Other Closed

I don’t generally link characters to specific roleplays. I base mine mostly on people I know IRL or I play canons.

That said there had been some major infighting in the family lately but I don’t think I would stop writing characters based on my aunts because of it. I just might write those characters differently than I used to.

** when I say based on I usually just borrow personality and a few points of backstory depending on the setting **

I’ve had several and I try to refurbish them to lessen the painful impact of their original design and creation.

What do you guys think?
So much yes.
There are some that I can’t even look at in the same way anymore. It’s depressing, especially after years long roleplays, like losing a good friend.

No because I don't typically reuse characters. I'll create new characters every time I RP, even if they're similar to previous ones.

As specific as this topic is...yes I do. Depending on how attached I am, I'll try to refurbish them to something more general. More often than not though, I have left them to rot in a Google doc just because they are too tailored to the RP (and sometimes the person in question).

Nope. I never reuse characters and have tons of OCs I don’t bother to keep track of. I’ll typically make a new character for every RP I’m in. I’ve probably only reused one of my characters in two RPs once.

I’ve learned curiously that I’m in the minority in this I think? Like a lot of people will use the same OC for all of their RPs. I am someone who just has to have a new character to play as in each of my RPs.

Yes, But that isn't to say:

i-never-look-back-d%C3%A0rling.it-distracts-from-the-now..gif

(Though this is a manta many more people, including myself, should subscribe to)

More so that every character I use is over if not nearly a decade old (my newest characters ARE AT LEAST six years old if not a tad older), and even though most of my characters were in their infancy when I still HAD these ex-friends I don't associate them with those old RPs or friends at all.

Why should I?

If they didn't care enough about me to stay in my life why should I lose perfectly good characters I liked because of them?

That's giving them way more leverage and thought than they deserve and that's doing both myself and my characters a disservice to NOT revamp and reuse them into other RP's with newer, (and most likely) BETTER people.

I enjoy tweaking and reworking my character's backstories and actions for every RP in general, so I'm not saying you have to reuse every single character every single time, but I AM saying if these people left you behind, do the same to them and don't throw away a character you really enjoyed for THEIR sake.

You deserve to look forward.

Last edited:
There's this guy that loved to use a vampire as his avatar wherever he played. I used to put him as a npc and die in comical ways because that's the vibe that guy shared with us; he felt a bit more patethic to me, but still.

Nope. I never reuse characters and have tons of OCs I don’t bother to keep track of. I’ll typically make a new character for every RP I’m in. I’ve probably only reused one of my characters in two RPs once.

I’ve learned curiously that I’m in the minority in this I think? Like a lot of people will use the same OC for all of their RPs. I am someone who just has to have a new character to play as in each of my RPs.
Seems so. I do it too since half the fun of RP for me is creating characters. I tend to be a pretty character driven writer with the plot developing over the course of the story. I rarely pre-plot beyond a basic premise and it seems most players like to plot out most of their story in advance. I don't do that nor do I particularly enjoy it. For me the characters need to be the ones driving the story and steering it in a specific direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back