Advice/Help Creating a Mushroom, Need Help with the scientific specifics

RitualDeadlyf

Forget It, Shoot Me
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I'm creating a Mushroom and need help when it comes to putting it in realistic terms like Phylum, order, class etc.

Anyone a fun-gi? No? Okay.

The Mushroom is called a Decai Cradle. Made up.

Singular Mushroom with a hive-like cap, undefined roots, white spore pods, rimmed stalk.

I have so far,
It's a humicolous class because it grows in the ground.

Basidiomycota Phylum because I don't know. Google. Agaricales Order. Google didn't explain it well.

Family would be Amanitaceae because of the rimmed stalk.

Am I on the right track? Would genius/Species be made up?

1680619824188.jpg

Wow! And I thought I did a lot of research into mushrooms.
I don't know whether all of that is accurate or not, but out of curiosity, what context would you need this information in?

It's for a world/RP. More for lore and understanding more about the mushroom itself. It's something that causes disease named Death Cradle or Decai Asporeus.

I have more information here if you're interested. It ties into other lore as well.

To preface, I'm no mycologist, this is all from memory and cursory research so take it with the biggest grain of salt.

I think you're on the right track as far as phylum, order, and class. I don't know of any hive cap mushrooms in the family you're referring to, but there is a first time for everything (plus it's the one with the most deadly shrooms).

For the genus and species, I'd look for a genus that is close to what you're looking for or make one up if you want the potential to create other mushrooms of the same genus in the future. Species you can make up (name obviously in Latin like everything else) as long as it isn't the same name as any other species.

I'm not in the discussion part of this place often, but you've caught my interest. Howdy! I studied mushrooms in my college career.

So, if you're going classic mushroom, Basidiomycota is the way to go. All capped mushrooms (or true mushrooms) are basidiomycota, so if you want it as a true mushroom, that's your phylum. Agaricales for order would be if you wanted the underside of the cap to be gilled. There's different types of undersides- gills, teeth, ridges, and pores. Agaricales have gills.

Though, for class, if you're using Agaricales as the order, I believe the class would be Agaricomycetes? The taxonomy of fungi is a bit touchy in the science community, frankly, but for surface level research for what classes go with which families/orders go with what classes, then the sidebar of a wikipedia page isn't too shabby.

For genus: if you're using Amanitaceae as your family, a majority of them are the Amanita genus. This cute little taxonomy browser here is good to get a look at how the family is broken up. This one as well; I'm a big fan of discoverlife!

Overall, I'd say that I wouldn't worry too much. As I said previously, mushroom taxa is hotly debated and a bit of a shitfest. Everything is constantly shifting around over and over as more stuff is discovered. So like! You've got a lot already.

Question though! Talking about the 'rimmed stalk', do you mean this? See pic below.

1681070882800.png

If so, this mushroom depiction is probably having that be an annulus, which the remanent of a mushrooms veil as it grows. I don't believe it specific to Amanitaceae; there's a lot of different types of annulus', and they're spread around different families, like the Macrolepiota genus from the Agaricaceae family.

1681071129757.png

I hope this helps! And that I'm not just ranting about mushrooms uselessly in a public space lol

EDIT: Just to go a bit further! Can I ask what you mean by hive-like caps, spore pods, and undefined roots? Generally speaking, I don't think any basidiomycetes have the hole/ridges in the cap like you're talking about; the closest thing I can think of is morels, which are from Ascomycota. For spores, I don't think many are in pods to my knowledge- puffball mushrooms might be considered a pod, but generally the spores are 'loose' so to speak (I believe, at least). As for the roots, do you mean the mycelial network? Basically, the white strings that come off the bottom of the bulb of the mushroom. Fun fact, the mycelium is the actual organism; the mushroom itself is more akin to a fruit, which is why picking them doesn't kill the organism : )!

Here's a good diagram for the anatomy and life cycle and stuff that's actually really informative.
1681072405503.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back