• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Cycle of Magic - d100 based game

xCRAZYxFACEx

The Sane
The Cycle of Magic is a game I've drafted up using a homebrew d100 system. Rolls work a bit like DnD, and the in game universe I would say bears the most resemblance to the Elder Scrolls, for those who are familiar with that. There are seven races, of man, beast, and construct. They all have differences in culture and abilities.

Magic here is created by the combined soul power of all who have died in the world. First, life is created, much like how it begins here on Earth. As life grows, it gains sentience, knowledge, and power. At its peak, this life is then extinguished, from either natural causes or conflict with others. This in turn creates magic from the left over soul, and that magic permeates the world, influencing the next generations. This is the Cycle of Magic.

The game will be mostly focused on the writing aspect of things, and rolls will simply influence how things play out when there is a chance of failure. Whereas most other RPs I've seen go by a play-by-post kind of system, one system that I've tried and works well is intermingled writing. So, everyone writes on the same page (say, google docs) and we create the story that way. So while your individual 'posts' might be shorter, it'll all be part of one larger narrative that doesn't have unseemly breaks.

As for the world, I've already created a large continent that has five great cities that serve as the hubs of civilization and culture. In between are countless towns, hamlets, and smaller cities, all linked by a system of major roads. Magic is very common in this universe, to the point where even the average person is aware of magic and is acclimatized to it, and every store has some sort of anti-magic protection on top of mundane lock-and-key. What that means is you can play just about any kind of character you want, magical or not. In fact, in-universe, its up to the individual how far they want to take their magical knowledge, because nearly everyone has some form of innate magic that is unique to them.

There are also stats in this game, which determine your rolls and your abilities as a character. There's Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Endurance, Intuition, Prowess, and Luck. You get 90 points to spread about them, plus another ten from your racial bonus. This is in a world where the average person has 40 points, plus their racial bonus. Your characters already have some experience under their belt, and now they can go adventuring. It's very much like DnD in that respect.

Well, that's the gist of it. I hope this piqued your interest, because I've already got a lot planned for this game. If you have any questions or want to comment saying you're interested, please, leave a post down below! :)

I don't think I've ever done something like fully collaborating on a story in a doc before while also posting actual posts, but it sounds like an amazing idea and I would love to get involved in that. Consider me interested!

And I also can't wait to look over all the lore, it sounds so cool.

Glad to see you two are interested! I think I'll wait for one or two more people to show interest before putting up the RP, just so there's a good base of people.

three or four people, and the game technically already started. But no one's posted, so I'm assuming they lost interest and just didn't tell me. If you want you can join in if you follow the link above. There shouldn't be any problem with only one person, as long as you're fine with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back