• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

CSS and HTML coding; help?

Sophrosyne

Anxious child
Before the site updated, I was just beginning to get the hang of coding and how to incorporate it into my posts. Now that the old format is no longer compatible with the sight, I'm finding it extremely difficult to learn how to even do the basic's anymore, so I'm reaching out for a bit of assistance. I've been through many websites this past week, trying to teach myself, but I'm finding that nothing I try works. Could anyone be kind enough to teach me how to code?

There are some nice guides here in the Tutorials section. ^33^   I think they recommend online "classes" too (or websites that teach HTML, rather).

So, I am actually a computer science major. Depending on what you want to do, there are a few different ways you can start.

For now, it sounds like you are interested in some sort of web design. JavaScript is the actual "programming" that makes a web page do something, while CSS and HTML are what make it look a certain way and allow users to tell the JavaScript to do things. Java and Javascript are not the same thing. CSS and HTML are often not considered programming languages because they do not involve actually computing anything. It just takes some code and does things. JavaScript takes some code, and does things based on what the user does.

Before you start learning JavaScript, which is a moderately difficult language, I recommend you check out these tutorials, by Khan Academy. In my opinion, they present things in a logical and comprehensible way that sites like codeAcademy do not. Just start with the first lesson and work your way down. Depending on your free time, you can learn a lot of CSS and HTML in a few weeks from these guys. Not only are the tutorials easy to understand, but there are tons of features you can learn by using the basics that you learn there.

I only ever went through all the lessons for CSS and HTML and then learned JavaScript on my own, so I can't speak for their JavaScript lessons. JavaScript is best learned through a physical class or a textbook, in my opinion. Do not try to learn it online. You will be very confused. I am speaking from experience there. If you are interested in learning JavaScript, pm me and I can give you some pointers on what books to read.

Note: These are just my opinions. Please do not kill me if you are a CS professor, thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick note: HTML is the coding to be used here in RpNation's posts.  CSS and Java, to the best of my knowledge, won't work.

*disclaimer* I know nothing about coding, that's just what I understand from what others have asked and answered.

(i hid my previous post and don't want to trouble anyone to bring it back so I'll type it up again)

CSS and HTML go hand in hand. It's as if the HTML is the subject of a sentence and the CSS is saying what the subject does. Using just CSS won't yield you any results, but sometimes you can use HTML on its own, for example the tags <p>, <b>, and <span>. <p> stands for paragraph, and will let you type out a paragraph. <b> is bolding. <span> is like <p> except it doesn't make a new line, or a new paragraph. But if you wanted to use <div>, which basically makes pretty boxes, you'd probably also wanna use CSS to set colors and border widths and styles and all that other good stuff. 

So yes, CSS does work on the site, provided you know how to use HTML. I don't know Java, so I can't vouch for that.

Disclaimer: I'm entirely self-taught in HTML and CSS, so please don't kill me if I'm off or wrong about things...

@Kaerri

You're welcome! :U But I highly recommend also asking someone else about CSS, preferably one who's actually taken a class on the subject oops haha  ^33^

Quick note: HTML is the coding to be used here in RpNation's posts.  CSS and Java, to the best of my knowledge, won't work.
So yes, CSS does work on the site, provided you know how to use HTML. I don't know Java, so I can't vouch for that.
Java doesn't work. I also saw previous questions discussing it.

The computer science major was just talking about how JavaScript and Java weren't the same thing.

JavaScript is the actual "programming" that makes a web page do something, while CSS and HTML are what make it look a certain way and allow users to tell the JavaScript to do things. Java and Javascript are not the same thing.

Listen Read, people!

Yes but....

I can tell you, as Admin, what we allow users to do is HTML.  That's what the software specifically allows us to allow you to do.  As an Admin who is clueless about all these programming things (I do the "people" things, not the software things), I can't answer anything else.  I just know that when you reach 500 posts, you get a new button called Source (it's at the beginning, next to Bold) that allows you to use HTML in your posts.

Now, what dark magicks are used behind the scenes to make the site function, that's a whole 'nother matter, but in any case that's for @The Dark Wizard to use.

So, I am actually a computer science major. Depending on what you want to do, there are a few different ways you can start.

For now, it sounds like you are interested in some sort of web design. JavaScript is the actual "programming" that makes a web page do something, while CSS and HTML are what make it look a certain way and allow users to tell the JavaScript to do things. Java and Javascript are not the same thing. CSS and HTML are often not considered programming languages because they do not involve actually computing anything. It just takes some code and does things. JavaScript takes some code, and does things based on what the user does.

Before you start learning JavaScript, which is a moderately difficult language, I recommend you check out these tutorials, by Khan Academy. In my opinion, they present things in a logical and comprehensible way that sites like codeAcademy do not. Just start with the first lesson and work your way down. Depending on your free time, you can learn a lot of CSS and HTML in a few weeks from these guys. Not only are the tutorials easy to understand, but there are tons of features you can learn by using the basics that you learn there.

I only ever went through all the lessons for CSS and HTML and then learned JavaScript on my own, so I can't speak for their JavaScript lessons. JavaScript is best learned through a physical class or a textbook, in my opinion. Do not try to learn it online. You will be very confused. I am speaking from experience there. If you are interested in learning JavaScript, pm me and I can give you some pointers on what books to read.

Note: These are just my opinions. Please do not kill me if you are a CS professor, thanks :)

This is really helpful, thank you so much or taking the time to reply to me. I'll check out the site! I'm still in high school and I took Web Design my freshman year, so I know a few things, but since that was years ago, most are just a forgotten language that I remember as I go. As for not trying to learn Javascript online, would you recommend purchasing a book from like Barnes n' Nobles or Books-A-Million

15 hours ago, Kaerri said:

*disclaimer* I know nothing about coding, that's just what I understand from what others have asked and answered.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help! I've viewed a few of the tutorials.

14 hours ago, Noivian said:

(i hid my previous post and don't want to trouble anyone to bring it back so I'll type it up again)

CSS and HTML go hand in hand. It's as if the HTML is the subject of a sentence and the CSS is saying what the subject does. Using just CSS won't yield you any results, but sometimes you can use HTML on its own, for example the tags <p>, <b>, and <span>. <p> stands for paragraph, and will let you type out a paragraph. <b> is bolding. <span> is like <p> except it doesn't make a new line, or a new paragraph. But if you wanted to use <div>, which basically makes pretty boxes, you'd probably also wanna use CSS to set colors and border widths and styles and all that other good stuff. 

Disclaimer: I'm entirely self-taught in HTML and CSS, so please don't kill me if I'm off or wrong about things...

So when they're neatly placed together, they work? Interesting. Thank you! You said that you're self-taught; do you have any pointers on where to start learning?

Definitely Barnes n' Nobles. Head First JavaScript is the book I used. It's engaging, easy to read, and requires only a basic knowledge of CSS and HTML. You are learning a complex language though, so it is long. It is not really a quick project like CSS and HTML. You may be able to get that book from Amazon if you want to as well. 

I don't know what happened with this formatting, I am on mobile right now, rip.

As for not trying to learn Javascript online, would you recommend purchasing a book from like Barnes n' Nobles or Books-A-Million

Before the site updated, I was just beginning to get the hang of coding and how to incorporate it into my posts. Now that the old format is no longer compatible with the sight, I'm finding it extremely difficult to learn how to even do the basic's anymore, so I'm reaching out for a bit of assistance. I've been through many websites this past week, trying to teach myself, but I'm finding that nothing I try works. Could anyone be kind enough to teach me how to code?

"basic"

So first of all, speaking as a web design major, you're going to ignore anything involving Java as far as RP Nation is concerned.

HTML is Hypertext Markup Language. Anything with "markup" in the name means that it is used to change how text and content is presented. HTML gives you basic control of manipulating the structure of a web page. CSS, Cascading Style Sheets, is a later development that augments HTML by offering a shit-ton of control over appearance, right down to line spacing and rollover effects.

Javascript, jQuery, and Java all start with J, are not necessary for changing the visual appearance of your post, and furthermore, as a former moderator, if you are including one of those three Js in your coding, you are risking the integrity of site security. Scripts can be used to track user data and spread malware, and if we use a script without knowing what it does or how it works, we risk compromising the entire RPN server. Do we want to make Ghan come down from his mountain and fix the messes of mere mortals? No. No we do not.

So in short, go use W3 Schools to learn how to use basic HTML and inline CSS.

Ohhhh, he just wants to work on the forum formatting :o.

So yea, I don't think you will be using JavaScript on the site either, it just doesn't make sense. If you wanted to learn it, it's really important for web design, but if you just want to work with RPN, don't.

Also, in my opinion, Khan Academy is a better way to learn the basics, and W3 Schools can better fill in the gaps in your knowledge. W3 is less like a course and more like a resource, while Khan Academy is the other way around. 

P.S. Don't fight me, is just my opinion.

I personally never liked Khan Academy, because I don't like learning through videos. For me, article-type tutorials like on W3 are best. And, since HTML and CSS are basically lists of commands, they don't really require the same in-depth knowledge that programming requires.

I would look into the tutorials here on RPN, google search CSS/HTML basics and go from there to learn, and if you want some pre-made format/designs to search in the creativity for those of us who post codes for others to use.

So when they're neatly placed together, they work? Interesting. Thank you! You said that you're self-taught; do you have any pointers on where to start learning?

Woo, this is late, but whatever. I learned via dissecting posts that I liked, and comparing notes with W3Schools. Some of the things I still scratch my head over, but it usually doesn't take me long to figure it out. That's why you'll see me lurking all over other people's CSS and HTML shops. I'm pulling apart their coding to learn what they did to make things look so pretty! But yeah, if you want something more traditional, by all means go get a book. They'll help you so much more. If you have a friend or someone else who actually knows HTML and CSS, even better! Get them to teach you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back