• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

ColorBlock Bug Report

It seems that darker gives people headaches, completely confused. You guys want dark or light :( .

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]This ultimately comes down to personal taste because some people will preach the white I just put in and then the darker grey.
I want to see what more people say first though.

Darker or lighter?

[/QUOTE]
It's not my personal taste; colour is just colour after all, and I actually really like black/white/gray combinations. It's more that I am having trouble seeing the posts after a while because pale grey and white shimmer and glare against the dark background, making reading really difficult.

Unbridled Originality and Feantari posted two darker greys as text options, and they are much less painful to read; so darker text would be my chosen option.

Alexandra said:
It's not my personal taste; colour is just colour after all, and I actually really like black/white/gray combinations. It's more that I am having trouble seeing the posts after a while because pale grey and white shimmer and glare against the dark background, making reading really difficult.
Unbridled Originality and Feantari posted two darker greys as text options, and they are much less painful to read; so darker text would be my chosen option.
How about now?

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]How about now?

[/QUOTE]
That one's pretty good; just a touch darker than the original :)

Imma go look at some walls of text and see how easy they are to read.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]How about now?

[/QUOTE]
This one feels smoooth when reading. Doesn't have the glare-y feeling the brighter colors do. I'm curious what others are thinking though since my opinion isn't a strong one.

Feantari said:
This one feels smoooth when reading. Doesn't have the glare-y feeling the brighter colors do. I'm curious what others are thinking though since my opinion isn't a strong one.
If we have to have light text on a dark background, then the current grey is good.

I am super in favour of it; it makes reading much smoother...

Hiyo. I'm sorry to hear that you received personal insults earlier.

Just transferring some of the comments I made in the other thread. Again, not page-breaking bugs as much as style tweaks.

1. Bebas Neue (the font used for forum names on the home page and our usernames in posts) is hard to read. Maybe the font Impact will do what you want?

2. It'd be nice to be able to click on the blocks (and not just the title link) to get to the forum. I turned up a search regarding click events on divs earlier (it was for work).

3. Not said by me, but regarding the light text on dark bg: I think switching to a sans serif for the posts might help too. (I see there's already color tweaking on that going.)

Feantari: There's a preview option if you click on "More Options..." (Agreed that one less click would be nice though.)

Cirno said:
Hiyo. I'm sorry to hear that you received personal insults earlier.
Just transferring some of the comments I made in the other thread. Again, not page-breaking bugs as much as style tweaks.

1. Bebas Neue (the font used for forum names on the home page and our usernames in posts) is hard to read. Maybe the font Impact will do what you want?

2. It'd be nice to be able to click on the blocks (and not just the title link) to get to the forum. I turned up a search regarding click events on divs earlier (it was for work).

3. Not said by me, but regarding the light text on dark bg: I think switching to a sans serif for the posts might help too. (I see there's already color tweaking on that going.)

Feantari: There's a preview option if you click on "More Options..." (Agreed that one less click would be nice though.)
You can already click on blocks and it takes you in O.o .....It does for me on all my browsers, you sure you don't have something disabled?

Also the dark gray that Feantari picked that I set looks visually good, but I don't know, doesn't it seem kind of depressing?

Cirno said:
<snip>

I think just increasing the tracking on Bebas Neue could work. I've used Impact before, and it has similar "squishing" issues.

And yes; I too would love a san serif typeface for large pieces of copy; not only would it increase legibility, picking one that has a good bold and italic version means people can still have the dialogue and highlighting options they like to implement in their threads. It would also match the san serif of the rest of the site.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]<snip>
Also the dark gray that Feantari picked that I set looks visually good, but I don't know, doesn't it seem kind of depressing?

[/QUOTE]
It may be quite dark, but this is probably the only way light text on a dark background is going to work without actively impeding reading :(

Alexandra said:
I think just increasing the tracking on Bebas Neue could work. I've used Impact before, and it has similar "squishing" issues.
And yes; I too would love a san serif typeface for large pieces of copy; not only would it increase legibility, picking one that has a good bold and italic version means people can still have the dialogue and highlighting options they like to implement in their threads. It would also match the san serif of the rest of the site.

It may be quite dark, but this is probably the only way light text on a dark background is going to work without actively impeding reading :(
So you dislike the "White" I used earlier?

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]So you dislike the "White" I used earlier?

[/QUOTE]
Oh yes, anything brighter than this text gets painful to read really quickly, especially with multiple paragraphs. There's also a weird after-burn, with letters swimming in my vision temporarily after looking away from the screen.

I have a bit of a problem with darker colors just on the background really. Not the text color it self but background...

No real problem with the font color or brightness but more so with the darkness of the background. Cant see dark colors vary well; like this It just seems to blend in to the background for me.

Well Im just blind so never-mind

Metro look...? Who the Windows 8 lover?

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Tweaked it just a bit and made it a little brighter.

[/QUOTE]
I think this shade of text will work, if you guys have to keep a dark background.

Have you considered changing the serif typeface, though? Something san serif could really increase legibility.

SansSerif-examp.jpg

These are some of the more widely used examples. I'm personally quite fond of those like Univers and Avenir, though I reckon Avenir may take up too much space, being based off Helvetica...

AdrianFrutiger-UniversStd-1957.gif

avenir.jpg

Just to put my two cents in: I like the color currently in use. It's bright enough to read easily, but not glaring like the various shades of white. I am able to read the posts without straining. Thank you for thinking of the small details as well as the large ones, guys!!!

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]You can already click on blocks and it takes you in O.o .....It does for me on all my browsers, you sure you don't have something disabled?

[/QUOTE]
Clicking on part where just the banner is (instead of the title link) in the block is not working for me in Chrome or Firefox. I have Ad Blocker Plus disabled. JavaScript's enabled. Not sure what it could be.

Cirno said:
Clicking on part where just the banner is (instead of the title link) in the block is not working for me in Chrome or Firefox. I have Ad Blocker Plus disabled. JavaScript's enabled. Not sure what it could be.
Have you tried double-clicking? I have to double-click the banner on the boxes, for them to take me anywhere. :eek:

---

Also the dark default color looks much better and is easier on the eyes, than the lighter one. Though it'd still be nice to see something done about making dark colors more visible.

And I just noticed this, don't know if anyone else has pointed it out yet, so I might as well;

jts080.jpg

[QUOTE="Laréo Vi Finlandia]Have you tried double-clicking? I have to double-click the banner on the boxes, for them to take me anywhere. :eek:

[/QUOTE]
Whoa, it worked. Thanks.

Double-clicking in a website's kinda weird though.

Cirno said:
Whoa, it worked. Thanks.
Double-clicking in a website's kinda weird though.
Heh no problem!

And yeah it kinda is.. though I would think it's not intended that you have to double click it? Especially since it seems to be random (for me at least), sometimes a single click works, some times I have to double-click and other times, the banners won't work at all! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back