• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter V: Out of Sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Well, at least we can see each other now..." Maggie frowns intently at the flames around them. "I wonder if this is another illusion. Though it wouldn't be a good idea to assume it is - our enemy seems very fond of fire. Let me see..." Cautiously the priestess moves closer to the flames, one hand outstretched before her to test the fire's heat.

Vittorio Valtieri

The Gentleman Necromancer

Valtieri almost misses the chill of that strange fog, recoiling from the heat of the flames. He glances to his stoic construct, bushy brows knitting. Not fireproof, but perhaps close enough? And tall enough...

"Climb onto the shoulders of my guardian! I'll have it run us from here, to the others!" He cries to Battojutsu, struggling to haul himself up the armour plate and onto his minion's broad shoulder plates.

Maggie's quick inspection reveals that, for all intents and purposes, the forest fire is real.

A'kal and Violet arrive at the safe spot amid the growing flames looking mildly exhausted. Neither bothers to open the topic of what they've encountered in the fog but their looks say plenty.

Finally, Valtieri and Battojutsu rejoin the party on the back of the ever-so-compliant Undead golem.

Thus the fellowship is one again. From their relatively safe position they get to behold the growing inferno all around them. Meric begins whispering a prayer in elvish. Laurolf looks tense with both hands on his greataxe, as if expecting something to jump at them from the flames. A'kal stands tall and stern, staring left and right into the fire. Battojutsu rests his hand on his sword that glows a deep red.

Wait.

The westerner's features contort in shock as he slowly draws the blade out and stares at it in disbelief. The others can see what he cannot; that his other two swords glow in the same way. "Shedim." he utters, staring at the weapon. It is only a few long moments later that he looks up at the others and translates into Common Asgardian: "Demons."

Maggie pales. Well, the Maker never promised me an easy life... "Demons? Can your weapons, um, tell us anything about them? How many, or how powerful, or anything like that?" She stares at the swords for a long moment before nervously turning her gaze back to the fiery forest. Quietly, more to herself than the others, she whispers, "Maker help us."

"How many?" Battojutsu hisses as if surprised by the question. "You better hope there is only one, because that also happens to be the number of demon slayers in this little patchwork group." The westerner stares blindly ahead. "Yes. One is enough."

"Which?" Laurolf interjects. "One demon or one hunter?"

A sudden blaze of flames interrupts the conversation. A focused, swirling mess of fire and cinders in a straight line, like an unwalkable path. It points in a direction away from the party where tremors split the earth and sharp rocks come jutting out of it like teeth of something feral and hungry. In the middle lava pours out, forming a small pool in between the surrounding stone. This part of the forest now looks more like a scorched wasteland than something that was green and alive. Finally, something surges forth from the pool, encased in dripping lava and levitates a dozen feet in the air.

Rnetoml.jpg

It is the answer to all of the questions raised by Battojutsu's glowing blade. From the flame rises a demonic beast with three sets of eyes, minotaur-like horns, long and sharp teeth, and what looks like a thousand pounds of muscle. The demon is three times the size of a human being, and stands to this full height when he lands down with a stomp that sends lava and dirt flying around him.

"Pitiful mortal beings!" he roars in a voice that Valtieri recognizes from the crypt. "Each step you take in my domain is an insult. Each breath you take a defilement. You have come far enough, I grant, but your incursion ends here. I am Nemar. I am the end."

The party stands a mere hundred and fifty feet from the demon and his fiery throne.

WKHzQzC.jpg

Maggie shivers, and obviously not from cold, as the the fiery demon erupts from the ground before them. Her eyes widen, reflecting the flames of the terrifying nightmare facing her. For a moment, it's all she can to just to stand there. Then the demon speaks, and her fearful fascination is broken. Shaking her head slightly, she grips her Maker's symbol tightly and straightens. "No..." Her first attempt at a reply is strained and hushed. The priestess clears her throat and tries again, louder and more firmly. "No! This is not your domain. These are not your people. You are the intruder here. And we will not allow your evil to continue." She calls upon the power of her holy symbol to grant a refreshing of her Great Divine Shield miracle (so now she has two left, by my count) but does not yet cast it, waiting to see what the demon will do.

Vittorio Valtieri

Vittorio stares, for a long moment. Then carefully shuffles to the back, behind these many fine warriors, and watches.

If there's an opening, out goes the guardian - but this, ultimately, lies outside the Necromancer's area of experience.

If he is to die, he'd like to go out with enough understanding of this mess to pass word on, if some equally vainglorious soul tries to conjure his spectre.

The demon who called himself Nemar laughs away at Maggie, and he does so in the manner of one accustomed to ridicule others. When his short but sweet display of disrespect is over, he stomps the ground and sends more dirt and molten rock flying. "Bah!" he grunts. "Mine already or soon to be - what is the difference? Things belong to those mighty enough to take them. Being the local greater demon that would be me, puny mortals. Now to rid myself of your nuisance..."

The demon casually summons a rather large fireball with both hands and hurls it over at the party. Those quickest react immediately by scattering; Battojutsu darts to the right, Meric evades to the left, and Violet lowers her aim in order to jump sideways after him.

Maggie's hand flies out defiantly, the Greater Divine Shield flaring out and over the party. "Maker shield us!" she cries, willing the golden shields to appear over herself and Valtieri, A'kal, and Laurolf, if they're in range. Valtieri's minion is on his own, as the priestess feels her friends are more in need of protection.

Maggie's miracle endures against the fireball that turned out to be aimed directly at the center of the group. Much to the demon's dismay, everyone is completely unharmed. It is now their turn to act.

Battojutsu waits for no one and swiftly sprints directly towards the demon, fearless with both hands on his runic greatsword. Violet digs her feet in and starts doing what she does best; loosing arrow after arrow with the speed and accuracy that can only be accrued over long years of training. Meric nods at her and runs after Battojutsu. Laurolf grips his axe readily but stays near Maggie and Valtieri for now. A'kal as well. The tall man surveys the charred battleground, keeping his ancient sword unused but close.

"You are mistaken if you think the divines will save you." Nemar grunts. "I see no gods here! Only mortals about to learn their place!" That said the demon starts running towards Meric and Battojutsu in response. At over 15 feet, his massive yet lean in comparison red-skinned body with long claws at the end of his arms is a frightening sight but the two warriors do not flinch. Seconds later the three are engaged in melee which, despite Meric's formidable skill and Battojutsu's prowess as a demon hunter, looks very one sided to start with. And not in favor of the party.

Violet's arrows do not seem to be particularly effective either.

"On the contrary! The Maker is here, for His children are here. And you are alone!" The priestess's bravado is rather short-lived, seeing as her more combat-inclined companions don't seem able to hurt the demon. I need to do more research into offensive miracles... Frowning slightly, she asks Violet to hold a moment while she casts Light on the next arrow. While that particular miracle was never meant to cause damage, it's Maggie's hope that the touch of the divine will add at least some effectiveness. Such is her prayer, as well, when the arrow is launched on its journey. Maker, let this work, or inspire me to what will!

Vittorio Valtieri

Keeping well back from the spitting sparks and infernal flames, Valtieri watches his companions fight with some admiration and a little fear. Still, like a ritual leader, Battojutsu would need support to do the deed.

The necromancer commands his hulking guardian to charge the demon and attempt to restrain it - rather expecting this plan to backfire, but lacking in options. At least it can't fling fireballs while it's brawling.

Despite being locked in melee with Meric and Battojutsu, the demon cannot be distracted enough not to notice the charging undead golem, but he is still unable to react in time to avoid the collision that happens next. Rushing in right in between the two little fighters (in comparison), the construct rams Nemar with all the mustered force of its unquestionable loyalty, effectively pushing him backwards but not by far. It fails to restrain him however, as the demon is quick to defend himself from that point. He slams the undead back with a growl.

"What is this? If only my servants could have thought of this, but no... They turned out pathetic like all the others. You there, necromancer! I see no other death lord here so this little pet must belong to you. Join me now and I will grant you true power, such as can only be granted by demons!"

Meanwhile, the construct tirelessly follows its last directive and struggles to restrain the demon although in vain. It is clear that it does not possess the required strength for the task. At least not facing Nemar prepared like this. Still, it gives opportunity to Battojutsu and Meric who continue attacking; the westerner head on and the shadow elf flanking for a stealthier approach. Violet ceases firing at this point after having fired three arrows. All three connected but didn't seem to slow the demon down at all, holy light or no.

Maggie has never been the most combat-effective of the group, but this is probably the first time she's regretted her lack in that area. How are they to defeat something that even trained, specialized warriors like Battojutsu are having difficulties with? She searches her memory for anything that might be of help concerning demons, and comes up with a plan. She isn't sure it will work - actually, she rather thinks it won't - but it's all she can think of at this moment, and any try is better than none. She moves to the back of the party and drops to her knees, bowing her head and folding her hands a little desperately around her holy symbol. She speaks in a whisper, forgetting that those nearest can hear her. "Maker, we face a foe I fear is beyond our strength, but it is not beyond Yours. You have given us protectors against such as these. Lift my words to them, I pray, that they may send us help in this time of need. Let my prayers reach the ears of Uriel, Angel of Light, that he may break this darkness before us. Let my words be heard by Raziel, Angel of Secrets, that he may give us the knowledge we need to defeat this, the Hellguard's ancient enemy. It is not merely for my sake, nor for my friends, but for all of Dunn and its surroundings. Uriel, Angel of Light; Raziel, Angel of Secrets, on behalf of all innocents threatened by the demon Nemar, I ask that you aid us in this battle, whether by your very presence or by giving us what we need to stand in your stead."

For the moment, at least, the priestess' whispered prayer falls on deaf ears. Ironically the Hellguard is absent in a time when they are needed the most.

"No?" Nemar asks the necromancer. "Shame. Then you'll die like the rest." He then slams the undead golem back with such force that it almost topples over. Almost, but not. However this allows the demon to focus back on Battojutsu and Meric. The duo are skilled warriors, and their skill is probably the only reason why they are even still breathing.

Violet looks frustrated. She keeps her bow ready but does not fire anymore, instead just staring at the demon as he fights her comrades.

Laurolf flips, however. "Alright, that be it. Off I go, and I'll be comin' back with a new adornment for my mantlepiece back home." The dwarf bravely grips his battleaxe and runs off to join the fray.

A'kal seems to still be deciding between going or staying.

Battojutsu Honda

Demon Slayer of the West

The Western Man continue's to move, flowing without true thought in the battle against the Demon. He knows- to slow enough to truly think, is to die against a foe inherently stronger, inherently faster, inherently /better/ than he is in the field of combat. Demons- an Insult to humanity, to all the mortal races by their very existence; by their wretched strength, by their damnable ways, and by their black and vile magic. He flows without thought- each movement flowing from the last, the long and runic Nodachi within his hands twisting and shifting to meet the demons strikes from the sides- he stands before it, seemingly attacking head on... and yet.

When the demon moves to strike him- he lashes with his blades edge for the side of it's fist or arm, merely grateful it is unarmed, as he plays on the reach afforded by his long weapon to fight... surprisingly defensively, for a hate-driven fanatic facing down the absolute embodiment of all he detests most in this world- but it is a defense meant to cause harm and pain. He knows the foe is unnatural- that bleeding it out will likely avail him little... but still- each strike to it is another chance to create an opening, as he pushes his body to it's limits.

He begins a soft verse, under his breath- praying as he moves, a solemn vow. "And so my Vow is my soul... my oath my sword. I dwell in shadow, waiting for the beasts that call it truer home." He begins the prayer, as his silvery etched blade flashes with a grand alacrity- and his focus is devoted solely to the task... of dancing with his blade, against the Demon's fists and spells.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maggie sighs. She hadn't really expected an answer - indeed, she had only Dina's word that there was something out there to answer her, not that she doubted the girl. All the same, it seems the attempt had raised her hopes more than she had expected, given the disappointment she now felt. No time for that now. Focus on what's here, and on my friends. "Go, and be safe, Laurolf!" she calls after the dwarf. She is rather torn between staying and moving up herself. Lacking the martial skill of her friends, she might be just another target. Then again, if any of the demon's blows connect, her healing miracles will be needed. Wavering, indecisive, she remains where she is for the present.

Even had Battojutsu not told the party of his profession, the sheer skill and grace with which he executed his attacks thus far, combined with unrelenting bravery in the face of a foe that most people will never see in their lives, is enough to betray that he does this kind of thing on a regular basis. The Westerner deals several light wounds to the demon while managing to avoid being hit all the while, much to the demon's dismay.

Meric is not so fortunate, however. Despite his unbelievable skill with weapons, this is a foe he has never faced before. His reactions are just a heartbeat too slow, his reflexes one step behind... Enough for Nemar to take advantage of, which he does by eventually succeeding to get around the elf's blade and slashing him straight on with his clawed hands. Meric is sent flying back to hit the ground, his weapon discarded out of his reach.

The only reason why the demon can't finish the job is the demon hunter standing defiantly in his way. Nemar snarls like a wild beast at him, but Battojutsu knows well that behind those angry eyes lies the same hidden fear that he has found in all demons he encountered so far: The fear of the blades he carries which are inscribed with anti-demonic runes. The several wounds dealt to Nemar would be nothing but scratches if made with any lesser weapon.

But Laurolf doesn't know or care about any of that as he descends upon the demon with a dwarven battlecry, launching an attack that would cleave most things in half. But not a powerful demon, for Nemar succeeds in redirecting him aside. Between that and getting grabbed by Valtieri's stubborn guardian again, the demon is more open to attack than ever before.

Battojutsu Honda

Demon Slayer of the West

Battojutsu moves smoothly as the battle continues, concluding his prayer as he stands in between the Demon, and his fallen comrades. They are not the same as the brother's he lost when he came to this land- not the same as the glorious legions of the Holy Emperor who he once served beside.. but they stand beside him against a Demon- a Greater Fiend of Dark Evil... and that is enough for him a thousand times over, as his blade flashes in and out in the defensive style- pressing into that opening to widen it, to press the arms wider and then.... he speaks on, as his prayer finishes.

"We Strike the beasts down... and make them know our names... for this is our earth, not theirs!" His short verse concludes- a small smattering of prayer, meant for battle... as he keeps the dance going, and speaks on- in a louder voice, clear and strong despite the exertations of his body, which is itself being strained to nearing his limits; as he almost causes himself pain with each movement that meets the demons strikes.

"Allies! This foe- I know it's kind; This is one of the Greater Demons of the Enemy; A Fiend of Fire and Physical Force! Our only advantage is numbers, and the solidarity of the Mortal Races; we must strike at it together, as one- or we will fall! It's strong, but alone- and we are not alone!" He booms onto the field- drawing on past experience, as he focuses his own efforts on using his strength and speed to force openings in the demons guard- Openings he doesn't have the ability to exploit... but which he hopes those fighting besides him will. He makes sure to parry it's guard open wide, to keep it's focus /on him/. He grins at it in response as he moves and dances with it.

Seeing what she had feared now coming to pass, Maggie dashes forward, nearly into the combat area. Falling to her knees beside the wounded Meric, she murmurs a prayer as she moves her hands over his injuries, willing them to close with the casting of her Heal miracle. She trusts to the others to keep the pair of them safe, focusing all her attention on Meric and his injuries. If there is time (i.e., if Meric doesn't just grab his sword and run back into battle), she will also set a Divine Shield miracle on him.

Maggie's healing powers make good work of Meric's injuries, but it immediately becomes apparent that the shadow elf won't be just grabbing his sword and running back into battle that soon. He took a serious blow that will take some recovery even after the help of a healing miracle. The divine shield is thus quite welcome in his present state.

The demon seems as unimpressed with Battojutsu's threats as he is with Laurolf's savage attack move. However the critical blow that Battojutsu lands, timed perfectly with the opening created by Valtieri's guardian, is likely more than the demon anticipated before the fight began. Nemar thrashes violently, knocking back the golem and Laurolf. The dwarf toughs it out, and if he required any help from Maggie at that point he did not show it. The demon's already flaming eyes seem to burn with greater intensity as he stomps the ground, causing everyone around to at least briefly lose their footing, then he faces the undead golem and takes his wrath out on it. With a series of fiery blows Nemar tears apart bone and metal, finally tossing the construct into the pool of lava from which he himself rose. What is left of the undead quickly melts away and Valtieri feels the link between them severed.

"I hope that wasn't your best card." Nemar growls, then launches himself at Battojutsu in a frenzy of fire.

The very ground quaking beneath her from the demon's mighty steps, Maggie puts out a hand to keep from falling (despite being on her knees already). She glances around, assessing the damage to her friends, but Laurolf's show of toughness leaves her thinking him unharmed. Her eyes widen as the demon tears apart the poor golem and leaves it to melt - and widen further when the demon throws himself at Battojutsu. Pushing herself to her feet, she takes the few steps needed and flings her arm out to her endangered friend. "Maker shield you!" she cries, willing that golden light to appear around not only Battojutsu, but anyone else within range.*

*I'm guessing that's Meric, Laurolf, and Maggie herself at this point. Great Divine Shield, that is.

Vittorio Valtieri

I should buy a crossbow, Valtieri thinks, and seriously considers packing this whole Necromancy thing in to take up teaching. He hides behind the nearest cover, even if that happens to be a bigger member of the party, and hopes the demon hunter can pull them through this nightmare.

Battojutsu Honda

Demon Slayer of the West

And this is where Battojutsu feels, the Demon has made a mistake. It turns from him to fling aside the Golem- lifting the undead horror bodily to cast it into the Lava... and a grim smile spreads on his lips. It turns from him- not for long, true. Indeed- a moment later it is barreling back down at him, flame and claws alive. However- for that brief moment.. it's back, is bared to him. For a moment, it takes it's eyes of it's most dangerous threat of the battle.

It makes a mistake- a mistake of arrogance, as demons of true power are wont to do. He grins- as he crouches for a moment, bracing himself against the ground. He moves- the stomp unsettles him, but he see's the foot about to hit the ground, and steels himself as the stomp comes- charging in the brief moment. His brief chance. The Nodachi is a weapon he often favors- but is not the weapon he is most skilled with. Like all the weapons he carries save his Katana, it has no value to him beyond as a tool to kill.

It is not the weapon with which he practices the art for which he was named, after all. Battojutsu- also known as Iajutsu. He was named for it, by parents who wished for it to be a kind of blessing. It provided no unnatural gift, no godly boon- but it did provide him motivation. And their wish carried through much of his life, as he trained extensively in the swordsmanship styles that involved it. With the Nodachi, he relies on instinct. His strength, his speed, his skill... he moves....

As the demon turns, he angles the Nodachi low to stab into it's heel with the Nodachi- before letting go of the blade, to let his hand fall to his side, to his hip.

To the sheathed Katana, waiting to be drawn like Lightning. The Nodachi, can match a Demon's blows- the mass of steel, and the integrity of the weapon, allows him to parry blows from the much larger foe. The Katana? It is smaller- the size of a bastard sword... but it is sharper.. and faster. He moves- and as it turns, to return to attacking him.. he waits from within it's guard- his goal clear... as he intends to draw and strike, a fluid moment of perfection as he feeds his entire world into a flame, which burns away in a void. A single moment of fluid, perfect, action.

Zen, and the art of Iajutsu.

He draws and strikes- his intent to deliver as damaging a blow as possible in retribution for this mistake, with the Nodachi discarded into it's heel as mere distraction.

With the timely aid from Maggie in the form of a divine shield, Battojutsu's namesake technique drives him forward and he successfully interrupts the demon's attempt to charge. His nodachi greatsword is left sticking grotesquely out of Nemar's leg while his flesh sears and smokes because of the unending contact with a demonhunter's runed blade. The painful surprise still scars Nemar's face when Battojutsu's other sword, his trusty katana, finds its way halfway up his chest.

What follows is likely the single most terrifying sight anyone gathered has ever seen in their lives, except maybe the demon slayer. Nemar lets out a blood-chilling shriek and literally combusts into flames in a violent explosion that holds all the glory of a greater demon driven to the end. Being the closest, Battojutsu takes the full force of the impact, and with no divine shield to save him in time... He is sent flying through the air, well past Maggie and Meric, luckily away from the lava pool which also erupts for seemingly no reason, spitting out projectiles of molten rock in its immediate vicinity. Only Laurolf is threatened by it, and the dwarf hastily retreats cursing. When the westerner falls down he does not move. The intensity of the explosion leaves him barely conscious, barring other injuries.

The demon still stands, however. He roars fiercely, looks at his fallen assailant and then notices the nodachi on the ground. Nemar madly stomps the sword, beating it into the ground until magma cracks appear around it. Then he spots Maggie next to Meric on the ground, unprotected. Easy prey. He starts charging.

Violet starts drawing and firing arrows. A'kal starts running, reaching for his chronomancy for extra speed. But the demon doesn't go where expected. Instead he jumps in a long arc, dashing over the priestess and shadow elf to land next to his paralyzed nemesis. He grins over Battojutsu who can see his katana still lodged deep in his chest, clearly causing pulses of searing pain to the demon but having missed the heart it is not enough to drop him just yet. "Mortal scum... To fall at the hands of one such as yourself." he says in a slow, rough voice edged with hurt. Judging from the streams of black blood flowing down his hulking form, it is likely that this greater demon is dying already, he is just taking too long to succumb to his wounds. He does not seem to care at all about leaving Maggie and Meric directly behind his back. So blind is his thirst for vengeance. Then he lowers himself down on one knee. "Curse you and your blade, I'm taking you both with me."

By now the fog had lifted completely, allowing clear vision directly upwards into the bright noon sky. The forest still burns all around the battlefield, filling the air with smoke and the scent of charcoal. Still lying down but looking well, Meric tugs on Maggie's sleeve. "My sword... Maggie, my sword... It's the blade Henvei found at an underground vault, before." he presents an unusual, ancient looking but well preserved longsword with runes etched along the surface of the blade. He half-whispers the other part: "Maggie... It is of Hellguard make. Raziel himself acknowledged it." The shadow elf nudges the weapon into the priestess' hand and nods hurriedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back