• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter III: Scales of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laurolf Fangür

"I ought' to be knockin' yer out, fer sayin' somethin' like 'at, Drake!" Laurolf growled, "'At lad, Eltheron's a tough one, an' I'm sure 'at crazy jester who fancies 'imself a mage', can be 'oldin' 'is own in a fight, as well. It's more likely, for 'ose two to 'ave go'en 'emselves lost, or to a invitin' tavern- Rather 'an killed, hmh!" The Dwarf gave the Drakkar a sharp look and then sunk down some ale from his mug. Laurolf would never admit it openly, but he was slightly concerned as well; out of the entire group, Eltheron was the one he felt he could trust with his life and the life of the others. The rest of their little, "fellowship" was.. well.... One of them was a helpless human girl, one a bloodthirsty and uncontrollable beast and while Meric might've known what he was doing, Henvei was.. Henvei. The two newcomers, Laurolf hadn't had the time to form an opinion of yet. Overall though, he wasn't sure if anyone but himself and Eltheron, had actually understood what their little mission was and what exactly it might take, to complete it. It wasn't a camping trip they were on, after all, and yet, some of the others acted without a care in the world.

As his pint hit the table, Laurolf took a deep breath and cleared his throat. "Now.." He eyed everyone present, "Could one of ye' tell me, why we should be carin' 'bout some bloody murder, or a group o' smugglers, eh?" He instinctively lowered his voice a little, knowing that Ilhirel's hounds could have been nearby. "Ye' do realize, 'at chasin' down some petty criminals, that ain't really even our problem- Is just a waste o' time, rite'? We cannet' be runnin' 'round, Ridge, what we must be doin', is figurin' out- How we'll get to 'e bloody Drakesands, before we're noticed. Which we will be, if we keep drawin' attention to ourselves, by solvin' some mysteries-" He glanced at Xenthriss, "-or toughenin' up, blacksmiths."

Xenthriss produced an odd gurgling-like sound and laid back in his chair, looking amused. Then Meric leaned forward.

"Laurolf is right." the elf said. "We have forgotten about our main objective for the day. Although..." He paused, thinking. "The journal from the Great Library should still be with Henvei, unless he returned it to Dina." He looked at the girl who had her eyes closed. "Dina?" He called her. And then again, louder. "Dina?"

She was grasping for focus, but the contact didn't come. It occurred to her that perhaps she should be trying this later in a more private setting. It would be easier to focus, and she would also be less exposed to anyone watching. Right now Meric was the one who snapped her out of it. When she opened her eyes, he repeated the same question just to make sure she heard it.

The look in his eyes was quizzical, with a glint of worry.

Laurolf Fangür

Laurolf cringed, just at the mention of that woman's name- Even more now, since the missed opportunity at Aboran, was still fresh in his mind. Still, he had no time for that right now, so he sighed and looked at Dina. "I wouldn't 'ave trusted it, in anyone elses 'ands, lass, if I were ye'.. Then again, ye' children always 'ave to learn 'e hard way, to keep important things safe, hmh!" Laurolf stroked his beard, and briefly looked at his satchel. He then hemmed and nodded "Rite'! We ought to be trackin' down Eltheron an' master Frosthume. We cannet be leavin' before we track 'ose two, an' the young lass' book anyway, so I reckon it ought to be our first order o' business."

"And since we can't leave yet anyway, we might as well finish what we started with the trial." concluded Meric. "Besides, the law states that the Tribunal cannot last more than three days in court. One has already passed. It will end in a day or two regardless of what we do about it. And that much longer, I believe, we can afford to remain in Ridge."

The elf spared a glance in Violet's direction before passing over everyone's faces. "If I hadn't made it clear enough, let me be blunt. We have the location of the Dark Company's base of operations. We should infiltrate it and search for answers. They are clearly related to the case at hand. We have no real leads besides that."

"Sounds good to me." said the drakkar. "I don't mind the lot of you tagging along when I go take care of some... unfinished business."

Laurolf Fangür

Laurolf hemmed. "Fine. But not all of us, should be on yer' li'le espionage mission. I fer one, would be more interested in tryin' to track down the two missin' lads, rather 'an goin' after yer evidence."

The shadow elf nodded. "Of course. We will need to split up once again. Dina." he said. "You will be safer if you remain behind. After all, someone from the defense has to be present during the trial. Take one more with you. Either Violet or Silverlane, I think. Laurolf can pursue the search for our missing members on his own, leaving the rest of us to handle the Dark Company." Meric looked concerned all of a sudden. "We'll need all the help we can get. I'm afraid this will likely turn out to be more than an espionage mission."

"You got that right." Xenthriss added with a menacing grin.

"Tomorrow will be difficult." said Meric. "The Tribunal might not sound as dangerous as a smuggler lair, but without solid evidence the task of postponing the trial might prove harder than what we've got in store. Let's hope we turn up something that we can use."

Tharos Silverlane

Tharos had walked into the inn behind Dina. He sat quietly, mulling over thoughts of his own. He knew of the Dark Company. Not much, but he knew the very basic stuff such as what they did. After Dina explained the disappointing events with the Captain, he remained silent like a sentinel. He sat in his chair, looking around for a waitress or innkeeper. He noticed the bartender at the end of the common room. He stood up and excused himself from the table as the fellowship chatted about. His head felt like it was being bashed with a sledge hammer. He walked to bar and got himself a mug of ale before walking back to his table and resuming his seat. His thoughts trailed off. He still had an ear listening to the conversation in the case that he could pitch in any commentary as he sipped his drink.

"Where will I be needed?" Tharos asked, his head still hurting. The headache seemed to come out of no where but he knew it would go away sooner or later.

Violet Robbins

Violet had eating a rather tough piece of pheasant while the four talked back and forth. So focused on her meal she missed her chance to agree with Meric's plan for infiltration. She wholeheartedly agreed and would have hoped on the chance to accompany him to the hideout had she not been otherwise occupied. By the time she managed to swallow, Dina had called dibs on her company. She would have protested, but decided it best not to.

Wiping her mouth, she said "Dina's right. It'll add more credibility with an eyewitness account."

She stole a glance at Meric, not unlike the ones he had been giving her. Could it be that Meric...liked her? The thought nearly made her blush, before giving her head a little shake, dismissing the idea.

"Then it's decided." said Meric with a nod, then proceeded to sum up duties for tomorrow like the unproclaimed leader of the group.

"Xenthriss, Silverlane and myself will infiltrate the Dark Company's base of operations. Dina and Violet will attend the trial as representatives of the defense and try to hold things together. Meanwhile, Laurolf will go looking for our two missing friends. Best of luck to everyone. We'll all need it." he finished.

Thus the plans had been made for tomorrow. For the rest of the evening they could finish their food and drinks in peace, then get some rest until morning. The restaurant had already become nearly empty during their debate. It was getting late. They gathered around nine, so midnight wasn't that far off.

Xenthriss was the first to leave the table. "Tomorrow." was all he said before requesting a key from the barely cooperative innkeeper and heading upstairs to his room. The drakkar just now got a room. Where did he sleep last night, after he went separate ways from the rest of the group? Who knew...

Dina Ailsa

Once in her room Dina took a big breath. She wanted to talk to Violet, seek advice. There was this leadership trait she had to develop and thought that Violet could help her. She couldn't just ask someone else, it would be to embarrassing, and why when her good friend has experience. I'll try to catch some time with her after the trial tomorrow. Now... Dina cleared all her thoughts but the one about the Council. There are some questions that need to be answered. For the third time today, she concentrated trying to recall the way the Spectrals talked.

The contact came almost simultaneously, like it was already there and the girl merely tapped into it. As if the Spectral Council was waiting for her.

Sure enough, a deep, slow voice spoke in her mind. "Greetings, young queen. This Council has been waiting for you."

Through her closed eyes Dina could almost see the dark cavern from the beginning of her journey. But it was hard to recall the nearly shapeless forms of the Council, like faces with gaping mouths made of mist and smoke. This time, unlike earlier today, she had the feeling of solid, firm contact.

Dina Ailsa

"Excellent. Do you happen to know the whereabouts of our huntress? Niara? Is she closing in on us?" Dina asked, relieved that she finally got through to them.

"Straight to the point." said the spectral voice.

Then another voice continued: "All eyes and ears of the Sorceress are searching for the party that thwarted her designs at the elven town of Aboran. The one they call Niara Shadowleaf is undoubtedly among them. For the moment, you are safe. But that is likely to change soon. Port after port along the Shallow Sea is being investigated by the enemy. You must leave Ridge before long."

Tharos Silverlane

Tharos looked at the drakkar and then the elf that were both to be his companions. He rose quietly, leaving his empty mug on the table as his headache continued on. He didn't request a room key since he lived in the city. He always woke up earlier in the mornings so he wasn't too concerned about his timing in getting to the inn to meet back with his two companions the next morning. He stopped and turned to those remaining at the table. "Have a good night's rest tonight, my friends. Seems as though a long day awaits us in the morning." He turned and walked out of the inn to make his way home.

Violet Robbins

As Tharos left, Violet gave him a smile and a wave goodbye. It had been nice to see him again, even under such strained circumstances as this. He also reminded that it had been a long day so far. The thought brought out a long yawn and a stretching of arms. Rising from the table, she said to those left at it "If you all will excuse me, I'll be taking my leave. The day is finally catching up with me and I could really use a nice long night's rest. I hope you all sleep well and I shall see all of you tomorrow morning."

Pushing her chair in, she went over to the innkeeper, retrieved her key and headed off to her room. The idea of a nice warm bed after a long day brought a small smile to her face.

Dina Ailsa

Dina nodded to herself. Is there something else that you know and I could use knowing? she asked. Her face was serious, not that the Spectrals could see it, though.

"Undoubtedly, on a general scale, but there is nothing of great impact on your current situation." the specter replied.

The second voice added: "Do not waste more than another day in Ridge. Finish your affairs, regroup with the other Chosen, and travel into the desert to the southeast. If there is nothing more to discuss, this Council will now leave you to rest."

Dina Ailsa

Yes, you may go. Thank you for the gold you gave as, it has been very useful. Dina said as she sat on her bed, remembering that this would not have been possible if it weren't for the gold that mysteriously appeared after the first meeting with the Spectrals. After a minute, or so, Dina was traveling the land of dreams.

It was a bright day, Dina was slowly walking the road. Sun was shining, birds were singing. How could she not smile? It was late Spring, everything in bloom, flowery scents filling the air. Dina was wearing a green dress with shoes to match, her hair was gathered in a pony tail. As she was walking through the woods it was hard to resist the urge to dance and sing in the sunlight which was so warm on her skin. She hummed a song and searched for red flowers to pick. This was not a hard thing to do since there were plenty. It seemed as if the trail has gone red with red roses, red tulips, red irises, red daffodils... It was at this momet that Dina woke in her dream. Those shouldn't be red... I must be dreaming. It wasn't hard to continue to enjoy. So what if it's only a dream?

There was a scream. Loud, high-pitched and agonizing. Dina stopped in her tracks. There it was again. She followed the road, now running. Dina discarded the flowers she picked and ran as fast as she could. It was as if there was a flash of light as she got onto a clearing. It was all red as well. This time it was different...this time it was blood. There were dead bodies everywhere. Women, children, soldiers... Dina looked around searching for the source of those screams. There was a man, holding a shield to his chest. Dina ran to him and got on her knees. "Don't give up, I'll help you." she said, moving the shield he held to reveal a wound that could have been caused only by fire directed straight to his chest... There were worms already, and all signs of decay. "You're too late...my Queen." the man said with his last breath.

Dina woke up covered in sweat, clenching the sheets, breathing heavily. There was no more sleep for her that night.

City of Ridge, September 26th

----------------------------------------

The following day brought upon cloudy, grey skies and cold wind. Yesterday's Sun was nowhere to be seen. What little remained of its glorious brightness was dimmed to a boring, pale, colorless luminance. Yet there was no rain. Yet. The fellowship split into groups again to cover more ground. As Dina informed them, they would have to finish their affairs here soon, before the seeking enemy finds them.

The group that was to infiltrate the smugglers' lair left first. Xenthriss, Meric and Tharos Silverlane headed west towards Fisherman's Bridge at dawn. Dina and Violet, who were supposed to attend the trial as defenders, had to wait. The Tribunal wasn't scheduled for another few hours. That left the dwarf, Laurolf, to seek out the missing Chosen on his own. He had but a single clue - the Academy in the West Quarter, near the South gates.

That day, as the fellowship would soon realize, turned quite unexpected.

Tharos Silverlane

Tharos woke up while the moon was still up. The sun's rays had yet to strike over the horizon as he made some tea for himself. After sitting down with his drink and some bread and fruit, he walked back to his bedroom and unlocked one of his two wardrobes. He reached inside and found leather and cloth articles of clothing. He slipped into them, the cloth acting as under-armor. Over the leather then came the armor itself. He strapped on his bracers and leggings before securing on his shoulder-plates. He put the sword belt over his right shoulder and under his left with one blade hanging on his back and the other off his left-side hip. He left the house about thirty minutes before dawn to the inn where he would meet up with Meric and Xenthriss.

Now, Tharos has united with his companions and has found himself walking towards the Fisherman's Bridge. His left hand on the pommel of his blade at all times just in case someone tried to strike at them on the way.

Violet Robbins

Violet woke the next morning in a way that was completely foreign to her. She felt...

Well-rested!

While she never neglected to sleep a proper amount every day, she most often slept in terribly uncomfortable places. Today however, she arose from a warm, comfortable bed without the usual aches and pain. It brought her a smile that followed her all the way down to the common area. Once there, she noticed Dina and then noticed the fact that her friend did not share her well-rested perkiness. Concerned, the elfin woman rushed to the girl's side.

"Rough night?" Violet asked as she brushed some stray hair out of Dina's face. She looked terrible, but Violet wasn't about to some out and just say so.

Dina Ailsa

Dina smiled weakly "You could say so." she said. "How do you become a good leader? Is it too late for me? What if I fail and the people lose all hope." Dina wondered, her tone was bitter. She looked at her friend. I'm so afraid. Dina remembered that man from her dream an bowed her head. What if it all comes true? "I've never been any different from any other person....I wish I knew my father." she continued out loud. There was nothing she couldn't share with Violet and as always, se sought comfort in her. You weakling. You can't do anything on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back