• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter III: Scales of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herondale looked like he was about to say something but decided against it. Instead he just watched as everyone else got up and left the office.

A fair walk brought Dina, Violet, Meric and Silverlane back to the warehouse. The place hadn't changed. It was still a mess of overturned and unturned barrels, broken and unbroken crates, and of course various debris covering most of the floor, consisting mainly of wood, metal and cloth. Needless to say, it still reeked of dirt and alcohol.

But it was their crime scene, and they finally had it all to themselves.

Meric paused at the broken threshold and stared down at the really dark puddle of blood that was the only reminder of what happened here just two hours ago. He cast a glance at Dina, the girl he thought he was saving. But now it seemed he had made a mistake. There was no danger. He just killed a drakkar for no reason, and an important lead at that. The elf looked down in dismay.

Meanwhile, in the woods southwest of Ridge, or more precisely under them...

... The scholar abrubtly takes the direct approach. The elven professor next to him is shocked, but not because of what happened as much as what didn't happen. Admittedly, there was a hint of heat at first, just prior to contact with the wall. But the sensation of fire and scorching did not come from Henvei's hand, as he thought at first. It felt like it was coming from his mind instead, or more precisely from somewhere else entirely, but processed by his mind, not his outer senses.

Aside from the smooth, warm stone under his palm, the sensation of fire came as a word, not literal flames. Combined with the growing feeling of approval, Henvei could understand what happened. He just remembered he once read of something similar.

The magical mechanism was a sort of a power lock. It only responded kindly to power. That explained why previous attempts ended badly. It took a powerful wizard, or at least an individual with high magical potential to even access the mechanism - let alone get through it. And he yet had to do that.

As Henvei stood there with his hand still in the handprint in the center of the wall, professor Dain finally came to his own senses.

"Amazing. Simply amazing..." he said. "But look! Now that the markings are lit... By the Maker. These are not simple markings. They are runes, and old ones at that. Ancient. I can guess that because in my entire long life I had never seen anything like them. Or have I? Perhaps something remotely similar..."

The elf was right. The original markings were only half of what was really inscribed on the wall. Now that the lock was activated the other half of the red runes was visible, however still illegible. Or was it?

The sharp, elongated curves of the script resembled something that Henvei had encountered before - the runes of the Varden. Henvei met a few members of this ancient race of men before. Only natural since their kingdom was relatively close to the Frigid Wastes, and Henvei's home. He saw the script they used, and could tell that the red runes on the wall before him were somewhat similar to those, though sadly he could read neither.

Dina Ailsa

Dina just walked through the door when she noticed that Meric lingered by the blood stain. He seems really troubled. He shouldn't be. Meric was saving me. I should have let the drakkar go through the door uninterrupted, should have known that my power is not that strong to momentarily summon binds. Dina let out a small sigh and approached Meric. "Thank you, Meric. I would've been trampled had you not pushed me away." she leaned in as if to plant a kiss on Meric's cheek then stopped for a moment. This is alright, right? He needs some reassurance, and I am indeed grateful. So the kiss was planted. Dina backed agay quickly then, gave a little smile and continued into the warehouse. She decided to follow the line of walls, walking slowly next to them, looking around cautiously. Dina suppressed the feeling of guilt for the drakkar's death, there was no use crying over spilt milk. Though, she knew in her heart that this matter will keep bothering her for a long while.

Violet Robbins

Violet let Dina be the counselor while she search for clues. It wasn't that she didn't care how Meric felt, years of being a Resistance fighter and leader had left her people skills a little lacking.

The Dark Elf started from the doorway and started toward the nearest group of barrels and crates, searching over and under each one she passed, reaching her hand inside of the broken, searching for a hidden clue

Tharos Silverlane

Tharos Silverlane entered the warehouse with Violet and the others. He had loosened the blade on his hip from its sheath incase of another encounter. He wandered toward the back of the warehouse to check for any other unknown visitors. It is a wonder why Rhex was here to begin with... curious... His gaze continued scanning the area, keeping an eye for moving shadows.

Everyone except Meric was busy conducting a thorough inspection of the crime scene. The elf stood leaning against the doorless doorway, as if standing guard when in fact he was clearly too lost in thoughts to notice anything at all. So when a discovery was finally made, he was the last to realize.

It was Violet who found it, though it should be said that the others contributed no less with their efforts. She just happened to be looking in the right place.

The right place was near the spot where the Watch found lieutenant Ferndow's body three days ago. There was just a large pool of dried blood now, but a few feet away, half hidden under an overturned barrel, lay the evidence they were looking for. It was a piece of parchment; somewhat dusty but clearly relatively new. It lacked the fine layer of dirt that covered everything else in the old warehouse. The size of a small notebook, it was a single page folded in half so that its content was on the inside, but something else drew Violet's attention to it.

Scattered across the paper were several dark drops of blood.

Violet Robbins

"I've got something here." Violet called out, pulling out the parchment with delicate fingers. This could very well be a key piece of evidence for this investigation, so she wasn't about to go damaging it. She doubled checked for any others evidence, but found none. Having made sure that she hadn't missed something, she carefully unfolded the parchment, peering inside with intense curiosity.

On closer inspection the parchment turns out to be a receipt from a local antiquary. According to the address, it is located on Tereyn Square, West Quarter. Not far from the warehouse. But more interesting is that the receipt is for a private-marked "Item #3493" which has been pending collection since September 24th. Yesterday.

Dina Ailsa

Dina rushed to Violet's side. "You do? What is it?" she asked, approaching. She was excited and it could be seen on her face. There's finally something! I hope it's usefull.

Violet Robbins

"I think I might have just found the reason behind this murder." Violet said as she rose from where she had been kneeling. She showed Dina the page's contents and said, "My gut tells me that whatever this item is, its very important to this case; maybe even the reason that there was a murder at all."

Dina Ailsa

http://www.rpdom.com/threads/dina-ailsa.53054/

Dina examined the parchment.

"Hmm, I doubt it. If it was that important even in rush this wouldn't be forgotten like this. This address...is it far?"

the last sentence was directed to Meric.

There should be no trouble if we wanted to collect that item if it's still there, too. We have a right to claim it considering this has been found at the crime scene.

She glanced at the receipt.

"We should visit our good captain too, I want to hear what he knows about that gang."

Dina thought out loud.

Why do I feel like I'm forgetting something?

Having walked over without a sound - quite a feat given all the debris on the floor - Meric joined in as he studied the receipt. "The address is on Tereyn Square, here in the West Quarter. A ten minute walk, if that." The elf exchanged glances with Dina, Violet, and finally Silverlane. "I guess this is the piece of evidence Rhex came back to retreive. So what should we do with it? And is that blood?" his eyes narrowed, focusing the dark droplets on the lower half of the parchment.

Violet Robbins

Bringing the page close to her face, Violet gave a small sniff. She had been sure before, but she definitely remember the ferrous smell of blood. Looking to Meric, she gave a solemn nod.

Patting the clue softly on her hand, she paced for a moment, trying to think of the best course of action. After a few moments of following her circuit, she stopped facing the others and said, "I think we should see if we can't find out what exactly Item #3493 is. But, the day grows late, so I think we should split up. Dina brought up a good point earlier about talking to the Captain, especially since he might have knowledge that shed some light on this new clue of ours. If you guys are okay, I think Meric and I should head to this address and find our what we can while you, Dina, and Tharos talk with the captain. You are the best among us with people and Tharos knows the most about the Captain and how things work here in Ridge. This way, we cover twice as much ground at the same time."

"It's true, we're running out of daylight fast." Meric nodded to Violet. But he seemed nervous all of a sudden. He took Violet by the hand and then gently but firmly led her aside, just enough not to be overheard by the others. "You're sure we can trust this man? Dina is the heir to the throne of Asgard, and you would just send her off with him?" he whispered to her.

Meric's features were serious. Suspicious, even, with a hint of disbelief. It was unclear from where this sudden lack of faith was coming from. All of a sudden he seemed to take on Violet's protective role regarding the girl.

Violet Robbins

Reflecting Meric's demeanor, Violet replied "I have trusted this man with my life and I hold Dina's to the same level of importance. He's a strong and honest man and done nothing to earn my suspicion. Plus, you said it yourself, the day grows late. We can investigate both of our current leads all the faster this way."

Violet didn't totally blame Meric for his reaction. However, she knew Tharos well enough that she had no qualms as to letting him accompany Dina.

Looking less than happy, Meric nodded and agreed. His eyes passed onto Dina as he went to rejoin her and Silverlane, but not for long.

"Alright. If we're done here, I vote we proceed according to Violet's plan. Me and Violet will try to make some progress with this antiquary while you two learn what you can from Captain Raynard. We will regroup back at the Ruffled Feathers afterwards. Hopefully the others will be there as well." Meric sighed. The efforts of the day were starting to show, but he maintained a stern expression. "Silverlane." he addressed the man, forcing himself not to cross eyes with Violet again. "Keep her safe."

That said, the elf turned to leave and made for the warehouse exit, not looking behind to see if Violet was following.

Dina Ailsa

"Alright. Good luck." Dina said shortly. She was still blushing from Violet's comment. As Dina was starting to walk away she wondered about Meric's first reaction. He was probably asking about Tharos, I am the heir after all, and was probably reassured by Violet. She is right: we're running out of time. Then it struck her. Not only for the trial. Her face changed. How long are we going to allow ourselves to delay our main occupation? Her pace quickened. We have to regroup fast! Ilhirel could be at our tails! If I only had a way of knowing! She seemed to be forgeting everything around her, walking mechanically ahead. Tharos might have been calling for her but she didn't hear him. Wait... I do have something. Dina stopped suddenly and turned all her focus to the Spectral Council, remembering them, calling for them.

A faint chilling sensation ran across the back of Dina's neck as she felt the forming of the familiar presence in her mind. A voice spoke, deep and painfully slow. It was impossible to remember which of the spirits was it; the first, the second or the third. But then again, it hardly mattered. They seemed to be almost a single entity anyway. At least for all intents and purposes so far.

This Council stands at your service, young Queen. But now is not a good time. Call for us again, just before you retire for tonight. With your permission...

The voice inside the girl's head faded, and so did the spiritual presence. She was left alone, the contact broken as swiftly as it had come. She also had a strange feeling that summoning the Spectral Council again would yield no response. Were the spirits otherwise occupied, if that was even possible? Or was there something else? They had to have a damn good reason to ditch the last descendant of the royal line they were sworn to like that.

Either way, she was on her own, for now.

Dina Ailsa

You didn't get any permission, you, you... GAHH! Dina let herself calm down and then look for Tharos with the don't-ask look prepared. Let's get this over with first...I HOPE there is no need to rush.

Tharos Silverlane

Tharos had behind Dina during the conversation as Meric addressed him. Tharos nodded. "I already know, Meric. No harm will come to her." He stood up straight before walking towards the broken doorway. He stopped and turned, looking toward Dina and waiting for her. he saw her deep in concentration figuring she must have been either sorting something out in her mind or speaking to others through a telepathic way. Either way, he waited patiently with one hand on the pommel of the blade on his hip. I'm ready when you are, Child. Tharos couldn't shake the feeling that she had something to do with the royal bloodline based on how protective Meric seemed of her. He didn't have any doubts, per say, more presumptions.

Dina Ailsa

"Lead me back to the good captain. You mind if I call you Tharos?" Dina said realizing that she only made a few steps before halting to try and contact the Spectrals. She started walking again, passing through the doorway before Tharos.

Laurolf Fangür

Laurolf hemmed and stared outside for a moment, looking at the fading silhouette of the Drakkar- The Drakefolk of the sands of Daskárd, were nothing if not fierce, especially in the case of Xenthriss and yet, Laurolf couldn't help but wonder, if the Drakekin really didn't care about their quest, or if what he was after, was worth risking unwanted attention to their merry little group. "Bloody trouble, all the same- 'em Drakes.." He thought, then turning around to face the shopkeeper. "Tell me laddie- Wha' exactly was me acquaintance 'ere, after? I ain't sayin' ye' know anythin' about the matter, but I'd like to know what he was askin' ye' to tell him, eh?"

The shopkeeper fixed Laurolf with a careful eye. "You did me a favor, master dwarf, so I'll tell you. But! This delves into serious stuff. Convinced that I was somehow affiliated with them, the drakkar was asking where he could find the infamous Dark Company.... There you have it. Best forget about this business and go your own way. Nothing good can come out of it." The man seemed honest enough, or at least his fear was real, and besides - if he knew anything Xenthriss would have probably gotten it out of him. Laurolf's earlier conclusion was likely correct: The shopkeeper didn't have this information.

Laurolf may have heard of the Dark Company if he was in South Hyerim or Daskárd in the last year or so. They were a notorius group of smugglers and cutthroats who operated mainly in those regions. But why was Xenthriss trying to find them in Ridge? There could be a hundred reasons, but the fact that he left the fellowship as soon as they docked yesterday "to take care of some business" and has apparently been thrashing the city in a wild search made it clear that, whatever his motives were, Xenthriss had some indication that the Dark Company was in fact in Ridge.

What could the dwarf do about it, though? The day was moving on. It was afternoon already, and the rest of the Chosen would probably be gathering back at the Ruffled Feathers in several hours.

Meanwhile, Violet and Meric arrive at Tereyn Square. Named after the ruling Lord of Ridge, the square also displayed a slightly large than live sized statue of the man on a short round pedestal. It was above decent craftsmanship, made out of grey stone. Lord Tereyn stood facing the Lord's Quarter on the other side of town, both of his hands on the hilt of his sword turned point down in a protector's position - which was what the Lord of a town was supposed to be anyway.

The two elves couldn't help but feel different, travelling alone like this. Two of a kind. Asgard was quite metropolitan, but elves and men mingled the most. And elves who moved in diverse circles like Violet and Meric always noticed the difference between that and a race-exclusive company. It was no suprise to her when Meric broke the silence to note that it was nice travelling like this for a change. There was no need to specify. Violet understood perfectly.

The Sun was already painting the world gold, casting dull reflections from the rooftops. Beneath one such rooftop was the sign they were looking for. It said: "Andrew's Antiquary" in a fancy script of red letters on a piece of light wood fixed just above the door. There weren't many people around. A dwarf went by so serious looking that it almost made you laugh.

"So, how do you want to do this?" Meric asked, looking at Violet. They had the receipt, but if this was related to the Dark Company, perhaps it was worth contemplating the right approach. Just in case.

Violet Robbins

Violet pondered the question for a moment. There were a lot of ways they could go about this.

After several moments' thought, she replied, "I think we should just go direct, show the receipt an see if we can find out what this item is. However, lets not mention the fact that we're investigators until its necessary; just in case."

One nod from Meric and they were through the rickety front door. The interior looked just like an antiquary ought to look. Minus the dust. The owner sure liked to keep things clean. There wasn't a speck of dust on any of the displays.

Tall bookshelves lined two of the four walls, overstacked with books and various trinkets - from figurines to hourglasses. There were some more books on the three tables that were actually meant to hold some of the larger items. There was a statue of a knight apparently made out of silver, a meter or so in height. A fancy chess set with glass pieces drew attention next to it. On the second table was a mechanical contraption with cogs and wheels, the purpose of which could not be guessed. In the corner beyond, left of the entrance door, was a long spear with a ring of feathers just under the pointy end. Even at glance it was obvious that it wasn't made from any common wood. The thing looked like it belonged in a jungle.

Further inspection was interrupted by the sudden realization that there was no one else in the room. Meric gave Violet an undefined look and moved into the middle of the creative mess that surrounded them. On the far side was a wooden counter above which hang a preparated eagle with spread wings. There was no one behind, but there was another door, richly carved, presumably leading off to a side room.

Violet Robbins

Joining Meric in the masses of, picking her way past old tomes and other items that time forgot, she cast her gave about. He moved forward toward the counter, leaning over it and looking to the second door. Turning back to Meric, she asked "Do you supposed we should try and knock, or do you think that he's merely not in?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back