Combat Rp question!

GoblinMrBen

Gold digger
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
<p>

I am having real trouble understand combat Rp, like. Everytime I come up to fight someone (3 people separately really) I would fight in the sense I will give my opponent options on how to go at an action I'm throwing. Example: if I swing my blade at you, I'll allow you to eight dodge the strike, get hit, or be scratched. Yet when I fight someone else, their action will be filled with the intent of killing me. Example: they swing a blade, it's suppose to cause a nukular level slicing blast that would not only cut my character in half but the same time cause me to explode in a million pieces. No chances of dodging, just hit, hit, hit. Is this fair? Because I'm starting to lose the intention of allowing my opponent of a chance to dodge and just make everything I do a one shot one kill kind of deal...and I don't like that, but it's a habit I'm starting to develop. If this is foul play, how do I approach this, these people are the only ones I Rp with..so it's not likely I wanna upset them. More like teach if possible. Or better yet, someone here can teach me. I would really like help in developing my Rp skills and fighting abilities.

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of combat roleplays should be open-ended at the end of a post - that is, usually, instead of giving options there are attempts made.

"As I swing my sword, I attempt to land a solid blow at your shoulder."

That way they have the option to dodge or hit.

You can also use a dice system of some sort to try and determine what hits and what doesn't.

Your partners should be doing the same - if they're not, try to talk to them, just bring it up casually. "So, in most combat roleplays, hitting is determined by the player you're trying to hit.. would you mind trying to do it that way?"

That is total bupkis, Koopo. These users are the type that bother me when it comes to combat-oriented threads. You give them a fair shot while they sort of trample on your olive branch just because they can't stand the idea of losing (this is just based on my experiences in combat-based threads). It's why I tend to talk out fight scenes with users these days. Determining the outcome at the beginning gives me and the user I'm interacting with a lot of free room to write a killer fight scene that has a satisfying ending.

And, as Meredith said, dice is another way to keep things fair as well. Just tossing a simple dice to determine who's gonna win at the beginning opens up to the same dealio I stated above: killer, epic fight scenes.

But, this is just my approach in the matter... I really love combat in threads... >O>;;;

I can be a little different there, for some reason I just like digging into the Rp without any idea talked about, not knowing the real goal unless we creat one together, to keep it all a mystery and the results never calculated

@Koopo if that's your approach I recommend implementing some kind of dice or random number system for combat. For me since I have a hard time figuring out stats I keep it really simple and go with a three outcome system.

Every action you take can either - Succeed / Fail / Draw

A draw is when the action succeeds but their are consequences. Ex. I hit you but then you retaliate before I can move away. Or I throw a snowball at your face but trip when I try to hide behind my shelter. Whatever scenario fits the fight.

A success is just - I swing and I hit my target. A fail is I swing and I miss my target.

So to keep it very simple I use a random number generator of 1 - 9.

1-3 is Fail

4-6 is Draw

7-9 is Succeed.

And yeah that's about it.

It's kind of simplified so for like in depth combat scenarios it doesn't work but if your just looking for something simple to add a little bit of believable uncertainty while still keeping it fair I find it works well enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the thing that upsets me even more than the fact that people think that every hit is infallible is the fact that I acctually give a giant description of how I attacked, where I attacked and even the position of my body during the attack and the failures in the posture to some bastard answer saying that he "dodged to the side and attacked the weak point that I mentioned". Dude, at least fucking say how you dodged and how you attacked, I can't visualize anything if you just say that you dodged without any specific movement mention...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back