Campy guilty pleasure titles?

Captifate

{ prince
Resident Evil takes itself so seriously it hurts. I love how over the top it's become, but I do understand the pain of folks who started with the original titles.

The PS2 has a looot of this kind of game. I think the relatively low barrier of entry helped a lot of bizarre stuff flourish. A few years ago when Gamestop was shrinking their PS2 inventory they had some ridiculous buy 2 get 2 free sale and I just loaded my cart with everything under 5 dollars or so that looked remotely interesting. I ended up with some pretty weird stuff that way.

For example, Mister Mosquito. You play as a mosquito and you have to suck the blood out of this Japanese family and do so stealthily enough that you don't get swatted.

There's also a series of survival games that are basically about surviving your typical disaster movie. One's called Disaster Report and the other's Raw Danger and get a load of this boxart.

Zsu3Q6D.jpg

I haven't played my copy yet though but I know I'm going to have a good time just looking at that picture.

Another infamous campy series is Cho Aniki. It's an arcade-style side scrolling shooter series about big burly muscle men.

Tokyo Jungle for the PS3 might count too. It's a survival game where you play an animal trying to survive in post-apocalyptic Tokyo. You get in fights with other animals, find mates, and unlock more animals to play as. You start out with housepet type animals like a fluffy Pomeranian but the unlocks get increasingly bizarre and I think you can be a dinosaur at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the "this is hilarious" rating option? You could start a collection of these obscure titles. Or do them Let's Play videos in case no one else has touched them yet.

Deadly Creatures is one of the oddest games I've seen people enjoy before. Specifically, the Game Grumps. I think I had more fun watching them be blown away by it than the game itself.

Part of me wants to get a copy of House of the Dead: Overkill for the gratuitous usage of f-bombs. It looks incredible.

[QUOTE="Master Jaster]Same with Resident Evil. 4 is my all time favorite video game. Zero was my childhood.

[/QUOTE]
Did you ever play the castle area mishearing the cultist enemies? My brother and I swore they were saying "moldy quesadilla" which is far less threatening than "Morir es vivir."

Captifate said:
Did you ever play the castle area mishearing the cultist enemies? My brother and I swore they were saying "moldy quesadilla" which is far less threatening than "Morir es vivir."
My friend's mom was actually translating all the Spanish in the game for us while we were playing ("They really love their "shit", don't they?" - Catherine on The Village), but on the island there was this one voice track where I could've sworn they were screaming "It's a cookie!". I never found out what they were actually saying.

[QUOTE="Master Jaster]My friend's mom was actually translating all the Spanish in the game for us while we were playing ("They really love their "shit", don't they?" - Catherine on The Village), but on the island there was this one voice track where I could've sworn they were screaming "It's a cookie!". I never found out what they were actually saying.

[/QUOTE]
Bless your friend's mom and her sweet soul.

I'm going to hear "it's a cookie!" if and when I wind up replaying that game. Oh my god.

Basically any of SUDA51's games. They're all super ridiculous and beyond entertaining. GodHand and Bouncer are in those quirky PS2 era games too that were way out there while still technically challenging.

Side note - I'm one of those bitter Resident Evil fans. Started on RE2 and I can't look at them anymore lol

Zweit said:
Basically any of SUDA51's games. They're all super ridiculous and beyond entertaining. GodHand and Bouncer are in those quirky PS2 era games too that were way out there while still technically challenging.
Side note - I'm one of those bitter Resident Evil fans. Started on RE2 and I can't look at them anymore lol
SUDA51 is just. I don't even know how to describe those titles. Just wow. In a good way. I'm wow'd by them.

They don't make them like they used to. I think Revelations 2 tried to ease back into the original pacing and whatnot. It's interesting that they decided to make it an episodic release. That and they suddenly remembered Barry.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Negative Zone]The PS2 has a looot of this kind of game. I think the relatively low barrier of entry helped a lot of bizarre stuff flourish. A few years ago when Gamestop was shrinking their PS2 inventory they had some ridiculous buy 2 get 2 free sale and I just loaded my cart with everything under 5 dollars or so that looked remotely interesting. I ended up with some pretty weird stuff that way.
For example, Mister Mosquito. You play as a mosquito and you have to suck the blood out of this Japanese family and do so stealthily enough that you don't get swatted.

There's also a series of survival games that are basically about surviving your typical disaster movie. One's called Disaster Report and the other's Raw Danger and get a load of this boxart.

Zsu3Q6D.jpg

I haven't played my copy yet though but I know I'm going to have a good time just looking at that picture.

Another infamous campy series is Cho Aniki. It's an arcade-style side scrolling shooter series about big burly muscle men.

Tokyo Jungle for the PS3 might count too. It's a survival game where you play an animal trying to survive in post-apocalyptic Tokyo. You get in fights with other animals, find mates, and unlock more animals to play as. You start out with housepet type animals like a fluffy Pomeranian but the unlocks get increasingly bizarre and I think you can be a dinosaur at some point.

[/QUOTE]
I played the shit out of Mister Mosquito when it came out. Holy moly was that an interesting game. It was released on a PS2 demon CD in an issue of Game Informer if I remember correctly. It was the same disc that showed of Skygunner, a game made by ATLUS before they were what they are today. Which means this is actually a happy title and not a depressing one.

Speaking of ATLUS... Their game Baroque... is a huge guilty pleasure of mine, but it's not exactly campy... it's more like mediocre dungeon crawler. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back