Advice/Help Confusing shorthand help pls

Dwhiskey

New to text based rp would like some help clarifying stuff

f// And m// - ???
M/F - does this imply the person posting plays the male character or does it just denote a hetero pairing?
Doubling up and your/my side - is it the same rp or two separate ones
Literate - tried looking this up in an rp context but it comes up with “multi-literate“ which mean proficient in different kinds of writing

thank yoouuu

Welcome to RPN and written role playing! =)

F// and M// are short hand for the type of romance a person it looking for in a role play. F// denotes that the person wants to play a female lead character, would like you to play a female as well, and that they are hoping for a romance between the two characters. M// is the male equivalent.

M/F typically means that they are looking for a hetero pairing.

Doubling up is short-hand for each person taking on two characters in a story. This is more common in fandom stories, where the majority want to play an original character (OC) in a romantic pairing with a canon character. (But it can be found in every genre.) Most of the time, when you double - each pairing has their own story-line, but they share the same world/setting/time period. Their paths can intersect too, allowing all four of the player characters to interact and make the story deeper. However! You can ask to have separate stories per pairing if that’s more your speed. Most folks will not mind doing that.

Literate. Oog. This is a label most writers use to say that they like properly written responses. Full sentences, no asterisks for actions, and usually a paragraph at a minimum...plus decent grammar, mechanics, etc. Everyone who uses the label holds it to a different standard though. =/ It’s best to just read a full search thread’s requirements section to get a real grasp of what the potential partner wants.

Once again, welcome! And feel free to ask more questions if you need more help settling in here. =)

Doubling up is usually used in romance pairings when the person has a specific love interest they want you to play for their character. So when they say 'your side/my side' what they mean is essentially. I will play your love interest for you IF you play my love interest for me.

Welcome to RPN and written role playing! =)

F// and M// are short hand for the type of romance a person it looking for in a role play. F// denotes that the person wants to play a female lead character, would like you to play a female as well, and that they are hoping for a romance between the two characters. M// is the male equivalent.

M/F typically means that they are looking for a hetero pairing.

Doubling up is short-hand for each person taking on two characters in a story. This is more common in fandom stories, where the majority want to play an original character (OC) in a romantic pairing with a canon character. (But it can be found in every genre.) Most of the time, when you double - each pairing has their own story-line, but they share the same world/setting/time period. Their paths can intersect too, allowing all four of the player characters to interact and make the story deeper. However! You can ask to have separate stories per pairing if that’s more your speed. Most folks will not mind doing that.

Literate. Oog. This is a label most writers use to say that they like properly written responses. Full sentences, no asterisks for actions, and usually a paragraph at a minimum...plus decent grammar, mechanics, etc. Everyone who uses the label holds it to a different standard though. =/ It’s best to just read a full search thread’s requirements section to get a real grasp of what the potential partner wants.

Once again, welcome! And feel free to ask more questions if you need more help settling in here. =)

This is so helpful!! Thank you so much, for the clarification and the warm welcome ╰(*´︶`*)╯♡

Doubling up is usually used in romance pairings when the person has a specific love interest they want you to play for their character. So when they say 'your side/my side' what they mean is essentially. I will play your love interest for you IF you play my love interest for me.

Ah I see! Quid pro quo, thank you!! Your pfp’s really cute _(:3 」∠)_

Hella Downweather Hella Downweather just informed me that there is a difference between asking for FxM and MxF and the difference is that the role the OP wants to play is first.

Literate means literally nothing at all, but usually means the poster has high standards for your writing length and/or quality, whatever they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back