• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter III: Scales of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dina Ailsa

Dina blinked a few times, confused. What just happened? She thought while sitting up and looking around, everything seemed dreamy to her. Am I hurt? She checked her arms, legs and torzo. The passed seconds came back to her in retrospect, but she still didn't understand anything. The tingles, the voices, that feeling of plea. And how did that thing get on top of Meric? Dina got to her feet, she knew that she couldn't lift the drakkar so she turned her focus to the warehouse instead.

Violet Robbins

The elfin woman cursed repeatedly as she ran toward the door. She had made a stupid, amateurish mistake and could have cost Dina's life.

When the Drakkar had descended from the catwalk, the surprise had cause Violet's hand to jerk, knocking out the arrow she had notched to her bow. By the time she had managed to pull a second arrow from her quiver, the scaly figure had almost made it to the door. What happened next was too fast for her to properly take a shot.

Now she was running, hoping to get to the door before the robed figure could get up and possibly hurt Dina. If he did, she would make sure he regretted it.

Studying her surroundings while she recollected herself, Dina saw Tharos helping Meric to get the drakkar off of him. He still wasn't moving. Beyond that, there was Violet running towards her. Looking at the ground at the entrance she saw cracks, but that was it. Like a spell hanging in the air, her summoning of Nature remained incomplete. But that couldn't have been true. What she saw, what she felt... Dina realized then, that somehow, for some reason she must have lost focus of what she was trying to do and instead got lost in the powers she was calling on. This would take some contemplation to understand. But who, or what, could she consult for help?

Meanwhile, Meric finally got up while grunting about the drakkar's weight. Then the truth of what really happened dawned. "By the Maker, what have you done?" The voice was familiar, but it didn't belong to anyone from the fellowship. In fact, it came from behind them, from the road they took to get to the warehouse.

Inquisitor Herondale stood there, thirty feet apart, accompanied by a member of the City Watch on each side. He looked shocked, but his men drew no weapons. Yet. But Meric's sword lay bloody at his side.

The elf sighed and swore. "Shite."

Tharos Silverlane

"Self defense, inquisitor. Don't go jumping to assumptions," Tharos said as the body of the drakkar was dropped a couple feet from Meric to allow him space to get up. He rose and regained his composure. "Might I dare ask what you are doing here though? Curious that the witness should return to the scene of the crime after the Tribunal adjourned," the armorer said, wandering a few steps closer to the inquisitor.

Dina Ailsa

Still confused, Dina positioned herself next to Silverlane. I must agree, Inquisitor's visit to this place is a curious matter. She had one more thing on her mind though, was it the drakkar that pushed her back during the commotion at the warehouses entrance? It seemed unlikely. It must have been Meric then...he saved me. Dina glanced at Meric quickly. Maybe he's hurt, I'll see to it later. "Do you, by any chance, know about this man's motive for the visit?" Dina asked the Inquisitor, pointing to the fallen drakkar.

Herondale took a few steps closer, his two men following close behind. His face was a mixture of worry and tiredness. "Ironic that you should repeat your own question, girl. You've asked me that before, no more than an hour ago." He stared at Dina with that piercing look of his, but his lips curved into a foolish smile. Was he amused? "Oh, yes. The person whose identity I hid from the court today? Well there you have him." he pointed at the drakkar's body and laughed cynically. "Little good he's going to be to anyone now, though, is he? Hah. Fools. You've no idea what you've gotten yourselves into." He sighed and stared at the dead body.

In spite of Tharos' valid fear of a misunderstanding, the City Watch gave not even a hint of a possible arrest attempt. The two guards actually seemed awfully relaxed. It was clear that they knew more than your average guardsman. This was not the most natural reaction to discovering a murder in broad daylight.

Meric said nothing, instead watching the faces of his companions to see how they would react. What the hell was Herondale talking about?

No one else happened upon, despite there being people going about their business off in the distance, and the murmur of the city coming from just over the closest line of buildings. It was just the fellowship, Inquisitor Herondale with a pair of guards, and of course the dead drakkar who apparently had a lot to do with the case at hand. Not that he'd prove useful after Meric ran the poor bastard through, but the Inquisitor looked like he was about to become much more talkative than during the Tribunal.

Dina Ailsa

"Do you have anyone else who will back you up with that identification?" Dina asked trying to hide her confusion and anger. The more she looked at the Inquisitor, the more a single word formed in her mind: snake. Dina was starting to feel desperate, they were off with the good start and now this...if what the Inquisitor said was true... They killed a crucial person in the investigation. This is horrible.

A look of amused surprise dominated Herondale's face."In fact, I do, girl. These two gentlemen right here, as chance would have it." he suggested the two guardsmen he brought with him. Both were human. "I sincerely hope that's enough for you. Or do you require a broader range of witnesses? Wait, perhaps I am controlling the minds of the entire City Watch? Is there no end to your shadow of doubt? So young, yet so -"

"Enough, Inquisitor." Meric cut in. He gave Dina a supportive look before he focused on Herondale. "Dina has good reasons not to believe you. Every one of us has, after your performance at court today."

Herondale frowned. "Fair enough." He paused for a few moments, thinking. "Fine." he said, finally. "We will talk. You lot appear more capable than I gave you credit for at first, so I'll explain everything." He looked around as if to make sure there were no spies present. "But not here. The streets are not safe, not for what we need to discuss. Come with me back to my office." Having said that, he waved at the drakkar. "My men will take care of the corpse."

It would appear that the fellowship made some progress. Herondale seemed honest this time, albeit secretive. Maybe he did have good reasons to hide facts from the court, reasons that he seemed willing to disclose to the Chosen in private. Had Dina misjudged the man? Only time would tell.

Violet Robbins

The elfin woman had slowed as she saw both that Herondale arrived and that Dina appeared to be okay. Taking a long deep breath, she slow down to just a brisk walk as she cross the last of the distance between her and Dina while the girl and Tharos talked with the Inquisitor. When a pause had appeared in the conversation, she went over to Dina and said sorrowfully said "I am so sorry. I should have winged that guy before he got anywhere near you. I made a dumb, amateurish mistake that could have resulted in you getting hurt Please forgive me."

Her eyes did their best to portray just had badly Violet felt. Dina was nearest she had to family and she could have just lost her.

Dina Ailsa

Dina nodded and took a step toward the Inquisitor as if saying "I will follow you". Violet approached her, apologizing. "What for, my dear? You were as surprised as the rest of us. Noone can be perfect all the time. And, as you can see, I'm fine." Dina gave her an encouraging smile. The only thing I'm worried about right now is our poor Captain. She thought.

Tharos Silverlane

Tharos helped Meric to his feet before looking intently at the Inquisitor as he sheathed his blades. He looked at the guards before glancing back at the fellowship.
I suppose I will follow as well, Tharos thought to himself. He kept a hand on the handle of the blade on his hip just in case the Inquisitor tried to pull a stunt of some kind. He glanced back to the dead drakkar before looking back at Herondale, giving him a reluctant nod of compliment.

Violet Robbins

With a hand over her heart, Violet gave a sigh of relief at both the fact that Dina was okay and didn't blame her. Standing up straight, she replaced her bow on her back, glancing at the other as she. When saw Tharos' nod, she took a quick look at Dina, and noting the girl's unpreturbed expression, she mirrored the armorer's action.

Less than half an hour later, the fellowship arrives at the Inquisitor's office in the City Watch barracks, led by Herondale himself. As they settle in, he clears his throat with a cough and begins to explain.

"I didn't think it would come to this." he says. "Who could have made the connection? Well, before you people came along. I will be honest like I promised. Bending the truth once nearly sentenced a man to death. Doing it the second time would be unforgivable." Herondale seemed troubled. Apparently there was more to the man than first seemed.

"I ask that you do the same. What is really your motivation to defend Captain Raynard? You don't expect me to believe you just happened along? It all seems too convenient."

Violet Robbins

"Let's just say," Violet started as she stepped forward, "That the Captain is of special interest to me and my associates; including others besides those present here. It would be preferred by those I work with that the good captain remain alive and free. While I did not come here with the specific intent to act as Raynard's defender, I could not ignore the situation."

The entire time that Violet had been talking, her expression had been borderline austere. While she kept visage personable, she made it apparent how serious this was to her and that she would not entertain question on who her other associates were. If the inquisitor learned of the connection between her, the captain, Tharos and the Resistance, it might cause things to spiral in a direction that would not bode well for all involved.

Herondale listened carefully and then nodded. "I understand. Alright." And then, likely to everyone's surprise, he cut to the chase.

"There is a known band of smugglers operating in the region. They deal in everything: stolen goods, exotic items, drugs... And due to the town's position and importance, most of their traffic comes through here. We even believe that the smugglers' main base of operations is in Ridge." Pausing, Herondale crossed eyes with everyone as if to make sure they are listening. Evidently satisfied, he went on.

"Now, according to all regulations this should be a matter of the state. But our calls for official help from Alicante were denied. The Queen has left us to manage on our own. And so we have for over nine months now - but our resources are limited. So far we have been largely unsuccessful. However, just a month ago, we gained an informant on the inside. A member of the smuggling organization approached us and offered help to shut down their operations."

Herondale smiled cunningly, though only for a moment or two. "That person was a drakkar named Rhex. He was the one who supplied the info on the murder in the warehouse. And he was the one you've killed in that same warehouse today."

Meric listened intently with a troubled expression, but he was silent. Had he made a mistake and unjustly killled a person? And someone important for two different cases at that? He looked at Dina briefly before letting his head fall down.

Dina Ailsa

Not only we killed a man crucial for our case, but also an informant for another huge case. How could we have been so... But we didn't know, and the man was at the crime scene...We couldn't had let him run away could we? AAAA. Dina was filled with confusion, regret and fear. She didn't even notice Meric glanced at her. What if there is no way to free our Captain now? There must be something, anything. "So, if he informed you about the murder that would mean that someone else from their gang is involved, a possible murderer. Right?", Dina paused for a moment, "Was there someone to whom Rhex had to report personally? Maybe we can get something fresh out of them." she was desperate for a new lead. The look of her eyes was pleading.

Herondale shook his head. "I'm afraid it's not that simple. On one hand, I am now convinced that these two cases are linked. That is the only reason why we are having this conversation. Before, at the Tribunal, you must understand..." The Inquisitor sighed. He looked tired, troubled somehow. Leading an unsuccessful investigation for nearly a year surely took a lot out of him. But he continued before long. "I could not involve an informant from a secret investigation in a public trial, and reveal his identity at that. Doing so would compromise everything."

"By the way, I know you were acting in self defense," he looked at Meric, but the elf was still staring at the floor. "But Rhex was only trying to escape - not attack anyone. He couldn't risk getting further involved, which is what would happen if you caught him. Alive, that is." That last part sounded awkardly ironic.

"Anyway..." he said, sounding official again. "Yes, if Rhex warned us about the murder it would suggest that someone from the Dark Company - the smuggling band - is indeed involved. But we have no idea who it could be. Our information about them is still weak to say the least."

Dina Ailsa

"That's the answer to the first question, but what about the second question?" Dina asked hoping that this question will not lead to a dead end. The time is limited and they have made next to none progress so far.

"Funny that you should ask." said Herondale in response. He eyed the girl cautiously. In fact, he then proceeded to eye them all, but especially Dina. She clearly puzzled him. It was obvious from the way he looked at her ever since he first set eyes on her. And it was becoming more and more apparent as Dina continually drew attention to herself.

"Of course Rhex was reporting to someone. Don't we all report to someone? Myself to Lord Tereyn, all of us to our... Well, Queen..." There was something odd in the way he mentioned the Queen. It somehow lacked the proper respect. It certainly wasn't the way that people should talk about their ruling monarch. Little did Herondale know that he was actually in the presence of the rightful heir. Had the thought occurred to Dina, it would have undoubtedly made her smile. "And the Maker, I suppose, at the bitter end... But I digress. The truth is we still don't know who actually leads the Dark Company. Rhex betrayed no names, saying that the leading arm was composed of people from too far away to matter. Maybe he would have eventually told us, if he weren't... You know."

Meric did not react. He seemed somewhere far away from here.

"Anyway, I honestly don't know what else to add. Our cooperation with Rhex resulted in a few arrests, but those smugglers that we caught knew next to nothing. Our informant wasn't particularly eager to betray his organization. He was giving us answers, but slowly. My guess is that he was too afraid that they might catch on to him."

Violet Robbins

"hmmm..." Violet intoned thoughtfully. "If only one of us could infiltrate this shadowy organization somehow, we'd be able to strike at the beast from the heart of it all. Too bad we were all present protecting their prey."

Violet placed her chin in her hand and started to pace. What could they do at this point to crack into this and find the truth within it all. She would see justice done, for a world without justice was one where freedom and hope cannot grow.

Dina Ailsa

Dina felt cornered. She was looking at her comrades one at the time seeking...something, some kind of new insight because she, herself, was stuck with no ideas. Anything, anyone? What should we do... "I do believe it's too late for that." Dina said when Violet shared her thoughts. A dead end.

"Actually, everyone here is forgetting one important thing and one important question." Meric had suddenly sprang back to life. There were dark stains on his face where his hands had made enough pressure to disrupt the blood flow under the skin while he was cradling his head in despair. There was no sign of detachment on him any longer. Just the opposite - he seemed refreshed and determined.

"First, we never really examined the crime scene. Our inspection of the warehouse was interrupted, and then we came straight here."

Herondale's eyes grew in realization, but Meric waved him off. "Peace, Inquisitor. I am not implying that you drew us away with some dark purpose. Yet here we are." This seemed to have the desired calming effect, so the elf was free to continue.

"Secondly, why was Rhex at the warehouse in the first place? If he was following us around then it would make no sense to get holed up in there. No, from where I see it, there could only have been one reason for him to be found there." He let tension rise on purpose before finally delivering the answer. Everyone was silent in anticipation. "With the Tribunal delayed, the drakkar knew that the crime scene would be thoroughly examined. There is something of interest in that warehouse."

Dina Ailsa

Dina looked at Meric as if she had just realized he existed. "What are we waiting for? Let's go.", she turned to Herondale, "Thank you for your cooperation. Please, excuse me.". Dina started for the door. A lead! Finally! She walked quick and audacious. A simple smile appeared on her face.

Henvei Relkor vech Daltzen

An eternity cracked in half as the magus broke from his deliberation, slamming his palm into the hand print with a savage gleam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back