Character Gender Ratios in Roleplays

The cruel irony about gender stereotypes, or stereotypes in general, is that the existence of the stereotype only seems to generate more of that behavior. If you're a male, then you don't want to be caught "wimping out," lest someone call you out for it. If you're a female, you don't want to be caught acting apathetic in emotional situations, or you will probably be labeled as a bitch. If you're Asian, you probably get sick of hearing "but I thought Asians were supposed to be good at math," so you git gud.

That's something I always like to take into account when determining the gender of my character and their outward behavior, because the way someone acts doesn't always reflect the way they instinctively want to act. That being said, I honestly don't think that's something that Average Joe roleplayer takes into consideration when creating their character, but I would say it's definitely a thing.

But I digress. Let's make sure we're keeping this thread as just a friendly discussion.

I prefer an equal gende ratio. Though, I have developed a little habit of making my character in a way, that feels natural, but still allows for a few traits that are there just to counter these forced-romance kinda people. Have an RP full of girls? Guess what I'll do, I'll make a lesbian and see how awfully funny those 'Let's throw each other at the ONE guy" chicks react if I hit on them. I've had a single RP on a different site. I had a guy and it was mostly girls. Most were pretty stereotypical and made everything I did into a flirty thing. I gave him some socially feminine traits and you could tell how quickly it went off. But, to be honest, I can't do that forever. It's just not fun to have everything the same. Be it overly-romanticizing everything, be it everyone be brooding and unsocial, be it everyone be girls/guys in a setting that doesn't really call for it. It's just kinda bleh to have the same thing in everyone.

Shippo said:
Geez how about it just how I play my characters. But hey sorry for now on I make murdering female characters to me abandoning what makes female characters great. It is just weird. your welcome to play female role without them though. There a huge list if characters through movies and anime that females are lead action role but still have feminine qualities.
I apologize. I kinda jumped on you about that too.

Whatever kind of character dynamic appeals to you is fine. What I took issue with was your broad generalization. I've been known to play the 'protector' fairly often. Its a part of my personality, honestly, but its a silly and outdated part. Unfortunately, the phrasing of your original post suggested that men SHOULD be tough, stoic protectors and that women SHOULD be emotional, defenseless victims.

I know you don't actually think that, but its how your earlier post was misinterpreted.

My apologies.

Meh, I think it was kind of justified. I don't have a problem with people playing the typical female wifey, nor do I mind the typical stoic dudebro. If you like it, that's fine. But if your reasoning is "That's how men and women are." then I have a problem with that. Not because of what you play, but because of the reasoning behind it. I mean, it's a touchy subject, but still.

Ursus said:
I apologize. I kinda jumped on you about that too.
Whatever kind of character dynamic appeals to you is fine. What I took issue with was your broad generalization. I've been known to play the 'protector' fairly often. Its a part of my personality, honestly, but its a silly and outdated part. Unfortunately, the phrasing of your original post suggested that men SHOULD be tough, stoic protectors and that women SHOULD be emotional, defenseless victims.

I know you don't actually think that, but its how your earlier post was misinterpreted.

My apologies.
That not what I meant at all. Compliment to female roles. Is that mine work best with groups or pairs. female roles use a wide range of emotion to express how they feel. Blood+ and soul eater come to mind. Where the lead is female. They show that emotional impact. That if it was a male role you go damn he a crying baby.

The 5 characteristics that characters fall in to applies to both genders.

I was more meaning that male roles typically hate to be saved after a certain age. They want to prove themselves in their own right. So for someone protecting they often get angry about it.

I am doing a rp with a friend where my character is the younger brother of the nain character and later the lover of her other character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back