Idea Click Here for Free Cookies!! --> (please halp I need your opinions)

PandorasBox101

A cold hearted bastard
Yes, that's the title. I lied about the cookies.​
Basically, I have this idea for an RP that takes place on a planet where the stratosphere isn't air, instead it's water. Don't ask the science behind this because fuck that, just make up your own reason why it works. Or explain to me why this wouldn't work, just keep in mind this is obviously fiction. If fiction can have dolphins thanking us for free fish before leaping into outer space, fiction can have planets with water in the stratosphere.

Now that I think about this, I hate it, but I'm gonna roll with it.

Obviously, there is going to be a lot of mythical creatures, and I'm exempting humans from this world... Okay, maybe not, I haven't decided yet. But the point is, when I say fictional world I go full fictional world, and I want to create a world where the oceans are in the sky. Mind you , I thought of this idea while driving home from IKEA one day while I was extremely tired, so cut me some slack.

The basis of the RP itself is the species living on the planet itself struggling to survive in fear of the giant creatures that swim just above them in the water and threaten their everyday lives.

Yes, it's shit. Yes, it's sounds stupid. No, I probably won't ever finish it. But will I try to write it regardless of what feedback I get? Probably not, but I might.

The idea isn't bad, but it's only worldbuilding thus far. I recommend that you do the following:

1. Worldbuild the world thoroughly and figure if any interesting plot emerges as a result. If none does, keep that world as a reserve or just as a curiosity.
2. If a plot idea does come up, make a roleplay about that plot, with this idea as the setting.

The idea isn't bad at all, simplistic though it might be. It'll depend on your creativity, dedication and method of execution whether it becomes a genial work or whether if falls flat as nothing more than a shower thought. As it stands, it is at least interesting as a thought experiment that I would say is worth persuing.

Edit: Also, I shall get me own cookies!

tenor.gif

The idea isn't bad, but it's only worldbuilding thus far. I recommend that you do the following:

1. Worldbuild the world thoroughly and figure if any interesting plot emerges as a result. If none does, keep that world as a reserve or just as a curiosity.
2. If a plot idea does come up, make a roleplay about that plot, with this idea as the setting.

The idea isn't bad at all, simplistic though it might be. It'll depend on your creativity, dedication and method of execution whether it becomes a genial work or whether if falls flat as nothing more than a shower thought. As it stands, it is at least interesting as a thought experiment that I would say is worth persuing.

Edit: Also, I shall get me own cookies!

tenor.gif
Nooo, you've found my secret stash of cookies!!! Oh, well... I have too many anyways. What's a box gonna do with cookies? Yeah, right now it's in the world building stages, however I am coming up with a story. I have a fear of the ocean and I know that a lot of other people do too, so this idea is like taking that fear and turning it into something that is even more understandable than it already is. Like I've said, the story is going to be a civilization trying to live in peace while trying to fight back and live under the creatures that live in the sky-ocean-thing, of which constantly are attacking the small villages below. You know how our oceans are still very unexplored? Basically, this ocean has not ever been explored because, of course, they can't exactly reach it. Sorry about writing an entire novel, I'm just hoping to turn this into an actual thing and I'm super excited.

What's a box gonna do with cookies? Yeah, right now it's in the world building stages, however I am coming up with a story. I have a fear of the ocean and I know that a lot of other people do too, so this idea is like taking that fear and turning it into something that is even more understandable than it already is. Like I've said, the story is going to be a civilization trying to live in peace while trying to fight back and live under the creatures that live in the sky-ocean-thing, of which constantly are attacking the small villages below. You know how our oceans are still very unexplored? Basically, this ocean has not ever been explored because, of course, they can't exactly reach it. Sorry about writing an entire novel, I'm just hoping to turn this into an actual thing and I'm super excited.

A novel? Don't worry about it, it's not much at all.

In any case, that plot is pretty wide and explorational. For this kind of setting I don't recommend that. If recommend focusing on something smaller scale for the actual plot, like maybe a particular settlement of defenders.

A novel? Don't worry about it, it's not much at all.

In any case, that plot is pretty wide and explorational. For this kind of setting I don't recommend that. If recommend focusing on something smaller scale for the actual plot, like maybe a particular settlement of defenders.
Of course! Yeah, I'm still working out the kinks, and focusing on an entire civilization is probably too much. But I also want it to be a role play without a set amount of people so that anyone can join. I feel like if I focus too much on one small village, it may end up being a role play that only allows a few people to join. So, would you say maybe two/three different villages--maybe they're against each other but have to try and cooperate during the ocean creature's attacks--so that way I can have an almost constant open role play for people to join? And in that way, there is more than one conflict so the story isn't always boring.

Of course! Yeah, I'm still working out the kinks, and focusing on an entire civilization is probably too much. But I also want it to be a role play without a set amount of people so that anyone can join. I feel like if I focus too much on one small village, it may end up being a role play that only allows a few people to join. So, would you say maybe two/three different villages--maybe they're against each other but have to try and cooperate during the ocean creature's attacks--so that way I can have an almost constant open role play for people to join? And in that way, there is more than one conflict so the story isn't always boring.
Hmmmm.... you really are set on sandboxing this I see.

Wanting a wide range of people

Wanting to cycle through players

Going into the project largely without a plan

Well, it is a method. Of course though, the way you seem to want to go about this is really reliant on how much the players themselves want to explore the intricacies of your idea. In which case, I recommend giving them, since you seem unwilling to make more restrictive moves, your full support by allowing high character freedom and focusing your efforts as GM to integrate the characters into the setting and plot as best as possible, rather than focusing on a very developed plot or setting.

Hmmmm.... you really are set on sandboxing this I see.

Wanting a wide range of people

Wanting to cycle through players

Going into the project largely without a plan

Well, it is a method. Of course though, the way you seem to want to go about this is really reliant on how much the players themselves want to explore the intricacies of your idea. In which case, I recommend giving them, since you seem unwilling to make more restrictive moves, your full support by allowing high character freedom and focusing your efforts as GM to integrate the characters into the setting and plot as best as possible, rather than focusing on a very developed plot or setting.
Well, I would like a well rounded plot, but I would also like there to be very few restrictions by means of how many people can join the RP. I know there probably is a method to this madness, I'll just need to figure it out somewhere down the road. I appreciate your advice, by the way! I know there have to be some restrictions, but I know how sucky it is to be really interested in an RP (not that anyone would really be interested in mine) and not be able to join it... then again, I pretty much just obliterated that point because it's true; it's hard to really catch the interest of anyone when there's people out there with way better ideas. So I suppose restrictions would be smart...but my only problem is, I'm not one for a lot of restrictions. I think my problem is I like to write, but I like to write whole worlds with histories and multiple species and civilizations. I feel like if I could write a role play where anyone can join, it would have to be majorly based on them traveling. But I've actually lost my train of thought. This is why I never get anything done, isn't it?

Well, I would like a well rounded plot, but I would also like there to be very few restrictions by means of how many people can join the RP. I know there probably is a method to this madness, I'll just need to figure it out somewhere down the road. I appreciate your advice, by the way! I know there have to be some restrictions, but I know how sucky it is to be really interested in an RP (not that anyone would really be interested in mine) and not be able to join it... then again, I pretty much just obliterated that point because it's true; it's hard to really catch the interest of anyone when there's people out there with way better ideas. So I suppose restrictions would be smart...but my only problem is, I'm not one for a lot of restrictions. I think my problem is I like to write, but I like to write whole worlds with histories and multiple species and civilizations. I feel like if I could write a role play where anyone can join, it would have to be majorly based on them traveling. But I've actually lost my train of thought. This is why I never get anything done, isn't it?
Actually--I'd like to ask your opinion--what is your ideal RP? Like, if you're looking to role play fantasy, what are you looking for? I think opinions may help me write this thing, and I would be very delighted to hear what you think would be absolutely best. I myself am not good at being straightforward, so this seems like my only good idea.

Actually--I'd like to ask your opinion--what is your ideal RP? Like, if you're looking to role play fantasy, what are you looking for? I think opinions may help me write this thing, and I would be very delighted to hear what you think would be absolutely best. I myself am not good at being straightforward, so this seems like my only good idea.
Also, I'm so so sorry if I'm wasting your time. I'd just like to make sure people would actually be interested in my ideas, even if they are a bit...out of bounds, so to speak. I think I'd be better just writing ridiculously shit-post like material.

Well, you're mistaken there. It's actually not that hard to sell ideas to people just because there are better ideas out there. It's hard if you don't know how to sell them well in the first place. And that's kind of my main point. You have to pick your target audience.

As you aknowledged, not everyone is going to be interested in what you have to offer. And regardless of how many you try to please, I guarantee you the majority will still be out. So whether or not you add restrictions, some people will not want in, so you can have or not have restrictions, and it's really not worse or better for it, just aimed at different people with different goals.

For instance, lets say you add a post requirement of 2 paragraphs minimum. Now, everyone who doesn't think they can post at least 2 paragraphs every post will not want to join. On the other hand, people who do habitually post at least that much will be excited to get people who can actually return their time and effort and be more inclined to join. As a rule of thumb (in reality a lot of people have little foresight when it comes to sustainability, but I think this should nonetheless work as a token example).

So, lets say you restrict the number of players. Doing so means you have time to dedicate to each player, as well as to guide those players into your world. People will not be inherently interested in your work regardless of what it may be, so you do need to take this time if you want to properly hav them explore your creations and have fun doing it.

On the other hand, if you don't restrict the number of players, those players will never come to your roleplay and find an invisble wall. BUT you will not be able to catter to them or involve them in the same way. You will likely end up falling into a cycle of recycling players like many simple roleplays do, where players come and go as they please. This isn't necessarily bad, as it is precisely how simple roleplay manage to outlast the majority of other RPs. However, it means you will have to open things to have them create and them populate your world, with very little actual influence from your own worldbuilding.

Similarly, dispersing the story means you'll end up with chaos or with slice of life. You cannot have a linear story without making that linear story either A, something which you have full control of (AKA writing a book) or B having the scale of the adventure be small enough that players have a reason to actually follow the same story direction.

I have to admit, I am struggling to advise more for one simple reason: This isn't about a better or worse way. This is just a "you have to make a decision about what kind of roleplay you want". If you want one thing, you'll have to give up others.

So, I attempted to write an answer to this, but the more I tried to, the more I realized this isn't really a question I can answer very well. I can tell you I look for high detail, for RPs that allow me to use my own style, and that I am unnusually analytical about the way you phrase things. I look for roleplays with a relative anime inspiration and for roleplays with good worldbuilding. Theere is a lot I could say and keep saying, but in the end of the day, most things can be discarded depending on the roleplay and person running it. So if we were to discuss this, I feel as though it'd be best to do it directly.

That said, so I don't leave you empty-handed, I'll shamelessly advertise a little. For one, I am starting (or better put, rebooting) a worldbuilding-focused group on discord. The thread can be found on this very same subforum. If you'd like more feedback to your world, as well as discuss with others and view their own worldbuilding projects, feel free to join us.

The other thing is, in my signature is a guide on writing a good interest check. Like the group, feel free to check it out.

Also, I'm so so sorry if I'm wasting your time. I'd just like to make sure people would actually be interested in my ideas, even if they are a bit...out of bounds, so to speak. I think I'd be better just writing ridiculously shit-post like material.
You're asking me questions. If I thought it such a massive waste of time, I wouldn't be answering them or I'd tell you that to your face. So don't worry buddy :)

Well, you're mistaken there. It's actually not that hard to sell ideas to people just because there are better ideas out there. It's hard if you don't know how to sell them well in the first place. And that's kind of my main point. You have to pick your target audience.

As you aknowledged, not everyone is going to be interested in what you have to offer. And regardless of how many you try to please, I guarantee you the majority will still be out. So whether or not you add restrictions, some people will not want in, so you can have or not have restrictions, and it's really not worse or better for it, just aimed at different people with different goals.

For instance, lets say you add a post requirement of 2 paragraphs minimum. Now, everyone who doesn't think they can post at least 2 paragraphs every post will not want to join. On the other hand, people who do habitually post at least that much will be excited to get people who can actually return their time and effort and be more inclined to join. As a rule of thumb (in reality a lot of people have little foresight when it comes to sustainability, but I think this should nonetheless work as a token example).

So, lets say you restrict the number of players. Doing so means you have time to dedicate to each player, as well as to guide those players into your world. People will not be inherently interested in your work regardless of what it may be, so you do need to take this time if you want to properly hav them explore your creations and have fun doing it.

On the other hand, if you don't restrict the number of players, those players will never come to your roleplay and find an invisble wall. BUT you will not be able to catter to them or involve them in the same way. You will likely end up falling into a cycle of recycling players like many simple roleplays do, where players come and go as they please. This isn't necessarily bad, as it is precisely how simple roleplay manage to outlast the majority of other RPs. However, it means you will have to open things to have them create and them populate your world, with very little actual influence from your own worldbuilding.

Similarly, dispersing the story means you'll end up with chaos or with slice of life. You cannot have a linear story without making that linear story either A, something which you have full control of (AKA writing a book) or B having the scale of the adventure be small enough that players have a reason to actually follow the same story direction.

I have to admit, I am struggling to advise more for one simple reason: This isn't about a better or worse way. This is just a "you have to make a decision about what kind of roleplay you want". If you want one thing, you'll have to give up others.

So, I attempted to write an answer to this, but the more I tried to, the more I realized this isn't really a question I can answer very well. I can tell you I look for high detail, for RPs that allow me to use my own style, and that I am unnusually analytical about the way you phrase things. I look for roleplays with a relative anime inspiration and for roleplays with good worldbuilding. Theere is a lot I could say and keep saying, but in the end of the day, most things can be discarded depending on the roleplay and person running it. So if we were to discuss this, I feel as though it'd be best to do it directly.

That said, so I don't leave you empty-handed, I'll shamelessly advertise a little. For one, I am starting (or better put, rebooting) a worldbuilding-focused group on discord. The thread can be found on this very same subforum. If you'd like more feedback to your world, as well as discuss with others and view their own worldbuilding projects, feel free to join us.

The other thing is, in my signature is a guide on writing a good interest check. Like the group, feel free to check it out.

You're asking me questions. If I thought it such a massive waste of time, I wouldn't be answering them or I'd tell you that to your face. So don't worry buddy :)
Yes, I apologize greatly for how I word things. It actually reflects how I talk in real life. I have quite a bit of trouble while speaking to people when say more than a couple words, but trust me my writing is better than my actual speaking. And thank you so much for your help, I might actually scrap this idea in favor of a different one. I think I've come up with a method on how to write things.

I might jot down a list of ideas on paper and try to organize them how I see fit and ask for advice.

I actually greatly appreciate your feedback on this stuff, and I'll check out the links in your signature as well! Thank you so much!

Yes, I apologize greatly for how I word things. It actually reflects how I talk in real life. I have quite a bit of trouble while speaking to people when say more than a couple words, but trust me my writing is better than my actual speaking. And thank you so much for your help, I might actually scrap this idea in favor of a different one. I think I've come up with a method on how to write things.

I might jot down a list of ideas on paper and try to organize them how I see fit and ask for advice.

I actually greatly appreciate your feedback on this stuff, and I'll check out the links in your signature as well! Thank you so much!
And I also agree with a lot of your advice. My problem is I get overly excited about my ideas and I just want to get them out there, but I don't know how to do it exactly how I envision it. So I think I will take your advice and put it to good use when i think up other ideas. Also, I've never talked to a person who so kindly explained to me everything wrong! I've never had experience with any bad ones, but I've just got to say, you're pretty mature with this stuff and I respect that greatly. Once again, I thank you for your time and I'll take this stuff to heart.

You needn't apologize, there's nothing wrong with speaking in a certain way. Truth be told, I myself am not akways the best at expressing myself either.

And I also agree with a lot of your advice. My problem is I get overly excited about my ideas and I just want to get them out there, but I don't know how to do it exactly how I envision it. So I think I will take your advice and put it to good use when i think up other ideas. Also, I've never talked to a person who so kindly explained to me everything wrong! I've never had experience with any bad ones, but I've just got to say, you're pretty mature with this stuff and I respect that greatly. Once again, I thank you for your time and I'll take this stuff to heart.

Rule of thumb- 3 weeks. Spend 3 weeks after you've come up with an idea before actually trying it out. If you're still excited past the three weeks, it's an idea you can sustain. Otherwise, it may just be the novelty of it that generates the hype.

Regardless, you're most welcome :) And thank you for the kind words of praise as well. Though, if I may, I didn't explain "what was wrong" per se. I just pointed out the directions you might want to focus on or work in.

Best of luck! Feel free to hit me up if ya need anything else <3

You needn't apologize, there's nothing wrong with speaking in a certain way. Truth be told, I myself am not akways the best at expressing myself either.

Rule of thumb- 3 weeks. Spend 3 weeks after you've come up with an idea before actually trying it out. If you're still excited past the three weeks, it's an idea you can sustain. Otherwise, it may just be the novelty of it that generates the hype.

Regardless, you're most welcome :) And thank you for the kind words of praise as well. Though, if I may, I didn't explain "what was wrong" per se. I just pointed out the directions you might want to focus on or work in.

Best of luck! Feel free to hit me up if ya need anything else <3
Thank you, and you'll definitely be the first person I notify once I've come up with something, if that's alright. And that three weeks thing sounds like a great idea! I'll try it out, and see if it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back