Advice/Help Creating and Moving the plot foreward

Destructive_demigod

Hey, so im trying to move the plot along but i always feel awkward. I may just need to jump into it and get used to doing it, but id like some tips on it. Any help, no matter the length, iz greatly appreciated.

Also, this is an adter thought, but id also like tips on how to turn concepts into full fledged plots that arent too restrictive in whats suppose to happen. And how do you guys go about world building in general?

Anything other advice is also appreciated

=^.^=

So I break my over arching plot into what I call Scenes. This works whether your plot is structured or more open-ended.

So basically if you have a goal you're working towards break it into bite sized chunks.

So say you're party's goal is to gather seven magical stones to change reality. You can make each scene either gathering a stone OR fighting your enemies who are trying to steal the stones.

Ex. Scene 1 gather Stone A. Scene 2 gather Stone B. Scene 3 Party Attacked, Bandit Tries to Steal Stones. Scene 4 Regather Stones A&B. OR Gather Stone C.

And so on and so forth. Each scene takes about two weeks IRL to complete. (time can be adjusted for posting schedules). At the end of two weeks you just time skip to the next scene.

If your plot isn't as structured just come up with some things for your characters to do. Ex. Go on vacation, go shopping, go to a party, etc. Like whatever activities make sense for the plot and again make it so the individual activity takes 2 weeks IRL to complete. At the end of the time just time skip to the next activity.

So I break my over arching plot into what I call Scenes. This works whether your plot is structured or more open-ended.

So basically if you have a goal you're working towards break it into bite sized chunks.

So say you're party's goal is to gather seven magical stones to change reality. You can make each scene either gathering a stone OR fighting your enemies who are trying to steal the stones.

Ex. Scene 1 gather Stone A. Scene 2 gather Stone B. Scene 3 Party Attacked, Bandit Tries to Steal Stones. Scene 4 Regather Stones A&B. OR Gather Stone C.

And so on and so forth. Each scene takes about two weeks IRL to complete. (time can be adjusted for posting schedules). At the end of two weeks you just time skip to the next scene.

If your plot isn't as structured just come up with some things for your characters to do. Ex. Go on vacation, go shopping, go to a party, etc. Like whatever activities make sense for the plot and again make it so the individual activity takes 2 weeks IRL to complete. At the end of the time just time skip to the next activity.
Thanks, this is great^^

I tend to stick to 1x1 RPs, but I find that I usually have a running idea of the major moves of the plot in my head. I may not know what the specific details are, but I try to have a basic idea of where I want to move the story as I go.

Like rae2nerdy rae2nerdy said above, think of the plot as a series of scenes. As long as you can figure out how to link one scene to the next, you'll be fine. I'm always trying to make sure that the actions my characters are taking will move them, knowingly or unknowingly, towards the next logical scene.

I tend to stick to 1x1 RPs, but I find that I usually have a running idea of the major moves of the plot in my head. I may not know what the specific details are, but I try to have a basic idea of where I want to move the story as I go.

Like rae2nerdy rae2nerdy said above, think of the plot as a series of scenes. As long as you can figure out how to link one scene to the next, you'll be fine. I'm always trying to make sure that the actions my characters are taking will move them, knowingly or unknowingly, towards the next logical scene.

Thanks to you too

Hey, so im trying to move the plot along but i always feel awkward. I may just need to jump into it and get used to doing it, but id like some tips on it. Any help, no matter the length, iz greatly appreciated.
This is a pretty tough question, as it is something I have issues with as well. The hardest part of moving the plot is how to get people to move on their own, and how to deal with moments which aren't as packed with plot, those breathers where players often end up lost on what to do and everything slows to a halt.

I don't have a good answer to give on the second point, but the first point starts with envolving players. Most of the time, you can't count on players being all that interested in your plot and your mystery etc... Players most often join roleplays because there is some character idea they want to try or because the setting seems cool to play around with or wanted to join an RP for that fandom... even those that do join because they liked the idea will be more committed to their own characters after making them than your RP. For this reason you want to try to channel that interest they have in their own ideas and characters towards moving the plot forward. Encourage or create certain interactions, take advantage of player's character traits and backstories to tie them into the plot and create ways that get players excited to push the plot forward.

It's not easy, and while this is a make or break factor for your roleplay, the techniques I am referring to here, and the solutions to these problems, are something that really needs to be mastered over time.

Also, this is an adter thought, but id also like tips on how to turn concepts into full fledged plots that arent too restrictive in whats suppose to happen.
Build around the concept, using elements that highlight what's interesting about it or what you want out of it. Here are some rules of thumb:

-If your concept is a setting premise, then just worldbuild it and make it interesting, easiest way to make a plot not too retrictive is to just have the premise be the kind of setting it has.
-If your concept is a task (take the concept of Ocean's 11, a very specific goal or mission, or the Hobbit's adventure to reclaim the mountain) then I'm afraid there is no way around making the plot very restrictive, and the best way is to create ways that are antagonistic for the characters to stray off their path. Allow characters to go off the path, but make it so that doesn't end up seeming like a good thing for the characters.
-If your concept is an event (X happened in the past or X is currently happening) allow for a diverse cast where people can do their own thing), but within the event itself.
-If your concept is a type of character (gifted, mutants, people with a given job...) either make the RP slice of life or switch to the event format.
-If your concept is just a character don't build an RP around it, instead try to find an RP to join with the character. Exception: 1x1s, but even then be mindful of your partner's own needs.

And how do you guys go about world building in general?
I am generally more inclined towards down-top worldbuilding, in that I typically start with a very broad worldconcept and then develop all the tiny details from there.

Beyond this, it really depends on the case. However, there is a golden rule to (good) worldbuilding: Consistency. Consistency of internal logic and consistency of consequences.

Consistency of internal logic means that while a world doesn't have to be realistic (it doesn't have to follow the laws of physics the way ours does for instance) if you change something about how that universe operates you have to stick to that change and common sense has to adapt. In a world where people can pop food out of thin air, why would people bother paying for it? It would probably be outrageous to pay for food. In a world where everyone can fly, you can't randomly have people that just can't for no reason. At least not if good worldbuilding matters to you. Antyhing you don't change about the world has to remain consistent with the type of common sense we know.

Consistency of consequence is a derivative of consequence of internal logic that basically says things must be justified by other events within your world's logic and they must create consequences that are appropriate as well. This part is not only a golden rule, but it also helps create worlds that are unique just by applying it. If everyone can fly, then the idea of flight technology probably wouldn't make any sense, but creating flying technology to help keep people safer in flights? That could appear. And walls would most likely take spherical shapes rather than trying to block a path anyone can just fly over.

Hope this helps

This is a pretty tough question, as it is something I have issues with as well. The hardest part of moving the plot is how to get people to move on their own, and how to deal with moments which aren't as packed with plot, those breathers where players often end up lost on what to do and everything slows to a halt.

I don't have a good answer to give on the second point, but the first point starts with envolving players. Most of the time, you can't count on players being all that interested in your plot and your mystery etc... Players most often join roleplays because there is some character idea they want to try or because the setting seems cool to play around with or wanted to join an RP for that fandom... even those that do join because they liked the idea will be more committed to their own characters after making them than your RP. For this reason you want to try to channel that interest they have in their own ideas and characters towards moving the plot forward. Encourage or create certain interactions, take advantage of player's character traits and backstories to tie them into the plot and create ways that get players excited to push the plot forward.

It's not easy, and while this is a make or break factor for your roleplay, the techniques I am referring to here, and the solutions to these problems, are something that really needs to be mastered over time.

Build around the concept, using elements that highlight what's interesting about it or what you want out of it. Here are some rules of thumb:

-If your concept is a setting premise, then just worldbuild it and make it interesting, easiest way to make a plot not too retrictive is to just have the premise be the kind of setting it has.
-If your concept is a task (take the concept of Ocean's 11, a very specific goal or mission, or the Hobbit's adventure to reclaim the mountain) then I'm afraid there is no way around making the plot very restrictive, and the best way is to create ways that are antagonistic for the characters to stray off their path. Allow characters to go off the path, but make it so that doesn't end up seeming like a good thing for the characters.
-If your concept is an event (X happened in the past or X is currently happening) allow for a diverse cast where people can do their own thing), but within the event itself.
-If your concept is a type of character (gifted, mutants, people with a given job...) either make the RP slice of life or switch to the event format.
-If your concept is just a character don't build an RP around it, instead try to find an RP to join with the character. Exception: 1x1s, but even then be mindful of your partner's own needs.

I am generally more inclined towards down-top worldbuilding, in that I typically start with a very broad worldconcept and then develop all the tiny details from there.

Beyond this, it really depends on the case. However, there is a golden rule to (good) worldbuilding: Consistency. Consistency of internal logic and consistency of consequences.

Consistency of internal logic means that while a world doesn't have to be realistic (it doesn't have to follow the laws of physics the way ours does for instance) if you change something about how that universe operates you have to stick to that change and common sense has to adapt. In a world where people can pop food out of thin air, why would people bother paying for it? It would probably be outrageous to pay for food. In a world where everyone can fly, you can't randomly have people that just can't for no reason. At least not if good worldbuilding matters to you. Antyhing you don't change about the world has to remain consistent with the type of common sense we know.

Consistency of consequence is a derivative of consequence of internal logic that basically says things must be justified by other events within your world's logic and they must create consequences that are appropriate as well. This part is not only a golden rule, but it also helps create worlds that are unique just by applying it. If everyone can fly, then the idea of flight technology probably wouldn't make any sense, but creating flying technology to help keep people safer in flights? That could appear. And walls would most likely take spherical shapes rather than trying to block a path anyone can just fly over.

Hope this helps
As always, your help is wonderful and very appreciated, thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back