• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy City of Salem {ded}

Caffeine Freak

Two Thousand Club
Salem is a sprawling city with a plethora of opportunities and a vibrant night life. It's where people come from all around the world to really make something of themselves. What's more, is that the city has an astounding low crime rate - the lowest in the world.

Not everything is all lilacs and gooseberries in Salem, however. The low crime rate is a conspiracy conducted by the city mayor who suppresses crime reports. In actuality, a series of unnatural disappearances and deaths occur from corrupted monsters who seep in from the bordering forest and take the forms of humans.

Unbeknownst to the general population, Salem houses residents of non-humans - elves, witches and the sort. The mayor lets them live in peace among humans - so long as they follow the one rule.

• All non-humans must glamour or conceal their features to appear human in public.

Non humans are often recruited to slay creatures which threaten the city, all the while keeping their existence hidden from the human populace. A few humans, professional slayers, are also called upon by the mayor in times of need.

The mayor is in possession of amnesiacs provided by employed witches, which can wipe memories should a human stumble upon a magic creature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To whom it may concern,

In light of the rising attacks on our great city, I have turned to you for help. Corrupted beings threaten our way of living, and I cannot count on my own police force to eliminate the threat, least of all without spreading news of mythical creatures being more than a thing of imagination. I do not wish to imply that you owe me your assistance in return for my offering of refuge, but I plead that you consider taking up arms for the city, if not for myself. Enclosed is the location of my office, as well as a meeting date. I'll anticipate your arrival.

Please try not to destroy my city. Thank you.

- Mayor Geralt

/// ~~~~~~~ /// ~~~~~~~ /// ~~~~~~~ /// ~~~~~~~ /// ~~~~~~~ ///

! New Player Information !

Time: Nearly Midday

New Quest: ChewTube
A group of vloggers have made an undead site a popular tourist attraction. Show up at each vloggers house and convince them to announce their video as fake, or head into the forest to draw the undead away.

The letter received by your character:
Dear enlisted,

A recently released viral video details a group of young people trekking through a forest, claiming it to be haunted. Since the vlog's inception, the bordering forest has been hit by masses of hikers looking to brave the woods, and I fear they have brought the undead's attention. We cannot afford to have them drawn out this close to the city - that leaves two options - convincing the creators of the viral video to announce the haunting is fake, and to lure the undead back into the depths of the forest. Addresses enclosed.

-​

Last edited:
Mayor Geralt lounged in his wing back leather chair, idly swirling the brandy within his glass while staring out of his generously-sized office window overlooking the city. The Mayor always called the city his gem, though he never felt that it did justice to the true beauty of the landscape topped with sprawling skyscrapers. Tonight was not the time for ogling, however, as Geralt knew that there was work to be done in order to make sure the city still stood.

A knock at the door. His assistant, a young witch led a rather pale, albeit well-built male into the room. "An intern, Lord Mayor."

The mayor sized the male up, who appeared to be doing the same in return. "Very good, see to it that other applicants find their way to my office as well." He gestured to one of the numerous assembled leather chairs, which the male seated himself in with no shortage of protest from the seat's frame. "Help yourself." The Mayor gestured to his liquor. "The others will be he shortly."

Seth nodded, reaching for the decanter.

Looking around, AJ finished packing up her things. "Well, today's as good a day to move as any, I guess." Grabbing her bags, she threw them into the back of her car. Whistling, she called for her dog, "Come on, Nova, it's time to go!" Once Nova was in the car, AJ jumped in the driver's seat and started driving to the town called Salem.

Once she got to Salem, AJ seemed to remember someone asking her to meet them at the Mayor's office.
"Sorry, Nova, you're gonna have to figure out the new place on your own for a little while." Stopping, she let her dog out of the car to sniff around the property while she drove to the Mayor's office.

When she arrived, AJ looked around for someone-anyone-to be there when she saw a young lady behind a desk.
"Hello! I'm new in town, and I seem to recall someone asking me to meet them at the Mayor's office. Would you happen to know who that might've been, miss?"

Julian Felix
Julian had already been let through to the office. The receptionist no longer tried to appeal to him or behave inappropriately - she had been politely declined so many times that she had given up. Julian only wished that his other suitors would do the same.

He had been summoned by His Honor, the Mayor, and of course he would obey when called upon. He already knew what this was about, and the lines in his brow were a little deeper than usual. Apart from looking sorrowful as always, Julian appeared additionally discomforted as well, as though something was bothering him.

It was pretty simple - he, himself, was a supernatural creature. The Mayor was not aware of this. The Mayor didn't have any way of being aware, simply because Julian was almost his right hand man and the supernatural expert. He had often helped the Mayor find other creatures while keeping his own identity hidden. Although the deception pained him - for the Mayor was a good man, passionate about his city - Julian had no choice. He was far more afraid of letting Mayor Geralt seek out the truth. Julian did not know how he would cope with the distrust and fear in the eyes of a man he respected so much.

It was imperial that neither the Mayor nor the city find out what a monster he was. Which is why he had come for the secret meeting today - Mayor Geralt would brief all the supernatural creatures and hunters he had summoned, and Julian himself would know which people to be wary of.

But there was a huge risk in this plan. Julian had prepared for everything - he had used every charm, every potion, every herb he knew of to hide his identity - but would that be enough? Would his identity manage to stay hidden in a room full of skilled hunters?

There was only one way to find out.

He politely greeted the Mayor's assistant as he passed her by. She did not bother trying to show him the way - she was aware that he knew these passages like the back of his hand. He had been to the Mayor's office plenty of times.
He reached the wooden doors and rapped on them sharply before letting himself in. Only two people were in the office - Mayor Geralt himself, and a pale stranger.
"Good evening, sir," he bowed his head while addressing the Mayor before nodding at the stranger.

The Mayor's assistant had finished fanning herself when another intern arrived at her desk. "Oh yes, you'll find him inside. He's expecting you."

Meanwhile, Mayor Geralt rose at Julian's entry, abruptly halting the pleasantries he had exchanged with Seth. "Ah, Julian! Please, sit. We have much to discuss." The mayor greeted the man as if he were an old colleague. Seth however, bristled at Julian's entry. "This here is Seth, a Witcher. I must say I have read about your kind, but have not met with one in some time." The Mayor drew his attention back to his weaponsmith. "And this, Seth, is Julian. Finest arms in Salem since the last arms dealer lost both his arms in a sword fight. Tragic indeed."

Seth eyed the silver haired newcomer. "And... this man is human?"
The Mayor laughed as if it were clear as day. "As the day he was born! Come now, your colleagues are soon to be joining us."
Even as the Mayor brushed the topic aside, the Witcher need only sniff to detect the sickly sweet scent the man emitted. Whatever he truly was remained a mystery, however, as the scent was simply too overpowering to refine detail from.

TerribleTachi TerribleTachi that1aj that1aj

Walking in the direction the woman at the desk had pointed, AJ walked up to a fairly fancy door. Knocking, she poked her head in and saw three important looking men. "Um... Hello! I hope I'm not interrupting anything. I'm AJ, I was told to come here once I got to town."

Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak TerribleTachi TerribleTachi

Julian turned his sorrowful blue eyes to Seth, and nodded once again. "Pleased to meet you," he said quietly, stepping forward as if to shake the other man's hand. He had read about Witchers too - but at the very least, he was prepared for this. His own true scent was masked with spices that would make it hard for the other to pinpoint his true nature.

But it wasn't as though Julian couldn't sense his hostility.

However, before Julian could take another step, the door opened behind him peered in. The young man paused for a second, before going back to open the door the whole way for her. Chivalrous as always, he gestured for her to come in. "Please," he added, glancing at the Mayor to make sure it was alright to let her in.

Walking the rest of the way into the office, AJ looked around. "Um... Thank you. This is a nice, uh, nice office." Looking around, she saw a man in a chair behind the desk, presumably the mayor, a man with silver hair who had let her in, and a well-built, if pale, man who didn't seem quite content. Putting her hand out towards the silver haired man, she introduced herself. "I'm AJ. AJ Schmidt. I was asked to meet someone here once I got into town, so... Here I am, if one of you was that person."

Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak TerribleTachi TerribleTachi

"Ah, why thank you, Miss Schmidt." The Mayor leaned back in his chair.
Seth, meanwhile, sized up the young woman. Pricked ears, golden flecked eyes - didn't take much wondering to figure out that the girl was elven. Good. He could use someone with a little cunning on his side.
"Now, onto why I have assembled you all here." The Mayor cleared his throat, interlacing his fingers. "There's been a number of disappearances reported to me by my police chief. Bodies found in alleyways with blood drained from their neck. Shocking business. I have no doubt that the suspect is a vampire on the loose who's reluctant to drink the blood packs provided to them." Standing up, the Mayor moved a photograph frame on his desk, which triggered part of the office wall to rumble aside, revealing an entirely new room. "If you'll follow me."

Inside the concealed room hung a flickering lamp illuminating several cork boards, ripped-out newspaper articles pinned to them. Seth scanned a few of the headlines. 'Full Moon killer found', 'Broom Closet raided by police', 'Another woman found dead, bite marks on neck'. The Mayor stood next to the latter, gesturing to several profile shots of civilians. "I have managed to hold the Press by claiming these were wild dog attacks, but I simply cannot have a crazed vampire running around." He gestured to one of the photos, a burly looking man covered in face tattoos. "This man here owns a... gentleman's club downtown. One of his staff was the most recent victim. I suggest you start there." The Mayor placed his hands behind his back, ready to answer any questions should they arise.

Julian gave the young woman a fleeting smile as he shook the hand she had offered. As the Mayor spoke, he gestured politely for her to take a seat, following which he took one himself. Much like Seth, he had realized that the newcomer was an elf even as he looked at her.

The room was silent when the Mayor Geralt spoke. There was a slight pause after his words, and Julian decided he might as well explain his role in all this once again, for the benefit of Miss Schimdt. He stepped forward, turning to face the two hunters.

"My name is Julian Felix. I'm here to supply you with any arms and ammunition you may require, supernatural or otherwise." Although he was primarily looking at AJ, his eyes glanced quickly at Seth as well. He didn't want to look the WItcher in the eye for too long, as if the dark-haired man could see the secrets in his eyes.

"I'm AJ, as you guys already know. It's nice to meet you, Julian. I, um... I'm an archer, I guess, in my spare time, if that's why you wanted me here." AJ said, mimicking shooting a bow and sitting down. "Although I don't think I have any arrows that could kill a vamp, so I would need some of those."

TerribleTachi TerribleTachi Caffeine Freak Caffeine Freak

Sance & LuaSance pulled her sister along hurriedly. They were late, but what was new? Lua refused to get up, as usual. She was really going to have to help her with that... Shaking the though from her head, she continued to drag her sister along into the Mayor's office. She smiled at the receptionist and explained her situation, her face trying not to distort with displeasure at telling this stranger that her sister was a lazy, good for nothing- Never-mind. She sighed as they were lead to where the others were met up. "I apologize for our tardiness, my sister here isn't too fond of being on time." Her bright voice filled the room, a smile on her face before she gave a glare at the bright green-eyed Reaper at her side. Glancing around the room, she knew virtually nobody. They hadn't been here long, so she didn't know much about those gathered in the room. It irked her a bit, being so social did her no justice, apparently.

Lua stood with her eyes to the ground for a few moments, her sister's scolding gaze fading. She brought her head up and looked around as well, not a single word leaving her mouth. She didn't like people much, so why interact? Hell, she was only here because her sister said it was "important" for them to help out. She scoffed softly at the thought of being needed. She was never needed before, so why help out now?

Daryl watched all the people shuffle into the building, lazily sucking on a cigarette. He puffed on the little cancer stick until, if he were still human, it burned his fingers. That was on e perk about this whole vampire thing: No longer having to worry about getting lung cancer due to his disgusting habit. Smoking was more of a comfort at this point, reminding him of everything before this. He scrunched up his nose and shook his head. No point in dwelling on depressing bull. He was already late and should probably get inside. With a sigh, he tossed his cigarette down, crushing it underneath his boot's heel. Heaving a deep sigh, he finally made his way into and up the building. He introduced himself and was let into the office, where he leaned against a wall and crossed his arms.

Alex crumpled the letter and tossed it aside, I'm an exterminator now am I? And what's with the subtle jab about me owing the town anything? He sighed, he knew the letter was written to be sent to multiple people, and the town had been good to him. How long had he lived here? He might as well show up, he owed the town that much.
...​
Alex rushed up the stairs to city hall, Maybe i should have kept the address. I was there when this place was built, you think I'd be able to find it! Alex stopped next to an old photo in the hall, it showed a group of officials crowding the mayor as he cut the ribbon to open this building, in the left corner of photo, was a familiar black and white man.
Alex rushed past the intern, "Hello Grenda", Alex paused at the Mayor's door, that was her mother's name wasn't it, grandmother's? His suspicions were confirmed as he tripped over nothing into the mayors office, luckily the room was empty. The disgruntled secretaries voice echoed into the room, "The photo". Picking himself up he walked to the desk and gave the photograph a tug, one of the walls began to move aside.
The mayor was accompanied by several twenty somethings and what looked to be a high school girl, but you could never tell ages in this town. The first man was pale, but not a sickly pale, indeed he had a look of danger about him, not like the second man, who too was pale, but he radia- no, he pulled in attention, he drew you in and didn't let go. The last one looked more of a boy than a man, this was more attributed to attitude than his age or looks. Two of the girls shared a complexion, siblings obviously. The last was the youngest, blonde hair and sparkly eyes. It seems the glamours hadn't come down yet, then again, it could be that this group was more human than he'd anticipated.
"Sorry I'm late, got lost on the way in"

"Worry not, new arrivals. In fact the contract has just begun!" The Mayor strolled out of the sideroom, retaking his leather seat. "Our great city is not just affected by one affliction, but many. I'm afraid to say that if these cases remain unsolved, the very foundation of Salem may crumble." He took a hearty sip of his brandy. "As I was just explaining to my early birds here, there is a murderous vampire on the loose. If you assist me in felling this terrorist, you shall bask in no shortage of rewards." The Mayor reached under his desk, before placing a quiver full of engraved arrows atop his desk. "Silver arrows, for you sir." He shifted the quiver toward Aj. "Supplied by Julian himself. I'm sure you'll find them of the highest quality."

The Mayor perplexed his fingers on his tabletop, addressing everyone. "Now, there are in fact two leads on this killer. One is the... oh confound it all, the brothel where his most recent victim worked - the other is the victim's ex-husband's household. You may choose which of these places you wish to visit in order to pursue this killer. Perhaps working in groups is the best way to apprehend the fanged fiend after all."

Seth leant against the wall all the while the Mayor spoke. Keenly listening yet darting eyes between the new bodies in the room. "I'll go to the brothel." He said at last, pushing off the wall. "T-To look for clues, I mean. Bound to be something there."

TerribleTachi TerribleTachi that1aj that1aj V e r t i g o V e r t i g o MonsterGlacier MonsterGlacier Floodwater31 Floodwater31

Daryl snorted, then quickly pressed his lips together in a thin line. He covered his mouth with a pale hand. "Sorry." He coughed, trying to cover up his laughter. "T-to look for clues, right. That's why any red-blooded straight male would want to go to a brothel. To look for clues." He pushed himself off the wall and shoved his hands into his pockets. "For real, though, sorry. I imagine all the guys here want to check out the brothel for clues? I'll take the ex-hubby's house, if you don't mind, Mayor."

Seth opened his mouth to retort, but ultimately just rolled his eyes. He'd dug his own grave on that one.

"Very good. I suggest you all depart to your chosen location. The address is enclosed." The Mayor stood from his chair and saluted the group. "You're all this city's best damn hope, I have faith you'll bring justice. Don't worry about keeping me updated, I have my own ways of keeping tabs on your progress." He sat back down. "So concludes our meeting. I shall see all of you later."

Outside, Seth turned around, folding his arms. "Right, so we've established that Toothy here is going to check out the ex-husband's house while I scout the workplace. Probably a good idea if we all flesh out who's going where and with who." While the Witcher preferred to work solo, he supposed it couldn't hurt to have a few extra pairs of eyes looking around for clues.

TerribleTachi TerribleTachi that1aj that1aj V e r t i g o V e r t i g o MonsterGlacier MonsterGlacier Floodwater31 Floodwater31

Sance's eyebrows danced in confusion, glancing at the floor with her hand on her chin in thought. She brought her head back up at the snort leaving Daryl, finding herself giggling at his remark. "Oh, C'mon, leave the poor man alone, he's just trying to help," she shot a joking glance at Seth. "Even if he's trying to help himself." She smiled and shook her head. "Lua and I-"
She was cut off by her sister finally speaking up, Sance only blinking in surprise. "I can make my own decisions," she looked down again and mumbled. "I'm grown now..." She blew a piece of her pitch black hair from her eyes and looked to Daryl. "I'll join you, Sance go watch Mister Clue-finder over there and make sure he behaves." She said sarcastically, a small smirk spreading across her lips.
Sance huffed at her sister's remarks. "You think you'd mind your mouth, sister," she shook her head again and sighed, folding her arms and looked to Seth. "I guess I'll be joining you, if that's alright?"

Nodding, AJ replied. "I'll go to the brothel too. To make sure you guys behave yourselves." Smirking, she looked at Seth.

"Could use someone watching my back." Seth nodded. He couldn't quite put his finger on the species of which the girl, Sance belonged to. The only facts he could really grasp were that the two were related, the alleles didn't lie. They were both this strange race, then. Whatever they were, the familiar metallic scent of immortality drifted through his nose, and Seth wondered if the smaller girl was, in fact, even older than he was. He supposed he should be saving his noir for the crime scene, and decided to drop the thought. "Try and save the bitterness for the killer, though." He muttered, striding toward the door. "C'mon, AJ." Whoever else remained to take their respective lead was then left to decide.

The brothel and the household were practically on opposite sides of the city. The prior had no shortage of customers, lured in by the sickly sweet scent drifting from its doors and explicit neon signs dangling from its exterior and casting flickering hues of colour upon the cobbled street.
The household sat silent amidst several more adjacent, identical houses. The window was slightly ajar, cold breeze drifting out.

Both places waited patiently for their hunters to arrive, both tainted with their own deadly secrets. The adventurers would have to get there first however, and Seth - the first person to step outside - sighed as it began pouring with rain.

Walking out behind Seth, AJ put her hand under the steady rain. "Better hope this doesn't damage anything of mine." Stepping out into the rain, she started walking in the direction of where she thought the brothel would be. "You coming?" she called behind her.

Daryl heard the sound of the rain pitter pattering against the window and groaned, but nonetheless, he started on his short journey back outside. Once there, Daryl smelled the sweet scent that came before a thunderstorm. He shook his head, sincerely hoping that wasn't the case. Oddly enough, he hated the rain. It was too gloomy, and he hated gloomy. He stood in front of the building and ducked his head to light up another cigarette. For a few moments, the wind was not having it. Finally, the tip of the cigarette caught light and he drew in a deep breath. "You're not human, right? So this shouldn't bother you. If it does, I'll put it out," he said to Lua.

Sance frowned at Seth's remark she assumed was directed at her sister. She quickly smiled again, watching AJ step into the rain first. She didn't know much of what the weather was like for mortals, and slowly held her hand out into the street. She let the cool, wet drops hit her palm and smiled again. The reality that this world was seemingly safe gave her a little bit of hope of them finding these damned creatures that wanted to ruin such a peaceful place. Following the two out, she could only wonder what species the both of them were, surely not human. She closed her eyes and took in the sweet smell in the air, both of their scents hitting her nose as well. AJ gave off a sweet, delicate smell that made Sance shiver with delight, while Seth gave a more rugged, bitter scent that confused her.

Lua looked at the rain, her green eyes almost illuminating in the dim light. She almost ignored that Daryl had even spoken to her, but decided it would be best to answer him. "If I were human, do you think I'd be here trying to help?" She almost hissed, but sighed and shook her head. "It doesn't bother me one bit, don't worry about it."

Daryl yanked the drawstrings of his jacket to tighten his hood around his face, so only his mouth, nose, and a portion of his eyes were exposed. He sighed. Of course, he got stuck with the sister that seemed like a brat. "What's your name?" he asked, taking a drag and starting to walk in the direction of the house. "I'm Daryl, Daryl Snider. Is that your sister? You bicker like sisters. I have three sisters, all younger." He shook his head, realizing he was starting to ramble. "Sorry, right. Your name?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back