Combat in Role Play Advice needed ^^

ShadowCrassodon254

So later on I would like to get into combat in my RPs. But i am not sure how to go about it and I would not want to fall into the category of god modding. Any advice you guys could give me is much appreciated!

The way I prevent God moding is by saying the action. Then say if it is successful blah blah blah. If not, blah blah blah.

E.g. Ethan drove his sword forward, aiming for Shadow's chest. If this attack worked, Ethan would have won. If not, he would be vulnerable to attacks from either side as he lost his balance in the drive.

Depends on context, but generally speaking try and keep it realistic to the situation.

Vs NPCs: describe what they do, how your char responds and to what effect. Against lowly mooks, auto-hit can be in effect so you can massacre them, but to compensate do give them occasions where they put your char at temporary disadvantage or land lucky strikes that cause inconveniencing short-term injuries. If there's a reasonably tough NPC around, make sure you know how your partner feels about the guy and work around that (uninmportant -> can be killed after a flashy duel, important -> spare it somehow).

Vs RP partner: no auto-hits that can immediately subdue them. Describe what your char plans, how your char tries to accomplish it, and let your partner decide it your attemps were successful. To avoid dragging the fight out, discuss OOC what would be favourable outcome.

This usually works for me at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know @welian has a roleplay that has a little combat that she made fairly simple guidelines for.

For me whenever I have a roleplay with a combat situation I offer my partner two options.

Option A: we plot out the outcome of a fight prior to writing it up and just timeskip over it or write out whatever we came up with together. That can be surprisingly more difficult than it sounds as people go back and forth wanting their character to win.

Option B: a simple dice system. @welian had a great one for a simple snowball fight in their roleplay.

basically you start with a grid where all the characters pick a position. then you determine an attack and a defense score. ( how you do that is up to you ). to keep it simple we'll do increments of ten. so in order to attack your opponent you roll a random number from one to ten. if you get a one you miss. if you get a ten you knock your opponent out. if you get a five you only cause a little bit of damage.

now then after you roll your turn your opponent rolls for defense. again one out of ten. so a one would be they don't deflect the attack. a five would be they deflect some of the attack. a ten would be they deflect the full attack. ( this assumes you aren't knocked out by the attack post ).

And then you set a limit to the amount of posts in a fight. Like the fight will only last 6 posts and at the end whoever knocks out or damages their opponent the most wins.

There are always other ways too, but that's my style. And, as this wonderful fellow has stated, mine was an example for PvP.

Now for better details on from the other guys

ShadowCrassodon254 said:
i didnt think there were so many ways of doing combat in RPs thanks for the advice!
I agree. Mostly it's in personal flavor, I (a long term pen and paper roleplayer) prefer dice to be my guide! Though, it also depends on the roleplay group and how the "Lead" wants to run it. I suggest looking into "fate core" as its the most fluid system for "Narrative" roleplays and it leaves decisions truly up to "Fate!"

Though, if you are looking to get into more serious roleplays with commitments- PM me, I am currently working on a book project and am seeking players of all different origins to come and play test the rules! :D - Shameless self advertising!

MeKonster said:
I agree. Mostly it's in personal flavor, I (a long term pen and paper roleplayer) prefer dice to be my guide! Though, it also depends on the roleplay group and how the "Lead" wants to run it. I suggest looking into "fate core" as its the most fluid system for "Narrative" roleplays and it leaves decisions truly up to "Fate!"
Though, if you are looking to get into more serious roleplays with commitments- PM me, I am currently working on a book project and am seeking players of all different origins to come and play test the rules! :D - Shameless self advertising!
Hey that's ok Shameless self advertising is just ballsy enough to work you have acquired my interest good sir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back