• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Cartographers of Spiral Deep (18+; Closed)

BakaTheIdiot

Viscount of Spaghetti Code
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Fourteen years ago, an abyss opened beneath our feet.
1689896643287.png
(credit: here)

Unmapped, unventured, unknown, its spiral pillars loosely resembled steps, earning it the moniker of "Spiral Deep."

Every year since then, a band comprising of cartographers, mercenaries, and even officers of the kingdoms would step foot into Spiral Deep, hoping to learn more about the gaping maw presiding before them. The once quiet village of Mortimer suddenly became a hotbed of explorers and thieves, all looking to make their mark - or simply get rich - in the new abyss craze. For a time, these expeditions consisted mostly of volunteers, but once the volunteers stopped coming, the drafts began. Days, weeks, the expeditions got longer and longer, with the parties growing ever larger in their capacity. The first team consisted of a paltry 3 men, but the last year's team managed to cram a whopping 76 people down the stairs. Whatever their reasons, every year, people would steel themselves and venture into the oppressive darkness.

Not everyone would come back alive. Some parties never came back at all - and those that did rarely returned in the same shape they first ventured. Wounds, amputations, night terrors, with their stories only raising more questions rather than answers. Some swear they saw nothing at all, others cry out memories of monsters lurking deep. The famed "Ligo Disaster," headed by Baron Richter von Ligo, entered Spiral Deep with a team of 75 conscripts to "cleanse" the deep of fiends and terrors.

Only a single man returned. On the verge of tears, he whispered of great horrors residing under the black curtain of Spiral Deep, driving his entire team mad with terror and starvation - how he clawed his way up the spiraling pillars to civilization once more.

1689898258679.png
(credit: here)

It is almost time for the next expedition. By draft or free will, you find yourself in Mortimer, accompanied by only a small band and the rope elevator, all leading down into Spiral Deep's gaping maw. Your weapon in one hand and a torch in the other, the time for frivolous things like "duty" has long passed.

You will map the deep, or you will die trying.

---

Hello all! Baka here, back at it again with a wild dark fantasy! I swear, I just love pulling myself into abominable horrors I can barely comprehend. Are you craving a sort of eldritch/lovecraftian dark fantasy survival romp? Do you have a soft spot for the old medieval aesthetic? Do you just really want to kill some monsters and maybe get scared in the process? I suggest you come give this a shot! If this generates enough interest in the comments, I'll open up an OoC and CS thread, and hopefully have our manmade terrors beginning sometime in the next couple days.

If you have questions, feel free to ask below or in a DM! If you're interested, also feel free to comment below - and, optionally, include one or more phobias the character in your head might possess. >:3 I plan to get particularly evil with how I approach the spooks and scares in this roleplay!

WARNING: I specified in the title that this is 18+. This is for a reason: the content of this roleplay will contain elements that will surely be disturbing to some, including but not limited to a whole lot of violence and bodily harm/mutilation. If you are rightfully squeamish or sensitive, I would ask that you look elsewhere: no honorable deed is commemorated here.

Some flexible requirements from all participants:
-Ideally posting once a week
-Shooting for a paragraph or two in their responses, at minimum of course
-Legible grammar and spelling, but I'm pretty lenient about this one (English is hard)
-A general willingness to work with myself and your fellow players; if you need something, please, ask!

Looking forward to trolling the depths with y'all!
-Baka

Wildly intriguing!

potential phobias/spooky stuff/things I think would scare a character if I had one:
- Being caved in/stuck in a small space, the rocks and rubble have fallen to trap them within a cavern or being stuck somewhere with no escape as water trickles in. The knowledge that you are doomed, being given time to process/accept/rage against it rather than it being instant.
- Monsters that trick you into thinking they're your friends/loved ones, siren songs to lure you over edges to your doom, watching someone think they are headed to the warm embrace of a friend only to plummet into darkness.
- Being forced to hurt themselves or others.
- The space not making any sense? Cosmic horror of an impossible space that shouldn't exist and yet you see it before you.
- Endless darkness and silence, the absence of anything at all.

Honestly the entire premise is spooky enough already.

Very interested.

How much leeway is there for creating our own backstory in a generic dark fantasy mode? I'm thinking a survivor of a sacked and war-torn city, a scoundrel who fears solitude and has a guilty conscience.

Very interested.

How much leeway is there for creating our own backstory in a generic dark fantasy mode? I'm thinking a survivor of a sacked and war-torn city, a scoundrel who fears solitude and has a guilty conscience.
I've got a basic couple of kingdoms established for a "broader" where are you from type question, but past that, the world is effectively your oyster! So long as you remember that your character is, in fact, just a lowly human lifeform, everything goes!~

And a fear of solitude you say? Don't you worry! So long as you stick with the party, surely nothing bad will happen! Right?

Right?

(EDIT: interest check closed)

Humble1 Humble1 SavannahSmiles SavannahSmiles CharmingCthulhu CharmingCthulhu Ian Temero Ian Temero DJ n0Mad DJ n0Mad Henley Henley Ayama Ayama

OOC is officially up! It links to the Lore and CS threads as well. I'll be keeping the interest check open for another day or two while I iron out the rest of the plan (and give everyone who wants in a chance to come in). As always, if you have any questions pertaining to anything at all, don't hesitate to shoot me a message in the OOC or in my DMs. I check often, I'll get back to you ASAP!

Last edited:
Bump-

If you're interested, now's the time to join! We still have room for more people!

my interest is piqued. if you have anywhere you've detailed some other aspects of the lore, that'd help tons to draft some idea of a character to apply with :)

my interest is piqued. if you have anywhere you've detailed some other aspects of the lore, that'd help tons to draft some idea of a character to apply with :)
(EDIT: interest check closed)

This links to our lore thread, which also indexes our OOC and CS threads. Now it's deliberately pretty open ended with plenty of room for expansion, but if you find enough here to fuel that interest further, then hop right in!
mmm... Tasty fear & hunger inspired rp... I'm interested
OOC is linked a little upwards, or alternatively, you can follow the link I just posted here and make your way there through lore. Come check it out!

Last edited:
TAKE ME

I love fear and hunger, and if you would have me as another roleplayer within this I would try my best to make characters that would help fit into the world Apologies if I'm being weird

TAKE ME

I love fear and hunger, and if you would have me as another roleplayer within this I would try my best to make characters that would help fit into the world Apologies if I'm being weird
Hop on in! We could absolutely use more characters. Link is just above!

Last call! This will be the final bump for this interest check. If you want in, there's never been a better time! Links are above, looking forward to losing my sanity with you!

Highly interested. I'm a big fan of dark fantasy. We shall indeed suffer.

Highly interested. I'm a big fan of dark fantasy. We shall indeed suffer.
I posted the OOC above, but just in case, here it is again:

(Edit: interest check closed)

Come right in! We would be more than happy to have you - and be blessed by a glorious moderator no less!

Last edited:
Right! After receiving an enormous amount of interest and a wonderful cast of characters, I am hereby closing this interest check. If you're only just discovering this thread, or never got around to voicing your intent to join, you can send me a direct message and, on a case by case basis, maybe just maybe I can squeeze you in ;) but act fast! That window is rapidly closing!

If you did voice your intent to join, and haven't posted in our CS threads yet, don't fret! You still have time to post a character by going through the forums I've already posted. If you can't find them, or if I've removed the links on this check (which I will shortly, to properly close it), reach out to me and I'll get you on track.

And if you have shown interest, contributed to the lore, and posted a character? ...I'll see you tomorrow! >: )

-Baka

Users who are viewing this thread

Back