• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Crosshairs (closed)

Sleepless_Dreamer

(semi)functioning human
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
@Aerynne

The forest was quiet, save for the sounds of about eight pairs of boots quietly crunching on leaves and twigs. The harsh beams of flashlights swept this way and that. The tiny little shack was in view now. Ten yards out. A static voice said. The team branched off. Three taking the north perimeter, three taking the south, two heading straight for the front door. A black booted foot kicked in the sorry excuse for an entry way.

"CPD!" Voices called out all at once.

Guns were raised and the flashlights trained, but the meth lab was empty. Save for the single body of a man, shredded beyond recognition.

Elise had gone back the next night. Ever since they had finished their sweep of the crime scene, something didn't feel right. Against everyone's better judgement, even her own, she went back. There were no signs of forced entry, no way for a wild animal (which is what they suspected) to break into that place. It was as if the idiot had just let in a feral beast, thinking he could tame it like a lapdog or something. Maybe it wasn't a beast, though... Maybe it was a person, someone the vic had trusted... someone that tore them to shreds as a reward for that trust.

It was dark and cold, as it seemed to be all the time anymore. She was kneeling outside, turning over some wet leaves when she heard the growl. By the time she looked up... it was too late.

Elise Montgomery walked slowly out of the seedy nightclub. By now, some very rich idiots were probably getting high as kites up there in their VIP suite. Dumbasses... didn't know what they were getting themselves into. She sure as shit wasn't going to be the one to tell them, though.

Ding.

Her phone buzzed in her back pocket. She retrieved it to see the notification from her bank account. The money had been transferred already. Sighing, both out of relief and exhaustion, Elise slid the phone back into the pocket of her dark wash jeans. Gray, ankle length wedge boots carried her away from the club and the stench of vampire that came with it. She took off her gray midi jacket, leaving her in just a black tank top beneath. People passing by looked at her like she was insane. It was only 17 degrees out. She paid them no mind. Instead, she stood at the edge of the sidewalk and took in her surroundings with vibrant, almost lavender eyes. She took her phone out again.

"Hey, Siri..." She said, and the screen lit up. "Show me some good places to eat around here."-​

The brisk night air shifted through ruffled hair as James lurked in the shadows of a shabby bar, the dark blue pools of his eyes following his distant target. Her scent was flooding into his nostrils and he swatted at the air, clearing his head. He had several reports of activity that was not of his pack and he had taken it upon himself to investigate further. Her behaviors so far were unusual to say the least. While he didn't have a way to know, he suspected she was a victim of the previous pack leader before he had met a violent demise.

Her pace was leisure as he followed at a distance, not letting her leave his sight for more than a few moments, save for when she entered a club that was known throughout the pack to be associated with a blood-sucking bastard. A new wolf who was fraternizing with vampires? Not only was this unconventional, it was a bit concerning. Werewolf and vampire hatred wasn't depicted by Hollywood without appropriate reasoning - they truly were at war with each other.

Her face was lit up by the light of her cell phone and he held his breath listening. Perhaps her search for a place to eat would result with a necessary encounter. A vibration was sent up his leg, no doubt another message from Robert, who was anything but patient with this matter. Ignoring his phone, he shifted his weight from one leg to another, watching Elise.

Last edited by a moderator:

"Here are some good places to grab a bite."

Siri said in her surprisingly uplifting monotone voice. Elise scanned over the possibilities. Unsurprisingly, she settled on some hole in the wall that was known for its remarkable burgers. All of this illegal drug running sure could make a girl hungry. Pulling her lower lip between her teeth, she seemed to stop and ponder something a moment. She was looking at her phone, as if contemplating doing something. Whatever it was, she decided against it, for she slid her phone into her pants pocket and resumed walking. She kept her jacket slung over her shoulder, still feeling a bit warm from her jostled nerves. Being in that club had left her around way more bad people than she felt like being around. Clay was not known for his appealing demeanor, and his associates were even less so. She'd had the unfortunate pleasure of running to Michael Bentley... just the thought of him made her skin crawl. He was known among the coven for his positively medieval ways and his psychotic obsession with pain.

"Money's good..." She had to remind herself.

Booted feet carried her down Euclid and to the location that Siri had so diligently suggested for her. It was a hole in the wall. Literally. The name was Hole in the Wall Bar. Great... she thought. I've dealt with one sleaze bag tonight, why not deal with a couple more? She stood at the sidewalk, waiting for the crosswalk light to turn so she could move. A cool gust blew by, causing her blonde tresses to fly wildly about her. She tilted her head back a bit, lifting her nose up ever so slightly to catch the wind. Her sense of smell was remarkable, even by wolf standards. And that... is when it hit her.

"Shit..."

She could smell a wolf's scent. Way too close for comfort. Close enough that he could probably smell her, too. This wasn't the first time Elise had caught another wolf's scent in her vicinity, but that didn't mean it made her feel any less worried about it. All of the other times, she had played it cool and no one seemed to notice or care about her existence. She had been moving around enough before that she wasn't stepping on any toes. But she had been in this territory for almost a month now. It wouldn't be a surprise if she'd been noticed. Shrugging into her jacket in some hopes of masking her scent a little more, Elise decided that she was suddenly not hungry.

Her long legs carried her across the street, but she kept walking, right on past the bar. She had to keep moving to see if she was being followed or not. And if she was? Well, she would have to just run. She couldn't afford to get into an altercation with a wolf, especially not this close to Clay's territory. If he sensed something was up... well, let's just say Elise didn't want him knowing any more about her than was absolutely necessary.

Poor James would find his phone buzzing at least two more times. Robert was... persistent, to say the least. As pack enforcer, he was usually the one to do these sorts of things. What's more, the Alpha was out doing it. It was Robert's job to protect his Alpha, and he knew that James' going out always put him in danger. He also knew that James was capable of taking care of himself but... well, there numbers were painfully small as it were. They had no females left, and James was a new... and young... Alpha. They needed to keep their pack as strong and as numerous as possible.-​

James continued to follow at a distance, watching her move along the street to what seemed like a destination before suddenly changing her mind. She knew. He couldn't help but sigh, disappointed in himself for being noticed. While it didn't really make a difference, he had hoped to at least get her away from the vampire territory before he interacted with her. He continued after her, careful not to lose her among turns and twists, finally picking up speed to narrow the space between.

"Excuse me," his deep voice echoed on the now empty street they had found themselves on. He stopped moving, standing in a relaxed pose under a street light. He knew better than to come across as aggressive or a threat. Dominance didn't always need to be shown with a brawl. "Can we speak somewhere, Elise?"

The night was dipping down into it's pits and the breeze had a light bite to it. Another vibration from his pocket registered in his mind, but James did not react to it. Instead he was focused on Elise and trying to predict if she was going to make this easier on them both or if it'd result in a chase. He had no doubt in his mind a chase would end in his favor, but he preferred their first encounter was a calm one.

-The more she walked, the smaller Elise's hope of escape became. She became hyper aware of the fact that she was being followed. The only good thing was the the other wolf didn't seem to be picking up its pace at all, so at least it wasn't going to turn into a matter of running. She could if she needed to, but she really... really... didn't feel like it. She wound a corner, coming just about up to an old abandoned corner market when she heard him speak for the first time. She visibly winced.

Slowly, cautiously, Elise turned around so that she could face her pursuer. She was still a few yards away from him, but this area was relatively abandoned enough at this cold hour to still make their encounter somewhat private. Her vibrant eyes took him in, assessing him up and down before finally settling on his face. There was assertiveness in his eyes, but not necessarily malevolence.

"Wha-... How do you know my name?"

It was expected that one wolf would be able to smell the other one out, but to know her name? Well that was just a little bit frightening. The blonde chewed on the inside of her cheek for a moment, shifting her weight this way and that as she contemplated her options. He was big, which probably meant he wasn't as fast as she was... but she was tired, and she couldn't guarantee a clean getaway. For now, she would see what he had to say. If she felt things were getting too tense, then she would bolt.

"We're speaking right now," she said. She looked left and right. Not too many bystanders. Taking a breath, she took just a couple steps closer to him.

"Something I can help you with?" She asked, tilted her head to the side and offering her best "trust me, I'm harmless" smile.-

James' lips couldn't help put curl up into a grin. While he hadn't been following her for longer than the past few nights, he could tell already that responses such as these were her natural fallback when she was uncomfortable. As he opened his mouth to reply, he felt yet another vibration on his leg. Sighing, he reached into his pocket, looking to see that it was exactly who he presumed it would be.

"We are talking," he agreed, glancing back up at her, "But something tells me we'd both prefer to talk somewhere else. Somewhere that your...employers... are less likely to hear of us speaking?" His left eyebrow had raised slightly higher than the right as the word passed his lips.

Pressing the side button to dismiss the call, he held the phone to his side, he closed the space between them in a surprisingly short time. "I don't believe you know what you're in the middle of." His voice was calm and even as he looked down on her, eyes locked on to hers. "If you need help, I can get you help. If they're holding someone, something that's keeping you, you don't need to do this. But...if you choose to help them," he paused, his face grave, "I will protect no wolf who worships those monsters."

His phone buzzed again and it took all of James' strength not to hurl it into the concrete. "Do you still want to talk here?"

Elise swallowed a lump that had been forming in her throat. As James approached her, she straightened up a bit and lifted her chin ever so slightly. The natural instinct of making oneself appear larger. It was a very common ploy in the feral world. She also made the mistake of taking a deep breath, which served only to wash her senses with his scent. It was a powerful one, and it caused the wolf inside of her to stir ever so slightly. It had been nearly a week since her last Change. To say she was a little testy would be a hell of an understatement. She licked her lower lip and exhaled slowly.

"A rock and a hard place, apparently..." Elise responded when the wolf said he didn't know what she was in the middle of. She canted her head to the side, observing him with those lavender eyes. "They aren't holding anything over me. And I don't worship them either.."

She scrunched her nose up at the sheer thought of cozying up next to those monsters. They were cold, calculated machines. That made Elise more uncomfortable than any number of hot-headed loose cannons. She folded her arms across her chest.

"Money's good, though..."

Elise's eyes dropped to the phone as James checked it for the umpteenth time. A slow smirk formed on her face, and she perked a brow.

"Pushy girlfriend?" She asked in a teasing manner.

But when he asked if she still wanted to talk here, she knew that she didn't. If Clay or any one of his goons saw her standing around conversing with a wolf on what was technically his territory... well he wouldn't be too happy about that. So, even though it was against her better judgement, she agreed to go elsewhere. Waving a hand out in front of her, she gestured for the male to lead the way. She sure as hell wasn't going to be doing so. Giving him her back would be suicide. Besides, she wanted to keep an eye on him in case he tried something. He wasn't half bad looking either.

Money? He scoffed. What was money when you were torn apart, limb by limb and had your family hunted down and destroyed? Her following comment received a brief look of confusion before realizing she had been referring to his phone. The approaching male shrugged his shoulder, wondering how to answer for a moment before doing just that. 

"My...associate," he decided on, unsure of how well she understood pack roles and positions. He recalled the number now listed 5 times in his call history, speaking before Robert had a chance. "54th and Archimedes. We'll be waiting." He hung up quickly, not wanting to give him a chance to argue with him. The bastard enjoyed any chance he could to do just that, and now wasn't a time for bickering or bartering. They were on a schedule and the night was not going to wait for them, regardless of what they had hoped it would do.

"Decided you're not hungry?" he attempted a casual conversation, eyes scanning her and processing every small movement.

Her observant eyes gauged James' reaction to her statement. He thought the money was for herself. Good. She needed everyone to think that she was being completely selfish and reckless. She especially needed the vampires to think that. If they learned the truth, the truth about why she really needed that money... well that would truly be when she needed to leave. For now, though, everyone thought she was just some shallow fool.

Elise watched and listened as James made the phone call. Surely one of his pack mates. That thought didn't sit too well with her. She didn't like the idea of being outnumbered. But she had to keep cool for now. Stuffing her hands into her jacket pockets, she kept her eyes on James as they moved. The cold air bit at her cheeks, causing her cream complexion to redden in some areas.

"Yeah, well... you tend to lose your appetite when you realize you're being followed. By a wolf, no less."

Her eyes briefly lifted to his face when she gave her response. She was a fiery one, that was for sure. Very witty. But she was also smart. Her days as a cop had taught her logic and how to keep a level head in even the most difficult of times. Even now, she was making sure she took everything in. Where she was, escape routes, how may people were around... everything

"So, you clearly know more about me than I'm comfortable with. Do I at least get your name? Or are we sticking with this whole... air of mystery thing you have going on?"

She canted her head to the side, blonde waves cascading over her shoulder. It was easy to tell that she had probably had more interaction with men than women. Her days on the force had ensured that, and now most of the vampires she was dealing with were men. Cold, clammy, disgusting men... but men nonetheless.

Meanwhile, Robert was making haste toward the destination that James had indicated. His nerves had been a wreck all night, and he had found himself pacing mindlessly around the manor that served as the meeting point and sometimes home for all the pack members. Sure, they were all adults with their own places to live, but they always seemed to gravitate toward the manor. Its rustic design and dark cherry wood brought some strange source of earthy comfort to the wolves.

The Enforcer arrived at the destination before his Alpha. Which made sense, seeing as he had driven his truck over there. Still, he was nervous that they weren't there yet. He stepped out into the cool night, standing at a startling 6'4" of solid muscle. His shaved head and dark brown eyes just added to the intimidation. Jeans, a black t-shirt and black coat finished the look. Granted, Robert was a loud mouth, a little bit of a pervert, and an endless pit when it came to food. He wasn't as terrifying as he looked, but he needed people to believe that he was. He embraced the role, really.

"This girl better be at least a seven for us to be going through all this trouble..." Robert found himself saying... to himself. "I mean, I know our numbers are low. And we need a tracker, but damn... this... this is just some crazy shit."

As they moved through the dark streets, the random people passing by or across the road lessened to few and far between. While James was eager to be out of the well-watched vampire territory, he also didn't want to risk her trying to back out or seem pushy. He strode casually, nearly at her side but slightly ahead, looking down whenever she spoke to watch her face. She was intriguing, a threat or not.

"But aren't we wolves known for our appetites?" he couldn't resist a small joke, a silly grin slipping out. "James, and while I don't mean to come off as mysterious, I'm sure you can appreciate that we're hesitant to divulging large amount of information in this neighborhood."

Turning the corner, he could see the silhouette of Robert awaiting them. He had long since known they were close, street signs or not. While they weren't telepathic, within the pack they had a sixth sense that alerted them when another pack member was nearby. He nodded at his Enforcer, leaning to speak to Elise again.

"I'm just going to apologize in advance for...anything. This is Robert and he can be a bit...blunt? He means well," he assured her as they drew close. "I told you I'd be fine and you still had to go and blow up my phone? Calm down, man, I swear." He patted a hand on Robert's back, facing Elise now.

"Robert, Elise. Now can we please get out of here before we're stabbed or worse?"

All this talk about food had Elise's stomach seriously mad at her. She had been pretty hungry before this all started, but she could hardly suggest that they break for a hamburger. If only... She found that James might be a lot easier to handle if she had a plate of ground beef sitting in front of her. She frowned at the thought, and her stomach growled. She quickly placed a hand upon it, as if to shut it up. She was sure James heard it, but he wasn't commenting so that was good.

"Can't argue with you on that front," she commented about the neighborhood. The place was practically crawling with eyes and ears. Elise had been around long enough to know the usual places and the usual suspects, but that didn't mean Clay didn't throw out a surprise every now and again. He had been leading the coven in this territory for a long time now, and there was a reason for that.

Elise perked a brow as James apologized in advance for Robert. She lifted her face questioningly to the Alpha, but as she was about to ask what he meant, Robert's smell smacked her in the face. This was promptly followed by the image of Robert himself. The wolf within Elise growled and rose her hackles. On the outside, Elise glared.

Robert stepped away from his truck and held his hands up as if in surrender. Not to Elise, but to James' badgering "Hey, someone's gotta look out for you if you refuse to look out for your- Hello."

His sentence was immediately ended by the bristling blonde that came to a stop next to James. A look of understanding passed over Robert's features as he very clearly eyed her up and down.

"Alright... okay, I get it." He folded his massive arms across his chest and grinned. "So this is the girl doing the running for Clay's crew, huh? Must be one tough bi-"

"I swear to God if you say that word I will personally shove your face through your windshield." Elise said, taking a step toward Robert.

Robert, much to Elise's surprise, gave a hearty laugh in response to this. He moved one hand to the back of his neck and rubbed his bald head.

"Ooh, I like her already! Okay, c'mon get in. I'll take us somewhere less... dead." He lead James and Elise over to the truck. It was a four door, which Elise was thankful for. If she had to sit in the same row with these two she would probably throw herself out of the moving vehicle as soon as it got above 40 miles per hour. Sitting in the back, she folded her arms across her chest. As much as she hated to admit it, she was thankful for the warmth, and the fact that they were getting out of Clay's territory.

"So," Robert said as he started the engine. "Where to?"

James had stood back, watching the exchange between his Enforcer and now close friend while leaning against the truck. Robert could be....abrasive...to say the least, but it was a quality that James could not say he was against. He was a man he had trusted with his life on countless occasions and knew there would undoubtedly be more. As Robert was seizing the opportunity (as he always did) to try and make what he felt would be a suave impression on an attractive female, James attempted to jump in.

"Carefu-" he was cut off before a word was even out by Elise. Well then, maybe she wasn't anywhere near as dainty as she appeared. He let out a hearty laugh, climbing into the passenger's side and rolling his head back. The weight of the day and all of it's stressful contents were weighing down on him. That, coupled with the current task of convincing the woman who currently showed no interest to do the unthinkable was going to certainly earn his sleep that night. 

"Let's get food before she decides to bite your head off," he chuckled looking up at the rear-view mirror to watch Elise. "Your choice," he offered, possibly as a small peace offering, but more as an attempt to keep her comfortable.

Unbelievable, Elise thought from the backseat. She was supposed to seriously sit in the same restaurant as these two? But... well she was very hungry. She could feel her stomach clenching up at the sheer thought of food. Taking a deep breath-- through her mouth so as not to inhale too much of these two wolves-- Elise contemplated her answer.

"Oh, any old hole in the wall with greasy burgers and cheap beer will do."

"Woman after my own heart," Robert commented.

Elise placed her hands on either head rest in front of her and leaned forward so her head was in between the two men.

"I could go for a nice juicy steak, but I can't guarantee I won't shove the knife through anyone's eyeball." She said, making a very pointed effort to glare at Robert.

He could feel the icy glare sent his way, but he kept his eyes on the road. He actually got goosebumps. Somehow, he was able to tell that this she-wolf was most definitely not all bark and no bite. He had a feeling she was all bite. She could make a valuable asset to their team, and he conveyed something like that through a look he sent to James.

Elise went back to her brooding in the back seat. She felt her phone buzz and distracted herself by looking at it. It was Clay. A simple message that said, "Rhodes building. Tomorrow after sundown." She felt her stomach churn, but she didn't make the usual groan of disgust she would have normally made. Didn't want to tip her new companions off. Running her tongue along her lower lip, Elise put her phone back in her pocket and leaned back again.

Eventually, they made it to some place called Gallo's that Robert had deemed appropriate to meet Elise's demands. She was relieved to pile out of the truck and get some open air before they headed into the establishment. It had a sort of old sports bar sort of feel, with several middle aged men sitting at the bar clutching beers and watching highlights from last weekend playoff games.

"Damn Steelers..." One of them was saying.

"Hey, if you ask me... it's Peyton's last hurrah. Broncos all the way!"

Elise by-passed the men, not without glances her way that were promptly ended when they realized the two very strong looking males she was with. She found a high-top table close enough to the patio door that she could maybe bolt if she needed to. After taking a seat, she slid her jacket off and let it hang on the chair behind her. Her long arms were left bare, showing a small teal and purple dragonfly tattoo on her right wrist, and some thin gold bracelets on her left. She steepled her hands together in front of her.

"Alright... so I'm assuming you have some sort of proposal you need to give me?" She said, looking at James. "Shoot."

James all but lost control of himself when Elise took control and quickly showed Robert his place. He hadn't seen him take a ferocious turn down so well....ever. He laughed, relaxed in his seat.

"Oh Rob, Rob, Rob. We have found ourselves the littlest wolf who's got the biggest bite. You better watch yourself or she's gonna have you passed out on the floor," he joked as they pulled in, weaving through the relatively empty building and its many tables and chairs. He arrived slightly behind the other two, momentarily distracted by a game that caught his attention.

Folding himself into the chair and leaning back he shook his head at the over-eager blonde. "First, food. You're not the only one who's starved, I promise," he instructed turning his head to holler at the barmaid who already had her gaze set on them. "Can we get 3 burger baskets and 3 pints of whatever is cold on tap?" he called to her, tossing in a small wink which was greeted with a smile and nod.

Turning back in his seat he added to Elise. "Besides, you probably shouldn't be dropping that word around Robert, you'll break his little heart, "he joked, nudging the other male with a silly grin.

"What? Proposal?" Elise asked, looking at Robert. The big guy simply shrugged, relatively aloof. He wasn't exactly used to rejection, but then again he usually didn't go after girls who were smart enough to think better about dating him. He liked them stupid for a reason... made him feel smarter.

Elise pulled some hair out of her face, pushing it behind her shoulder. She was glad that James had ordered. The food couldn't get here fast enough in her opinion. It must be nice, she thought, to be handsome and be able to wink at someone and have your wish be their command. She would have been willing to bet that, that waitress was bumping their order to the first on her list. Sighing, the blonde leaned back in her chair a bit and folded her arms across her chest. Robert's eyes, momentarily distracted by the gesture, turned to James.

"So, you found her wandering around Clay's territory, huh?"

Elise rose a brow. Did he not realize she was right there? He could ask her those questions himself. Clearing her throat, she waved a hand at him. "Uh, yeah... I was. As I'm sure your master and commander has told you, I do runs for Clay."

Robert bristled and actually growled low in his throat at how casually Elise talked about dealing with those damn blood suckers. He hated Clay, but he hated his right hand man, Michael, even more. Michael had killed the last Alpha's brother, leading to the Alpha's fall out which, eventually led to James becoming Alpha. If he could have had it his way, Robert would have liked to wipe every single one of them out of the area. But... age old treaties were still intact. As unstable as they were, they still had to honor them.

"You work for the blood suckers... yeah I get that. I didn't think you'd be so smug about it, though." He looked at James. "Why have we not killed her yet?"

He had sat back, watching their exchange silently and with a smile until Robert's tone change to such aggression. He couldn't say he disagreed with his feelings toward the vampire, but that also didn't mean he was just going to let him start a fight here, nor would he let Elise's first impression of them be violence.

"Enough," he asserted, eyes narrowed on Robert, jaw straight. His inner will as Alpha stepping into play. "You knew before the situation wasn't ideal but," he paused for a moment, exhaling, "We need her and she'll need us."

Just as he was about to continue he heard the sound of boots behind and could smell a deliciously greasy meal approaching. His face relaxed and he turned to smile at the barmaid who had just arrived with their food and drinks. As she disappeared he looked between both Robert and Elise before resting his gaze on her soft face.

"Regardless of why you're working for them, how long do you think it'll be a safe choice? I'm sure you're more than familiar with Clay and his right hand monster's habits of....disposing of those whose their purpose." He looked away, raising the large, grease-dripping burger to his lips and taking a bite, eyes returning to his face.

Regardless of how outspoken and loud Robert was, he did not question his Alpha when he asserted his dominance. Sure, there were times when Robert would butt heads with him about things, but when James let the wolf show, Robert knew better than to oppose it. So, he kept his trap shut for now. When the food and beer arrived, he immediately told the waitress that they were going to need at least another pitcher. Robert could put food and beer away like it was nothing. Given his size and increased metabolism it wasn't hard to believe.

What was a little more surprising was how Elise could do the same. She worked through her burger before either of the men finished their's. By the time they were, she was about halfway through her fries. How she maintained that figure was a complete and total mystery. But it was probably a combination of her metabolism and how much running she did (mostly in human form). As she washed her french fry down with a gulp of beer, Elise contemplated James's question. He had a point, and she knew it. She hadn't been submersed in this world for long, but she had a good enough feel for how the vampires worked to know it ultimately wouldn't be in her favor.

"Hadn't really thought about it," she admitted. "I guess until I didn't need the money anymore. Or at least until I didn't need it as quickly."

Sure, she could get a job eventually, but that would entail letting the world know that she wasn't dead or holed up in a third world country somewhere which was, as of right now, what they thought. Jobs would mean paychecks, though, and paychecks meant waiting for the money. With Clay, she got the cash instantly to the account that paid for Anne's medical bills. Paid to keep her alive. If that's what you wanted to call it.

"What do you need all this money for?" Robert chimed in, having just finished his burger.

"To support my drug habit," Elise replied in her sarcastic tone. "Hookers and blow don't come cheap like they used to."

Despite her joking tone, there was a look in her eye that told Robert not to question the issue any further. This... bothered him. He had the feeling that this chick had some serious skeletons in her closet. Bringing her into the pack without getting a better feel for her could be dangerous. That is partly why Robert had insisted that any new packmates have to get through him first. Beat him in a sparring match to prove their worth when it came to fighting. James was still iffy on that idea, though. Robert pushed his mostly empty plate aside and clasped his hands together at the back of his neck. Stretching his arms, shoulders, and pectorals, he said nothing but merely thought and waited for James to react.

James had stayed mostly quiet while he ate, his own thoughts buzzing. He didn't have to speak to Robert to knew exactly what he'd want to say to him, were they in private. This is a bad idea, you can't trust her because you can't trust them, on and on he'd ramble. While James had a very strong sense of loyalty to his pack, Robert was determined to protect them and took any threat very personal.

Clay and his entourage could never be trusted, and he wouldn't give Elise more than 6 months before she was disposed of. Even as hard-headed and clever as she was (and knew it), there wasn't a person in the world who could battle off dozens of blood-sucking, ancient creatures. He knew first hand. Even a well-prepared, large pack had little chance against the number they had in hiding, but they would certainly do damage in the process.

"Join us," he simply said, finished now with his food and taking a swig of the chilled beer. "You can join us and continue to run their errands, but we need to know about what's happening. Whether you know it or not, you are a part of a huge operation that Clay is doing, and it's not as simple as hits here and there. " He paused, hesitant to delve into further details of her alternate options.

Robert was waiting on bated breath, knowing that the moment was going to come sooner or later. He could only hope that maybe, just maybe, James would change his mind and think better about having Elise join the pack. Unfortunately, the moment soon came, and James made his proposition. Robert groaned and poured himself a third beer whilst signaling the waitress that she might as well bring another pitcher around. Elise glanced Robert's way briefly. Oh, yes... Join the pack. Because she and Robert would just get along so well. She bit her lower lip a moment.

"How many of you are there?" She asked, a question that made Robert uncomfortable. Before he could get defensive, she held up a hand. "Really, it's not like I'm going to try and stage some attack. Me against a whole pack. Even if it were just the two of you, I obviously wouldn't win."

While Elise was somewhat of a rarity-- most females that were bitten died during their first Change-- she knew her limitations. She was a new wolf, with all of that unbridled ferocity, but there was no way she could take on an Alpha and a brute like Robert.

"I ask because, well... you must be kind of desperate if you are even giving me the option of joining. Most mutts don't get that luxury. They're either chased off or killed, no questions asked."

"How do you know that?" Robert eyed her suspiciously.

"You honestly think I wouldn't do my research the second I figured out just what kind of new world I got in? I was a cop... old habits die hard, I guess."

Robert nodded, realization suddenly dawning on him once he realized what Elise's profession was. A cop. He could see it. It was actually kind of hot, picturing her wearing that uniform, busting down doors. Noticing the stupid grin on his face, Elise wrinkled her nose and turned her attention toward James.

"I don't suppose there's any way you would just, I don't know... let me keep doing what I'm doing? Not join the pack. Keep running for Clay and-" But she noticed the expression on James's face and stopped. "No... no of course not. I suppose I don't really have much of an option here."

Elise took the last swig of the beer left in her glass and set it down on the table. Leaning back, she ran her fingers through her long blonde mane, pushing it away from her face. The bracelets on her wrist jingled in the process, a happy little tune it seemed. She pulled her lower lip between her teeth a moment before releasing it with an exhale.

"I don't know the first thing about how to be a good little dog..." she began.

"We'd teach you." Robert said.

Elise continued. "And I would need to keep some level of independence if I'm to keep running for clay. I don't think he'll take too kindly to learning I have a pack. Oh, and... well there's the tiny matter of I haven't Changed in... ten days. So..."

Robert about spit out his beer. Ten days?! What the hell was wrong with her? He looked at James, wondering if he would be as shocked at this as he was.

His arms were folded to his chest as he watched the two converse. While he received glances and was sure they were both eager for his responses and input, they weren't giving him much time to respond before diving deeper into their conversation.

"It's a miracle!" he exclaimed, "You found a way to shut him up." He shook his head, recapping as proof he had been more than attentive to the situation. "Desperate? I wouldn't say that. More along the lines of our lineage requires that anyone within our territory - which you may not be aware you frequently are - need to either be associated with us or disposed of. We can't have rogue puppies that run around doing much worse than tearing up carpet when it'll come back on us."

He took paused to take another drink before continuing. "As to behavior, that's a large benefit of being in a pack. We've all had coaching and training on how to control ourselves, how to go unnoticed, and also to know better than to force yourself to stay upright for prolonged periods." His eyebrow raised and he gave her a nearly scornful look.

"You may not have had the pleasure of feeling it, but if you don't change for long, when you do it's going to hurt like a son of a -" he was cut off by cheers at the bar and joyful celebration over a touchdown during a game recap. "Anyways, we wouldn't want Clay to be aware of our arrangement, but you would need to stay in contact to a certain point. You wouldn't be chained to a basement or locked away or anything. You need training and whatever it is you're doing this for, it cannot be enough to counter what they will do."

He set down his empty glass, returning to his closed pose.

Elise knew all about the pain. She would never, ever forget her first Change. No matter how much she wished she could. The pain had been so terrible. She honestly had no idea how she lived through it. God knows she didn't want to. She wanted to die, begged whatever powers above that she would die... but she didn't. She lived. And sometimes... she wished she hadn't. For now, she tried to turn away from those dark thoughts and focus on what James was saying. His sentence "whatever it is you're doing this for..." caused a pit to form in her stomach.

"It is enough," she replied coolly. "More than enough."

But the cryptic tone didn't leave room for elaboration. Besides, she changed the subject quickly afterward to avoid questioning. She inquired about training, and just who exactly would be doing that. Robert seemed to have finally found his words.

"I'd be teaching you how to fight."

"I know how to fight. Wanna see?"

The large male shook his head and leaned forward, placing his forearms on the table. "You know how to fight people. Not people who can turn into wolves. Or people who have been dead for a hundred years."

Elise couldn't argue that point. So far, she had managed to avoid any scuffles with other wolves or any of Clay's vampire cronies. She had punched one guy in the face, but he had deserved it and there had been no retaliation so at least that one worked in her favor. Also, the thought of exchanging punches with Robert was actually kind of appealing to her. She imagined all the different ways she could break his arm.

"You've already got the scent down, that much is apparent. And if you've been running for the leeches then that part's already taken care of. You'll need caught up on some of our history. Marcus would be good for that. And Anthony could educate you on the territory..." Robert looked at James. "What am I missing?"

Elise folded her arms across her chest. "Wait a second... Does your pack have any females in it?"

It took physical control for James not to sigh at her. Why was she trying so hard to stay mysterious to them? Did she think whatever it might be it would remain a secret for long - not only to them but to her nosy boss who had eyes on most of the city. It seemed like she was just going to have to figure this out over time.

"No," he answered, surprised Robert hadn't beat him to it with a smart response like they weren't able to handle him or they'd all been eaten. Maybe it was a good thing he'd kept his mouth shut...for once. "We are low on all numbers and we do not have females. Your research you've done should have told you the difference in survival for females compared to males."

His attention turned to Robert. "She needs to be shown the manor and given contact information to both of us and the others. Make sure she has any supplies she needs or wants. But most importantly...we need to get her somewhere to shift safely. The manor should be a good start, but not inside. You know how the others get if there's a mess to clean up."

"Other than trying to hide, why haven't you changed?" he questioned her, hand stroking his chin as he awaited her response.

"Hey, you're talking like I've agreed to join you. I haven't said that." Elise protested.

But everyone at that table knew better. She was going to join. Otherwise she would have told them no right off the bat instead of asking all of those questions. She didn't have a choice. She needed to keep getting the fast cash from Clay, and she could continue doing that while being a mole for the wolves. Also, being in a pack meant she wasn't running the threat of getting her throat ripped out, and maybe even offered her a little protection. She told herself that she just needed to keep getting the money long enough to figure out what her next step would be. To figure out how she would come back from the dead and get a real job where she had to fill out real paperwork and present her real ID.

Elise ran her fingers through her hair once more and let out a long, defeated sigh. She flicked her tongue across her lips briefly, wetting them and tasting the last remnants of beer. James's next question seemed to make her very uncomfortable. But instead of getting defensive and lashing out, she got quiet... real quiet. That was unusual, and even had Robert a little freaked out. The look on her face was pure pain. And guilt. Robert knew that look, because he had it himself every time he had to do what his job as Enforcer entailed. Curious, the brute furrowed his brow and watched Elise carefully.

"Because..." she said carefully. "I don't trust it. The wolf. She's dangerous and... and I don't want to hurt anyone."

It was kind of a vicious cycle, though. The wolf was dangerous, yes, but the longer she held it at bay the more dangerous and unstable it became when she let it out. She knew that the more she did it the less terrifying it would become, but she just couldn't bring herself to do it. It was like everytime she changed, she could still taste that blood on her tongue. Breathing in deeply, Elise sat up a bit straighter and tried to change the subject again.

"So this manor... is it like a guest house or something? Because the motel I've been staying in is pretty dinky, and I'm pretty sure the people in the room next to me have been filming a porno."

"Aaand.... why do you want to leave?" Robert perked a brow. He was all for the lighter sides of things. Heavy matters didn't mix well with him. The less serious he could be the better. He would leave all the somber stuff to the boss man.

Of course, the internal struggle of a new changeling. James had been so caught up in his thoughts, finding her, having her join them, that it had completely slipped his mind how horrible the first months could be. He hadn't had the pack when he was first changed, but found them shortly after. The assimilation and support had been a life saver, and he honestly didn't want to think of how that experience could be alone.

"It's where we can gather, learn and grown together. If need be, there is more than enough room for you to stay and it may be better if you're still growing used to yourself and your wolf."

He was careful not to seem to imposing. She was clearly opening up to them, even if she was protective and trying to shield herself.

"Hell, for all we know you're the one in the next room, Rob," he joked, shaking his head. They needed a brighter mood, all of them, but especially Elise. Withholding your wolf for long was dangerous and any emotion could easily set her off.

Standing up, he crossed to the bar, chatting briefly with the maid while paying for their meals. While it was hardly anything in comparison to the fortune the vampires had acquired over centuries, their pack was aged and had funds to cover all costs, even if they occasionally meant they would use it for pleasure.

"Well then!" Robert exclaimed loudly, slamming his hands down on the table and shaking the thing to its very core. "It's settled! Come to the manor tonight, check everything out. Marcus and Anthony shouldn't be there, so it won't be too overwhelming. Anthony and I are going on a run tonight. Scouting. You should come with if you-"

"No." Elise answered abruptly. "Thanks, but... I think I've had more than enough excitement for one night."

Robert shrugged. James was up and paying the bill by now, but Robert decided to remain on his good behavior. He watched as Elise pulled her coat back on and began to stand up. "Whoa- wait. What are you doing?"

Elise stood there, pulling her hair out from beneath her jacket. She zipped it up about halfway, leaving the top of her tanktop beneath exposed. Reaching into her coat pocket, she pulled out some chapstick and put it on. It was cool and minty, making her lips feel tingly and refreshed. She put the chapstick back into her pocket and tossed her hair out of her face.

"I'm going back to my motel. To check out, and to get my things." She explained things slowly to him, as if she were speaking to a child. "Here..." Grabbing a napkin and a Keno pencil off the table, she handed them to Robert. "Write down the address of the manor. I'll take a cab over."

Robert was skeptical.

"Oh come on... if I'm gonna join your pack you have to trust me, right?" Elise batted her eyelashes at him.

"Screw you." He responded to her ploys, but wrote the address down anyway.

"Not in your wildest dreams, big guy."

With that, Elise slipped out the patio door and headed into the night. Robert watched until she was out of sight, then released a heavy sigh. He joined James at the bar and explained to him that Elise would be meeting them up at the manor a little later. Patting his Alpha, but more importantly his friend, on the back, he lead the way out of the bar and to his truck.

"I really hope you're making the right decision here, J." He said as he entered the vehicle. "She's a wild one. And kind of scary."

With that, he put the vehicle into drive and headed for the manor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back