• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Calamity's Shadow: The Awakening (Interest Check)

MythyDW

Five Thousand Club
The world of Meldena was born with a dark secret in its core: The Calamity. For eons the Calamity ruled over the world, its daemons roaming the land and feasting on the discord created by conflict. By the end, there were only two sentient races left on Meldena: Humans, and Dragons.

Dragons were the most powerful, blessed with affinity for magic and natural power. Humans, once considered the weakest, had outlasted the rest with ingenuity and their ability to unite. Dragons and humans soon came together and created the pact: an agreement between their races that imbued both with power yet unknown to their race.

Humans gained the ability to use magic and dragons gained the ability to transform into a human and hide among their population while still retaining their power. Eventually, the fight came to the Calamity. On the verge of defeat, the Calamity cut the continent of Lokanon in half and fell into a sleep deep within the ocean. The pact was thus invoked to bind the Calamity to sleep forever.

However, his daemons still existed. When conflict rages the daemons will manifest, the mere appearance of the shadowy, physical monsters weakening the bind. As well, the cleaving of Lokanon weakened the pact - the eastern Kingdom of Rhodia had been cut off from the dragons, and thus began to grow their technology. The Dragonkin of the west have lived under the dragons since the cleaving, wearing tattoos that react and glow to the presence and use of magic.

The humans found each other again, but the differences drew them to suspicion and eventually an action ignited a war. Thus was the Calamity awoke once again.
----------

The players in this RP will be able to create a human from the steamfantasy faction (Kingdom of Rhoda) - who have cylinder-based/bolt-action weapons (as well as fantasy weapons) and automata; or the Dragonkin who wield powerful magic and enchanted gear. The PCs will be bounty hunters, going after corrupted humans and slaying daemons for coin - all while working together and helping people survive in a world growing increasingly more dangerous.
(Dragons will be restricted to GMPC most likely)

That's my idea! If you're interested, please drop a message below, and don't hesitate to ask questions or make comments!​

sounds interesting enough, and a lot of potential lore to weave and work with. count me in!

Cool. It'll be a dragonbro for sure if I do it.

I'm allergic to tech.

....slowly pulls out a smart phone

Parks And Rec Reaction GIF

ahahhaa!!

and MythyDW MythyDW i'll dm you about the questions pertaining to the lore, aight? i wanna ask a lot about it but i don't wanna bombard the thread so soon, haha

Go ahead and ask here! I really don't mind :D
Well given that I don't know much about how magic works in this world please keep in mind that this is merely the basic idea and if you take issue with anything or think certain limitations are not necessary then let me know as I tend to give my character's weaknesses with physical drawbacks of some kind as I am not a fan of making weaknesses that aren't actually weaknesses that never come into play. I also think it balances things out to make them fair with the number of things I usually come up with for a character. Also depending on how you would like to run things she may not be able to do some of these things from the beginning. My character would likely be a dragonkin as their abilities fall into the category of magic, specifically crystal magic since my favorite power is crystal manipulation.

So she can convert any solid matter into crystal, it works something like transmutation, she has to know what she's converting and what she wants to convert it into otherwise it very likely won't come outright. If the source of matter is more obscure like say moisture in the air then it will take more time to accumulate a decent amount of crystal. She can create different types of crystals and even create her own unique crystal compounds that take traits from different crystals to get the desired result. For example say she wanted to make a shield to defend against an explosion, of course, she'd want it t be hard enough to survive the impact so she'd likely go with something like Diamond or Wurtzite, the only issue is canon burns very easily and Diamond nor Wurtzite is nothing but carbon so she'd probably mix a form of tungsten in like Scheelite in to make it fireproof or at least fire-resistant since by mixing them the compound does not have the full properties of both crystals it depends on the ratio of which they were mixed, the more scheelite that's mixed in the more heat-resistant the compound is, the more diamond that is mixed in the harder the compound is.

She can manipulate magic crystals, creating different spells depending on the combination or nature of the crystals. She can also store energy in crystals to use as a supplement for more powerful spells she wouldn't normally have enough energy to perform on her own, think of it like a bank. A week's pay probably wouldn't get you a mansion but having a certain amount each week will eventually allow you to buy it.

The drawbacks are as follows:

She must know what she is converting and the structure of what she wants to convert it into (The molecular structure of crystals is a series of triangle patterns so she essentially rearranges the molecular structure of the solid matter to make it into a crystal)
She cannot convert energy, air, sound waves, or light into crystal.
Creating crystal requires outside resources
Crystals can shatter at a certain sound of vibration frequency
Using this magic (particularly the conversion part) speeds up her metabolism, so it can leave her very hungry, tired, and weak of she I've uses it.

Otherwise, I had an idea of making their physical combat abilities revolve around something like dancing and acrobatics, but I shall stop now before I make an entire character sheet. If you take issue with anything, have concerns, or think something is unnecessary again let me know and I will be sure to fix it whenever we're allowed to make characters.

Ooh, I am so tempted by this, and am craving to make a shield paladin with the ability to generate weightless but somewhat durable barriers that extend from his weapons, shields, and arms. It is similar to crystal magic like what Aquanette has, but draws from the wielder's energy supply, be it magical or physical energy. Once you run out of both reserves, that is it. You have to retreat or fight exhausted and without any special abilities, and my dude would have a smaller pool of magical reserves, if any.

Aquanette Aquanette Thanny Thanny

Alright, so one thing to know about magic is that only Dragons can unlock a human's power. Dragonkin live as part of dragon clan hierarchy — generally as soldiers or agents when they directly serve a dragon. When a dragon chooses your character, they become their patron. The patron marks the agent with tattoos that can channel magic from the self and air. These tattoos glow when they use magic and shimmer when magic is used around them.

BUT an agent's tattoos can only channel magic which corresponds to that patron's element. So in order to use crystal magic, your patron would need to be a crystal dragon. Also a side note is that the tattoos are not subtle. Generally, they span half the face down the back to the entirety of one arm. They also contain an individual mark on the center of the back that only the patron dragon can replicate. Someone skilled can read the marks and tell who is an agent of whom, among other things.

I hope that all makes sense ><

Also, the OOC is up! We can move chatting there :)

Sounds good to me! I have a bad habit of skimming through content, so I very much missed that.

So dragonkin will be marked and set to a certain element based on air and self, and have neat tattoos that make Clan MechWarriors feel shame and regret of their own markings (a cookie if you get the reference). General humans favour technology and tools but do not have a dragon patron or magic. Dragons there probably have moved off-continent or have hidden themselves. Very interesting.

Would this barrier idea serve better as a canister weapon or magic? Are there any energy or physical-based dragons in your universe? If neither, I can alternate to a different idea for character creation.

Edit: Silly me. I missed the OOC info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back