Chapter One - Conflagration

The councilmen started arguing as immediately as they — the witnesses, including him — gave their respective accounts. In all seriousness, Erik expected this to happen; few believed in the supernatural. Of course, he himself was rather sceptical too, but the incident, and the ones following it, shook up this very practicality. Erik listened briefly to the continuous conversation between the councilmen, to and fro from one point to another; trying to digest the information that passed around. It proved to be quite useless, as they were oblivious to both his lingering gaze of utter disappointment, and his attempts to listen properly. Erik thought, if one really couldn't render the men calm, one might as well join it. He prepared himself to jump into the argument, possibly rambling like a rabid bat, that was, until he felt a sudden gust of air behind; minor, but chilly. The breeze slowly increased, and increased, and yet again, increased. From what was once just some lacklustre air, it turned into a forceful gale. The weary old man was almost bought to his equally weary old butt, although his hands — which were also equally weary and old — were still reactive enough to save the day, which diligently held on to the door like any good pair of hands. Parchments, dust, trinkets; all of them, flew around helplessly — manipulated by the sudden rush of air. 'Tis was shame that Erik's couldn't properly process the situation, for he was, ultimately, stunned. 

Yet, soon afterwards, as the wind came with so great a gusto, so did it go with an equally baffling disappearance; sudden in nature. He opened his eyes, removing his hands — held in a subconsciously defensive manner, so as to protect his face from the light debris — from his face, only for said eyes to be greeted by the sudden appearance of a man — to be certain, it wasn't all that much of a sudden appearance, it was just that he was there. Quite obviously, he came with the wind. He said something, or perhaps mumbled something; something that Erik couldn't possibly make out without added assistance, as his mind was running out of any plausible explanation for all these events that advocated pure, unfiltered madness. Erik was, more or less, thoroughly dumbstruck. It shouldn't have been a surprise that he should be unsurprised, however it was a surprise that he was surprised, surprisingly. Unsurprisingly, he was left unable to speak. The way the councilmen were acting in front of the stranger — was all questionable and stuff — struck Erik as somewhat odd. Did that really mean that they knew this guy? Erik, however, decided that he should best remain mentally inert, and avoid a psychological overload. Despite this certain resolution, his attempts to remain neutral were hindered by the man, the stranger, — Erik decided to aptly give him the title of 'windrunner' — who decided to start speaking. Words that belong only to the mouths of a lunatic; words that weren't enough to satisfy his mind - which, at the moment, was trying its best to remain inert. Who the hell is Ivros? Exactly why is he the protector?

Of course, nothing made sense to Erik, and probably never will.

One question, one answer. Limitless possibilities; some painfully odd, others delightfully shimmering with boredom. It was a tall promise, in only the most boisterous manner. That was the only thing that struck a fair chord in Erik's confused mind. Nevertheless, his retreat to neutrality was further obstructed by the man, when he started touching the others around, who were similarly speechless, and whom upon being touched, responded with shock and utter surprise, as if they were bestowed with a great revelation. Something was definitely going on. Something that Erik himself was oblivious about. Still, he couldn't have possibly done anything as his turn came. He was, after all, dumbfounded. He brushed his head, taking off a loose piece of parchment in the process — it was the only physical action he could do at that precise moment.

In an instance — so quick it was that he couldn't react properly, although he was still very sluggish — he was touched by Ivros, who of course, had telepathic abilities too. Why wouldn't he? Erik acknowledged his disembodied mind-voice — which spoke in a most cryptic manner — diligently standing there although slightly taken aback by the act of telepathy, his face twisting into one of confusion, rather than the previous nothingness. As the last words echoed through his head, a sudden burst of newfound energy rushed into his body; filling it with what he could into describe as a certain lightness, as if all his burdens were lifted out in almost an instance, the mental ones at the very least. It was a subtle yet powerful moment, that Erik could feel, as if he was only momentarily floating in the air; so light, too light. Still, he was pushed back — not by mere physical force, but by the mental pressure it gave him — his face shifting from an expression of confusion, to that of simple shock. His heart was racing, and so was his pulse. Despite the cool weather, he was sweating; his mind being filled to the brim with an uneasy combination of surprise, excitement and anxiety. His breathing was sporadic, and brief in nature, but he could strongly feel his anxiety going away with each respective acts of breathing. Negativity suddenly became wholly non-existent to him, however, the pain remained. Nostalgia still remained, but in the form of disdain, hate and strife. He still remembered everything, and yet it was all still coming back to him again. It was just really strange.

He was given a gift all right, and he even got bare gist of it; however, only one question remained: what was he going to do with it? What purpose was it to serve in his weary life? He was a simple farmer, and a simple, humble farmer was what he wanted to be. Yet, the days of his career as a warrior repeatedly came back to him; haunting him like a forgotten ghost waiting to be recognized. He waited — mumbling some inaudible curses in the meantime. He was thinking; thinking really carefully of exactly how he was going to cash in those questions. Everything became a blur; only the thoughts remained.

After much thinking, Erik finally came to a conclusion. He regained his focus, shifting it towards the stranger, Ivros, before proceeding to speak.

"Two paths lie before me. That I know well; that you descri-"

He was interrupted by a girl; he didn't see her beforehand. He cashed in her respective question in only the most reasonable. It made Erik snap back into his senses.

"Girl's talking all right. Gods don't answer questions. Gods give questions. Are you a grifter?" Erik reverted back to his old self, as he questioned the so-called Ivros.

@Huey

Last edited by a moderator:

"Two choices but none clear. To avenge you must kill more than just the body. Kill the being." Aspen hadn't spoken but Ivros could imagine what she had thought.This was the closest statement he could make to actually telling the future to a mortal. His image fizzled out of her view if she had looked back to him.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ivros warmed from Howie's statements. His face showed the brightness of a father watching a child walk for the first time. "Arthur is dependable in more ways than you can imagine. You won't be seeing him anytime soon Honeyglow..." Ivros' face went blank again. "If you choose correctly." His image popped, disappearing from Howie's view.

Ivros smiled at the two starkly different Humans. One giant and one meek 

"So different yet so alike. So much going through your minds and yet your question is shared and unlike your thoughts." Ivros walked toward them with the smile still present.

"We Gods have been removed from the world for a long time. I offer the questions because you all are very important to the future of Hudol and the rest of the universe. This is your chance to prepare for your immediate future." Ivros winked at Lexis before turning Eric.

"I am many and more things. One thing I am not is a deceiver." Ivros backed off and nodded to them both.

"Keep them grounded or they will fly with the wind."

Eyes could be felt on each person, the presence of energies unknown as they interacted with Ivros the Protector. Even as he vanished from their sight after answering their questions they could still feel the presence of something greater than they were. Yet after the questions ended they could feel another strong breeze, one that flushed through them all. It caused them all to shield their eyes as it hit.

As the wind stopped, everyone could feel weight on their feet. As they looked down there were olive drag backpacks resting on their toes. They used but not torn. The bags were empty.

OOC

The packs seem ordinary. More could be discovered with use. Or you can throw them away.

There is now nothing stopping you from running away or going on the journey. The choice is yours

Ever wary of the presence that still seemed to be with them, Briar kept her head bowed. Her mind was racing, she jumped from her terrified brother to her living father, an settled on Ivros's cryptic words. 

The only thing she knew for certain was that she had to save Jasper at all costs. But she also knew she had a part to play in this quest Ivros had given them, and she was bound by her faith to do what she could. She swallowed hard. "I'll be there soon jasper...just wait for me..." she sighed. 

As the wind picked up again Briar had to fight to keep her hair out of her eyes, she didn't even register the weight on her feet until she had it straightened back out. Looking down and seeing the packs, she leaned over and picked it up. It was worn, but seemed study enough. even if it had been tattered and full of holes Briar would've taken it, as it was a gift from the gods. 

she fished through the pockets, finding the pack was empty Briar tossed it over her shoulder and held it by a strap. 

she'd do the bidding of the gods, and after that was taken care of, she would seek out her family. She could only hope that jasper would hold out until she found him. 

Nothing in this cruel world had ever made Beish feel as confused as he was then. He felt afraid, angry, and yet exhilarated all at the same time. He longed to be out in the wild, doing what he did best. But then he wanted to go to his father, to curl up in his arms and forget that this had ever happened. Which was stronger? Beish could not tell. Ivros was torturing him, and he could not think straight. 

As yet more words filled his mind, Beish groaned in nonexistent pain and put and hand to his head, as well as stepping back and finally leaning against the door.

"You are brave, faithful of the Betrayer. Your God was once the leader of the Kurator. You are a mislead cub, Beish the mapmaker. Beish the secretive. Strengthen your resolve and come to the Cave of Hrez for your answers... And what your God has taken from you."

"Stop... Stop it! Go away!" Beish swatted a hand out and but Ivros was gone. He would look insane to all others, he knew, but he didn't care at the moment. The man felt his heart race, pumping through his body a rush of adrenaline. He realized that he wanted to do something to get rid of this feeling of hopelessness and excitement. But what could he do?

The Cave of Hrez... Beish knew where it was, but it meant nothing to him. And yet, part of him wanted to do what Ivros had said, to see what was in store for him. Could answers be there? If he went there, would he be at peace? There was really only one way to know.

Beish realized then that his religious views were becoming muddled. That man had called Satu a "betrayer," that he had taken something from him. What? How could this be? Was this a test? It could not be. Ivros had been real; he was no illusion.What could he believe? Beish once again felt anger boil up within himself, but was unsure of who it was against? Himself?

Ivros?

...Satu?

The wind picked up for one last time, and Beish closed his eyes tightly, letting the fresh air sweep his thoughts into oblivion. He needed to look at this from a fresh angle. As the breeze died down, the man could feel a weight on his feet. Looking down, he was surprised to see a dull green pack resting on his boots. He picked it up easily enough, for it was light and empty. 

Action was needed. Beish knew what he needed to do, even if it did not satisfy him. Uncertainty still left a scent in the air, and the man knew that his questions might not be answered if he did what Ivros has said. But he could not wait for something to happen. 

Looking up with eyes that had grown red from tears, Beish spoke. "Answers are needed. No force on earth could stop me from finding them." The man closed his mouth tightly, stopping his lip from trembling. This was so unlike him, but then again, it had been an odd day.

There existed men who connected dots for a living. Erik certainly wasn't one of them.

Ivros words did the exact opposite of assuring him; he was perturbed, confused to no ends. It did somewhat feel like staring . He felt like wrangling Ivros right there and right then, to put an end to all these madness. Yet, deep down, he knew he was doing something right by listening. For once in his life, he felt like he was doing something right other than harvesting onions.

Then he realized: He wasted his answer on some dang, shitty metaphorical mumbo jumbo. The hell it counted.

His veins were pulsing, his heart was throbbing, his hands subconsciously curled up into fists. There was viciousness in his face, as a lopsided, crazy grin formed on his face. To his dismay, Ivros was gone away. Or perhaps, not? There, in Ivros' stead, lay a couple of bags the colour of olives. His face skewed into one of shock? Did that Ivros expect him to wear the transformed Ivros? He was awestruck, and he couldn't help but talk. His grin faded away, along with the more bolder signs of anger.

"That? He expects me to wear that?" Erik muttered, to no one in particular. His tone was a bit acidic; his anger refused to let go, and so, stayed subtly. He looked at Doe, who was now very clearly freaking out. Perhaps, he went stir-crazy for staying indoors for too long a duration. His sword and his scabbard fell on the floor quite a long time ago. He picked them up, before proceeding to gingerly rub the flat side of his blade. He loved his sword, even if it bought him a bit of misery sometimes. He stared at Doe, who in a state of panicking, declared a sudden animosity towards the rest of the people. It didn't please Erik, who now advanced towards him.

"You ain't going anywhere, pal." Evidently, he tried his best to not sound sketchy, but he sounded sketchy — was in his blood. His wavered around his sword's handle; it was habitual, not that everyone would understand. His face exhibited signs of lethal seriousness — so serious, it has chances of lowering morale — even if he didn't mean it. 

@Handabooo

Aspen looked around wondering where irvos had gone. She understood better now, but where would she find this thing she had to kill? She placed her hand upon the hilt of her sword. The feel of the familiar metal comforting her. Her eyes became misty as her mind wandered elsewhere again. 

Aspen snapped o it of her daze, watching beish. She felt curious about him. What was his story, his fears etc. Though, she often felt these curiosities biting her mind. But she forgot that staring was rude and continued watching him. 

She had came here for answers yet she had asked no questions, though, this was how she normally learned. She waited for somebody else to ask and then she listened. Or she taught herself. But she listened to the questions and answers, her gaze not leaving Beish.

@Handabooo

Trying her best to compose herself, Darla lets go of Carmichael, leaving her husband's embrace. She looks out at the people gathered before her, smiling warmly despite her misty eyes. She observes each emotion displayed on those gathered in the long house, trying to decide how to best address the crowd, but is surprised when she sees Carmichael take initiative.  "Those of you gathered here today, please settle down and listen to my words." Patiently and with calm resolve, the man waits until all eyes are on him. "We have witnessed a holy phenomenon greater than anything I've ever experienced in my life as a priest. I think it is fair to say that the message is clear. You all have been chosen to travel to the Cave of Herz and awaken the gods. Of course we can not force you to do this, but we would be indebted to you if you did. You would be restoring balance to this world and finally setting things right. I know this may be confusing to some of you. Others might even be scared or...  well, some of you may even be angry."  Carmichael looks to Beish knowingly. "But what ever you're feeling, you all have a road ahead of you with a fork in the middle. One path is the path of inaction, the other is the path of heroism. What ever you chose is ultimately up to you, but you have my blessing and my prayers." The priest looks around to his fellow council members. "What say you?"

Derek looks around the room stoically and nods. "There is no other choice. You have my blessing and my prayers"  

Manfred looks a little surprised at Derek. For some reason he had found himself half expecting the man to still be opposed to these strangers going to such a holy place. He shakes his head and grins. "Yeah, yeah. You have blessing and my prayers."

Thomas laughs and claps his hands together. "It's really not for me to decide, but in my opinion I believe you all have been chosen. That path is yours. You have my blessing and my prayers"

Darla nods in agreement. "I see no other option. The fate of this world rests on their shoulders. You have my blessing and my prayers." Darla turns her head, looking directly at Lexis with a sad smile on her face. "I'm afraid that means you too my dear. It seems Ivros has chosen you to go as well. The choice is yours. there will be many dangers along the way, but I believe in you. You will be a part of history. You will  experience so-something no other l-lore keeper has been able to ex-experience." Darla's eyes begin to well up once more and he voice cracks as she struggles to keep her Composure. She rushes from her podium, faster than one would expect from an old women, and sweeps Lexis into a hug. "Oh my dear Lexis. I don't want to see you go, but I know it is your destiny. The choice is yours." Darla pulls away from the sudden embrace, keeping her hands on the young girls shoulders. She looks deep into her apprentice's... no, her daughter's eyes and reminisces their times together as if trying to hold on to each memory like a starving man does his bread. Though she wouldn't say it, she knew this might be the last time she saw Lexis. Her Lexis.

That's when Manfred spoke up, a playful grin on his face. "Don't worry Darla, Howie will look after her. I'm sure he'd be happy to do that for you in fact" 

Howie, who had been examining one of the bags for the past few minutes, shoots up to his feet, a look of genuine anger on his face. He marches up to Manfred. "Excuse me? Do not force me into this! You and I still got our god damned jobs to do! You think the Kramer's roof is gonna re-shingle itself? I ain't goin'! I don't care if I've been "chosen", this ain't my place." Manfred laughs in response, a little perturbed by the visceral reaction Howie had just displayed but not letting it show. "Oh come on! This is a once in a life time chance! How could you possibly refuse that?" Manfred leans in a little and whispers in Howie's ear. "And besides, you look like you probably have the most combat experience in this room along with that huntress lady. They need you."

A glare filled with killing intent was aimed straight at Manfred. The man would probably have been rather uncomfortable by the stare had he not been Howie's friend for so long. "How long is the journey?"

"One to two weeks at the worst." There is a long silence between the two men before Howie lets out a long sigh. "Fine, I'll do it. But this town better not be broke by the time I get back." 

A chuckle escapes Manfred's lips. "Alright friend. It's a deal."

Howie takes one of the bags and heads for the doors before looking back at the group gathered. Each of them looked equally as confused as Howie felt. "Anyone else joining me on this stupid adventure can meet me by the northern road. I'm going to collect my things before then. If anyone is there and I'm not, that means I left your sorry ass behind, so make your goodbyes quick." And with those last words Howie steps out of the longhouse and walks to his home just out side the village limits.

@Handabooo (Handaboo*) @Elephantom @slayerslade666 @Angel_cassieopia @YanaAi @Huey     

Erik was just about to lunge towards Doe, when he — and the rest of the people he accompanied — were interrupted by the previously silent councilmen; Erik had been momentarily fooled that their frigid existence were null, uncannily obsolete. He was, to his great astonishment, hoodwinked. He squinted his eyes, shortening them to a pair of two, tiny slits; it reeked of contempt and enmity. Lectures were the last thing he needed, blessings moreover, was a phony subject made by the town scribe as an exaggerated jest. Erik tried his best to swiftly intercept their speech and derail it, but the councillors spat out words after words that both left no openings, and made no reasonable sense; Erik certainly wasn't the most careful listener, and as such, he made out only the barest of their statements, which probably went something along the lines of 'blessings, chosen' and 'cave à la Herz' — Erik wasn't really that big on trekking, but he was sure he heard it somewhere. Somewhere unreliable, he automatically presumed.

"Good, we're militiamen now, aren't we? Sent off on a stellar pursuit to go to a distant land, and gift this place with another epoch of peace. Brilliant, I say! Brilliant." Erik quietly observed, with unhinged sarcasm; his accent was almost always a distinct hybrid of country and city drawl, always a bit slurred. He looked at one of the girls, a hooded one; she seemed to receive a bit of an extra attention from the illusive Darla. Erik was intrigued, something was going on. He made it a point to investigate it later on. They'd meet at some point.

Not long afterwards, one of the men quickly decided to go off on his own, probably to pursue the objective strictly on his own accord. Erik could probably sense that he too, felt nauseating in this outright unnerving environment. The abhorrence meter was cranked up to its peak.

Erik stared at the direction the fleeing guy went off to, who seemingly revealed his location in a state of dull anger over not getting to re-shingle a random house's roof, possibly without proper consent from the owner. The man eventually went away, flustered by the incident. Erik returned his gaze towards the rest of the people still in the building, before looking down upon the bags. It lay undisturbed on the floor, peaceful and tranquil. Erik knew that them bags had a more ulterior motive than carrying stuff.

Was Ivros' sole embodiment a couple of olive-coloured bags?

Erik grabbed one of them, prudently examining the bag with his hands. It had a fairly smooth surface; one might mistake it for the newer designer bags that so went around circulation around time. In fact, Erik could even bet on it; communal property became something of a boom after those bags hit the streets. It was firm and rugged, that Erik could feel. He carefully slung the bag over his shoulder, before turning his focus towards the rest of the people in the building. This affair was getting impossibly tedious.

"I'm not stayin' here anymore, folks." He hissed, his voice more subtle than ever, a sharp difference from his earlier more louder tone. He advanced towards the door — taking one last, wary glance towards the councilmen — before entering the outside world yet again. The times he made transitions from indoors to outdoors were simply countless.

It was nice to be back on the field again, the air was refreshingly chilly. The village ambience remained undisturbed. He observed the sun — it was intensely glaring — realizing that it wasn't dawn anymore. Time had passed quickly, much to Erik's dismay.

He quickly proceeded to plot his next move, thoughtfully putting a hand to his chin in the process; he needed supplies first, good supplies. He was going to outlive the other competitors, and he was going to figure out this whole conundrum, and he needed resources for that. Fair resources. As they used to say in the old trekking days, preparation is the first and foremost tool needed in cave-diving and spelunking survival. He went to the nearest possible store: the hardware dealer, or otherwise known as, the blacksmith.

It was a small building, wedged between the trading post, and the local stonesmith. It was made of furnished stones all neatly placed and reinforced with wood. The roof was flat, unlike the other buildings. Age had obviously taken its toll on the building; some of the rocks were covered with moss, and the woods were partially rotten, nearly on verge of breaking down. The insides of the building were more cleaner than the outside, all neatly furnished. 

From there, he acquired a small, one-handed pick-axe just in case he needed to do some quick mining. It was fairly light, and after a couple of tests on a stray rock, he discovered it was reliable too. He bought it for a mere couple of copper coins, but only by some hard haggling. He then proceeded to peruse through a selection of fine daggers, before finally deciding upon the cheapest one. A straightforward, pull-no-punches dagger lacking in any and all frills. One could easily guess that its only purpose was stabbing organics. He bought it for just about a single sliver of silver, which faintly resembled a coin at its best. As he left, he could clearly hear a grumble emanating from behind his back.

He then advanced towards the farmer's market; hoping that there was at least one guy who was still selling food. He found only one seller, the olive farmer, who still had plenty of fresh olives left to sell. Erik bought two handfuls of them, before packing then tightly into that olive bag of his.

And afterwards, he went to the leathersmith. It shared similar appearance with the blacksmith's shop. He hastily purchased a belt to hold his scabbard, and then a tight, leather water satchel — which he later filled with water. Leaving satisfied, he promptly advanced towards where Howie had pointed to. He noted the quickness of this endeavour; it only took him about less than ten minutes. On the way, he took his horse. Horse was faster than walking, especially when you have only one good leg.

After a bit of riding here, and a bit of riding there, Erik finally reached that place. He promptly proceeded to look for Howie, doing exactly as he directed. That is, a cautious rendezvous in the northern road, with all the needed cave-crawling equipments.

@Throne Trinity

Briar could only remember one other time she'd felt as confused, excited and anxious as she did in this moment. In the days before her final confrontation with her father, she'd felt similarly. Then it had been about survival, her fight or flight instinct was screaming for her to fight.

Now, she felt compelled to travel to the Cave of Herz and awaken the gods...whatever that entailed, Briar was willing to lay her life down to do it. Along the way, she hoped she could find answers, and her missing blood sibling, as well as the father who'd tormented her for so long.

taking a breath, Briar looked around at the group who had been chosen. She recognized Beish, as well as the woman she'd spoken to prior to coming to the longhouse. That hulking farmer was here as well, and he seemed to have a quarrel with Beish. 

Briar sighed as the man advanced on the skinnier man, infighting was not going to get them anywhere...

As the council members expressed their blessings, Briar moved between Beish and the giant man, looking up at him she spoke. ""...We all have answers, and we're all a bit frazzled at the moment and threatening and fighting each other isn't going to get us anywhere..." reflexively, she rested a hand on her sword's hilt, on the off chance this guy swung at her. 

Though the farmer was twice her side and infinitely stronger, there was no fear in Briar's expression or tone, she stared up at him with one calm, dark green eye. 

"...So let's just calm down...go home, gather ourselves and meet up later at the northern road, as the carpenter suggested..."

@Handabooo  @Elephantom

Lexis' gaze momentarily shifted to the towering man who seconded her question. Although it was rather impudent to brand the god as a fraud, the apprentice agreed that they had ample reason to believe so. She turned to face Ivros as he approached and felt apprehensive of the enigmatic grin on the god's face. As might be expected, his answer proved to be as baffling as his arrival. It did not quench the curiosity that had bloomed within her during the events that unfolded.

Further clarification will have to wait as the god vanished from their midst and Lexis shielded herself from the subsequent gale. A weight against her feet brought her sights downward and she gingerly prodded the worn-out pack with her foot. What did an empty satchel signify? Was this yet another enigma left by Ivros?

Lexis decided to worry about the item and its significance afterwards as the council began to speak. Recovering from their previous skepticism and disagreement, they had each expressed their blessings and requests for the now named Chosen Ones. It had dawned on her at Darla's words that yes, she was indeed one of them. As an heiress to the world's lore, she was perfectly aware that the day was a turning point in the history of Hudol, to be penned by scribes to be and told by fated bards. She couldn't help but see the irony of being part of something she would read in times to come, provided that her life is kept by the foretold end. Emotions she would rather not name welled within her at the foreboding thought, heightened by the embrace that the teacher - nay, her mother - held her in.

They were chosen already, so was there a point to even choose otherwise? The tomes she had grown up with told of destinies woven by the gods, that the choices we made were all influenced by the deities. Would it be wise to simply uphold their end of the piece or rebel until there was no choice but to yield?

Lexis looked back into Darla's eyes and saw her despair reflected in her gaze. She had finally found her place here, as a surrogate child even more than an apprentice, and leaving the quiet life she had been gifted with was one she'd rather not do. But the words of Ivros lay heavy in her consciousness, and if this journey was as important as keeping this family safe...

Her hand reached out to hold the teacher's, grasping it firmly as if to never let go with a sad smile on her lips. "I will be all right," she spoke softly, hoping those words were enough to assure the lore keeper more than it did herself. "I will return and tell of this journey, and we shall have another lore to keep."

She did not fail to catch the words that the carpenter left them with. The man was trusted by the elders, she knew, and that was enough for her to consider his accompaniment. "I will head to the abode and prepare for the north gate."

@Throne Trinity

Moving at a brisk jog, Howie managed to get to his house in just a couple minutes. Although the village of Lagna was minuscule compared to the cities north of the mountains, his house was outside the village limits which meant it took longer to reach. Secluded from everyone else, just how Howie liked it. The house was small but well constructed. He had been the one to erect it after all, so the work was quality. On the inside furnishings were sparse, only the necessities were included. Although it was clean and well kept, the house was empty and lonely, lacking any sort of woman's touch. 

Inside the bedroom of Howie's quaint abode, there was a pack at the foot of his bed. In it there was a bedroll, a water canteen, a hatchet and a few other essentials. Howie always made sure this pack was well stocked just in case he needed to leave in a rush. The carpenter had always been ready to depart from this place in an instant, but thus far he had not been given a reason to do so. And despite taking this pack now, Howie did plan to return to Lagna. He didn't care what happened on the road to this "Cave of Herz" , he was coming back here. He had worked hard establishing himself as a respected carpenter here, and he wasn't about to waste that on some dumb ass prophecy.

With a heartfelt sigh Howie rolled up the olive knapsack in his hand and stuffed it into the pack he already had made. He then hoisted it up onto his back and adjusted the straps. A hand wanders down to his tool belt, unbuckling the leather straps and removing it from his person, he places it on the bed. Slowly he turns his back on the room and jogs out of the house and towards the north road. He managed to reach the road just as Erik had. Howie says nothing to the man, but gives a grunt and nods. The man was efficient, the carpenter would give him that much.

@Elephantom 

While the man hated to admit it, Beish had never really felt true danger until last night. And even then, he had forced himself to forget all about that feeling of looming death that had come so close to him. He had never really fought in his life, having had two older twins brothers that were nothing but kind to him. While he was somewhat of a tough person, he had never been physically tough. And because of this, the idea of a beast of a man almost threatening him scared him to the core.

This man, whose name still eluded Beish, had warned him not to go anywhere. Beish, who had turned to the door, now turned back around to see that the man had a sword at his side. And the man also looked trigger-happy. Not a good sign. It also didn't help that the man was a few inches taller than him, which made his presence all the more daunting.

Surely, there wouldn't be any trouble here, right? Beish looked the man up and down, dismayed to see that he was like a brick wall. He wasn't going to go down easily. There would be no way that Beish could get out of here unless the man let him. And the cartographer hated the idea that he was under someone else's control.

It was then that Beish realized that someone's eyes were on him. Looking over, he realized that the small, thin girl was staring at him. What was her name again? Oak? Elm? No, Aspen! That was it. Aspen. She was staring at him with a strange look on her face, as if she was looking right into his soul. Beish didn't like that at all. But he couldn't hold her gaze, and had to look away as the Council began to converse once more. They, too, knew that the Cave of Hrez was important, and that everyone who had been "chosen" would go. Then they began to say that all of them had their blessings and prayers, which was meaningless to Beish.

Could this be his chance? He needed to go, for he felt an itch that could not be satisfied by anything but the Cave. The giant man suddenly left, which gave Beish the chance to leave. But he waited for a moment as Briar made her way over, stating that they  needed to calm down and get to the northern road. "What, do we all have need to go to the Cave? Why don't we just invite the entire village?” snarled the man, his temper becoming quite short. “Fine. Go, let us partake of this quest. But it is not for the Council that I do this.”

Beish turned suddenly to the door and pushed his way out, making a beeline for his house. When he reached it, he closed the door behind him with a slam. A quiet groan escaped his lips, for reasons he could even tell. He was upset, and yet couldn't help his curiosity. He needed to go. But his father… With quiet footsteps, the man walked to his father’s bedroom, inside which the old man was sleeping peacefully. The sight calmed Beish, for it had been many nights since his father had been able to sleep without trouble. The man knew he needed to leave, but he was loathe to part from his father. He was so frail, so thin… His time on this world was coming to an end.

A sense of duty filled the breast of Beish. He would do this for his father. He knew others that could care for him in his absence, and Beish would do his best to hurry home. But now, time was being wasted. The man dove into his precious store of maps and supplies, pulling out an old parchment that would guide them. He took also a large, blank book  for writing in. Who knew, perhaps he could record their journey. It could even become a great work, in its own time.

Without thinking, Beish stuffed all this into a leather knapsack, as well as a compass, the other olive-colored pack, drawing tools, and his precious pack of cartography supplies. This pack he strapped to his belt, and the knapsack he threw over his shoulder. The man turned to leave his room, when he saw something out of the corner of his eye. His dagger sat upon the dresser, sharp and unused. With a sigh, Beish tucked it into his pack. Anything could happen.

Out of a closet, Beish drew out a long, dark blue cloak. It was worn, but not tattered. It would keep the rain off his head, and keep him warm during chilly nights. He also took out a large, smooth staff that was the height of his shoulder. This rod had been with him since the beginning of his career, and there would be no way that he would leave it here now.

Before he left, Beish entered his father's room once more to kneel beside the bed. The slight rising and falling of the old man's chest comforted Beish, and he leaned down to plant a soft kiss upon his forehead. He would return; this he promised.

As Beish left his house, that tingle of adventure returned to his spine. He knew that he could wait no longer, and that time was of the essence. Before he went on his way, however, he left a note to his neighbor, a kind old maid. It asked that she care for his father until he got back. As he made his way to the northern road, he passed the market and spent a few of his coins on food, which he stored inside of another leather bag, which he slung over his shoulder as well. While Beish could still feel sorrow on his soul, he felt there also joy as he walked. He had been used to walking long distances long ago, but that had been before he had returned home. But the soles of his feet hardened as he walked, and he finally caught sight of the road that led to the Cave.

Howie was already there, as well as, much to Beish's dismay, the tall man. He sent a nod to the former, but settled with a steely gaze towards the latter. That man was tough, to be sure. And, he had a horse, which was something Beish had not thought of. To tell the truth, Beish might have been under prepared. When he had gone on mapping expeditions, his partner, often a student, had packed everything necessary. And now that he had to depend upon himself, Beish knew things would not come easy. 

@Elephantom @Throne Trinity @Angel_cassieopia @slayerslade666

After things had calmed down some, Briar headed home to prepare as well. She didn't want to be left behind when the group departed, so she had to be quick

But that was easier said then done, when she walked through the door of her home, she was attacked.

"SISTER SISTER!" Avette and Aria cried out excitedly as they brought Briar to the floor. "We missed you!" Briar chuckled and pat the twin's head, both girls looked up at her with wide, excited eyes. They always were excited when briar came home, she told the best stories.

But there was no time for them today, as Briar got to her feet she flashed an apologetic smile to the girls. "I need to talk with mother, is she in?"

"Ask her yourself" came a voice from the kitchen. Avette and Aria giggled. 'We'll play later, right Rosie?" both girl grinned mischievously, using the nickname they knew Briar hated. Feigning rage, briar roared and chased the little girls out of the room, smiling, she headed to the kitchen to speak with her mother.

Briar's biological had been a strict, but caring woman, though she and Briar butted heads, briar never question that she loved her. To this day, there were certain traits and mannerisms that her mother had taught that briar retained, mainly, her constant habit of fixing and brushing her hair. A lady always had to look neat and put together after all.

The woman standing in the kitchen, hand washing the linen, was very much the opposite of that mentality. Dressed in a tattered and worn off whit dress, Karen was a woman who was not afraid to get dirty. She was once a proud warrior, and had taught nearly everything she knew in combat, but she gave that life up when she settled down and started a family. her eldest were out of the house, and the twins were experts at causing trouble. The family had taken her in when Briar had arrived in Lagna all those years ago, tired hungry, confused and in pain. They had been the kindest family Briar could ever hope for, as Karen faced her daughter, a warm smile came to her face.

Seeing it made Briar's smile fall, as the weight of her world threatened to come down on her again. Sensing something was wrong, Karen paused hr laundry duties and approached briar. She wrapped the woman in a hug and held her tight. "I can tell something happened..." Briar brought her arms up and hugged Karen back.

"I-I have to go mother...I have a quest..." Briar said in a soft voice as she pulled away. "the council have given me their blessings, I'm off to the Cave of Herz"

Karen's eyes filled with surprise, and worry. "...That is a dangerous journey my child..."

Briar nodded. "...i know, but I have to go, truths were revealed today Mother...my...my brother is alive...and so is my father..."

Karen's eyes grew dark, Briar had told her of her birth family, she knew how much her brother had meant to her. She also knew her father was a beast. "...I can see I can't stop you..." Karen sighed, and Briar laughed softly. "I'm afraid your right, but I'll come home soon, and I'll bring Jasper with me, he'd love the twins..."

Karen smiled and kissed briar on the forehead. "well, i suggest you gather your things. Before you go, make sure to say goodbye to the twins...and your father..." Briar nodded, hugged her mother one last time, before heading to her room and gathering her things. She packed her traveling cloak, flint steel, a small portion of rations, everything Briar could think of. She sharpened her sword, and took out a special gift that had been given to her by her late adopted father. it was his dagger, with a golden hilt and special engravings. He'd left it to her after his death, he'd told her it was only to be used in the most important of tasks. She figured it didn't get more important than this.

After a tearful goodbye with the twins, Briar stopped by the tree where her father was buried. Bowing her head, she prayed to the Kurator, and hoped that he was was watching her even now.

After a few minutes, she made her way to the northern road, and was surprised to see several people had already arrived including Beish, the carpenter and the farmer. Nodding at each of them in turn, Briar waited and double checked her pack to ensure she had everything. pulling out her cloak, she fastened it around her shoulders to free up more space. it was an emerald green color, with white vine designs along the edge, there was a rose pattern in the center, that matched the design on her eye patch. both had been gifts from her mother, wearing them brought comfort to Briar.

Rations, flint/ steel, water skin, a small used torch that had a few more uses left.  Briar smiled, confidant she had what she needed to make this journey. She'd spent her fair share of nights in the woods, so she had a vague idea of the sort of dangerous to expect.

Aspen wondered whether going on the adventure would help her or not. She went outside, the cool morning air refreshing after being inside for so long. She needed to get back to where she had left her bag. She headed in the direction of the hill slope where she had dropped it. And as she walked she spoke.

"What happens if I go?" She asked aloud. "Would I kill what needs to be killed? Would I die? What happens if I go? It's not like I have anywhere to be. Would I be unwanted or unwelcome?" Her mind spun but speaking aloud helped her.

She soon reached her bag and sat next to it, looking through it she found that some items were missing. She could not find some items such as a small pouch of cheese, but she was missing a set of daggers as well. She looked around, curious as to where they went. She saw something shine and ran to it, there sat the dagger. She picked it up, went to her backpack and replaced it. She put the bag on her back and looked for the other one.

Upon not finding it she gave up and began walking towards where they would meet, for this adventure. Her heart pounded, feeling dred, excitement, anticipation, and adrenaline. She walked quickly, her eyes on the horizon.

She soon arrived at the road, her eyes now pasted on the ground. She stopped hesitantly, doubting herself. But she continued anyway, hand resting on hilt.

Stepping over the tomes scattered across her bedroom floor, Lexis headed to the wooden wardrobe by the far wall.  She had bid her farewell to the council shortly after the rest of their impromptu group dispersed and headed back to the elders' abode. There were but a few things she had deemed necessary to take on this journey: rations, a spare cloak, parchment and quill, a handful of tomes and scrolls, bandages, and a small, rusted dagger.

Her expression grew pensive in the dim light of the room as she held the worn-out knife. Similar to the scars she conceiled, the dagger was but another memento from her difficult childhood. Roaming the streets and fending for herself, it had been her defense when humankind reared its fangs. Never to kill but able to maim. Would it be enough this time around?

Pulling herself from her thoughts, the apprentice proceeded to pack the aforementioned items inside the olive pack left by the Protector. Satisfied, she grabbed a roll of bandages and stepped in front of an antique, full-body mirror. Piece by piece, the young lady disrobed, gold-spun tresses flowing along her figure. Lexis allowed herself a small smile at the memory of the teacher brushing her hair every sundown. The bandages covering her body were then removed, exposing the now permanent bruises inking the skin covering her neck down to her limbs, coupled with scars as thin as threads and as thick as a pole's width. Pale irises glazed over at the sight of marred flesh. Hastily, the roll of bandage was spent to conceil the scars yet again, and Lexis breathed a sigh as she pulled the new set of robes over her head.

Preparations were finally completed and willing herself not to question the decision she had made, Lexis set forth towards the north gate. The stares and whispers of the townspeople as she passed were not lost to her, and she sunbconsciously pulled her hood lower to keep her face in the shadows. Thank the Kurator, the rest of her walk remained uneventful and she reached the rendezvous point. There she happened upon the carpenter, the towering man, the young woman wearing an eyepatch over her left eye, another young lady that appeared close to her age, and the enormous lad that, Lexis remembered briefly, oddly resembled a bruin. She approached slowly, the gravel crunching under her boots. 

@Throne Trinity

@Handabooo

@Elephantom

@slayerslade666

@Angel_cassieopia

The northern road is clear enough. It is a slightly winding road to the pass through the Mountains of Hrez, the cave being on one of the side paths off the pass. Your group muddles through the first two days. Eric's tantrum setting the pace at a fast walk. The rest of you follow along. Each of you is introverted over what you've just seen. You all try to process the world as it now is, completely turned upside down. Two days pass with little conversation. You all are on auto-pilot mentally. You stop for three small meals a day, forage for food and water without question, and rest each night around a small fire.

The second night you all take turns as guards for your camp. As each of you go to sleep you have the following dream.

A voice sounds within your mind, familiar yet not recognizable.

I heal and wait for you, my chosen. Much time has passed, much has changed.

Aevum with the Stuggors.jpg

The image flows clearly through your mind. A young looking blonde man resting against a large tree in white ancient styled robes.

The time of conflict has come. There is much for you to learn and not enough time. I need you, Hudol needs you.

Aevum versus Satu.jpg

There is no transition between images. You flow from the serene flowing waters of marsh to the rampaging fires and energy of battle. You know within you that the faces within this image are not true, they are the embodiment of Good and Evil.

We prepare for you. Everyone. It comes the time to become our true selves. To be our destiny. To live and slay the imbalanced.

Old Dragon.jpg

As this image absorbs your consciousness you can hear the earthquake like thud of wings flapping. You can hear the rumbling of the roar beginning before you are swept away.

Come to me. See the Gods. Hurry, before more escape the Holding Grounds. Mischief is loose...

The Portal.jpg

You know that the last image is within the Cave of Hrez. You know that this is where you must go if you choose to follow their path.

Morning comes and with it the sun. As you all wake you can see the images of a small village in a valley. It is built with the northern road split between it. The village is new but obviously prosperous. You've heard rumors of an ambitious Ramai Priestess setting up a village to compete with Lundy on the other side of the Mountains of Hrez. Yet as you view the village you see something nefarious happening. Creatures, something you've never seen before, creeping toward the village from four directions.

Goblin 2.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The village of Emberborn was Sheera's brain child. It was an outpost before the Mountains of Hrez. A trading hub, a village of safety for those not wanting to live with masses. It was only two seasons old and already it was prosperous. It attracted traders and woodsmen and woodswomen. The word and law of the Ramai was spreading and the reputation of the young Priestess grew with each season.

It is here, this morning that Sheera, Theodosa, and Joshua are fatefully gathered. It is the first trading of the morning. Haggling and bickering usurp the morning focus, guard shift change was occurring so no one saw the slowly creeping creatures that were circling the village.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Distance seemed to mean nothing as you had disappeared and reappeared miles away from where you were. Your eyes come into focus and you find yourself in a dark cave with a strange door at the top of some stairs.

The Portal.jpg

Your focus is pulled to its shimmering blue image until you realize that you are not alone.At the bottom of the stairs you see three creatures. They approach you and speak in a high pitched tone. "Supper has come early boys!" The one in the middle cackles out with laughter. The other two giggle and speak almost at the same time, the one on the right hitting the one of the left so that he can speak.

"Its a pretty young thing isn't it!?" His smile is sickening as it shows more sharp and oddly angled teeth. As they approach you can smell their unwashed stench more and more.

Goblin 1.jpg

"Oh uh..." As Edward stared straight at the evils approaching him, looking at all the remains of which was in here. "Who knew being in a cave with three other beings is this dangerous. But as you say." Edward gave a moment to pause. "The best way to keep a secret between a number of people, is to kill the rest." Ed quickly runs backwards and puts his bag down to open it. Once successfully opened, he searches around for items to not yet be sold. Which was a two daggers that felt broken, but not quite. Edward charged into battle, making a "Hiya!" sound. 

Five minutes later he finds himself with an arrow in his left shoulder, a skin cut on his chest and bruises all over. "I thought it would it go much... Different." With that,  Edward slowly limped his way to the portal, the stairs being much of the difficulty. His limping took much of the pain, but as he made it to the portal. He said his farewells to the monsters and went through the portal.

@Huey @RandomMonsters

The creatures easily toy with you, one sending an arrow into your shoulder, the others tripping you and slicing you across your chest once.The maniacal cackling sounding throughout the cave as you limp up the stairs.

"What is wrong pretty? Don't want to play anymore?" They fall into themselves laughing as you head into the portal. "If you think we're evil, wait til you get through there!" That was the last thing you heard as you passed through the electrifying blue portal.

Your entire body seemed to buzz with electricity and power. Your vision clouds and you feel yourself whipping through distances, your body being pulled in multiple directions until you stumble onto the ground, feeling the blades of grass move against your exposed skin. Birds caw in the distance, bugs chirp around you. As you open your eyes, you find yourself in a marsh, a young man leaning against a large tree across a swampy pond.

"Who are you?" a voice calls from the young man.

As Edward fell to the ground, his body wouldn't move, it was too sore, it almost felt like a horse tried pulling his arms and legs off. His mouth was filled with dirt, it was difficult to talk, and move. Let's just say Edward couldn't move at all. After a few minutes, his body started twitching, his nerves returned and were living again!

As Edward slowly got up, he had a minute of flashback from when the monsters were somewhat warning him that this side of the portal is dangerous. As much as he didn't want to believe it, he took it as a minor warning, something to beware later on. But for now, it's time to ask some questions. "Does that matter right now?" Edwards voice was raspy, shaky as well, the wounds only getting worse by the minute.

"First, I ask the questions. Where am I? And am I still in Hudol? And when am I?" Yes, the questions were bulked up, but Edward couldn't miss anything, he didn't even know how long he'd still be alive. Edwards souvenir of an arrow was on the ground, the hole in his shoulder was getting worse, the cut spitting out blood at a slow rate.  The bruises making it difficult to ever move. But through all that, he felt pretty happy. He couldn't wait until he told everyone about his adventure, if he survives. 

@Huey

"Well aren't we dramatic?" The young man watched as Edward lay bleeding out. He slowly walked over to him and sighed. "You're in the Plane of Undying." He knelt next to him and held his hands over Edward's shoulder. "The Stuggor don't like this many questions right away, so be careful."

Bright white sparkling light emanated from the young man's hands. The color varied to many reds and oranges as it came near his skin. As it reached out it crackled and stung Edward's wound. The young man's eyes were closed, his face a mask of intense concentration as the light continued to flow from him. The wound, if Edward looked was knitting itself back together along the strands of light that crossed over the wound.

Edward was blank. His eyes stared at the man, that was... Until his eyes latched onto a bright lights, somewhat almost gleams and beams. With what's happening, Edward had a small.. How do you say it? Tingle, a sensation like no other located at his left shoulder. His mind was cluttered with thoughts, one of them being: "What is happening?"

Edward pulled up his sleeve, watching as his shoulder neatly knit itself back together. With beams of light reflecting off of it. "Woah." Edward exclaimed, moving his eyes from his shoulder to the man, whose face looked of concentration, determination, other words for said things. Ed watched as his wound fully closed, only to get a flashback from when he said the words; "The Plane of Undying" and "Struggor." And he wanted answers.

"Okay... First, what the hell was that! Second, what's a Struggor? And third, what's a Plane of Undying?"

@Huey

"You aren't one of the chosen. How did you get here?" The young man stood, wavered a bit and looked down to Edward. He hadn't healed the bruises but the shoulder wound looked as if it had healed for a month and his chest slice was scabbed over. The young man started to walk away, expecting Edward to follow him. "You were at the Inn weren't you? I remember your face...vaguely."

Edward face turned confused as he heard the words 'chosen'. He watched as the man started walking, the expectation was to start walking with the man, and he did start following. It was there the man claimed to see Edwards face, back at the inn. He almost forgot about the Inn itself.

"You saw me at the Inn..?" Edward asked, only to flashback more of the things that the man said to him. "Wait... Chosen? Whose a chosen? And why am I not one?"

@Huey

"You are not worthy. You were not shown to me. You were taken away from the Inn as I was, but for a different reason." He shook his head and frowned. "I believe you were meant to die. The Goblins found you didn't they?" He reached his hand out and the arrow that was in your shoulder flew into his hand, the shaft meeting his palm softly. "This is a Goblin arrow, the Stuggor taught me about them. They're wicked creatures, especially in groups."

"You are safe in the Undying Lands, though time flows by faster than Hudol. I've been here for three years and its only been a couple days in Hudol." He continued walking, if Edward paid attention he would be able to notice that it was a trail, though there was no dirt track. Everything was lush here. The trees divided in a winding path, no roots were present, and no obstacles were found along the path.

"I am Aevum. Once a priest of Satu. I am the body you tried to loot, Edward."

Edward walked with the man, listening to his rambling. But he had a controversy. His controversy were mostly just questions of interest. With his person of interest. Once stopped, Ed watched as the man did some mystical magic, getting the arrow out of his shoulder. "That's new." 

As the man started to begin walking again, Ed followed, with the questions from before even more powerful. It was insane. It was than his mind gave a moment to think. "If I've been here for a few minutes, that means I've probably been here for a few hours!" The questions flowed throughout his brain, as he stopped for a moment, left in his tracks. His movement completely still. 

Edward looked around, seeing all the lush green grass and the trees almost looking fake. But he had the thought that it's probably real. It was only than he started walking again, catching up with the man. And as he ended his last  sentence, he gave a sigh. "Well... that's embarrassing." Edward replied to the naming of the man. "Aevum? Huh." Edward had a moment of silence. "So I'm gonna ask more questions now." He took a breath, feeling a little nervous. "So... I got teleported... Ended up with some goblins. Entered a portal and now I'm in the Plane of Undying where time goes much faster and now there are things called Struggor? Also you.. Who is three years older than you were in Hudol... Wow."

@Huey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back