Other Comic Drawing Advice?

I had no idea which forum to put this on. If this could be moved to whatever forum it fits in, or kept on here if it doesn't fit anywhere else, that would be great.

So, I'm trying to draw the first page of my new ask comic, but I'm really struggling since I don't have any experience with drawing comics. Does anyone have any advice to make it easy?

Short, quick answer:

Take a look at a comic you like-- preferably a dialogue scene --and take inspo from that panel layout/pacing/etc.

Longer, better answer:

Get copies of Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" and "Making Comics."

Make comics, and keep making comics.

Read comics.

Make more comics.

Repeat.

I am seconding the recommendation for Scott McCloud books. They are the best.

General Advice:

1. Plan your page. Every page (or screen) should be considered as one image in itself. Plan how many panels you are going to need, and what goes into each one, then do some rough sketches to think about how to arrange those panels on the page. Multiple sketches in this stage will really help your final comic look good.

2. Write your dialogue text before drawing the speech bubbles (or even drawing) to make sure you have enough space for the words.

3. Comics and panels read from left -> right, so always have the first speaker on the left of the panel if you can. Action should also travel left -> right.

4. Vary the "shot length" (distance from the subject) and "shot angle" (side, front, back, above, below, etc.) to add interest to your page. Use large panels for important moments. Play with panel sizes.

I can give more specific advice with a more specific question (or showing a WIP).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back