• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine

NovaPheonix

Drifting Writer
I've been experimenting with this game lately. It's a freeform RPG that can be played both in person or online that either uses no dice or a very simple dice system depending on what the players decide. You play younger, more emotionally driven characters in a fantastical world powered by wonder and imagination. It's very esoteric while also finding ways to be down to earth and heartfelt. It encourages very thematic and emotional play, and evoking certain emotional reactions is part of the gameplay.

You build a character not by defining their stats per say, but based on what sort of story you want to tell with them. There are Skills, but they really only exist as a benchmark for things your character is good at. You assign yourself a story arc and starting quest and get experience based on different prompts within that quest (some of them are custom, so you can set your own if you like). As an example, in my recent training scene there was EXP given out just for focusing on a training scene. The genre is also variable. In something like a School Life RP you're given bonus EXP for having heartfelt conversations and doing fun things together, and a fantasy action RP is going to reward use of danger and magical description. The game does not really force you to do much, it only reinforces what is already going on. You want to focus on a mystery? Ok, let's use the rules for that...ect. 

I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to try it out, because I'd like to see how it's played on a forum for myself. I don't really have a genre in mind yet, because it would depend on who is interested. The game is inspired by very fantastic sort of fantasy stories like Studio Ghibli films or Adventure Time, and things like that. 

@KAmber

Awesome, my minimum is normally three players, but I'd settle for two at the moment. I'm gonna wait to see if we get one more.

Did you have a particular genre in mind? The game normally has a few default genres, but we can invent our own:

-Pastoral/Slice of Life (Good for school settings or just a peaceful environment and normally covers whole seasons)

-Gothic (Slow, Dark, Horrific and Brooding)

-Immersive Fantasy (Getting caught up in the wonder of a fantasy world)

-Techno (A type of gameplay focused on over the top reactions, weird adventures, and meta-commentary. I dunno why it's called 'Techno' because it has nothing to do with technology, though it sort of embodies the feel of a fast techno song with rapid moments and beats of drama.)

-Road of Trials (Struggling against impossible odds, dealing with adversity or challenge)

-Fairy Tale style-stories (Weird, Strange, Fairy Tale tropes are involved)

-Epic Fantasy (Heroic, flawed, characters)

-Adventure Fantasy (Magic! Danger! Excitement!)

[The genres are all color-coded in the book, so I included that also :D. I love color coding]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested. I like road of trails and epic fantasy.  I also like mystery, mythology , and modern day settings as well. Just to let you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested. I like road of trails and epic fantasy.  I also like mystery, mythology , and modern day settings as well. Just to let you know.

Yeah, those things would work pretty well with this game I think (mystery and mythology). It's pretty freeform so the time period wouldn't really change very much. It tends to take place in a fantastic world, so as long as it's not a dull city, a modern setting could work.

-Techno (A type of gameplay focused on over the top reactions, weird adventures, and meta-commentary. I dunno why it's called 'Techno' because it has nothing to do with technology, though it sort of embodies the feel of a fast techno song with rapid moments and beats of drama.)

-Road of Trials (Struggling against impossible odds, dealing with adversity or challenge)

i like these

@KAmber@Metalgeardude

So it looks like we can settle on some kind of positive fantasy type thing (though "fantasy" could mean any type of fiction so we could do sci-fi or something like that.)

Do you guys have any ideas about the type of characters you like to play? We need to decide what sort of power-level we want to have. 

I'd want a spell blade with (maybe) time stopping magic.

@KAmber

@Metalgeardude

For now, the things I would need to be able to continue would be a basic outline of your characters.

This includes their name, basic personality, a picture or detailed description, and their current defining goal.

As long as you decide what genres you like, and fill in the character information I asked for...you're in!

I like these genres, but I don't mind the others. I'll work on my character once I get home on Sunday as I am away at the moment. 

15 hours ago, LillaIsACat said:

I like these genres, but I don't mind the others. I'll work on my character once I get home on Sunday as I am away at the moment. 

No problem with me, I have plenty of time. 

name : Harebourg

basic personality : Calm, never is stressed and likes to dress in fancy clothes

description : He wears a gray coat with a tail that reaches the ground and a red and maroon striped dress shirt with a nearly black vest. He wears a light gray bowtie with deep blue marks and carries four decks of cards at all times. He has a a polished wood cane and an omegium boomerang. (Omegium is a fantasy metal that is an alloy of gold, bronze, and coal.) 

current defining goal : To not die

Users who are viewing this thread

Back