• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

ColorBlock Bug Report

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
This thread will be used for reporting bugs and only bugs in regards to the new style.

Just to let you know, my character 'Hammer of the Populat' in the End is Nigh was mostly black text that I couldn't see. I went in and changed the color myself on him to make it show up better, but you wanted to have specific examples. Also, in the game 'Seven Anathama', my character Scorpion has a few paragraphs in her equpment list that is also greyed out. Those are the only problems that I have seen so far.

Sherwood said:
Just to let you know, my character 'Hammer of the Populat' in the End is Nigh was mostly black text that I couldn't see. I went in and changed the color myself on him to make it show up better, but you wanted to have specific examples. Also, in the game 'Seven Anathama', my character Scorpion has a few paragraphs in her equpment list that is also greyed out. Those are the only problems that I have seen so far.
Hmm that seems to caused by the fact that for what ever reason your posts have extra coloring in them, possibly remains from copying in from a document or other source. It just became apparent the moment we changed the background, but its something we've known about for a very long time, we just tried really hard to mask those issues.

That is more Xenforo's editor's fault which I've already complained about for the past 2 years on their site and been trying to get it into the next major version of their software.

I MIGHT be able to do something about it site wide but very unlikely.

The best I can say at the moment is that when you paste in from something else to switch the editor into bbcode mode and then the problem does not get created in the first person.

Thank you for your report and I have added to my list, I will try to do something about it again :) !

Not a problem. Everything else is looking good, and I wouldn't have brought it up except you guys did mention you wanted specific examples of the grey out problem.

Well, it isn't exactly a bug, but you told me to go ahead and post it here, TDW, so yeah.

Light text on dark backgrounds is usually regarded as bad for eye strain and general physical discomfort, especially when dealing with long-form, paragraphical text. I, personally, can't really browse the new site for more than a few minutes at a time without developing a pounding headache. (That may be from either my astigmatism or color-blindness, but seeing as I'm tritanopic, probably not). From what I've read regarding graphic design and the like, either a high contrast light background with dark text, or less contrast between the current background and the text would probably improve complaints of strain night and day.

I'm really sorry that people have been super-immature to you guys over this. There was obviously a ton of work put into this update, and I think the color blocks look really cool and sleek. I also do like the new, darker background a lot, but again, that, combined with the text, makes reading things at length extremely difficult, which, seeing as this is an RP site, is sort of problematic.

Again, like I said, not really a bug, but Dark did ask me to post this here when I approached him about it, so there it is.

The bug report I have, however, is that hyperlinks that have been clicked on change color until they are almost indistinguishable from the background, at least for me.

Sherwood said:
Not a problem. Everything else is looking good, and I wouldn't have brought it up except you guys did mention you wanted specific examples of the grey out problem.
Yeah!

If we can find where it is actually happening since it is not any where, I might be able to fix it. To be honest it is not really Xenforo's fault either, the fault lies in the editor they picked to stick in their software. It is one of the worst ones on the market, we work really hard to try to mask all of it's posting faults <_<....but it really is a nightmare for a site which focuses on heavy writing and long posts.

Perhaps something over all can be done to the color of the font instead of removing the dark background, it is certianly much easier then redesigning everything. .

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Perhaps something over all can be done to the color of the font instead of removing the dark background, it is certianly much easier then redesigning everything. .

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, honestly, that would probably be better. Maybe darkening it a little would help. This, for example, is a lot more soothing. Or this.

A little darker, but bright enough for it to stand out against the background. I like it.

White is an improvement. I still would appreciate alternative color styles for the whole site (background + text). It can't be that hard to implement, right?

Actually....

*thinks*

The brighter color (White?) is better than the original gray to read. (With that said the original color just looks nifty to me, but does make reading things a little difficult after awhile.

[QUOTE="MaHaSuchi's700]White is an improvement. I still would appreciate alternative color styles for the whole site (background + text). It can't be that hard to implement, right?

[/QUOTE]
That is not happening for a good while until this one is fixed.

Implementing something like that is extremely difficult because it is really hard to make it safe and not revert every time you change, the previous one we owned was not made by us in that regard.

Sorry for the confusion. I was saying that I like it currently, being dark enough to read well but bright enough to see against the background.

Yeah, I remembered it reverting from time to time but it never seemed to be to big of a deal. This just isn't as easy on my eyes, so it's a little frustrating. That said, I understand the need to work out the kinks before you implement any alternative schemes. I can be patient, but I hope things can be worked out relatively soon.

How about now? It is not completely white so it doesn't blind but it is way brighter.

Small thing, maybe not a bug: I'll post a pic when I get home, but when I drop down the alerts list the links in the text are nearly too dark to read if you aren't hovering over, but if you do hover over the normal text is hard to read. xD

[QUOTE="Unbridled Originality]Yeah, honestly, that would probably be better. Maybe darkening it a little would help. This, for example, is a lot more soothing. Or this.

[/QUOTE]
I'm having similar problems.

The darker grey is much easier on the eye; white or really pale grey on dark makes things really difficult to read for any length of time.

Alexandra said:
I'm having similar problems.
The darker grey is much easier on the eye; white or really pale grey on dark makes things really difficult to read for any length of time.
This ultimately comes down to personal taste because some people will preach the white I just put in and then the darker grey.

I want to see what more people say first though.

Darker or lighter?

Oh, another not quite a bug thing, but a potential future feature... (and I've no idea how hard it would be to do this...)

Currently we compose posts black on white but then the final is white-ish on black. My suggestion would be to have the preview button available without jumping through to more options so we can see the way it is going to look before we post it, or perhaps change the color scheme for the composition box so things are representative? I'm not sure which would be better overall.

Feantari said:
Oh, another not quite a bug thing, but a potential future feature... (and I've no idea how hard it would be to do this...)
Currently we compose posts black on white but then the final is white-ish on black. My suggestion would be to have the preview button available without jumping through to more options so we can see the way it is going to look before we post it, or perhaps change the color scheme for the composition box so things are representative? I'm not sure which would be better overall.
Do you prefer the darker font color or the lighter?

Darker feels a lot easier on my eyes.

What if it was even darker. This is super easy on the eyes...

Is this too dark? Yes this is too dark...

I don't mind the bright much though, just speculating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back