Cursed IC

Elise walked up to Argen, putting a hand on his shoulder "Argen" she said, hoping to get his attention "calm down, please, weather or not you do, i trust this girl, and i want to help.  Think about it, she's stole magical artifacts from not only the king, but her own father, and ran from her luxurious life at the castle because she believed she could stop some evil from happening.  If she wanted, she could have just ignored what she heard from her father, gone back to living a pampered life as a princess like nothing had happened, but instead she gave up everything for what was right.  Does that not mean she deserves some of our trust? After giving up so much? going so far on her own?" she asked, treating it as a question to the Argen but saying it loudly enough for the group to hear.  

In truth, she saw a little of herself in the princess, they were both people who had been used to a vastly different lifestyle, come out into the real world by choice to achieve some goal.  Elise had to admit some bias because of that, but, something about this girl made Elise trust her.  She seemed so convinced what she was doing was the right thing, she had so much willpower and determination towards her goal.  Looking to the rest of the group, she walked over to stand besides Evilin "So let's hear it, who's with the princess and who's against? Speak up now, we need to start moving"  

Benton had moved ahead them during his travel to his secondary hide out but still managed to hear their arguments from the distance. Benton sighed and watched from a distance, wondering if he made the right decision to trust the princess with that group, they seemed capable enough combat wise, but if they couldn't operate as a cohesive team they would only be a detriment and end up hurting the princess. However he had gotten a taste of the princess's personality thanks to listening to their travels and could tell her father had spoiled her rotten before this incident.

Benton sighed, he just couldn't trust them to keep her safe. Which meant one thing... He would have to step in. While this would take away from his research he may be able to learn something about black magic from that boy. Deciding on his course of action Benton emerged from the woods his scent immediately being noticed by the lycan not to mention he wasn't even trying to hide himself anymore.

"Yes Elise..." was all he said. He wasn't going to argue with his contractor and much less over this. Though he did leave her with this, "Learn some respect princess. Out here? Out of your little silk chambers? Your title means nothing. Your just a girl with a quest. Not everyone is just going to blindly go along. You have to earn loyalties and you most certainly have not earned mine." 

Argen turned to ask Dominic which way they needed to go when his eyes went wide as if he had just seen death. He shakes Coda off (gently) and quickly rips his great sword from its sheath with snarls and deep growls rumbling in his chest. "The Black Mage from the Tavern!" Wasting absolutely no time the warrior dips into a low crouch and shifts into his half beast state in a matter of seconds. This time it was voluntary and so the transformation came out much quicker. As his transformation finished he let out a terrifying snarl, wanting to roar his opposition but keeping himself in check, in case the kings men weren't too far away. Gripping his blade with both clawed hands, he widens his stance and prepares for any type of movement or shift in the air. He wouldn't be caught off guard this time. He quickly placed himself between Elise, Coda and the approaching black mage. His eyes were set on the exact position Benton was approaching from.

Alex keep behind slowly following the others,he was wondering now when they where going to catch up with the princess. He had no idea how the princess was traveling this fast,or who she was traveling with. He thought back to that mess of a inn they passed she must of had powerful allies. Maybe the princess was powerful herself he though. Still though Alex though about why he was sent on this mission above all other ice mages,maybe they where busy,or just didn't have the time to be sent on a wild goose chase across the kingdoms. He did notice the blood on the trail they where following,even with someone injured how where they traveling so fast. He was preparing for the worst,as he still didn't know anything about his opponent. He was to deep in though he didn't really hear the conversation between Karn and Okami.

Benton held his hands up as he approached the group, " I'm not here to harm any of you..." he said keeping his face hidden under his hood. As he stood in front of the group he tried to keep his magic from leaking out around him. He didn't want to do anything that would cause them to thing he wanted to harm them. He would need to do something.... drastuc. Benton dipped down in a kneeling posture before the princess. " I'm only here to assist the princess. I would like to apologize for any harm I caused you all."

“I’m…” Dominic was about to answer Elise but Argen’s sudden reaction interrupted him.  The man transformed back into a half-wolf half-human, thing.  No one had clarified that for Dominic and it seemed like a bad time to ask because he was warned the black mage was coming back.  Honestly, if Dominic could turn into a half-wolf thing he would join Argen upon hearing that news, he would personally tare the black mage to shreds. 

If anyone had one of these horns it would be this black magic user, Dominic planned out the attack in his head.  The wolf would attack, maybe Elise would fire some arrows, he’d go in and steal the horn and burn it just like he had done with the other.  Unfortunately for Dominic this plan would ultimately fail because the princess was actually the one with the horns and he was misunderstanding everything. 

“Hey, I got your back.”  Dominic said as he took a fighting stance slightly to the right and behind the wolf man.  He had his fists ready, while it was nothing compared to this beast he had fire too. 

Coda stood by Argen and Elise. The mention of the other black mage made him a bit tense. He had seen the guys magic, and knew it wasn't truly solid. Pretty much like all the other black magic users he has come across on this side of the world. When Benton came into view Coda looked him over and took in as much detail of the... Not really a man, but a stitched up corpse in Coda's eyes. But he was brought out of his thoughts when Evilin stepped up. 

"What's your name black mage?" she asked. Evilin had never really meet Benton but had heard stories about the man during her young child years. She had heard word about him being in this area sometime ago. That's when her and her former body guard were heading for before the hunting party caught up to her. Evilin glanced over to Coda, finally a black mage that was willing to help her. But from what she had seen before, she hoped that this black mage would be able to help as well. 

Coda saw the look coming from Evilin and narrowed his eyes a bit at her before looking back to Benton. This black mage gave off a bad vibe to him like other black magic users. If she gave him the horns.... Coda glanced to those ready to fight. This was all going up in flames it seemed. Half of the group was against her and the other half wanted to protect her. Argen had given Coda a bit of hope as to who was part of this group. Even if it was only to pay him back for helping him earlier. Perhaps this Lycan he could trust. He could reveal what the horns were and why they meant a great deal to him. But it still was too soon to see who he could trust besides his friends. 

Meanwhile........

Karn and his men were still taking their time through the forest. It was dark and traveling or even tracking at this hour was something most would not do. But there was a lot at stake. Between Karn looking for the princess, Alex sent to help from another kingdom, and Okami, Seng and Nora looking for Coda.... The search party did not sit right with a lot of them. They were all there for somewhat different reasons. The bigger question was, what will happen after they find the princess and the others? Will things get messy, or will they be able to find some sort of peace among the mess?

Okami and Karn seemed to get along just fine. Seng and Nora chose to keep their distance from the rest of the group. 

"Your friend... The one the princess took. Is he a relation of yours?" Karn asked. Okami shook his head, "I owe Coda my life... That goes for Seng and Nora as well." Okami tried to keep his words small but still answer the General's question. 

Karn nodded as he tried to place more information into the answer without asking. "You all seem very strange as to the different cultures within this realm." Karn got a good look at the group. His eyes shifted to Alex. Mostly trying to compare the difference of culture. "Where are you and your friends from?" He asked. Okami shook his head. "We are not truly from any where. We travel and have no need to settle." Okami lied but with good reason. Even if him and Karn seemed to have an understanding, he didn't need Karn involved in their business. 

Elise looked over the group as they prepared to take their sides, until something seemed to catch their collective attention.  Turning to face whatever it was, Elise had to force herself to not gasp at the sight of the black mage, even with his head obstructed through the hood, it wasn't hard to ignore the fact that his hands were ever so slightly different, in color and size, and that horrible smell, like a rotting corpse.  She took a step back slowly, drawing her bow out of fear before the princess seemed to break the silence.  

Listening on as Evilin questioned the man, Elise looked to Argen, curious to see his reaction.  She wondered why the girl was actually trying to work with this man, it could very easily be some sort of trick.  But, she was on the princesses side, so she decided to trust the girls judgement.  

Still keeping his head bowed Benton said, " I was once called Benton Peterson your majesty. I was once part of the royal court as your father's alchemist and chief researcher into black magic. I am also the one who brought you into this world at the expense of your mother's life. Since then I have only been called a monster, demon, or abomination." Benton made it a point to gauge everyone's reaction of his appearance and their eventual evaluations of him. He needed to see if this lot was up to the task of protecting the princess. 

"It is my wish to protect you Evilin as I promised your late mother that in would look after. If my visage is too repugnant for your other companions I can travel separately but nearby as well." The Frankenstein monster offered in a very matter of fact and monotonous manner. 

The Lycan warrior took a step forward so that he was closer to the mage and let out the ear piercing roar that had been pent up inside his chest since he caught the mages scent several meters out. Again, not capable of words in his half beast state, the beast planted his sword into the ground and started to swing his claws at the air and ground, ripping earth and stone apart in a clear message, "Absolutely not." He had not only almost killed Argen himself but also his employer and that could never be forgiven. He wasn't the type to forgive easily nor to give his trust willingly so when the naive princess even started to consider his joining the group, the beast man whipped his massive head around and gave her a hot golden glare before flicking to Elise in hesitation. She had already basically told him to leave the girl alone but this was madness. She was about let the man who almost killed Elise into the fold and what was even crazier was that his employer actually trusted her. Oh lords, what did he get himself into? 

Deciding against tearing the man to shreds (and the princess), Argen took a few steps back and without looking behind him, reached with a clawed hand and maneuvered Elise so she was behind his person and off to the side, allowing the mage space to walk past but not to get anywhere near his employer. The way he moved Elise wasn't rough but it also didn't give her option. She was going to be placed where he thought she was the safest...well as safe as can be given the situation, whether she agreed or not. That was certainly not in the mage's line of sight and with her back exposed to pompous high class squabble to his left now. Argen now merely kept an very careful eye on every single individual that he considered a threat (at that moment), which was basically everyone except Coda, Dominic, and Elise. No amount of movement or spell casting was going to escape his notice and he would make sure to clamp down on their throats before they finished their movement or incantations.

Yang watched the developments curiously. The princess didn't seem to be too afraid of the mage, and if he had meant them harm, he certainly had the means to do so.

But one thing kept going through his mind. The Guard that had been immobilized and slaughtered for parts. He lifted his drawn sword, and summoned his aura once again, utilizing the magic of force he had mastered to augment his abilities once again. The Lycan was getting worked up again, reverting into a more beastly form, and taking up a threatening posture against the mage...and me? Yang realized with a startled expression that the beast was protecting those behind him against even himself.

He cocked an eyebrow, and said, "I don't think we can trust the man, Princess. He's a murderer of your own people."

Dominic thought it was senseless the others were waiting with bated breath.  He didn't care if this zombie was a doctor, murder, heck even if he was a kindly jester to the king he belonged 6 feet under.  That stitched, decayed flesh, that rotten smell.  Dominic couldn't wait to burn it all, he'd done it before to a black mage and he wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  He let the princess make her introduction, he let Argen threaten, he let the black mage speak his last words, and he even held himself back long enough to let the Oxionian speak his mind.  But that was all the time he would give the foolish magician.  

He didn't speak a word, his hands cupped together to his side he pulled them apart to ignite the sparks.  There was no hiding magic here, no need, he would pull out all the stops.  The fireball flared to life in his hands, it cut through the darkness, lighting the area.  The instant after its formation he hurled it toward the sickly man, he gave little warning to the black mage or his companions. Regardless of whether it hit Dominic prepared a second threateningly.  

"If you all won't kill him, I will."  Dominic huffed his hands ablaze.  

Without even looking up from his kneeling position Benton's shadow reacted to the magical fireball. The shadow bent unnaturally and formed a wall which took the attack without even flinching. A testament to the sacrifice he had paid for it's power. The shield returned to be a shapeless shade.  " Please note that the only act of aggression I have done was to protect the princess and my own life." Benton got up and looked to the boy who had thrown the fire ball as his shadowing wrapped itself around Benton protectively and  growled. Benton folded his hands in front of himself and made no moves to attack.

Things had escalated more than quickly. They were now just out of hand. Coda let his eyes shift over to the princess. He could add to the madness while she was distracted by the fight that was about to break out. Or he could just wait and see what would happen next. 

Waiting to see what would happen next didn't exactly take long as Dominic released a fire ball towards the black mage. The shadows crept around the corpse and protected Benton from the fire. Yeah this wouldn't take long. With the fire in this dark night, they were bound to be found soon now. Coda would make his move and then slip away if possible. Even with a wolf on his sent He was sure no one would care if he walked away. Not even the princess if she now had a new black mage around. 

Evilin's eyes shot wide at what was going on. Her thoughts rang out towards Benton's words about who he was. She had heard of him and he was indeed the man she was looking for. 

"Stop!" She cried out as she quickly stood in the middle of the fight. "This is the black mage I have been looking for." She held up her hands to the others. She turned to Benton. "My father acquired black horns... He wishes to raise a dead army to help him in his upcoming war." She openly told Benton. "I trust you... Please help me stop him and be rid of the darkness." Evilin pleaded and not just to Benton.... To everyone in the group. She looked around to all of them, "I can not do this on my own. I need help." She added. She really did need their help. She needed all of them. 

Coda rolled his eyes and made a sharp tsk sound through his teeth at her words. "Like I had mentioned before. Give me the horns and I will take them back to where they belong. No one will be able to get to them or use them." He told her. 

Elise complied with her partner, stepping behind him, bow drawn, she wasn't sure just how the girl could trust the mage that had attacked them, even with his little story there were just too many variables.  And they didn't even have time to consider things, every minute they stood around arguing was more time that their pursuers could catch up to them.  "People, we're very short on time here, i saw we at least get to safety before we argue about this" she said, hoping to be the voice of reason among her companions.  She personally didn't like the look of this man, but she figured if the princess trusted him then that meant she would have to, after all, they need a black mage apparently, and the more the merrier when you work with such a dark craft.  Looking to where they had come from, Elise scanned the treeline for any signs that they were being followed, she was terrified of what would happen, not just to her, but the princess, if they managed to get captured.   

Benton had the shadow return to normal and did a small bow to the princess, putting his stitched together hand over his heart, " It would be my pleasure to help you stop the madness your father plans." With his conformation to the princess and the group Benton glanced over to Coda. The boy seemed to have a similar presence to himself, but somehow.. purer. Was that the word he wanted to use? It seemed like the boy had an understanding about something he did not and was better off for it, such as these black horns. 

Benton had found references to a tool that amplified black magic while lessening the effect on the caster, but he had never been able to find one given he was constantly testing new spells and he didn't really go into any city to find the local smugglers den. "Your friend is right. This is neither the time or place to bicker between one another. If you all still can't trust me, bind my hands and seal my speech. Whatever it is you feel is necessary for you to travel with me. Once we are safe we can calmly discuss my joining this group." 

Dominic wasn't letting up.  The flames on his arms growing to match his frustration.  

"Oh trust isn't an issue here, Black magic is evil.  I don't care if you're the most trustworthy person here.  I don't care if the princess thinks you can stop the end of the world."  Dominic paused for a moment as a realization came to him.  "She's crazy..."  he muttered with wide eyes.  The princess had gone mad and was collecting black magic users to create her own army to overthrow her father, that was the treachery, that's why they were hunting her, she wanted that undead army all to herself.  

He prepared another fireball, a big bright one, but instead of throwing it at the mage, he threw it up into the air, the ball soared high into the sky, sparked and exploded, shimmering fire rained down like a firework.  It was beautiful, and highly visible all around.  The sparkling effect as the fire fell was his signature, not that anyone would recognize it here.  The hunting soldiers would easily be able to see that flare.  

"No one is safe here anymore."  Dominic began backing away from the wolf man, knowing he was the only real threat if he planned on lashing out.  "So argue all you want, the soldiers will be here soon and I'm handing over the princess, her captive, and the zombie."  He threatened, poised to fight.  

"YOU FOOL!" Benton shouted thrusting his hand at the boy and his enchanted shadow bent in a strange direction before shooting across the ground towards Dominic. When the shadow got a few feet away from Dominic it split into 5 pieces and circled him for a moment before the shadows launched from the ground in the form of spikes attempting to pierce and detain the traitor. If he was going to try and harm the princess and Benton himself he would leave him here to meet the enemy. 

Dominic did very little to dodge the shadows, he was already injured, not exactly in the most agile of conditions.  He was fast enough to take a step back with his good leg dodging three of the shadow spikes heading toward one side of his body.  But his bad leg was sluggish, the shadow skimmed his calf and the other pierced his foot rooting him.  

He did not make an effort to hide his pain, his jaw was clenched and he was breathing heavily.  He kneeled down to struggle at the spikes with his burning hands.  

"The magic is evil, and he's quick to use it, do you people not see he should be destroyed not bargained with?"  He wanted them to see the monster they were considering working with and was prepared to shed more blood.  He only had to survive until the guards arrived.  

Alex was still a little deep in though thinking about home,he did feel eyes on him though,he looked behind him to see Karn and Okami talking about culture and the realm. He wasn't really to interested in other peoples life's if he was going to be honest. They where moving for a while now and Alex though about what he was going to do when they did find the princess,Karn probably did want her impaled by ice lances and swords,he though a bit about his magic so the air around him became to get cold again,within 10 feet of him,it didn't bother his horse as she was use to it. It could be a problem if the princess,or anyone else,got frost bite as well. He was staring to think about he wasn't sent here to help fight,but to maybe learn something else,he didn't know.

This had gone from bad to worst in Evilin's eyes. She couldn't believe what was now happening. She looked from Dominic to Benton as the fight just escalated even more. But her eyes had to follow the fire ball that now exploded over their heads. That was more than just a signal, that was a dead sentence. Her eyes shot wide open and her jaw dropped as the sky light up. She looked back to the on going battle, there wasn't much she could do with her light magic as that would only draw more attention to them.... Even if it really didn't matter at this point. 

Coda on the other hand was focused on Benton and Dominic. Dominic's words about black magic being evil gave Coda a bad feeling. In his eyes black magic was not evil, it was a balance along with the other forms of magic. But then again he did know a lot more about it than the people on this side of the world. He let his eyes trail back to Benton and gritted his teeth when seeing Benton's form of magic. He was using it wrongly and out of impulse than using it like it should. 

But the fire ball that was released into the sky made him rethink the situation at hand. Even in his tiered state he could use his magic and prevent the light from being seen or he could just leave it be and wait for his friends.This was indeed a tough decision. 

Meanwhile....

The light had caught their attention and the group was off in a hot pursuit. Nora, Seng, Okami and Karn were at the head of the pack. The fireworks were as clear as day. The group was still a few minutes away from the location of the fire in the sky, but they were indeed closing in fast. They would not waist such an opportunity in achieving their goals.

(sorry so short for the hunting company, I will add more for them in my next post.)

Elise grit her teeth, her frustration growing by the moment at the groups antics, she stepped out from behind her companion, marched up towards the princess and took the girl by the wrist "Princess we need to go" she said, not giving her a chance to respond before she started moving in the direction they had been going.  Looking back for a moment she called to the group "I'm helping the princess, anyone else who wants to, keep up."  She then narrowed her eyes at the boy who had ruined everything for them, taking a bomb into her hand "except you" she said, making an effort to keep her calm "when those men get here, tell them they will face retaliation if they keep following" she said, and with that the elf turned and started to walk at a brisk pace, hoping the princess and her companion would follow.  

With the boy at least injured and rooted Benton turned and followed following behind Elise and the princess. Benton coughed violently as the backlash on that impulsive magic use hit him.  He looked into his hand and found his own black blood. "Well it wasn't the worst backlash I've had today." He muttered as he whipped the blood onto a handkerchief he produced from his pocket. Benton followed in silence, pulling his hood over his disfigured face so as not to disturb the two women with his visage. He didn't really care if any of the other stayed or followed. It was Benton's duty to keep her safe, and he was more than willing to pay any price to guarantee her life.

Breaking the silence Benton said, " I'm sorry about my impulsive actions with the boy. At the very least I wanted to make sure he would follow us so easy and my knowledge of other magics is well none existent at this point." Benton explained though he wasn't sure if either of them even cared at this point.

As much as he would have liked the idea to tear apart the walking corpse of a mage, the flaming signal that Dominic sent into the air was not a comforting one. He was not on the side of the princess or her ilk but Elise was already dragging the princess along to find some sort of refuge. The Lycan picked up his greatsword and practically teleported to Dominic's side. He was already prepared for the backlash as one powerful swipe from his claws broke the tendrils that bound him to his position. 

Argen cast one look at Dominic before leaving. It wasn't a look of scorn or betrayal. Just a neutral moment where their eyes met and after that, he walked off. Picking up Coda again and putting him on his back, Argen broke off until he was behind Elise, "I hope you made the right choice Elise. Because if you are wrong about this, I can only protect you from yourself for so long." He said to his contractor through the mental link. The Lycan winced slightly at the curse in his right hand now beginning to wind its way up his arm. He had ripped the black magic quickly so the damage was minimal but curses never worked instantly. They always took their time. Wore you down slowly. Argen had been cursed twice by the same Mage now. More than likely when Elise wasn't watching....he would exact his revenge.

Dominic’s betrayed glare fell on the elf as she threatened him, took the princess, and ran.  She must be a young elf, devoid of wisdom, because she was certainly a fool.  He would have retaliated if he dared move his leg. There was a laceration and puncture wound with the shadows still deep in the flesh, he wasn’t sure how he planned on escaping.  But he wouldn’t have much more time to think on it as the Lycan took his greatsword and turned on Dominic.  He didn’t even have time to brace himself as he expected the impact of teeth and claws. 

Nothing hit. 

As the others ran off the Lycan freed him, and with one final look turned to follow.  Dominic was frozen by their eye’s meeting, the beast’s eyes were full of fight, far more than any opponent he had ever faced, and that scared him.  He crumpled to the ground free from the shadows and shaken from the sudden throbbing in his foot as the blood soaked his boot.  He cried out in frustration and pain, hoping that damn group of soldiers would find pity on him. 

In the meantime, one arm’s fire went out as the other began cauterizing the mangled mess that was his calf.  He grunted a few more times in that process, it was quick but it hurt like hell to burn yourself and he was getting unbelievably tired using all this red magic. There was no fixing his foot for the moment so he bound it as tight as he could with some bandages from his pouch. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back