground, Louisa turned and offered the giant a grateful smile.

Then she yawned, for while she was more awake now, Louisa was still very tired. With a quick rub of her eyes, she looked around. Not far from her was an apple tree. As if on cue, her stomach rumbled, though it was not nearly as loud as the days before. Helping Zacharias had gotten her not only some coin, but a breakfast as well. As uncomfortable as it was, Louisa was confident she could go a little longer with an empty belly.

She did eye the fruit curiously despite deciding not to eat it. "Logan," she asked, "assuming that tree wouldn't return me home, what would happen if I ate it? Or, really, anything from this world?"

"Don't touch the apple!" Logan yelled. "Do you have a cloth to fold it in or something? If you do then do it and take it for later. You will be able to use it to get back, so be careful not to touch it at all until then. Everything familiar will bring you home after a slightest touch." He paused for a while considering the question that she actually asked before. "I'm not sure, but it would be the best not to eat anything."

There was a distant sound of hooved feet on the ground. The same sound that greeted her when she arrived at the plains for the first time. It looked like those dark creatures were residents of the forests, since there were none on the field before.

"Oh hell." Logan hissed. "Those are the worst. Take an apple quickly, you might need to use it earlier than I hoped."

- Wrap it up with the torn cloak.
- Try to put it into one of your pouches somehow.
- Touch it with your bare hand.
- Leave it.

Uh oh. The familiar and foreboding sound pushed her fatigue to the back of her mind, though it still clawed at her, if not feebly.

Quickly, Louisa set to work unwrapping the crypt book from the cloak. Once the fabric was free, she used it to grab the apple with one hand and safely drop it into a pouch. From there, she haphazardly wrapped the book back up - it ended up more of a tangle, really, for she was rushing - and looked towards the sound of the thudding hooves. She could not tell if it was getting closer or not.

"Logan," she whispered urgently, "you can sense things here, correct? Guide me." With the realm shrouded in night, Louisa doubted she'd be able to distinguish the realm's residents without outside help.

"Just go straight on. They are not very close." Logan said as Louisa continued her journey. She walked through the forest filled with strange trees. Some of them were the twisted ones from before, some of them formed intricate shapes with their thin branches and some of them had flowers of brightest colors that she had ever seen. It was very strange that she did not hear any bird nor saw any bug or beetle anywhere. This more than anything else, was proof that she was not in her world.

12d2ba49c4b8bfed012943dc0e172bb4.jpg

A stream cut off her path. It went towards the lake, connecting with it. It was not very deep, but it would still make her boots wet if she chose to walk over it directly. There was a fallen tree nearby, making a bridge over the stream.

- Go through water.
- Go over the tree.

"The moment you sense them get anywhere near, I trust you'll tell me," Louisa said, walking through the forest. Like the rest of the realm, the forest itself was different, but incredibly mesmerizing with it's aesthetic. As she walked, Louisa admired the different colors of the leaves and the spindly, decorative branches.

She came upon the small stream and stopped at it's edge. The last thing she wanted was sopping wet boots, all squishy and squeaking. Off to the side she spotted a fallen tree trunk; a perfect bridge, it'd make. She stepped up onto it and opted to head across that way.

Just as she crossed over to the other side, Logan's alarmed voice reach her. "They are here."

And it appeared. On the other side of the stream, just a couple of steps away from Louisa stood a creature. It was hidden in darkness despite the lights that illuminated the whole area. It looked like this creature carried the darkness with it wherever it went. Underneath the cloak of black whispy smoke all Louisa could distinguish were four long legs ending with hooves. One leg anxiously dug at the ground.

"It's going to attack us!" Logan yelled out. "Quickly, get the apple."

- Go home.
- Stay.

Louisa came to an abrupt halt just as her first foot touched the ground. It was so close. She stared at the shadowy creature, eyes flickering towards it's hooves. Or it's horse's hooves? Louisa wasn't certain really what the hooves belonged to but she figured she'd been curious enough for one day.

In one swift movement Louisa shoved a hand into the pouch, her finger just barely grazing the apple inside.

"Screw it all!" Logan exclaimed in frustration as Louisa was brought back to the real world, losing her balance from the abrupt movement and being forced down on her knees. Logan kicked one of the empty crates, grunting in malcontent. "It fooled me! That vile creature! I did not feel it coming at all!" He let out a long groan. "We were so close."

Finally he noticed Louisa and ran up to her, this time pulling her up without asking. She was feeling dizzy now, much worse than before and she had no strength left in her legs. As Logan helped her up she had to lean on him to keep steady.

"It's because of that thing." Logan said through clenched teeth. "They are never good news." It was mid of the afternoon now and Louisa had to think about her accomodation for the night. She would also need some rest as soon as possible as well as a warm meal.

- Sleep in the Three Legged Mare again.
- Sleep in Seoc's home.
- Sleep somewhere else.

Fatigue hit her like a galloping horse, knocking her to her knees. Being so tired - not to mention hungry - made it hard to think, but some of what Logan said registered with her. She ignored the flare of his temper, too absorbed in her own situation to really care much. When he brought her to her feet Louisa hadn't been expecting it. With a surprised "Whoa!" she leaned into him, fingers curling around his bicep to steady her.

Louisa decided right then and there that whatever that creature was, it wasn't something she wanted to tangle with again.

After a beat she stepped away from Logan, no longer completely invading his personal space but still gripping his arm as a means of support. She rubbed her eyes with one hand. A yawn forced itself past her lips and she blinked blearily. If her calculations were correct, she had thirty silver on her person. That was more than enough to earn her a room back at the Three Legged Mare, but it was such a walk. Louisa didn't really want to spend the coin, either, not when Seoc was expecting another two-thirds of payment at some point.

Seoc.

She let go of Logan quickly, as if burned. Louisa was exhausted, yes, but that did not give her the right to lean on Logan in the way she had. It did not entitle her to asking to stay with him for the night, either. No. She'd already skirted the rabbit hole once during this mission and she simply refused to do it again, lest she fall down deep. It didn't help that, despite his foul temper, Logan had proved to be a good guy after all.

Not a bit more. With anyone.

"Logan, I-"

Stop it.

"-I should probably head back to the tavern," Louisa said finally. Yes, the tavern is where she would go. Back to the Three Legged Mare. She gave him a tired smile. "Thank you for your help, and the experiment was... interesting, as always."

"Like hell you are." Logan moved to stand right between Louisa and the doors. "You are going to collapse just two steps outside. Then some barbarian is going to find you, rape you and kill you. And I will feel responsible." He crossed his arms across his chest. "No. I'm not going to suffer just because you are a weak idiot. You are staying here for a while until your strength returns. Then, if I judge that you are good to go I will let you go. Understood?"

- Accept.
- Try to refuse.

"No," Louisa said instantly. Then she gave herself a mental slap across the face. Logan was just trying to help - he seemed concerned for her. Concerned! - yet she'd been so rude as to turn him down without a second thought. And for what?

My sanity.

"I mean no thank you," she quickly corrected herself. It was too tempting to agree; too tempting to stay and spend time here with him, granted she'd be sleeping through most of it. Damn it all and her opening of Pandora's box. Regardless of how staying with Logan might go, Louisa was not ready for any kind of development with anyone. She couldn't. She refused. Yet she'd be lying if she said she didn't want to.

It was high time she got out of there before she changed her mind.

"I appreciate the concern, Logan, but I will be just fine," Louisa insisted.

Last edited:
Logan's eyes darkened and eyebrows furrowed. He raised his hand and the air around Louisa shifted again. An invisible force lifted her up, rendering her immobile.

"I don't like stubborn people." Logan shook his head and flicked his wrist, moving Louisa slowly through the air. "Look, I'm going to keep you there until you come to your senses or pass out from exhaustion. It's your choice really." He shrugged and passed by her going to the crates on the other side of the room.

- Give up.
- Persist.

"And I don't- whoa!" Louisa certainly hadn't expected him to use magic, least of all on her. With a yelp of surprise she was lifted into the air, legs swinging and feet kicking.

"Logan! Put me down!" It was the oddest version of being manhandled she'd ever experienced in her life. Louisa watched him pass her, making a fruitless attempt at grabbing him - she was exhausted, and struggling against his magic and own stubbornness was not helping. Eventually, she relented, hovering limp in the air. "Fine," she sighed. "Have it your way. Let me down?"

On the matter of staying, Louisa appeared not to have a choice; part of her screamed in frustration while the other, the quickly growing majority, felt relieved. She could say with a clear conscience that it hadn't been her idea. She'd insisted against it, even. Yet Logan had matched her in persistence - topped her, by the looks of it - and here she was.

Beneath her breath, she mumbled, slightly amused by it all: "And you called me stubborn."

Logan turned toward her, not at all amused by her answer. "I'm not being stubborn, I'm being responsible about it." He snorted and waved a hand and Louisa was gently put down on the floor.

While she was recovering from the magical manhandling, Logan pulled out two blankets and set them in a corner. Then he produced a vial of something bright green and brought it to Louisa.

"Drink this. It will restore your stamina." The potion did not look appealing at all. "Then go there and rest." He gestured at the blankets. "I'll keep watch." He averted his gaze after saying the last part, shoved the potion into Louisa hand and quickly moved away from her. As he was turning his back on her, a small blush covered his cheeks.

- Listen to him.
- Don't listen.
- Try to start a conversation.

When he'd grabbed the blankets, Louisa rolled her eyes behind his back. She didn't like admitting it but Logan wasn't wrong - at least, not completely. Responsible, yes, but still stubborn. It was then she'd realized that, in her pride, self-preservation, or whatever her insistence was on not staying, she'd been willing to put her safety at risk.

What a mess am I, she shook her head.

Louisa quirked a brow at his shift in demeanor. He seemed almost bashful now in place of the confidence he'd worn before. Despite having the vial shoved into her hands, Louisa let a smile slip through; he was certainly an intriguing character. With a tentative sniff, she downed the potion in one go and sat down on the corner blankets.

Though she found she didn't want to rest, now. She wanted to talk. Quickly racking her brain for conversation topics, Louisa settled on one that could lead into a story.

"Say," she began, "have you ever fought a wingless chimera?"

Logan turned toward her now, raising an eyebrow in wonder. "I have not." Then he continued fumbling with his books and vials and whatever else did he take out of the crates he had lying around. "Why are you asking? I have never seen any kind of a chimera in my life, though I know that they are very dangerous creatures. Their fangs and claws are coated in poison and they are supposedly very fast. However, I remember reading that they like lemons." He chuckled for himself, which was quite an adorable sound.

The potion that Louisa drank tasted very foul, like rotten eggs, but she felt invigorated after drinking it and the strength was returning to her. She did start to feel very sleepy though.

- Say about your encounter.
- Ask what creatures did he encounter before.

Louisa hummed, listening, before scowling suddenly at the aftertaste that spread on her tongue. The fatigue on her muscles faded but she felt her eyelids grow heavy. Whether or not she wanted to, Louisa would be asleep shortly.

The sound of Logan's laugh made her smile at him more openly than before - though that may be because she'd grown too tired for her silly pretenses. "Lemons?" she mused. "I ask because I've fought one. Was absolutely-," she broke her tale to stifle a yawn, "-terrifying. Barely escaped with my life."

She lay down on the blankets, then, eyes closing. "I'd tell you where it happened," Louisa began to doze off, "but you might go and try feeding it lemons..."

Logan did speak something in turn, but Louisa did not hear him as she dozed slowly away. She could hair faint clicking and shuffling as he continued with his work and the murmur of his voice as he spoke, either for himself or to her, she would never find out.

--

In the middle of the night another body laid down on the blankets next to Louisa, his back turned away from her, but very close. He did not say anything, very slowly laying down and taking a comfortable position, making sure not to make any loud sounds as to not wake her up. It was a little cold in the warehouse and the warmth of another body next to her made quite a difference. Still feeling tired, Louisa could pretend she did not notice anything and continue sleeping, or get up and leave.

- Stay.
- Leave.

Everything had, more or less, been alright until someone lay down next to her. Louisa's eyes popped open but shut them just as quick; If she couldn't see him, she could tell herself it hadn't happened.

If it hadn't happened, she wouldn't have to get up and trudge around after dark looking for an inn.

And if she didn't have to leave she could stay here, comfortable and warm, which was something she really wanted to do.

So Louisa pretended.

Last edited:
"Get up!" Logan shook her out of her slumber. "Hurry up, I don't have a whole to waste unlike you!" He was back with his usual frown and his usual short temper which was not suffered by many. He seemed to be in a great hurry to get away or get Louisa out of his storage room so he was able to focus his attention elsewhere. Probably to one of his many experiments.

Louisa had slept through most of yesterday, so she had to continue with her investigation. She only had breakfast in a whole day too, so it was not surprising that her stomach would growl as soon as she opened her eyes. If she wanted to kill two birds with one stone she could go to the Three Legged Mare and wait for Miss Fortune to make her appearance there, eating in the meantime. If she wanted to do some work in the meantime, Zacharias would probably have something for her.

- Go to the tavern.
- Go elsewhere.

After falling back asleep in the middle of the night, Louisa had slept soundly, dead to the world. So when Logan shook her awake it took her an extra few seconds to oblige. But when she did wake, she scowled; the Logan she'd met day one was back.

Sitting up, she shrugged his hand away. "Good morning to you, too," Louisa said. She rose and stretched her arms above her head, back popping with the motion. What did she have to do today, again?

Right. She had to meet with Miss Fortune about the book she'd found. Grab some breakfast, too, and hopefully some work while she waited for the pretty bard to show up. After gathering her things and heading to the door, she glanced back at the grumpy mage.

"Thank you," she said. And then she left.

Logan murmured something in return that could have been a "you're welcome" but also very likely to be a "get out already". Either way Louisa left his warehouse, which could arguably be where he spent most of his nights in too, and went towards the Three Legged Mare.

Zacharias greeted her on the doors, waving her over. "Good morning, miss. Are you hungry? I'll have some breakfast ready for you free of charge if you help me to bring in the fruit crates from the back." He said, gesturing with his thumb toward the doors behind the counter.

- Help him.
- Just wait for Miss and order breakfast.

Feeling rather refreshed from a good night's (or half a day's) sleep and a stamina potion, Louisa was eager to help out. Especially if it meant earning a free meal and killing some time she'd be spending thinking.

Which was one thing she'd rather not do right now.

"Of course, Zacharias," she smiled. "I'd be happy to help."

Last edited:
The bald innkeeper nodded and it was obvious that he was pleased. Either with the help or with the company. He did not stop talking for a moment since Louisa started bringing in the crates that were left outside the back doors of the inn. She took in smaller crates of apples and pears, while Zacharias carried sacks of potatoes and two huge pumpkins. He talked about Miss Fortune for the large chunk of the time. About his admiration towards her and the work she did and how sad he would be to see her go again, but hopeful that she would return the next season.

There was something odd that happened when Louisa went out to bring in the last crate of apples. Zacharias was already inside the kitchen, taking great care to have her breakfast hot and ready once she was done. It was then that she caught a glimpse of the tails of a dark cloak disappearing behind the corner of the inn. Anyone with less training and experience would not have been able to notice that brief moment, but to Louisa things were obvious - someone had been watching her.

"Come in, miss." Zacharias called from the kitchen. "Your breakfast is ready!"

- Go eat.
- Go around the corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back