Clothing for a Shapeshifter

MrMopp

Two Thousand Club
I have a character who can transform into a hybrid Wolf/Gizly bear hybrid. She can transform at will and frequently does so (quadrupedal by the way. Her animal form doesn't have thumbs, can't talk, and while she can stand up on her hind legs, she can't walk like that). 

The problem is that her animal form is HUGE and she expands in all directions when she transforms. Any article of clothing she wears would get destroyed in the process. This has happened in public in a few rpgs ive put her in and I can't think of a good way to keep her modest (she's 17 for crying out loud.) Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's probably ok in a story, but she can't talk to the other characters or perform any thumb required tasks until she shifts, and then she'd have to hide behind a bush to do it. It's just a little inconvenience, but she's been a lycanthrope since birth so you'd think she'd have figured a way around it by now.

To be honestly, its NOT necessary, but Its useful enough, and I thought it would be interesting to figure out. 

Some information on the setting would help.  For pure fantasy, some form of illusionary clothing?  For science fiction: some type of stretchy fabric that has an expensive sounding name?  Or spandex.  Yellow spandex. 

Maybe really baggy clothes, couple of sizes too big or a big dress. She could always accessorise with a belt or necklace so it doesn't look that odd. 

An oversized cape with a couple of large pockets in its lining.  The cape stays intact whenever she transforms, and the pockets hold a change of clothes.  When she shifts back to human form she wraps up tight (nudity solved), and then deftly changes into her new outfit.

You're welcome.  B|

I think you misunderstood. My thought is if the character is modest and can transform at will they are likely not going to put themselves in situations where nudity is going to be an issue.

I'm modest. And I sure as hell wouldn't walk around naked if I had a choice.

Instead I would just remain as the bear until I got into a situation where I could change clothes in peace.

Now that is of course dependent on what kind of situation she is in. If your thinking she's going to be in a constantly moving state than having her bring her own spare set of clothes along makes sense. If she's just going to remain in a stationry place than just have her stay a bear until she can like wander back into her room or whatever and change.

If she's moving I would go with the tried and true shifter method of wearing a satchel around her neck. You can get those tiny purses with the over-sized straps that should fit around her neck in both human and animal form. Then just have her put a small sundress, maybe a pair of underwear in said satchel. Boom instant change of clothes.

Make clothes of her own hair, they count as parts of her body and transform with her. It seems like a half-reasonable explanation to me that could be accepted by some.

Make clothes of her own hair, they count as parts of her body and transform with her. It seems like a half-reasonable explanation to me that could be accepted by some.

I was thinking this

Or have her wear something similar to the battle armor from Dragon Ball Z that stretches with her size.

Maybe have armor that's made up in sections and held together with stretchable straps.

Some information on the setting would help.  For pure fantasy, some form of illusionary clothing?  For science fiction: some type of stretchy fabric that has an expensive sounding name?  Or spandex.  Yellow spandex. 

Yes, like banana asked; more information about the setting, please ~
If there's a lot of magic in the setting, or a sci-fi scenario, it should be possible to have enchanted/illusory/holographic clothing.

I had a selkie character once, but she didn't care about nudity due to spending so much time in animal form; she didn't see what the problem was, and given that it was a celtic myth game it wasn't often an issue. The rest of the RP party would cover her up though; someone would always carry a spare shift for her to put on after she changed.

Well, she's pretty flexible, time period wise.  The setting would be anywhere between medieval and modern fantasy.

if it happens to be fantasy of any stripe. you could use illusion magic to cover her nude form. Lycanthropes make great Shamans and as a Shaman, she could disguise her nude form as a clothed one, and access the power of nature spirits. a fox Spirit oughtta be the Totem Trickster for Disguise.

I have a character who can transform into a hybrid Wolf/Gizly bear hybrid. She can transform at will and frequently does so (quadrupedal by the way. Her animal form doesn't have thumbs, can't talk, and while she can stand up on her hind legs, she can't walk like that). 

The problem is that her animal form is HUGE and she expands in all directions when she transforms. Any article of clothing she wears would get destroyed in the process. This has happened in public in a few rpgs ive put her in and I can't think of a good way to keep her modest (she's 17 for crying out loud.) Any ideas?

Have her hide before changing. Make her take off her clothes and stash them somewhere hidden but accessible. Her transformations will just have to be done in secret. She'll have to put on/take off her clothes before and after each shapeshift. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back