Can someone explain to me the Fire Emblem Games?

The Unamed Character

Queen of the Damned
I have never played a fire emblem game before and I wanted to know what it is about before I bought one. Can someone please explain it to me?

The Fire Emblem series is a tactical turn-based rpg set across several different centuries in a medieval fantasy setting. A few of the main characters are related in some way but seperated by a few generations. Every game takes place in a new set of countries with different politics, without a continuous storyline, so there's no need to play them in order. The only thing that connects them is the fire emblem, which is like...a royal family crest? Thing? With stones in it? It's magic. Idk.

The turn-based mechanic is similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, Advanced Wars, and the Disgaea series. You take the role of a tactician and control an entire unit of soldiers in turn-based combat with a rock-paper-scissors-like advantage mechanism. You can recruit new soldiers automatically or by talking to them with the right character. One of the more unique features is perma-death: if a character falls in battle, they can't be used for the rest of the game.

Most of the older games are untranslated, so unless you speak Japanese, the first game in the series is Fire Emblem (The Burning Sword) for the Gameboy Advance. The sequels are The Sacred Stones (GBA), Path of Radiance (GC), Radiant Dawn (Wii), Shadow Dragon (DS), Awakening (3DS), and the newly released Fates, which is split into two games: Birthright and Conquest.

I would definitely recommend the series. It's challenging, even frustrating at times, but very engaging and rewarding. I particuarly like building relationships between characters and seeing how they react outside of combat through conversations. And you can influence which characters get together at the end, which is fun. ; )

Depends on which game. Although they all share similar structure and game play, they're all VERY different (Except for ones that are direct successors , like POR and RD, and Fates and Awakening). There's 14 games, from the NES to the 3DS, and the guy above (Not the Waifu Simulator one, that's only in the last two games, and IMO is overstated by people. I meant the Saccharine Cyanide person) summed it up pretty well. Although I wanna mention that pretty much all of the older games are fan-translated, and are really fun, albeit not as polished as the newer ones. And I prefer some of the older ones (Especially Geneology and the GBA games) more than the newer ones. But the new ones are great too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back