• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Crystal Cove

Characters
Here
Other
Here
Jonathan

Jonathan smiled. “Excellent, then I supposed I don;t have to - how did you say it? - fuck off? I was invited. By the Mayor. Not my plan. I don’t go around making donations for favors generally. Honestly, this parade is something of a disruption to my schedule. No, the Mayor invited me. It would have been rude to ignore the invitation, so here I am. You see, I’m not a tourist. I am looking at sites for a house.

“As to the pictures, I understand about paparazzi. It’s part of the reason I am on a vacation - and wearing sunglasses. Just do your mermaid thing. I’m odd to the side. That shouldn’t be in anyone’s way. None of the other floats minded. Next year, maybe folks should ask ME if I wan’t to build a float. Might be fun. I could build a Flying Dutchman and go all steampunk on you guys - I think.”

Jonathan almost forgot about taking pictures as he started to muse over the buoyancy of various gasses, design parameters for flotation cells, ultralight materials. Yeah, it might have been fun at that. “You suppose I could talk my mermaid over there into playing captive mermaid?” He shook his head. “Probably not. More like she would be on the float ahead of me keeping jusssst out of reach.”

Mentions: August August

Athena

Zasha, telling her that he had no idea who Walt Disney was, took her by surprise. She was raised internationally and knew who the man was. In America the name was a household word.

“Walt Disney - producer of G rated kiddie movies like Bambi, Aladdin, half the fairy tales ever told? He pretty much sugar coated them all for kiddies so they wouldn’t have nightmares about them.” She smiled a little. Can you just imagine telling kids the story of how a couple children named Hansel and Gretel shoved an old woman into an oven - after it was preheated to 350 degrees - and held the door shut while she screamed in agony? The applicable story would be the Little Mermaid, though I admit I never saw that one. I’m not American.

“No, real mermaid lore describes mermaids as bringers of tragedy, storms, death and carnage. But this town seems more interested in the Disney version of mermaids. I prefer the more …. Gothic version. It’s more realistic. I suppose that’s the scientist in me. I’m an oceanographer. I deal in facts.

“You know, I suspect Jonathan would love to hear your thoughts on mermaids. He’s writing a book - science fiction - based on mermaids. Aliens. He wants to put an alien spin on them. But he IS doing real research on the myths. He’s especially interested in local lore. I suppose I am too. But then science says mermaids can’t exist. But then science once said an atom couldn’t be split.”

Mentions: Mentions: Iris MaddyMadz MaddyMadz , ApfelSeine ApfelSeine

Last edited:
Erik

Interactions: Claud Whirlawind23 Whirlawind23
Mentions: Moon Morrighan Morrighan

Erik paused he hadn’t thought of what to do if he needed help. He looked down into the water ”I’ll just tug on the anchor, you’ll feel it I promise.” he explained before removing his shirt and jumping into the water. He threw his pants and boxers back up into the boat, part of him hoped they landed next to Claud that’d give him a quick laugh. As he changed it appeared as if his lower half was engulfed in sea foam before dissipating to reveal his long tail. His nails and teeth had sharpened and he’d nearly doubled in length. Usually he would enjoy his time in the water it made him feel powerful and at home unlike on land where he felt out of place and awkward. He decided it would be best to investigate and and go back up rather than hang out too long.

Erik swam down following the end of the rowboats anchor. There were claw marks going up and down the chain as if something had used it to climb up towards the boat and then back down again and the scent of death lingered.

Erik found the bottom of the anchor and decided to follow the lingering smell of decay. He swam not even 10 ft from the anchor when he found the old mans skeletal remains. He swam up and began inspecting the body. There was no meat left and all that remained were bones except for one finger bone which was missing. This is clearly the work of a mermaid...I can’t leave his body here it’ll raise too much suspicion. he gritted his teeth as he tried to decide what to do he felt guilty that the wife would never know what happened to her husband. He seemed like a good man. Erik removed his wedding ring and set it on the seabed next to the anchor hopefully the other detectives would find it and assume that the old man had simply fallen overboard and drowned. I can’t leave this here, people will get suspicious about how he died and we don’t need marine biologists trying to discover new creatures out here. With a heavy heart he gathered up the bones and swam as fast as he could to the abyss he said a farewell and cast the bones into the deep trench where his remains wouldn’t be discovered.

Erik swam back to the boat and pulled himself up still in his mermaid form. He had only been gone about 15 to 20 minutes and the coast was still clear. He could’ve willed his body back into human form but he preferred to dry off a bit first. ”I didn’t find anything. The old man must have drowned.” he lied. As much as it pained him to lie to his friend he knew that the truth would worry him more and the last thing Claud needed was more things to worry about. On top of that regardless of his feelings towards Claud his main goal was to protect his clan, even if that meant his best friends safety had to come second. He pulled his shirt back on which was long enough to cover his waist and hips before his tail melted into sea foam revealing his legs underneath. Discreetly as possibly he pulled his pants and on and then grabbed a cigarette to smoke on the way back. A deadly human vice but it was a good way to relieve his stress. He grinned at Claud ”Did you enjoy the view!” he mocked before turning the Boston engine back one ”Lets head back the parades probably started by now.” it was odd while he was down under the waves he’d smelled the scent of another mermaid but he hadn’t seen them. He dipped his hand in the water and kept it there hoping this small gesture would lead them to the shore or to the boat, whichever was fastest. Safe travels I hope you find your way to us if you are friendly if not I hope my scent leads you away.

Moonscale

The male’s scent lead her towards the human vessel, which had already begun to return once more to shore. She could sense two creatures aboard it, one human and the other that of her own kind. With a heavy heart, the Serpent followed, clinging to the dying child in her arms.

Whether or not the male Shark would follow through with his Tides-given path Moon did not know, but she knew only that he would help to heal the girl. He was strong, young, and yet his spirit cried out in the way of one who had seen suffering. A male with such strong a heart was rare, especially when she knew that he and his female counterpart were the Alphas of the clan she’d soon meet. Their group was well known ; untrustworthy many believed.

Such was always thought of those who allowed themselves to grow too close to humans.

Such was thought of me...once...

The memory of her former life among the humans of the long-dead time she’d once loved flooded her soul and hung heavy in her heart. Her mother had been remiss and fearful, and yet had let her go all the same to follow the path she’d chosen. It had been only a few years, but when she’d at last returned to the sea her spirit had grown strong alongside her belief in a future of peace between her people and the humans.

Of course, those humans - her friends - were all long dead, their descendants hardly an echo of the people she’d come to love and trust. The modern world was one she did not know. Could she trust it? Could she trust the humans?

She did not know.

But the girl was dying, and her fate had already been decided. Moonscale would save her, and in doing so alter the course of her own life. The Tides had decreed it, and the Gods of her people had lead her to bring her destiny into being. It was not for her to argue.

When the vessel reached the shore, Moonscale surfaced - still keeping her distance to watch the two males while she struggled to think of a solution. She could not reveal herself to the human, but she needed to get the Moray help. She could not shift in so weak a state, and would certainly terrify the human should he see her.

Perhaps if I...it would only be this once...

Her song.

It was an old art, one most of her kind had abandoned in favor of more modern hunting techniques that favored the use of spears fashioned after human weapons. Her mother, however, had thought it a vital thing for every Mer to learn. She’d taught Moonscale the Song, and had made her promise to only use it when absolutely necessary.

And so Moonscale summoned her spirit, opened her mouth, and sang.

It was not a song in the way that humans knew music, but rather a melody that took hold of the soul. The Song became what it’s Mer willed it to be : a lullaby, a source of healing, a way to lure in prey, or even a call to other Mer. If she desired it, the human would hear it as well, but she Sang only for the Mer male.

She called to him, a summons and a plea.

A prayer to her Gods that he would heed the call.​

Iris Belle

Iris sat on the bench with Zasha, and was about to start a conversation, but then another human approached them. The woman immediately started talking about the festival, someone named Jonathan, and Disney. She's confused now. Then Zasha says he doesn't know Walt Disney because he doesn't live in the town. God, are all humans this confusing? When the boy said he knew about mermaid stuff, she couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at him. Iris listened to both of their takes on mermaids before speaking up herself.

"I have to agree with--" Iris looked at the woman who was standing with them, realizing she didn't know her name. "I didn't catch your name, but I agree with her. I haven't heard any lore of mermaids being bad or violent like that. All the myths here say it was the humans who did that to the mermaids, not the other way around."

She glanced to the float where Ares was. She saw him around there when she first walked down here, but he seemed to be busy with other things. That's both good and not good. Good that he won't get mad and come over and punch someone, but bad because now she's on her own with two people who are obviously suspicious of mermaids. But she's curious what she can pull out of them. Iris set her purse down next to her on the bench and crossed one leg over the other as she leaned back against the bench.

"If you don't think mermaids are myths, if you truly believe they are real, do you have any proof to back it up? This town thrives off of mermaid lore, if they had found any real evidence wouldn't they have come out with it already?" Iris asked Zasha.

Interactions: ApfelSeine ApfelSeine Mitheral Mitheral Mentions: August August

Flynn

"Actually, my cousin Sandy has a spot she used to take me with a pretty good view," Flynn said with a smile, looking over to Marisol. "That is, if you don't mind heights. It's a good place to get away from the crowds, but you're right that if we get a spot on the street early enough, there should be no issue getting a spot up front. I'm fine either way of course, though I'm hoping to get some good pictures."

He held up his foster sister's camera to make his point, starting to look a bit sheepish about it. Flynn was not very experienced with photography, so he knew he would likely have to take quite a few photos from a decent location to get any good ones.

"I don't actually know much about photography," he admitted. "Being closer to the parade would probably better, right?"

As he held the camera, Flynn looked over at Kai, a thought suddenly occurring to him.

"Oh! That does remind me," Flynn continued. "Could I take a picture of you two? I know Sandy would be thrilled. She adores pirates. Marisol's costume is beautiful, and I know she'd be happy to get a picture of a familiar face as well."

He beamed as he regarded them both, hoping that they would agree.

(Mentions: Marisol SpectrumCrow SpectrumCrow , Kai Shame Shame )

Zasha

Zasha scoffed, waving a hand dismissively at Athena's description of Jonathan's interests.

"Mermaids have nothing to do with aliens, and they're definitely not fiction," he replied, finding the premise of writing a book about merfolk to be utterly ridiculous. It made no more sense to make up a story on paper than to make it up in the form of urban legends. Zasha knew the truth, and how far people in this town tended to be from it.

"It's easy to think that humans are the bad guys if you listen to what folks have to say around here. And maybe they are," Zasha said as his attention turned to Iris. "I know many would say I'm bad at the very least. Still, I know that merfolk are real. And I have plenty of proof. But I really don't need to justify it to the townspeople, or anyone else."

He shrugged, folding his arms as he regarded both of the ladies with a degree of scorn.

"As long as I know the truth, and can do my work, I don't really care what the townspeople believe. Just so far as they're not getting in the way. It's probably easier on me that they think merfolk are long gone, since that means most folks write me off as just another crazy. If more people knew the truth, they'd be even more worked up than they already are. I've seen it in other places. When a lot of people know there are merfolk nearby, they start becoming obsessed. It's inevitable that they hunt them down into extinction or drive them away, leaving only local urban legends behind that it all gets written off as mass hysteria or a tourism thing."

(Mentions: Athena Mitheral Mitheral , Iris MaddyMadz MaddyMadz )

Mia

Mia smiled and said, “I do meet new people when others go, I just expected I would been exploring the world and meeting new people. Instead of new people coming here to explore my world, which consists of this little town.” She gave ice cream to some other customers. Then turned back to Ellis, “How long does it take to paint this beach? I’m just curious.”

“You don’t have to paint me, I’m sure you’re very busy with your other paintings.” She really didn’t want to inconvenience him. “Maybe I’ll just sneak onto the beach when you’re painting it and you’ll get a painting of me and the beach in the same painting.” Mai said with a playful smiled, “I’m just kidding, but on a serious note, what do you do if people get in scenery that you are painting?”

DillyWanderer DillyWanderer

(Sorry for not responding for a while, I forgot about it)

kQSs6esd6F0RexjIPkO-pYqBez7k-z29G5AZtBXaKv6b5RFhtclOcN9qYbZHZ8addTgY0YPhp8faqIxrekISKaddx0iiZ61ttXNcfBLNc2OuKWm5ZghIFNs2D51v8IJaXks6oFt5

Athena

“Athena Natsios. ALL of the original lore that I can recall describes mermaids as anything but good. They were always either bringers of tragedy. If sailors survived them it was nothing short of a heroic feat. The Sirens luring sailors to their doom on the rocks is one of the most famous examples. It wasn’t until the 1600’s that Western Europe began to romanticize them with stories of conversion to Catholicism. But then the Japanese also started converting. And Pearl Harbor showed us just how much that means. Then, in the 19th century Hans Christian Anderson painted the mermaids with a human heart. That story was eventually romanticized by Disney

“Mermaids are cold blooded killers. They kill without provocation. Humans, to them, are probably just meat. To think of them as human is naive.”

“Do I think mermaids are real though? That IS the existential question.” She gave a cold, thin smile. “I am sorry sir. I didn’t catch your name. But if you truly have proof, I would be quite interested. I am certain Mr Rhand would as well. Don’t let his work of fiction fool you. He is a scientist at heart. Fiction is for entertainment. I am an oceanographer, as I said. I will take any evidence you have seriously. I will evaluate it.”

Then Athena turned her attention on Iris. “And no, I do NOT think the town would expose mermaids. Why would they? They make more money off fake mermaids and tourism. The truth would destroy their economy. And if you want to take a conspiratorial view, anyone who would possibly expose them has likely been slaughtered.” She turned back to Zasha. “That means you should watch your back. If you know of ways to do THAT, I would also be interested - lest some mermaids seek to destroy the curious.

“And if I find you evidence foolproof - and I mean able to stand up to scrutiny by nonbelievers - I suspect Mr Rhand will pay very, very well for it.”

Mentions: MaddyMadz MaddyMadz ApfelSeine ApfelSeine

Iris Belle

"Leaving only local urban legends behind that gets written off as mass hysteria or a tourism thing?" She repeated after Zasha. "Isn't that kind of what's happened now. If mermaids were real, that has probably already happened leaving none left. I have to admit, I've only been here for a little less than a year, the stories the town folks say are the only things I have to go off of. Surely lore is different for different regions." Iris pushed some of her red curls of hair off her shoulder letting it fall behind her.

She turned her attention to Athena Natsois, she'll have to make a mental note of that name. Listening to her explanation made sense for any other mermaids that aren't from this region. Iris only had her old and current clan to go off of, but for both they wouldn't do something like that. There's always going to bad versions of everything that people love to focus on. When Athena said that mermaids are cold blooded killers, Iris' eyebrows knitted together. She crossed her arms over the chest, her right hand hugging over a scar on left side. She had a few small scars on the visible skin of her body, but that one was bigger than the rest.

At this point, Iris just sat and listened. Anything she said would be invalidated or corrected by one or the other of the people with her. She's going to hold her tongue at least for a few moments, as to not say anything she doesn't mean to in the heat of the moment.

(Mentions: Mitheral Mitheral ApfelSeine ApfelSeine )

Jonathan

Jonathan turned back to check on Athena. He didn’t really like the look of Zasha. And Iris was on his Mermaid list. For some reason that was a little unsettling. Athena’s talk about what happened to her parents still echoed in his head. And she had that look in her eyes that worried him. The fact that she smiled and waved when he turned around didn’t help. The word ‘barracuda’ came to mind.

He turned his camera on her (as well as those with her) with a smile. As expected she posed. His camera went off like it had an auto fire setting- which it did. After several seconds of snapping pictures he lowered the camera and headed her way.

MaddyMadz MaddyMadz ApfelSeine ApfelSeine August August

Last edited:
Yuri

After bidding a quick goodbye to his clanmates on his way out the door, Yuri jogged down the road, headed towards the boardwalk where several vendors were beginning to set up their temporary shops. It did not take him long to get there, but he did not have time to stop and eat his breakfast before the vendors put him to work. It was clear that they needed all hands on deck to get things set up in time. Yuri sighed, though he was not unused to working on an empty stomach. He stashed his breakfast in the pile of personal effects to eat later once the initial set up was completed. For now, it was time to get to work.

Most of the volunteer work involved heavy lifting and carrying things around. The food vendors in particular needed help with heavy propane tanks and moving tables and outdoor grills. Yuri quickly found himself with his hands full, quite literally as he struggled to lift a stack of boxes out of the truck. He managed to keep a hold on them as he made his way down from the truck, but his vision was blocked by the height of the stack and the bulkiness of the boxes made it difficult to set them down. Yuri's arms strained a bit as he tried shifting his grip a bit, only making his hold feel more awkward.

"Hey!" he called out, grunting a bit as he continued to hold up the stack. "A little help over here?"

Zasha

"You sure do talk a lot," Zasha commented, once more waving a hand with a somewhat derisive smile. "I don't really care if you're interested in evidence or not. I dunno who this 'Rhand' guy is either. Never heard of him, or his books before you started going on and on about it."

He shoved his hand into his pocket, pulling out his switchblade. It was a sturdy knife for the size it was, though casual observation would not reveal anything particularly unique about it. He twirled it around in his fingers.

"I can take care of my own safety, and I don't need any money," Zasha continued. "I've already made plenty in my line of work, so now I just take on jobs for the sake of my own personal satisfaction. If you go around poking your nose into dangerous things, well then that's really not any of my business if you or that guy you keep talking about get yourselves killed. You can feel free to come to me if there's a mermaid you want hunted down though. Maybe that'll be worth my while. But I don't exist to sate your own curiosity."

Zasha turned his gaze to Iris, looking oddly relaxed given what he had just said.

"I've traveled a fair bit before coming here. I know there are merfolk here, but they're the crafty sort. They don't act out in the open," Zasha said. "Just you wait and see. A suspicious death here. A bit of sabotage there. You'll see the signs when you know what to look for."

(Mentions: Athena Mitheral Mitheral , Iris MaddyMadz MaddyMadz )

Nadine Yoselyn-Delfia Reyes

It’s natural to feel out of place, is the repetition she feels flow through her veins and skin. The beginning emergence of townsfolk began to appear in their costumes, excitedly mumbling between one another as they anticipate the parade and celebration. Nadine can’t help but smile herself. Although alone, with a community this tight-knit, their energy just overwhelms you. "Like water until you’re finally settled and it all becomes like air.” At least that’s what she had always been told by Allora and her pod. A statement that Nadine now finds herself understanding a bit more. Her parents were right, this was definitely something that she needed.

She continued to walk, watching vendors of all sorts set up their stations, curious to see what was being sold, but also beginning to mark in her head potential people to sell her works to for their own shops. Business opportunities were something she'd have to start thinking about again, as well as finishing her workshop set up in the spaces of her new home. Yet, that was all pushed to the side as she caught wind of someone calling out for help. She spotted the man with the long black hair, seeming familiar but only barely so. Seeing as no one else was readily available to help, Nadine rushed over, grabbing the other side of the stack to balance out the weight, steadying the weight and keeping it from all tumbling down.

Don’t worry, I’ve gotcha!” She tries to lean over to look at the man, “Where does this need to go? I’ll help you take it there, seems like a bit much to move all alone.

Ares Siam
Interactions/Mentions: Zasha ( ApfelSeine ApfelSeine ), Iris ( MaddyMadz MaddyMadz ), Jonathon ( Mitheral Mitheral )

areesty.png
Ares was promptly shoved into a mermaid tail and placed on a clam throne where one of the girls draped jewels and riches on him as if that was a thing mermaids had collections of. He continued to eye Jonathon with his annoyance apparent, despite one of the makeup girls snapping her hand in his face to try to show him how to smile and wave while passing people by on the float. The typical princess stick, which seemed like too much of an effort for such a small town. Seeing Jonathon turn his attention to the bench, Ares followed suit with his eyes landing right on the blade the man was twirling in his hands while giving Iris a look.

The other girl he didn't care anything about but seeing a suspicious man with a weapon so close to Iris sprung him into action.
"Hey!" Ares yelled as he pushed past the make up girl, some of the jewels falling off him as he hobbled over to the end of the float. Tyler moved over with his arms out waving for him to stop before he fell but Ares just took that as a landing pad as he flopped down on the float on Tyler.
As he got up from the groaning boy on the ground, Ares did try to wiggle out the tail but it was tightly on him . . . Of course, they'd make it hard to get in and out of for him. Ares's cheek puffed red in frustration and shook it off as he continued his awkward mermaid tail hop over to them, grabbing Jonathon's arm to steady himself as he pushed off ahead of him.
"What are you doing brandishing a knife like that so opening? It's bad enough you're scaring the girls here, don't go flashing a knife out. You wanna cause problems here? Come over here and fight me then!" Ares waved his fist with his eyes trained on the man, his rage boiling over as some of the guys from the float simply walked over to him and picked him up. "Hey put me down! Let me at him-- fuck security, I'm right here and take him!" He continued to yell as the two guys simply shook there head both restraining Ares and carrying him back to the float.

"Alright princess, don't get your tail all ruined before the parade now." One of them grumbled as helped hoister Ares back onto the float. The other guy glanced down to check on Tyler before lowing his head Jonathon and the others, "My apologies, she's just in one of her moods. Probably pms'ing if you catch my drift"
"I'll kill you!" He bared his teeth at his classmate when one of the female classmates had sheepishly asked for a photo of him. Ares's entire atmosphere changed in a second, the raging small relaxed and turned to the girl's phone with a delicate smile as he held a pose very unbefitting of his language. As soon as the camera snapped and the girl turned to leave Ares returned to his usual self, waving a fist in the man's direction threateningly.

• 5825ea217f298d9014e73b0843851574.jpgMaira stopped her coughing fit and gave Yuri and thumbs up “sorry...I will try” she happily spoke up whipping her mouth with a napkin. “I cant wait to see your outfit!” she added yelling out to him as he left the kitchen to change. Maira gasped seeing the time and quickly finished her cereal. Once done she took it back to the sink to was her dish and put everything away. Sitting back down at the table she pulled out her phone scrolling through before opening and app and started to take silly selfies, giggling after taking each one of them.

Maira happily complementing Yuri on his outfit when he came back down. Waving goodbye to him as he went off to show the others. The blue-haired girl went back to taking pictures as she waited for Koi.

( Interaction/Mentions: Yuri @ApfelSeine, Koi @DillyWanderer )

Last edited:
Jonathan and Athena

(and the rest of that post)

Jonathan approached the bench where Athena had patiently been waiting for him. He nodded politely. “Athena. Iris. Annnd ,,,, the man with no name. Sorry, I've only been here a month.” He looked at Iris. “Iris, Gift shop, right?” He knew he was right. “Small towns. And I only know five places in town well. Boardwalk is one of those. The rest are library, grocery store, docks, and schools. I pretty much know every student and reacher. Been putting together some scholarships and grants. I’m thinking about building a National Mermaid museum.”

He snorted a laugh as though the idea wasn’t serious. “Ran into some resistance to that idea. Seems there are actually some laws on the books about mermaids. Something about the lore about how Crystal Cove was founded. Silly argument. Folks don’t know how to debate. They don’t even stop to think or apply logic. Short sighted. Funny thing is, I was proposing a real museum, not just some pandering to local lore. I was going to go international with the idea - like with a connection to the Smithsonian.”

He changed his gloves out briefly revealing the bad scar in his left hand. It looked as though his hand had been cut in half between the 3rd and 4th fingers to within an inch of his wrist. Then began fiddling with his camera downloading the images into a private database. His new gloves were his virtual keyboard.

He pulled up the image of Vivian and zoomed in - way, way in - and studied her hair roots. Not a single root discolored. Green hair. That or a perfect job of dyeing. The rational choice was a perfect dye job. And for now it would stay that way. Then he pulled up Ares. Pink hair. Well, it looked pink to him - sort of. Whatever, it wasn't an ordinary color. Again, a perfect dye job.

The last thing he did was pull up Athena’s image and zoom in. He had taken the extra images for a reason. He zoomed in on HER hair. He thought he had seen something. Then he saw it. Her hair had been matted against her head. But as she spoke to the two others on the bench it had slowly been to loosen up and almost become aggressive. The word Phoenix came to mind. She looked agitated.

He took his place at her side and the hair seemed to relax, even almost reaching for him. It was slow, but the movement was there.

Holds her breath forever. Has hair that can move on its own - really, really long hair. It dawned on him. If it can move, what else could it do?

ApfelSeine ApfelSeine MaddyMadz MaddyMadz August August

Last edited:
Iris Belle

Iris leaned back a bit when Zasha pulled out his switchblade, she's now a lot more worried than she was before. She doesn't have any weapons on her to protect herself, which she really should change in the near future. Glancing around, Iris checked if anyone else was seeing this dude just casually pull out a knife on these two women, but more importantly she was seeing if anyone from her clan was around that she could excuse herself out of. She saw Ares jumping down from the float, but her attention immediately snapped back to Zasha when he said to go to him if you wanted a mermaid hunted down.

"If you know there's mermai-" Iris started to say, before she was interrupted by Ares who started shouting at Zasha. If Iris could sink into the floor she would, she's never been one to cause a scene so that was rather embarrassing. She's just glad he didn't call her out by name. Jonathan then approached them and caught Iris off guard by knowing her name.

"You know me from the gift shop, huh? I don't think I've ever seen you in there..." She admitted. "But I don't think we caught your name." She said turning to Zasha. "Sorry for not introducing myself, a lot had happened in this conversation." She released her hand from her side that was covering her scar and extended it towards the boy for a handshake. "I'm Iris."

(Mentions: ApfelSeine ApfelSeine Mitheral Mitheral August August

Yuri

"Oof, thanks," Yuri said as he felt the weight lift a bit as it was balanced out. It was a relief, but he couldn't relax until he'd be able to set things down. "They go over near the stall with the green awning. I really appreciate this."

He slowly and carefully began to move in the direction of the stall, careful not to drop the boxes or let too much of the weight shift onto the person helping him. Luckily it was not a very far trip, and with the extra help it was a simple matter of shuffling over and setting the stack down near some of the other boxes of equipment. Once everything was safely on the ground, Yuri straightened up with a smile, looking over to see who his savior had been.

"Oh hey, I don't think we've met," Yuri remarked, brushing his long hair back away from his face. "I'm Yuri. Thanks again for the assist."

(Mentions Nadine Taelonthesands Taelonthesands )

Zasha

Zasha had nearly began to rise to his feet at the challenge that was called out to him, somewhat disappointed when the angry mermaid was dragged away. He'd remember that reaction though, since whoever it was that was yelling at him was clearly down for a rumble. Though Zasha did not really understand the reaction, since it was just a little switchblade. He'd carried around far more dangerous instruments before. Still, getting some action was far more appealing to boring old conversations. He was rather miffed that it ended before it could even really begin. He settled back in his seat as an unfamiliar man approached them, still rather baffled by why people seemed so interested in conversing with him. If it was not so early in the morning he would put it down to them being drunk tourists, though even then it was unusual for him to be approached. These folks seemed to be remarkably gregarious.

"Huh," Zasha said, having listened to Jonathan's long winded monologue about the town and his ideas for a museum. Although Zasha did not view himself to be part of the town, this man who had approached the group was the most obvious example of a pretentious outsider that Zasha had encountered. Even Zasha, wrapped up as he was in his own interests and work as he was, knew that there was no way the townsfolk would be receptive to some outsider who thought he knew what was best for a town he had only been staying in for... a month? It was so utterly ridiculous that he almost laughed. The man hardly seemed to be paying much attention though, going to fiddle with his camera as though walking up to a group of strangers was the most normal thing in the world to do. Not that Zasha was in any position to judge what was normal. He found himself wishing a fight had broken out, just to spare him the headache of it all. Fights were much more straightforward.

His attention was drawn to Iris as she introduced herself, a bit surprised. He had almost forgotten that introductions were a thing that people normally did. Or at least, he assumed that was the case. Most people met his fists before they met him as a person.

"You didn't catch my name because I didn't give it," Zasha said with a slight smirk, looking at Iris' hand for a moment before shrugging slightly. He reached out, realized he was still holding the knife, then moved to slide the knife back into his pocket before reaching out again with an empty hand this time. He shook her hand briefly, finding handshakes to be a bit of an awkward gesture. "Iris was it? I don't really spend much time around town, but I've been in the area for a decent amount of time. It's pretty unusual that anyone stops to talk to me, let alone three people."

(Mentions: Ares August August , Jonathan and Athena Mitheral Mitheral , Iris MaddyMadz MaddyMadz )

Jonathan and Athena

Jonathan finally glanced off at the float, then back at Zasha where the knife had been put away. He hadn’t been thrilled with it coming out near Athena. But the weapon hadn’t been brandished as a threat. Besides, if it HAD been a threat, Zasha would have learned the hard way about bringing a knife to a sword fight. Even though he hadn’t put a sharp edge to his blade, it could still break bones or split a skull. But he had peace bonded his blade for a reason. It was tradition in the circles he traveled.

Jonathan shrugged. Then he smiled and mumbled in a bad Aussie accent. “That’s not a knife. This is a knife!” He patted the sword at his side, but didn’t go and draw it. He snorted almost derisively, then smirked. “Wonder what that guy’s problem was. You know, short of a little Boy Scout pocket knife I once owned, that was the smallest knife I have ever seen.” He shrugged again. “Then, I’m used to people with military hardware, being screened for bombs, stuff like that. America is pretty tame.”

Athena sighed. Jonathan was like the proverbial bull in a china shop. People in small towns didn’t like outsiders coming in and talking so much. But then he knew that. He had lived in such towns. This persona he was using was just an act. Everything he did had a purpose.

“Jonathan, shall we leave these people alone?” Athena suggested.

“What? Oh sure. I have everything I need. Almost all the evidence I need. We can discuss it later, over dinner?”

ApfelSeine ApfelSeine MaddyMadz MaddyMadz August August

Vivian

Mentions: Finley SpectrumCrow SpectrumCrow Jonathan/Athena Mitheral Mitheral , Marianne AquaMarie AquaMarie

”Ok fiiiine you can buy me something really small! Like a keychain!” Vivian joked she loved seeing her friends smile and couldn’t agree with them more when they said they were excited. She blushed slightly at Finley when they said they were excited to see what she had in store for them. Then it made her wonder what exactly did she have in store for her? Vivian hadn’t made any plans yet. Just when she began trying to think of what to do Jonathan approached them and asked for pictures.

”Yeah sure we can take pictures.” she said her tone had shifted completely and it wasn’t a secret she didn’t seem enthusiastic about getting her picture taken. As he explained that he was writing a book about mermaids and was trying to learn more about the culture. Are all human writers so weird about researching unknown creatures? How strange...at least Finley seems amused.

”I’m Vivian by the way.”
she gave herself an awkward introduction after Finley introduced themself. Jonathan left a bit abruptly afterwards and Vivian watched as he exited the store.

”That guy was really weird.” She admitted to her friend even though she seemed to enjoy his company pretty ok. Maybe she just wasn’t used to rich people or authors. The parade was starting and Marianne had to close up and reopen for the festivities. ”How about we go find a good spot to watch the parade from?” she asked Finley smiling once again she was ready to see some cool floats and to get some random junk food. She gave Marianne a wave as they left she was sure they’d be back for more treats later though.

It’s no problem at all,” She chuckles lightly, focused on moving backward at the same speed as the other so she wouldn’t fall. She carefully let herself be led to the awning, even though it really wasn't hard, but she didn't want her sudden help to be for nothing, that would just embarrass her.

Once the boxes were settled, she stretched her arms out as her muscles, somewhat wishing she had done more of a workout this morning. Nadine returned the other’s smile, reaching her hand as a friendly gesture. “Name’s Nadine, and yeah of course! I know the struggle of moving so many things around without help. Heck, that was my life for the first few days moving here, it was a nightmare to do all alone.

Actually, I still have some time to kill if you need more help here. I prefer keeping my hands busy over walking around without anything specific to do,” she says placing her hands on her hips as she regathered herself. She got a better look at the other, curious about why she seemed to recognize the long-haired fellow. After a few seconds of putting two and two together, she remembered. “You know it’s also funny, I think we actually might be neighbors. I live on the left side of the fork in the road, the small bungalow a few acres away. At least I think so? I’ve only been here for a few weeks so forgive me if I’m mistaken.

(mentions Yuri ApfelSeine ApfelSeine )

Yuri

Yuri took a second, but shook Nadine's hand when it was offered to him. He was still getting used to the gesture, but it was clearly a very common introductory greeting, so he smiled in response to her friendliness.

"We're always open to more volunteers," Yuri said as he moved to adjust the stack of boxes, pausing at Nadine's remark that they might be neighbors. He never paid too much attention to anyone who did not meet the description of the person he was looking for, so it could very well be true that they were neighbors. If she lived on the left side of the fork on the road leading down the coast, that was in a similar direction to where the clan's bungalow was located. Yuri looked thoughtful for a moment as he combed through his memory to try to recall seeing Nadine before.

"I do live up that way. I'm staying in a bungalow up in that direction as well," Yuri remarked, nodding a bit. "It's a sort of commune like living arrangement, which suits me since I'm pretty new to the town myself. Plus I'm often working temp jobs around town or in construction in the area, so I wouldn't be surprised if you'd seen me around. I've only been in the area a bit longer than you, but welcome to the town. Glad to formally meet you."

(Mentions: Nadine Taelonthesands Taelonthesands )

Dahlia

The Abyss never really changed, and Dahlia was grateful for it. Darkness and sand and the sweet scent of expectation swirled through the ever-shifting currents like blood through a titan’s veins. It was where she thrived, where she’d made her home in the world.

And yet it was never enough.

Her long body settled deeper into the sediment that surrounded her, hiding the truth of her from the waist down. She let herself burrow down and down and down, until she was barely visible to any passing morsels. The sand and muck cocooned her, leaving only her long, whisker-like mandibles exposed.

Time meant nothing during the hunt. It came and went at will, and was marked only with the shifting scents and sounds above. For a long while, there was nothing but the empty Abyss, but she was a patient huntress.

She sensed the frill shark long before she felt him brush against her mandibles, but by then it was too late for the beast.

She struck with the force of a rogue current, jaw unhinging in a blur as her long body erupted from the earth. The sand that had sheltered her exploded around them, causing the creature to panic as he fought futility to escape her. His battle against her was exactly what she’d been craving, and she found herself laughing as she dug her claw-like fingers into his gills and pulled him down into her burrow to devour.

She took her time.​

It’s nice to meet you too, and I figured it was some sort of commune. I haven't really gone out much but I've seen plenty of you to assume it's more than just one family or small group of people. Perhaps I’ll get to meet more of you all later. I could make something and bring it over or whatnot. That’s what we use to do in my family’s neighborhood,” She smiles once more. She was already thinking of what she could possibly make. She was thinking something sweet, or something that she could make a lot of servings of so no one would be left out. “Perhaps one of Mom’s old recipes,” she ponders.

Shaking her head she looks back to the stack of boxes and back where they were being unloaded in the first place. Friendly neighbor acts second, focusing on the offer to help now first. Nadine could tell with how the other people around them were working that this was a very important event and it most likely would be kicking off soon. She wasn’t about to be the one that stalls everyone from reaching the goal of setting up in time. Plus, this would be the perfect chance to get to know at least one of her neighbors a little better and hopefully be a chance at seeing if this was someone that she could enjoy spending time with outside of random chance. Plus this was honestly the best distraction she could think of yet for her thoughts.

Right, so what’s next? Unboxing, moving more things around? I’m ready,” she exclaimed, taking a hair tie she had left in her backpack and pulling her mohawk into a messy bun. “I’m sure between the two of us we’ll be done in a cinch.

(mentions Yuri ApfelSeine ApfelSeine )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back