• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Call of the Multiverse

(@SkyFilms )

"Oh, of course." He hadn't really realised that she was blind until now, the cane gave it away. He moved back to the note and scanned the list for the boots, reading it word for word. "Pathfinder Boots - No, they don't make you run faster. Instead, they sense incoming danger and alert you to it. Avoid all sorts of booby traps and dodge attack after attack. Indiana Jones is jealous. That sounds useful, kind of like... a spidey sense for your feet."

(@Solitaire )

Shalin listened idly taking in the useful information, as she suddenly found her chuckle lightly at the boys joke.

"That and I have seeing eye dogs on my feet almost," she proposed with a smirk as she readjusted her floral top hat. Perhaps that was the feeling within her, a sense of danger ahead.

"Thank you." She spoke gratefully.

( @SkyFilms )

"You're welcome." He smiled in reply, rather pleased with his lame Spiderman joke. "Well, that's bound to come in handy. More than mine I think. I get to flip a coin for luck, or... bad luck for the enemy. I don't know if a bad flip means we get bad luck, or it it's just... good for us and bad for them all the time."

@Solitaire )

Shalin rose an unseen brow, he could very well be over thinking this. Though she was one for organization she would just wait it out and see what happened as a conclusion, but it wasn't entirely her choice she knew.

"Well how is your usual luck? If it's bad I hope the second theory is the correct one." She spoke truthfully, in her opinion it could be helpful in many situations rather it be during battle or perhaps with a puzzle.

"And maybe we could test it out, in a simple situation obviously. Like a card game."

"My luck is like any, it has it's ups and downs... although it's usually more on the downside when it comes to coin flips of dice rolls. I guess there's enough people with cool things that it won't matter so much." He lowered his voice. "I really wanted that book was I was too slow."

Indira rose to her knees to peer at the sheet of paper. Reading in English tended to be cumbersome for her, so it took a moment before she could register the explanation behind the Arsenal Dice. Roll to summon a random weapon.

Random weapon.

She froze, grip on the edge of the table tightening till her knuckles turned white. You Bastard paused in clawing at her feet to look up, wondering why his large grumpy chew toy had stilled so. What kind of sick joke is this? she asked herself even as a metaphorical buffering wheel spun in her mind, waiting for her to process this new information. Who gives such an unpredictable weapon to an obviously obsessive-compulsive control freak?

Unseeing, she stared ahead of her, already imagining the chaos in store. Her indignation, tiredness and natural predisposition to irritability bubbled over and evaporated, leaving a void of despair. Disorder had followed her all the way to the end of the Multiverse. She would forever be caught in the tornado of turmoil, the monsoon of mayhem, the arbitrary alliteration of anarchy. There would be no escape.

She whimpered.

[Casually ignores the fact that she chose the dice herself and flies into the distance]

Ari looked at the bands. "Desert huh." She said, looking at them. She liked the look of the bracelets, and they were kind of warm. She would deal with them. "Not to bad." Ari said, smiling at the bracelets. She looked up at the rest of the teens. She wanted to get to know some of them, seeing as they were all guardians of the multiverse. But she had no idea which to talk to first.

"What flavors do they offer for multiversal Hot Pockets?" Was the first question immediately sputtered from Kaius mouth. A serious expression of inquisition accompanying it. He didn't have too many worries about the labyrinth. He'd read enough Greek Mythology and Percy Jackson books to get the basic concept. It sounded fun. Which, incidentally, only went to demonstrate the slight, just enough, break in his mind that allowed one to equate danger into fun. He felt like Harry Potter. He glanced around, wondering if one of them might be Cedric.

As Valeray continued, and the others began to socialize, Kaius walked up and read the list now sitting on the table. He sighed, rubbing a hand through his thick, black hair. "Forest powers?" He practically gagged. He knew he should've chosen the ring. Or anything else really. What this some type of metaphorically sick joke on Valeray's part? Give the kid who always stared at the sky an escape from the Earth, only to turn around and make him forced to use that Earth to fight? Blah. He didn't like the theme this story was taking.

"So... how exactly do I use this thing anyway?" He asked out-loud, to no one in particularly, already focusing his energy into it as the words came out. He focused his imagination into the pendant. Do anything. He thought, wondering how well that would work.

Valeray nodded.

"Yes, you should probably eat before I hurl you all to your first experience of death. It just so happens that these ones are 'Atomic Marinara'. Care to try some? I presume you are all rather hungry, and I promise that the food will not explode in a mushroom cloud as the flavor might suggest. Probably. They definitely won't...I hope..."

He turned and began walking towards the door through which the scent of Atomic Marinara was coming from, and gestured for the group to follow, raising an eyebrow as he turned around and saw Kaius's chosen pendant summon a thicket of thornbushes that rose up and surrounded him like a prison.

"Oh dear..."

@The Villain King

"Hah, excellent. Now the question is do I just read the spell when I need it or study up and memorize? Oh well, this will be fun." Catches the part about being revived from death. "You mean we get rezzed if we die on this gig too? Okay, best job ever." Raleigh sets to follow Valeray inside to get something to eat and prepare to die. "I feel as if I somehow ripped off some game's marketing slogan there."

Loki read the list as it fluttered to the tabletop. "Cut through anything?" He looked at the ornate knife in his hand. Well. There goes THAT plan. He corrected his grip on it once more,as to not accidentally kill himself with a nudge of the elbow. "Not EXACTLY my style,but..." Despite the dangers to doing so,Loki tossed Occam's Razor into the air,and caught it by the blade,thumb and index knuckle clamping down on the flat. Afterwards,he casually flicked it to reverse the knife,catching it by the hilt once more. He was quite plainly intimately familiar with blades of all sorts. "I can make it work. Explains why a scabbard's a bad idea,though." As he listened to people talk,however,something hit him.

It didn't cut the table when I threw it. "Master Valeray...If the Razor can cut all things...Then why didn't it bury itself to the hilt in the table when I threw it?"

A Labyrinth? Andy frowned. Ever since she could remember she's turned to the blade for comfort. The pills always tempted her, the rope calling out to her like food to a starving man. She recounted all the times death seemed inviting. Now? She wasn't so sure. Yes her demons were haunting her still, and just after accepting the responsibility of a Guardian of the Multiverse she's told she will most likely die in a freaky Labyrinth? David Bowie would laugh his ass off.

Andy was still grovelling about the Labyrinth when Valeray set the sheet with their powers of their artifacts listed down on the table. But the idea of having powers calmed her down. Great, now she could beat people up! Now she can see what the bullies loved so much about picking on people, her especially.

Andy casually walked up in wonder of her special gift bestowed upon her via her ring and the almighty multiverse. Just kidding, she just sat there and watched as others complained about their powers and whatnot. No, she isn't that pathetic. What she actually did was slowly and quietly walked up toward the table to quench her curiosity of the unique power her ring possessed. As she read the line concerning her artefact, her ring seemed to icily burn her skin, much like it did when she chose it. A small smile crept on her lips. 'Thunderhead Ring - Grants "storm" powers.' Awesome! She had the power to practically control the wind, thunder, rain, lightning, monsoons, you get the picture. She was going to have so much fun being like Zeus. These maggots wouldn't be able to defeat her.... hopefully.

With the satisfying knowledge of her ring's power, she still felt doubt. What if she's one of the ones to lose and finally give in to the demons that haunt her? If she died some excruciating death, it would be even more torturous if she came back to life to experience it again. Even with the ring, she wasn't sure if she could do this.

Although, the mention of food stopped her thoughts completely. Her stomach tightened, and her mouth suddenly went dry. She hadn't eaten since the day before because she doesn't eat much when she's depressed, and well, she hated her mom leaving her to battle herself alone. I guess Andy wouldn't have to die on an empty stomach. Besides, these other teen guardians who will inevitably kill her needed names, because faces just wasn't enough for her to know in her last living moments.

Andy sighed. People pissed her off, but food didn't. Not unless it was dead, and didn't crawl off the table before it digests in her stomach.

@Alad V

Valeray turned around and smiled knowingly, as if he fully expected that particular question to arise. Which, of course, he did. I mean, come on, guardian of the multiverse, of course he saw it coming. He saw that one coming like the end of Frozen. Way too obvious.

"Not only would it have buried itself up to the hilt in the table, it probably would have gone straight through the table from the momentum, slicing the thing in two like a stick of hot butter. But it didn't, and the reason that my table is still intact is because you threw the knife before you chose it, so its powers hadn't manifested yet. If you threw it now, it would probably go through the table, through the floor, through the basement ceiling, through the basement floor, and out the bottom of the mansion. I'd recommend not doing that, for obvious reasons. Like I said, that artifact is extremely dangerous, and I trust you to not slice your comrades in two by accident."

With that, he turned to everyone else and beckoned for them to follow him into the kitchen.

"The Hot Pockets are just right. Not burnt, but not undercooked. Better come and get some before they're all gone."

Kaius frowned, which was quite the hilarious expression considering he was completely wrapped in a cloak of shrubbery. The aromatic crispness of nature filled his nose, thorns prickling against his skin. He smelled like rosebuds. He grimaced. He hated citizen kane.

"Oh, of course, let's just go off to eat deathly sounding atomic hot pockets. Don't explain how to reverse this or anything." He frowned, lifting the heavy bush up with his arms. He waddled behind the group.

Indira was roused from her pit of despair by a particularly hard bite from You Bastard. She didn't know what Hot Pockets were, but she supposed that if she was going to wallow in misery, she might as well do it on a full stomach. She rose unsteadily and shuffled after the old man, casting a pitying glance at the kid with the bush.

"There's no beef in these things, is there?"

@Keo Major @supercrunched

"Beef? No, no, it's pork, with cheese and marinara sauce that's to die for...not literally, of course..."

Valeray cleared his throat and snapped his fingers, releasing Kaius from the grip of the thorn bushes in a cyan flash. He then led the teens into the kitchen.

The kitchen, like the rest of the mansion, was freaking huge. Like, damn, that was one huge kitchen. It was cavernous, to say the least, and had more cabinets, sinks, drawers, ovens, stovetops, and tables than one man could ever possibly know what to do with. There was a gigantic knife block in the corner, with knives ranging from these-should-be-classified-as-swords sized to knife blades so small that they were essentially just a handle. There were stovetops large enough to put a freaking cauldron on, and there were stovetops small enough to heat up a cup of chai. There were ovens with a volume capacity similar to that of an Olympic pool, and there were ovens just large enough to fit in a teacup. A chandelier of pots, pans, griddles, saucepans, and skillets of varying sizes, shapes, and number of dimensions hung from the ceiling, like a giant iron M.C Escher chandelier.

There was also an entire wall devoted to space for microwave ovens, and in the far left microwave of the lowest row sat an unremarkable bag of Hot Pockets, the smell wafting around the room like...damnit, I can't think of a simile. Wafting around the room like...like ghosts...nah...whatever, you get the picture.

It was this microwave that Valeray approached, and he removed the bag of Hot Pockets from the oven. It looked like any other bag of Hot Pockets, except there was a picture of a mushroom cloud and words next to it that read "Atomic Marinara Flavor".

He held the bag by the corner, as if it was an atomic bomb (which it very well could have been), and placed it gently on a plate that sat on the nearest table. The table had already been set for all of them, with plates and napkins and glasses full of a liquid that resembled Windex but tasted amazing. Valeray tore open the bag and emptied the Hot Pockets out onto the plate in the center of the table, motioning for everyone to take some.

"Bon Appetit."

Alice lightly brushed her hand over a glass counter as she passed, her head turning side to side. "This place is mad," she breathed. Valeray had more interesting things around every corner. She resolved to enjoy herself while she was here, and maybe make some friends.

Her artifact was held tightly in her other hand. Alice was still wary of the strange toy, not totally certain about what it did. When she'd tested it out back in the Inner Sanctum, her leg had started rotating in small circles impossibly fast and she'd grabbed onto it with both hands before its motion stopped. It still felt wobbly.

She took a seat, though she didn't feel hungry. Instead, she brushed a strand of unruly hair out of her face and examined the present company, from the Indian girl with the little tiger to the sixteen identical boys with cat eyes.

Hicks had read what his item could do. Summoning spirits to face his foes? He didn't need that, he'd rather face them himself. He'd use it to defend others if he had to. But that was not his concern. His concern was food.

Once he arrived in the kitchen, he snatched up three of the hot pockets, scarfing them all down to fast to taste. The man was hungry, and needed food.

Perhaps now was the time to socialize, though he'd make sure not to do most of the talking.

"Food." Yes, he said it in a deadpan way. He always talks like that. Raleigh set to eating his hot pocket while reading through his little spell book. "So let's see. In Van von Hunter the ultimate magic user was someone who skipped the decades of study and went straight to the ultimate final uber spell so as to be able to be the strongest while still young. I wonder if I should follow that example or not." He started to turn toward the back of the book and then would stop before starting to do so again.

"Oh, I suppose we should all at least know each others' names by the way. I'm Raleigh. How about the rest of you?"

"Ahh, thanks." Kaius muttered, flailing around his arms in freedom. He'd been just about to try and get rid of it himself, but Valeray had saved him the time. Thankfully though, he had learned something about how to use it. The thing obviously, as indeed most reality manipulating items are wont to do, responded to imaginative thought. But, he'd worry more about practicing with it later. For now... his stomach growled.

He picked up one of the surreptitiously titled Atomic Marinara hot pockets. He sniffed it gingerly, tempted to just offer it to the tiger cub instead. But, he didn't know when he'd get to eat again and what terrible choices would be presented then. So, he nibbled on it a bit. Bit nukey. Not bad. He entertained a few thoughts about Silk Spectre and Dr. Manhattan, but such things shouldn't be repeated out loud.

He looked around the crowd, deciding now might be a good time to try and make a friend. He wasn't really the most social person, but being that they were all chosen as guardians he figured he'd see them quite often. Might as well be genial. He looked at the girls nervously. He'd never done well speaking to women. Luckily, the boy who'd chosen the book broke the ice first.

"Raleigh? Like... scattering... or One Piece. Hmm. I'm Kaius. Nice to meet you." He spoke in a quite, almost whispered voice. He took a seat next to a grey-eyed, black haired boy. The guy looked rather serious and stern, dedicated to eating his food. He was definitely not the type of person you wanted to pester with questions. So, of course, Kaius spoke up. "Ahh... chain guy... So, like, what's your origin story?"

@Keo Major

"More as in roe deer's meadow given that it is the original meaning of the name." He chuckles as he observes Kaius trying to get the other fellow to speak. 'I really hope some of the others will introduce themselves otherwise it is going to get confusing when I name everyone hey you.'

He takes a few more bites of his hot pocket to see who else will speak before looking back at his book for a moment to read a spell in preparation for the coming labyrinth.

They didn't have hot pockets in Dorian's world. How sad. He stared at them curiously for a few moments before plucking one from the pile and sniffing it. It smelled pretty good and he took a bite, then another, then another. It didn't take long for what was quite possibly his new favorite food to be gone, so he grabbed another one.

"These are great." He said between bites. "I had no idea what to expect when you said 'hot pocket'. I couldn't even try to imagine anything..."

He fell silent again as he devoured that hot pocket, wondering where the atomic part came in. He was partially expecting chili, hot chili, not nope. Once he was done with the second one, he looked down at You Bastard, tiger cubs were adorable and oh look, they were finally introducing themselves.

"I'm Dorian, by the way. I uh, I'm not really good at fighting. I can use a bow pretty well, but that's it." That seemed a good enough introduction.

After he had finished eating, he grabbed a napkin and wiped the remains of his food from his lips. And he noticed the person next to him, asking him his origin story. He would have smiled, chuckled, but that was not who he was. He was the kind of person who spoke rarely, and if he did, it was important.

"The less you know about someone, the less you grieve when they die," Was his answer, in his monotonous rolling voice.

He had the locket in his pocket( xD ), but now took it out again, opening and closing it. Soon enough he'd know just what these specters looked like.

"I'm Alice," the girl chimed in after Dorian, noting Raleigh's strangely colored eyes. He was quite a looker too. Trying not to stare, she took a sip of her drink. "Nice to meet you."

Caught by a sudden dizzy spell - again - Alice furrowed her brow and put her glass down. You know what? She bet it was caused by the spinning top. Alice reached into her pocket and grasped the artifact, but it felt the same as always. Her fingers tapped on the glass of whatever-this-was absentmindedly.

"This power is rubbish," she complained good-naturedly. "Spinning in circles?"

At her words, the drink started spinning violently, eliciting a yelp from the girl. It sprayed blue liquid onto Raleigh, herself, and several other guardians of the multiverse before she grabbed it with both hands. Like she wasn't wet enough already. "Aw, hell - sorry about that -" she grabbed for her napkin, blushing severely.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Nivrad00

"Ah, but Alice that power could be quite useful." He wipes up some of the liquid that got on himself with a chuckle. "Imagine what the power to spin things can do to someone's neck... or spine. More or less you have the power to wrench and break most any creatures bones if nothing else or at least I think that is a possible manipulation of it. Never mind enemies that aren't actually flesh and blood would probably be held back that way much easier than through some of the powers the rest of us got. Water elementals I would imagine would have a hard time doing much if you have their internals all spinning around for instance."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back