Opinion cringe culture is lame

Bun

ʰᵃⁿᵈˡᵉ ʷᶦᵗʰ ᶜᵃʳᵉ
let people enjoy what they want to enjoy without making them feel bad about it​

I just dont understand what cringe even means tbh no matter how often i read the definition or have people explain it to me. The concept simply doesnt make sense.

I just dont understand what cringe even means tbh no matter how often i read the definition or have people explain it to me. The concept simply doesnt make sense.
Basically take any unconventional niche interest (Furries are often picked, but its also applicable to shipping or fictional crushes) and then pretend how disturbing and weird it is. Its basically like edgy teens who wanna pretend they're super grown up by making fun of other kids who like kid stuff.

Basically take any unconventional niche interest (Furries are often picked, but its also applicable to shipping or fictional crushes) and then pretend how disturbing and weird it is. Its basically like edgy teens who wanna pretend they're super grown up by making fun of other kids who like kid stuff.
well i mean... everything starts from the bottom :o
Star wars was niche af so was reading novels and look at it now
thats just stupid

What cringe "culture"? It seems like you're implying that people find stuff weird or disturbing on purpose?

What cringe "culture"? It seems like you're implying that people find stuff weird or disturbing on purpose?
People have a right to their own opinions about things but when you actually say those thoughts out loud to hurt those people or belittle them, that’s when it’s suuuuper lame.

People have a right to their own opinions about things but when you actually say those thoughts out loud to hurt those people or belittle them, that’s when it’s suuuuper lame.
We're in perfect agreement there. In fact I would say, anything done for the purpose of hurting other people or belittling them is absolutely awful.

That said, that is not why people have a problem with things, generally speaking. It's the "culture" part that I think is incorrect, as it appears to imply (and I apologize if I'm just reading into it wrongly) that the "cringe" is purposeful or even ill-intended.

Last edited:
I definitely feel people should enjoy their own hobbies in their own privacy. But I can't help but cringe at some depending on how they're displayed. Example: An MLP fan sexualizing the ponies. That's just cringe and more. I don't cringe at entire fandoms like that, more the individual. People just like to generalize communities like that as a whole. Instead of seeing one individual being particularly gross they see that as the entire community and that isn't right.

Last edited:
“Cringe” is a double edged sword. It mostly connotes discomfort and disgust, considering the denotation I’m familiar with (“cringe” as a synonym for “wince” or “grimace”). For example, PrankInvasion making out with his sister for views? Hard cringe. People featured on r/IAmVeryBadass, r/NiceGuys, and r/ImNotLikeOtherGirls? Cringe City. Adults using “lit fam squad” to appeal to the youth instead of just being genuine? I cringe. Cringe is a useful concept, just like any other cultural concept.

Hating on the entirety of “cringe” is like hating on all furries. Everything has a toxic side, we’ve known this since ancient times. Daoism said it best. So “cringe culture” isn’t something to try and “cancel” because it’s “problematic”. How about instead of trying to treat a symptom, we treat the underlying illness? Promote kindness and love and discourage being mean. Simple.

Semi-unrelated to the topic, but you do realize that a good chunk of the content posted on those subreddits is either satire that people don't realize because they're not in on the joke, completely petty crap that nobody with a brain bothers tp care about, or complete fabrications created by the original poster in order to appease their ego and convince themselves that they are superior to whoever it is depicted in their post. That, if anything I see as the real, pardon my hypocrisy, cringe.

Semi-unrelated to the topic, but you do realize that a good chunk of the content posted on those subreddits is either satire that people don't realize because they're not in on the joke, completely petty crap that nobody with a brain bothers tp care about, or complete fabrications created by the original poster in order to appease their ego and convince themselves that they are superior to whoever it is depicted in their post. That, if anything I see as the real, pardon my hypocrisy, cringe.
“Promote kindness and love and discourage being mean. Simple.”
That is exactly what I’m doing uhhhhhh but I see where you’re coming from.

You’re gonna tell me you’ve never met people who fall into those archetypes? Because I have, many a time, and that’s where the subs come from. Whether or not their current state is certified fresh or not is unrelated.

“Promote kindness and love and discourage being mean. Simple.”
That is exactly what I’m doing uhhhhhh but I see where you’re coming from.
Uhhhhhh what you’re doing is condemning an entire concept because of those who use it wrongly.

Uhhhhhh what you’re doing is condemning an entire concept because of those who use it wrongly.
nope actually just saying to leave people to their interests as it truly affects you in no way whatsoever, but sure, be all sassy like that.
also, it seems like you're taking the word literally when i'm talking about cringe culture.
it has a definition and everything. might wanna check that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back