• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Info Common Questions Concerning the Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lihulia's Legendary Explorer

1. Can you please take a screenshot when you are editing the thread?

2. The staff are working on a project to restore anything. It won't fix line breaks, however. There is a Site Update Survival guide, which I would link if I were on a phone. Instead, to find it, you can check Anomaly's signature.

3. I don't know what's wrong.

@Kazu

@Meredith

I was just wondering if hiding took the place of deleting posts in the role play functions. I own a role play and I have threads and even individual posts I would like to delete, but I can't find a way to accomplish that task. Is there anyway for me to delete posts or threads with the site as is?

@Kazu

@Meredith

I was just wondering if hiding took the place of deleting posts in the role play functions. I own a role play and I have threads and even individual posts I would like to delete, but I can't find a way to accomplish that task. Is there anyway for me to delete posts or threads with the site as is?

Hiding posts is the same thing as deleting them in the old RPN. It's just that they are "soft-deletes", meaning that the staff can still see them, and if they are deleted on your RP where you have access to limited mod powers, you also will be able to see "hidden"/"deleted" posts. 

Administrators are really the only ones who can truly "delete" a post. ^^ 

Okay! Finally got around to taking some screenshots...

Here's how you can find your old threads nice and easy!

View attachment 149870

STEP ONE! 

CLICK ON THE OPTION I HAVE CIRCLED IN RED. YOU CAN FIND IT ON YOUR PROFILE.

View attachment 149872

STEP TWO!

LOOK AT THE BIG LIST. LOOK THROUGH THEM CAREFULLY. THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL FIND YOUR BELOVED TREASURES.

View attachment 149871

STEP THREE!

LOOK THROUGH THEM. AS YOU CAN SEE HERE, I WAS SUCCESSFUL AND FOUND A STATUS FROM JULY 24TH. >:3 

View attachment 149873

AND HERE IS WHERE YOU'LL FIND OLD RPS

REMEMBER THAT ALL THE TABS HAVE BEEN REPLACED AND ALL OF THEM ARE NOW SEPARATE THREADS. YOU MUST LOOK CAREFULLY. THAT IS ALL. 

I HOPED I HELPED.

TYPING IN CAPS IS WEIRD

Finally, a step-by-step walkthrough of how to find my old content XD. However, I noticed that all of the content under Topics was only threads that were started by myself, not topics that I subscribed/watched/followed, is there an option to list those as well that I'm missing? I've looked around for them everywhere, I believe, but being of the male persuasion, I have acute refrigerator blindness and often miss anything just beyond the tip of my rather disproportioned proboscis XD.

Finally, a step-by-step walkthrough of how to find my old content XD. However, I noticed that all of the content under Topics was only threads that were started by myself, not topics that I subscribed/watched/followed, is there an option to list those as well that I'm missing? I've looked around for them everywhere, I believe, but being of the male persuasion, I have acute refrigerator blindness and often miss anything just beyond the tip of my rather disproportioned proboscis XD.

Click all activity or just go to your starting profile page.

Hellur! Ok so I have a quick question to ask.

I've noticed lately how in certain instances I cannot edit posts the way I would like them to.

E.g. everytime I would like to change the color of the font or its size, it just gives me only the basics (italics, bold, underlined and hyperlink)

Is there any format to use to allow me to change that?

@Kazu

@Meredith

Are you on mobile?  For some reason we haven't been able to resolve yet, most mobile users don't have access to the full amount of formatting buttons currently available.  We're working to fix that, as it isn't really fair to the mobile users.

For example, on desktop, my formatting options look like this:

Capture - Formatting options 21Aug2016.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question concerning the layout and appearance of the RPs.

Since Friday, when I am looking for new RP's, all that shows up are ones that look like they came from the old system. They do not have the handy sub forums, and only have on tab to them. I can't even see the short descriptions while I'm browsing the main page. Is this happening with everyone or just me? Is there a way I can fix it?

Please read the newest update notes in the News section :)

We have brought back the old-style RP for those that don't really need all the resources of the new system, which we have renamed Hosted Projects.  You can find those by scrolling to the bottom of the Roleplays list and clicking on Hosted Projects.  New RPs can be found in any area, however, as we've opened up all the old section to allowing new RPs once more.

Please read the newest update notes in the News section :)

We have brought back the old-style RP for those that don't really need all the resources of the new system, which we have renamed Hosted Projects.  You can find those by scrolling to the bottom of the Roleplays list and clicking on Hosted Projects.  New RPs can be found in any area, however, as we've opened up all the old section to allowing new RPs once more.

You should bring back the tab system then for the thread roleplays. It makes it easier if I want to participate in one.

You should bring back the tab system then for the thread roleplays. It makes it easier if I want to participate in one.

I said this on one of the tutorials, but it can go here too:

Tabs were an unsupported addon in the old system and were about to break, and we couldn't find any devs to work on them under the old software because it was outdated.  We know they were a great convenience, and that it was one of the things RpN had over other RP sites, but it just wasn't happening.  We are looking into finding a replacement, but we have no timeline on that at present.

Are you on mobile?  For some reason we haven't been able to resolve yet, most mobile users don't have access to the full amount of formatting buttons currently available.  We're working to fix that, as it isn't really fair to the mobile users.

For example, on desktop, my formatting options look like this:

View attachment 156930

There is an option in the IPS ACP that allows you to set the buttons of the editor for mobile and desktop (what are displayed)

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 11.39.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 11.39.18 AM.png

It's  under the Customization and then Editor/Toolbar section... the Large/Medium/Small are the viewport options for each associated viewport.

And no, I don't RP, but was checking the conversion out and saw this mentioned.

Okay, so how do I make an rp?!?!? I just really wanted to make a new one because I can't find a good fandom one to join. Please help I was barely getting the hang of the old set up!

Okay, so how do I make an rp?!?!? I just really wanted to make a new one because I can't find a good fandom one to join. Please help I was barely getting the hang of the old set up!

The requirement in order for a user to make a new roleplay is 250 posts at least under the Hosted Project standards, which Kazu has linked a helpful guide for you. 

But if you are referring to a normal roleplay then all you simply do is click on the 'Start New Topic' button on the top of the designated genre. But then you'll also have to create a separate Character Sign-Up topic and OOC topic and link them to the main thread.

@Kazu

Hello everyone! As my title might suggest, I'm here to give you some answers to the questions you've been looking for! That is... if you haven't already found answer to them yet! 

I know many people are bustling here and there trying to grasp just what the heck is going on, but have no fear! I'll try my best to give you what I've hoarded up in my little pea-sized brain. *taps head*

Q: Um... how do I mention users again?

Just type in @Username. I've found that I need to click on the list that the site gives me, and when the name is highlighted, I know that it'll mention them.

Q: Ooh, we can use gifs as our profile pics?

Unfortunately, it seems as though they slow down page loading time, so at the moment they are banned.

Q: My reputation changed?! 

I will be quoting @welian here for the answer:

Q: Wait! Woah! What happened to my followers?!

If you were an ancient user before the big redesign came, unfortunately your little pack of stalkers followers weren't able to follow along on your journey. Quite sorry for the inconvenience if you were a popular person, but you'll just have to catch 'em all again! You can do it! Your faboo will shine once more!

Q: My old status posts... poofed? 

They are still there! Just got some invisible ink put on 'em! You should be able to find your old status messages from the pre-update by going on your profile, clicking "See my activity", and then go look through the tab "All Activity", choose "Status Updates" and ta-da! They should be listed there along with your more recent ones. You should also be able to find your old Topics and Posts listed as well so if you want to start digging, your profile is a great place to start! (If you need more help with this, I made a tutorial with screenshots in the comments!  :) )

Q: Why did the site have to update? 

Thanks to @ApfelSeine, this is their given explanation on the matter:

Q: M-my beautiful BBCode...

*pat* *pat* BBCodes were a fine thing and the people who used it with proficiency are admirable in their efforts. Unfortunately, the program they will be using to run RpNation is no longer compatible with it. The old system of BBCode is outdated (just think of trying to put a 3DS game into a DS Lite - you can't, and if you somehow manage to put the cartridge in... well, you've done broke it), but thankfully the same customization will be made available. It'll take a bit of practice and time, but it's a learning experience, Reader-chan/kun.

Q: Honestly, why release the site so early if it ain't finished yet? 

People want to RP. There were quite a few people anxiously waiting for the site to be back up so they could go right back into their RPs, interact with their fellow RpNationians, and many other things. It is now and it's working. The staff would still be continuing to update and stomp out any bugs that will pop up in the future either way, but it would've been months or maybe even years before things would be thought of as "finished" if they had decided to keep this place down. I would probably have forgotten about the site by then if they were to do that, thanks to my all forgetting memory, and if I hadn't forgotten I would be itching to just give it up and deem the project as dead. Everything definitely needs to be polished, some completed, but it's a functional site and I haven't come across many bugs so far. You just have to be patient~

And thirdly, they need to have it online before they can convert any of the old threads over. 

This is just what I can remember from the top of my head. If you have anymore, feel free to ask below in the comments! 

@Kazu

Why did you update it like this? this site is now incredibly difficult to navigate and the tabs for rps (such as ooc, and character sheets) are no longer on the same page. this site now put alot of strain on my phone and im unable to rp very well. i dont like this update and i understand why yall have to do it but why like this, and i lost ALL my images. my entire gallery of over 700 pictures gone. this is terribly upsetting and i dont think i will rping anymore unless this gets fixed or better because my phone just can't handle this strain.

@Kazu

@Kazu

Why did you update it like this? this site is now incredibly difficult to navigate and the tabs for rps (such as ooc, and character sheets) are no longer on the same page. this site now put alot of strain on my phone and im unable to rp very well. i dont like this update and i understand why yall have to do it but why like this, and i lost ALL my images. my entire gallery of over 700 pictures gone. this is terribly upsetting and i dont think i will rping anymore unless this gets fixed or better because my phone just can't handle this strain.

Kazu's not a moderator, just a helpful user.

Your gallery is intact, just in a different tab on your profile - you can find yours here . None of the images are gone.

An RpN app should be coming out as soon as Dwiz gets a mac to upload one to the apple store (the app will also come on Android).

@Kazu

@Kazu

I'm no staff, so I can't really give an answer to why they chose to switch over to this particular software to use for the website. Many things are messed up though slowly but steadily getting fixed. I do hope you will decide to give this a chance, because I found after the initial shock and a bit of digging around, this site is quite nice in its own quirky ways even with all the downfalls of losing your followers and all that. :)  

@Kazu

@Kazu

Please don't blame Kazu when he had nothing to do with the update, only trying to help fellow users understand it.

There were many reasons we went with this update, not least of which that many of the addons everyone loves were on the edge of breaking because we couldn't get any support from them on the outdated software we had.  Thus, new software, and addons are coming as soon as we can get them.

Please check out the Guide to Surviving the Update (link in Meredith's signature up there) and other tutorials to see what's changed and how to use it.

Hey, not sure if this has been addressed or not,  but what's going on with mobile posting. It's nearly impossible for those of us who use certain features like colored text. Many, many tools are missing. Are we just going to have to wait until the RPN app comes out? Or will something be done about this?

Okay so, I'm really confused on one of the posts in the Role-play Discussion & Advice tab?? So apparently when I click on the staff thread that can help me out... Al I see is: <>

It's like a bbcode and I can't read it.. Do I have to do something or is the staff just a bit whacked right now??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back