Crossing Lines

MedievalMethods

Saturday Night Dragon-Slayer
Hello! Thanks for stopping by this future project of mine. Currently I'm ironing out the concept itself, along with how I'm going to get it all accomplished, and what exactly players should expect from it. If it seems a bit confusing, apologies, I'm still trying to work out the idea myself. Any and all critiques, commentaries, suggestions and cookies of appreciation are welcome. 

Plot Concept

hqdefault.jpg

Crossing Lines

This sci-fi adventure, fantasy thriller takes you for the time of your life... literally. Join as group of strangers who find themselves aboard a driverless train, on an unknown journey across time and space, occasionally making "station stops" on alternate Earths that range from subtly different to the wildly fantastic. Throughout it all, they must band together if they hope to escape, and meanwhile, survive the ride.

IC Intro

"All Aboard me hoppers.."

"Wakey, wakey lovelys! It's another fabulous day here on the LIE. I trust the boardin' for ya wasn't too unpleasant that last stop... Might have got some bumps along the ol' grey matter catcher I reckon. Right fuck'd in the head... What you say? You don't recall me? I am, my bedazzed mortal, what I am. One could call me a maestro. You see, I call the tune, if you will, aboard this majestic vessel. But you and me, we're friends now aren't we, so you can call me... Clue."

A person of extraordinary, and mysterious origins. The Conductor, or Clue as he likes to be called, seems to be the only person aboard who knows what is happening, and why things occur aboard the LIE.  

OOC Backstory

"Next Stop... Everywhere!"

Events leading up to the roleplays story are here. A small, but diverse, group of people awaken. They have no memory of who they are, where they are, or what they were doing before awakening. What they discover is that they occupy a passenger section titled Car E.996., and that it's part of something called the Line Infinity Express, or LIE for short. The LIE, unbeknownst to the characters, is a machine that is on a constant voyage through time and space, dipping in and out of realities at apparently random points of spacetime, called "stations". Around them, the train seems to contain a limitless amount of "cars". Passenger, freight, dining, entertainment, and many more types. Many are empty and bare. Many more are full, each playing host to objects, people, things and environments that have boarded at a "stations" sometime in the past. To the front, one can see the dim, orange light of what must be the engine. Perhaps answers to all of this lie there? Who could know? 

Crossing Lines Basic Rules For Time Travel

•  

FAQ for Crossing Lines

If the train time travels does that mean some of us are from different time periods?

• Yes and no. For the moment, I believe the starting party of PC's should be from the same time period to make the beginning of the RP easily manageable. Reason being, I've never done a time-travel AND parallel world roleplay-in-one. If players would then like to introduce new PC's from different times, worlds, and dimensions into the original party as we progress through the story, I'd find that reasonable. 

How far back and forward will we be going time?

• Technically, there is no limit as to how far back or forward the party will find itself while aboard the LIE. Recall though, that the LIE runs like a train. It doesn't just travel backwards and forwards, but it can cross onto different tracks; separate time lines, if you will. The player group starts off with the handicap of not being in control of the trains ability to time travel. They are simply passengers, along for the ride. 

How many parallel worlds can we visit?

• See question one for answer.

Who is playing the "Conductor"?

• The Conductor is an antagonistic NPC entity. It will be played by the GM, and his designated CO-GMs. 

Will there be NPCs? If so, who will control them?

• Yes, there will be NPCs. I, and my CO-GMs, will play them.  

Will some of us have "powers"?

• "Powers" are tricky business in the RP. While you start off with none, being an average person on our scrub Earth,  you may find opportunity to earn them while exploring different times, worlds, and dimensions. The laws of science that rule in one train car, may not be the same in the one next to you. Sufficient to say, magic and advanced technology will be themes visited throughout the roleplay.

What is the endgame of this RP?

• The end game of this RP is an mission-style dungeon. Investigate the LIE, advanced through the different train sections, towards the Train Engine Car, where you hope to find someone or something to get you back to your home in time and space. There is a sandbox adventure aspect present throughout, to give players a break from the plot grind, which include visits to "station" locations, as well as surprise events, NPC confrontations and mini-quests, orchestrated by your GM and Co-GMs. These also serve to help you get farther in your travels to the Engine Car, buy providing opportunities to get helpful items and loot. 

Why is time travel not present, known or revealed in history?

• The LIE is on a different plane of existence, a place between spaces, merely dipping into the time-space continuum at seemingly random places. When it appears, at locations known as "stations", it only does so for a small, limited amount of time, before returning to its original environment. 

Can you change the present by going backwards in time and causing a difference?

• The possibility exists. But one would need to be able to actively control the time-traveling LIE. 

Is there one timeline or time-stream, or more?

• Yes. Acknowledging multi-verse theory, there are a unlimited number of alternative worlds and time-streams. 

Can someone from the present or future send messages to someone in the past?

• Again, the possibility exists. But you would need to get lucky in a=sending the message at one of the "station stops", or obtaining control of the LIE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, gives me kind of a Dr Who vibe. Although I've only ever seen a couple of episodes of Dr. Who so maybe I'm totally off base.

Would players be exploring theae alternate realities and times or would the focus be more on the train itself?

@Grey Thanks much :)

@AtlannianSpy A little of both. Players are encouraged, and will have to explore, as their survival depends on maintaining their daily needs, fending off the more violent "passengers", as well as eventually escaping the train. During "stations stops", the train becomes inactive for a certain period of time, allowing those aboard to come and go as they please. However, those who dwaddle in returning might just find themselves marooned at a time and place god only knows. 

My body is READY!! Time to get this rp train in full action! WOOT WOOT! But in all seriousness, this is a really cool concept idea. 

Woah, dude... This is one hell of an acid trip that you're gonna put us in.

I don't really have anything to suggest for this RP. I just want to see what's in there and let the story take its course from there.

@plotsaresexy I smell the stench of Glados upon you  :P

Also, sorry for the long absence  :ph34r:  I've been stolen away by work and college.

Good news though, I do plan on making this. When exactly, I do not know. I've updated the posts above, as you can see. But I feel a lot thought of, so if those of you with interest wouldn't mind grilling me with questions, I would be most appreciative. 

Alright so if the train time travels does that mean some of us are from different time periods? How far back and forward will we be going in time? Who is playing the "conductor"? Will there be NPC's? If so who will control them? Will some of us have "powers" or something? What is the end game of this RP?

Alright so if the train time travels does that mean some of us are from different time periods? How far back and forward will we be going in time? Who is playing the "conductor"? Will there be NPC's? If so who will control them? Will some of us have "powers" or something? What is the end game of this RP?

For the moment, I believe the starting party of PC's should be from the same time period to make the beginning of the RP easily manageable. Reason being, I've never done a time-travel AND parallel world roleplay-in-one. If players would then like to introduce new PC's from different times, worlds, and dimensions into the original party as we progress through the story, I'd find that reasonable. 

Technically, there is no limit as to how far back or forward the party will find itself while aboard the LIE. Recall though, that the LIE runs like a train. It doesn't just travel backwards and forwards, but it can cross onto different tracks; separate time lines, if you will. The main limit the players have is that, ultimately, they do not control the trains ability to time travel. They are simply passengers, along for the ride. 

The Conductor is an antagonistic NPC entity. It will be played by the GM, and his designated CO-GMs. 

Yes, there will be NPCs. I, and my CO-GMs, will play them.  

"Powers" are tricky business in the RP. While you start off with none, being an average person on our scrub Earth,  you may find opportunity to earn them while exploring different times, worlds, and dimensions. The laws of science that rule in one train car, may not be the same in the one next to you. Sufficient to say, magic and advanced technology will be themes visited throughout the roleplay.

The end game of this RP is an mission-style dungeon. Investigate the LIE, advanced through the different train sections, towards the Train Engine Car, where you hope to find someone or something to get you back to your home in time and space. 

There is a sandbox adventure aspect present throughout, to give players a break from the plot grind, which include visits to "station" locations, as well as surprise events, NPC confrontations and mini-quests, orchestrated by your GM and Co-GMs. These also serve to help you get farther in your travels to the Engine Car, buy providing opportunities to get helpful items and loot. 

Seems very very ambitious. Literally just from reading this last response, I really am digging the way you think double M. 

Wondrous concept, might I say. Although, unfortunately, I actually have quite little to suggest here, but nevertheless, I anticipate its coming, so you might as well count me up.

I love this concept so much. However, I have a couple questions:

1. What will the players actually do at these different stations? Will we be exploring those time periods/worlds or just observing them from the train?

2. Will we be visiting actual time periods and alternate worlds, like one where the Axis won WWII or a world where the Cold War never ended, or more fantastical worlds with magic and such?

This sounds like it has great potential. Very creative.

One possible problem I could see though would arise from the plot. Are you going to manufacture little plot points and quests at each station? That's the impression I got from reading it. However, that would have to be really well done to create a real lasting tension, that could keep interest in the roleplay high. A possible suggestion would be to have some antagonist(s)/overarching problem that is present throughout each parallel dimension, keeping pace with the passengers. (Have you read the Bobby Pendragon books? Sort of like that)

I love this concept so much. However, I have a couple questions:

1. What will the players actually do at these different stations? Will we be exploring those time periods/worlds or just observing them from the train?

2. Will we be visiting actual time periods and alternate worlds, like one where the Axis won WWII or a world where the Cold War never ended, or more fantastical worlds with magic and such?

1. I plan to have side-missions and assignments for them to accomplish. They'll be developed as we go, so I can't really get into detail. Exploration will be a theme, as it gives characters and their players a chance to stretch their legs. 
  2. It will be a real mix of both. I'm going to try to make alternative worlds that will really interest players, and give their characters something to marvel at. 

This sounds like it has great potential. Very creative.

One possible problem I could see though would arise from the plot. Are you going to manufacture little plot points and quests at each station? That's the impression I got from reading it. However, that would have to be really well done to create a real lasting tension, that could keep interest in the roleplay high. A possible suggestion would be to have some antagonist(s)/overarching problem that is present throughout each parallel dimension, keeping pace with the passengers. (Have you read the Bobby Pendragon books? Sort of like that)

Yes, I plan on making side-missions and minor quests at each station. The objectives will always have a practical reason, beyond exploring and surviving, that wil add the player characters in their attempt to reach the Engine, and wrest control of the Lie, finding a way back home. 

I would like to follow your suggestion. I hope I can find one or two people, as Co-GMs, who would like to assist me in developing those antagonists and obstacles for our players. At the start, the main antagonist will be a person you already known, the illustrious Conductor and Clue.   

still waiting on this, I'd like to Co-GM if possible. :)

I'd love to have you on. The RP will take a little time to make, as I'm currently embroiled in a few of mine already. I was using this thread as a feeler to gauge the interest in such an project. So far, I'm not disappointed :D  

This reminds me of a roleplay I once saw in Interest Check like last year around this month. The roleplay wasn't done (i think since after a few weeks I left the site again) and i think the GM is still here around.. just can't remember HER name.

Anyway, this is so cool and would love to join... but my timezone.... 

I'd love to have you on. The RP will take a little time to make, as I'm currently embroiled in a few of mine already. I was using this thread as a feeler to gauge the interest in such an project. So far, I'm not disappointed :D  

You didn't reply when i sent you the link to my rp is that because your in a few of your own?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back