• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter V: Out of Sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie flinches back from the raging, explosively flaming demon. Her face is nearly bone-white, her eyes wider than ever, and she is trembling with fear and with the effort expended in not screaming. For a moment, it's the only effort she's capable of, with that ferocious sight in front of her. Only the demon's charge causes a change, and even then it's all she can do to push herself between it and Meric (she's forgotten whether his injuries are healed at this point), hardly realizing she's doing it. It's a further (albeit much lesser) shock when neither of them is attacked, the demon instead leaping over their heads. The priestess remembers to breathe, and is just turning to see what's happening behind her when Meric's tug on her sleeve calls her attention downwards. Her shaking hands automatically grasp the sword's hilt, but at first she seems not to understand what he's telling her. Suddenly his words sink in. She replies, her words no louder than his. "Raziel?" She looks at the sword, at the demon, at the sword again, and finally back at Meric himself. Her mouth tightens, as do her hands upon the sword's hilt, and she nods, accepting Meric's trust in her. Rising to her feet, she studies the situation. She could bring the ancient blade to Battojutsu, but from here she cannot tell how badly he is injured, only that he isn't getting up. And doing so would certainly entail running past the demon and probably attracting its attention before she can hand off the sword and get the demonhunter on his feet again. No one else is close enough. The demon's back is before her, within reach for this brief opportunity. She raises the sword in both hands, a look of fierce determination on her face. Though she doesn't know the sword, she does know the staff, and she knows how to thrust. Silently, so as not to give any warning to her foe, she runs forward, the sword's point aimed at Nemar's heart with all her strength and momentum behind it - and all her faith, wordless prayers filling her soul with hope and resolve.

It cannot be said with certainty whether Maggie's blow pierced Nemar's heart or just came awfully close, because the twenty-foot greater demon was no easy target even kneeling down with his back turned, but in the end it did not matter. For with the plunge of that sword the priestess felt - in the brief moment before her hands released the hilt - a sort of awakening, as if living dragon fire was asleep in the blade, waiting just for a moment like this to wake and do its work.

The greater demon gasps with pain once more, beaten down on his knees. In the next few moments his body is consumed in a fury of black blood and golden fire, until there is nothing left of him except Battojutsu's katana and Meric's sword that slew him.

As if on cue, storm clouds appear quickly overhead and within a short minute it starts to rain. Behind from the direction of the Outskirts, there are a dozen shapes coming out through the woods. Some are armored, some robed, and the person leading them is easily recognized - even at this distance - as Sanya Sarkov.

Maggie stares at the blade when it comes alive in her hands, but has little time to wonder before the demon's death takes over her attention. Sighing, she sinks to the ground in relief, for a moment. Sudden memory causes her to spring up again, and she takes the few steps needed to reach Battojutsu's side, where again she kneels down, this time to tend to their demonhunter's wounds. She first casts her Purify miracle to aid in the shock and unseen injuries, and then Heal if need be. Sitting back, she sees the approaching figures, and smiles thankfully, waving an arm over her head to Sanya. For the moment, she says little aside from her spells; all the emotional turmoil of the past battle has seemingly worn her out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

Vittorio sags with relief, leaning heavily on his staff.

The construct, and all the time and resources it cost, may be destroyed - but at least everyone survived. More importantly, perhaps, the demon is defeated.

While he cannot shake the feeling things could still get worse, he smiles and waves wearily toward Sarkov.

Battojutsu suffered a serious blow from the blast but thanks to Maggie's miracles he is fully aware now and able to slowly get up when he chooses. It will take a full day's rest for both him and Meric to recover fully - the elf will need additional care, however.

Sanya Sarkov arrives at the scene looking impressed and concerned. "I take it I'm late? I set out to warn you, you see. At the Mage's Guild I interrogated a prisoner... A blood mage. He admitted tearing the Veil with his accomplices under the lead of one Uldred who has disappeared. Have you found him? Is he... dead? I couldn't get past the blasted fog in time. I can scarcely believe you've dealt with the demon all by yourselves. Supposedly it was a greater demon, whatever that means. Quite a feat in that case."

Meric slowly gets up with Violet's assistance and shakes his head. "We found no blood mages. I fear his fate might remain unknown."

"A bloody greater demon..." Laurolf curses, spitting on the ground. "Ya hear that? We're quite somethin', it seems."

Among the other arrivals are soldiers of the City Watch and Guild mages who appear to be responsible for the rainy weather. Slowly but surely, the fire begins to die out from the downpour.

Battojutsu Honda

Demon Slayer of the West

A gasp of air. A rush of vitality- he claws for life, in his wounded state, only to feel a great soothing as the light of holy magic washes over his form. Mere moments before, he had been steeling himself; gathering his will, the last of his strength, to spit in the demons eye one last time before his death... and then he grins lopsidedly, as it dies. As he is proved right once again, and his faith rewarded with yet another miracle; as his core belief in the strength of the mortal races is rewarded with the valiant aid of another...

And then his pain is washed away, and he gasps for air- eyes widening as he turns them to look at her, shining with gratitude. His grin is wide and almost manic, as he let's out a laugh of glee- exulting in his survival, in another demons death. "Thank you greatly, lady priestess. I take back what I said when we first met, about your place on a battlefield; I owe you my life, and I intend to repay it. Ahh... truly, I am favored by the spirits to be found in the company of the valiant at heart once more, and to be allowed to continue my hunt even in this strange land.." He muses, as he pushes himself up- and moves to recollect his precious weapons- first searching for his Katana, inspecting it for any damage before sheathing it, to be cleaned when they aren't being swarmed. Then his Nodachi, to meet much the same fate before he lifts his eyes to the others, and smiles warmly.

"We have done well, this day... but if your goal is the woman who first called these demons here, there will be many more like this beast in the future.... and possibly even far worse... this was a Greater Demon in the weakest possible scenario for it to fight us from, my friends. Usually they have armies of their kin behind them- and this one was alone. We are quite fortunate indeed.."

As he recovers his weapons, however, Battojutsu makes an unfortunate and likely painful discovery. At the place where he clashed with the demon and wounded him before the explosion that sent him flying he finds only what is left of his nodachi. As Maggie and Meric were able to witness while Battojutsu was downed, the demon had stomped and battered the greatsword with such ferocity that it sank into the ground until it drowned in a puddle of lava - due to the proximity to the big pool. There was little left of it but broken, half-melted pieces. He was now one blade shorter than when this fight began.

"I am sorry." said the shadow elf as he moved to stand by Battojutsu. He had fought alongside the demon hunter and felt it appropriate to approach him in such a moment.

The man crouches down in the rubble, looking around for what he can find. He smiles faintly- as he grabs for the hilt, leather melted into the steel that he grasped in battle- crossguard split and ruined, a jagged shard of gleaming metal with a single intact rune shining. It's the single largest piece left- half melted, jagged in spots and smooth in others... and a grin splits his face, as he turns to face the elf who fought beside him, holding that fragment in hand.

"Worry not, friend. There is nothing to be sorry for- a single blade and a few scratches are a small price indeed to pay for a Greater Demons life. Ahhh... No, do not apologize- these moments... these battles... these hard won victories- these are what I live for, what I was trained for, what I was born for.... Yes. Don't apologize- for all that has happened in this battle was as my duty dictates. Indeed- thank you, for standing beside me and making it possible." He begins, smiling warmly at the elf- an almost manic gleam in his eyes as he turns to the rest of his companions of the battle- grinning wide, almost fighting back a mirthful laugh, an explosion of emotion and joy from the stoic, reserved warrior.

"Thank you all, my friends, my comrades. We have won a mighty victory today- but if things are as I have heard, it will have to be but the first of many. I hope to fight beside you in many battles more to come.... yes. Thank you, for fighting one of these- the battles that must be won for all the mortal races of this world.." He trails of, tilting his head back and staring up, as he holds that fragment of steel and leather in his hand, a broad smile on his face as he stares up at the sky above, in this broken and burnt place. He thinks of the war his own people fought, in the days of his youth- and of the war ahead... and a sigh escapes him as he thinks of what the cost in life might be.

"One of the battles... where failure is no option at all.."

Maggie smiles and shakes her head in response to Battojutsu's thanks. "I am but the agent of the Maker; it is his power, channeled through my faith, that heals. I thank you for the compliment, though, and look forward to future journeys together."

Slowly she stands, gazing at the pool of cooling lava. Perhaps oddly, her faith is not at all diminished by the lack of response to her prayers; instead, she feels rather confirmed in her beliefs. Why, indeed, should angels or even the Maker himself give her what she already had? And did they not have all they needed to defeat their foe, in the end? Her expression is peaceful when she turns to the others. "Thank you for coming, Sanya. It seems we are done here. Are all well enough to return to the city?"

Even Meric falls silent when Battojutsu speaks, and merely nods in admiration. A'kal follows suite, and it is clear that Battojutsu has earned the respect of both of them with his prowess in combat and this speech afterwards. Everything seems to be well and under control then, and with their task accomplished the fellowship returns victoriously to Dunn to celebrate. It is sometime in the afternoon and the skies have all cleared; a perfect day at last! And somehow very fitting for the outcome of the great crisis that gripped the city for days. Violet and Sanya make for the castle to speak with Lord Brook, while everyone else returns to the Maker's Temple in the South Quarter.

But upon arrival, they immediately realize that something is wrong. A dozen guards is moving around the perimeter and a few priestesses are crying just inside the main hallway. This is enough to cause tension in Meric, A'kal and Laurolf. Yes. Something bad has transpired in the party's absence.

Concerned, Maggie sets aside her own weariness and hurries up to the weeping priestesses. "What's the matter? What has happened?"

The priestesses are too distressed to answer, but a priest among their number steps forth to greet Maggie. "The unspeakable, Sister. A murder took place in the Temple itself. Two of our brothers have been slain." he reports with a look of utter sadness.

Meric and A'kal exchange glances and then both proceed quickly inside.

"Oh, no..." Maggie rests a hand comfortingly on each of the priestesses' shoulders before hurrying after Meric and A'kal. "Maker be with our fallen. What could have happened?"

Maggie and Battojutsu find Meric and A'kal a few hallways inside, right on the threshold of the actual temple inside the Maker's Temple. The bodies of the two priests are still there and covered with cloth out of decency. There are a couple City Watch guards examining the scene. Meric checks out what is left of the once large, double wooden doors of the shrine and reports: "Whoever killed the priests was after something inside the shrine, I bet. And this door was torn to pieces by something powerful."

"Ya don't suppose..." Laurolf creeps up warily from behind, "That we, um, overlooked a demon or two?"

"No, I don't think so." Meric shakes his head. "No way that it could get this far into the city and the Temple itself without being noticed. I sense involvement of a third party."

"I will look into it." A'kal says ceremoniously, crouching down by one of the dead bodies. He rests a hand against it and closes his eyes, obviously to use his chronomancy and try to peer into the recent past of the deceased. It is taking him some time.

Meanwhile Meric goes into the shrine chamber, a medium sized room with support columns in a circle around it and a single large pedestal under a glass window where one would traditionally kneel and pray to the Maker. He doesn't do that, though. "Everyone, spread out and look for clues. We have to find out what went wrong here."

Laurolf bestows his full attention to the door frame and its surroundings. He soon begins to mumble to himself.

Maggie pauses beside her fallen brethren to whisper a prayer for their souls, though she is careful not to interrupt A'kal. Then she follows Meric into the shrine proper. She nods in reply to his orders and goes up to the pedestal, looking for any sign of whomever was last here. If there are none, she kneels herself to ask for guidance before moving on to another area of the chamber.

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

Still shaken from the demon's defeat, Valtieri has remained silent and watchful. But now, with a shameful sense of irony, he livens up. Perhaps the shades of these unfortunate people can be called back to name their killer...

Despite a thorough search there is not much to find. Aside from the breached doors and the two murdered priests there are no signs of struggle that would indicate who was responsible or what they were after. Until A'kal finishes his examination, that is. The man slowly rises, blinking with realization and then spits out a single word that draws everyone's attention.

"Xenthriss."

For a moment, there is heavy silence. Those who don't know the meaning of the word are just beginning to wonder, and then Meric steps in. "Xenthriss? Are you saying..."

"I looked into the last memories of the fallen priest," A'kal explains, "And in them I saw Xenthriss. The Sight can be blurry and unclear, but I am certain. Xenthriss killed the priests, broke inside, and took her."

Meric's bewilderment turned into soundless shock when he heard the answer to the question no one had the time to word:

"He took Dina."

Maggie glances at her friends. The name "Xenthriss" doesn't sound familiar to her, but it obviously means something to them. "Who is --?" She breaks off as A'kal speaks a name she does know - Dina. "Oh, no! Where will he - he? - have taken her? What can we do to rescue her?"

Meric exchanges a few long, meaningful glances with Laurolf, A'kal, and Valtieri before answering Maggie's question. "Xenthriss was one of the six original companions sent on the quest for the Amaranth. One of the Chosen appointed by the Spectral Council itself. We lost him after leaving Raziel's temple through a portal. We weren't sure of where he went, we just knew he didn't follow us."

"On purpose, it seems..." said Laurolf dripping with contempt. "He's bloody betrayed us all! That girl is the heir to the throne! Where d'ya think he took her? Bastard's workin' with the enemy!"

A'kal nodded and said in a grave voice: "I suspect the same. I always wondered why you would keep one such as Xenthriss among you. He felt wrong since the moment I laid eyes on him."

"I don't know why the Council chose him, but it doesn't matter now."
Meric said. "Where was he until now and where did he go? Watchman," he addressed the nearby City Watch soldier. "Imagine the biggest, meanest, most terrifying drakkar in existence, dragging a young girl with him. Somebody had to have seen them leave."

But the soldier shook his head. "Nay. The Watch would make note of such an individual. There are no drakkar in Dunn. Besides, with the noise made here, the alarm was raised within minutes. We'd detain anyone suspicious looking."

"Then that leaves out the worst scenario." Meric said, facing the others again. "He left using magical means. And if he is working with the enemy, with the Sorceress, and she provided him with the ability to transport himself and another on a whim..."

"He could have gone from Zvern Azna directly to Ilhirel, having planned the betrayal for Maker knows how long." A'kal remarked.

"... then there's only one place in Asgard where he would have taken Dina." Meric finished. He didn't say it though, leaving the answer hanging in the air.

Battojutsu Honda

Demon Slayer of the West

Battojutsu looks between the people present, one by one. He listens to the entire explanation quietly- his scowl darkening by the moment. His good spirits at the defeat of the demon have faded completely, and his fists clench tighter by the second.

"I have never met this... Xenthriss. I have never seen a drakkar, as you called him. But from what you say- he has betrayed a sacred quest? He has transgressed a vow to fight against this foul, demon summoning sorceress- betrayed the cause of the people who fight against a woman who brings forth hell itself upon this world?" He pauses, letting his words sink in as his eyes roam over the others present.

"Then we should find him. Kill him. And rescue this girl- the proper course of action is obvious. What is this one place he would be, this one place he would have gone?" He asks firmly- looking to the others; a foreigner to this land, he is unaware of the locations; though he can guess the one place, is the sorceresses citadel.

Maggie looks to each person in turn. "Battojutsu is right. We have to find her and save her - it is not only our duty to our respective callings, or to our land - it is due to her as our friend. We must, at the very least, try."

"If our reasoning is true, and everything seems to imply that it is," Meric said, "Then the only place where Xenthriss could have taken Dina is Alicante itself. The Royal Palace, at that. The heart of the kingdom..."

"Oh, boy..." Laurolf sighed. "If there be one place we should keep away from, that'd be it. Aye. But 'ere we go, right into the mess of things." Something shines in his eyes. "Bring it!"

"Getting into the city will be one thing, but the palace? We will need a real plan this time." The elf then turns to Maggie and Battojutsu. "It sounds like you two want to join us. Are you sure? We're breaking into the strongest fortress on the continent, and any mistake we make might spell our demise. You both best be certain you're coming. And that goes for the rest of you, too." He looks around, resting his gaze briefly on each person.

The warrior thinks for a moment... then shrugs, and smiles gently. "We'll just have to be sneaky. And have an escape plan. Duty is the greatest component of Honor, and if one must perform dishonorable actions for their duty, such is in truth the peak of honor, when one is willing to sacrifice ones own regard for oneself in the name of duty. It is our duty to sneak into this place, and rescue this important princess, yes? Let's just be sure we have the right Palace- I remember the time the Emperor's daughter was kidnapped, and the warlock kept laying false trails- telling us our princess was in another castle with mocking demons he left behind each time." He says- shuddering at the awful memories.

"Still. You say this woman is an important princess? Then rescue her we must, if she is truly important to your cause."

Maggie gives Meric a rather sad smile. "Any of the events of the past couple days could have been our demise, too. I won't let fear keep me from doing what I feel to be right. I am with you, all the way." Real humor enters her expression as she adds, "However, I don't care to take unnecessary risks. A plan, wise as we can make it, is certainly called for."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back