• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Cads and Credibility Characters and OOC

THE ROLEPLAY

Greetings everyone!

Here is a place for the guests of Lady Marjorie to assemble for the ball, as well as a place to clear up any details and discuss the roleplay out of character.

If you are interested in joining this roleplay then please express interest here. As this is a ball, the more the merrier!

Please post the name and some basic details of your character here before you begin the roleplay. It might be nice to have some connections established between some characters before we begin (friends, relatives, enemies?) so this is a place you can hash those details out too. Tagging people you are interacting with makes things easier.

If you would like to use a character sheet, something like this might be useful:

Name:
Title/rank (if any):
Fortune: (eg. rich, poor, going up or going down in the world...)
Appearance:
Character (personality):
Profession (if any):

Notes on rank

If in doubt, put "gentleman" or "gentleman's daughter." This is a fairly broad term which usually means people who own land, but can also refer to people who made their fortune "in trade" and members of the clergy. Within this there is snobbery around money, family connections etc.

Sons: generally speaking the eldest son inherits and often doesn't have a profession. Younger sons might go into the church, the army, into law or politics.

The army/navy and the church: the church is seen as a very desirable position for a young man, and the job of curate comes with its own house and land. the army/navy is dangerous, because it gives people the opportunity to rise in fortune/rank through merit. Some people do not approve of this, but soldiers are very popular with the young women.

If you would like your character to be of higher rank, there are details here:
ARISTOCRACY IN ENGLAND, Nobility, Peers, Peeresses, and other People

Remember, the highest ranking character to appear in an Austen novel is a Baronet, and the highest ranking characters even mentioned are the wife of a Viscount and the daughter of an Earl.

Last edited:
Mariah Gossage
Name: Mariah Elizabeth Gossage (Miss Gossage)

Relationship status: Single

Title/rank: Grandaughter of a Baronet

Fortunes: Her Aunt and patron Lady Marjorie Demarke is the widowed wife of a Viscount and very wealthy

Appearance: Tall and elegant, with pale skin, dark hair and dark eyes. She has a high, noble forehead, but her greek elegance is marred a little by a little, rather flat nose.

Character (personality): Very correct. Miss Gossage aims to do credit to her position in her aunt's house by being the lady of the house. For someone so young, she has great poise, and generally pulls of the task admirably. Still, it does seem that her version of this role mainly involves hosting many parties, being the best dressed and best groomed at all of them, speaking with great condescension to all of the guests, taking an interest in all their affairs, deciding which of her neighbours constitute the "best set" and helping them to realise their potential in that regard.
Profession: None, natch.

Family connections: Mariah, along with her sister Annabelle lives with her Aunt Marjorie, who is the very first lady of the neighbourhood, the widow of Viscount Demarke. Mariah herself is the daughter of Marjorie's sister, and both are the daughters of a Baronet. This seemingly pristine pedigree, however, is not without its complications. Mariah's mother, it is understood, did not follow her sister's lead, and married very badly. The Gossage sisters are in their Aunt's care partly to save them from the embarrassment of such an upbringing (they had previously lived with relatives in London, and briefly attended a ladies' school). This, of course, is kept rather quiet in their new neighbourhood.

I wouldn't usually do this but... Portrait!

6006825.jpg

(the painter flattered her nose in this portrait, it really is flatter than that, and the bridge not nearly so well defined)

Last edited:
Annabelle Gossage
Name: Annabelle Francis Gossage (Miss Annabelle)

Title/rank: Grandaughter of a Baronet

Fortunes: Her Aunt and patron Lady Marjorie Demarke is the widowed wife of a Viscount and very wealthy

Appearance: Not very tall, but hoping for a late growth spurt to put her on par with her sister. Her features resemble her sister's, but she is rather darker in complexion, and rather than a flat nose her classical face is offset by a rather snub one. The vivacity of her countenance, however, and the brightness of her eyes, often leave people commenting that she is a very pretty girl indeed.

Character (personality): Miss Annabelle does not feel herself lady of the house, and so is not quite so correct as her sister, and is much livelier. Many people think this makes her more agreeable- she is even called amiable with some frequency- but in fact her liveliness is just that- liveliness, which is not always very amiable.

Family connections: Like her sister, she is the niece of a Lady, the grand daughter of a Baronet and the child of a very unsuitable marriage between a Baronet's daughter and a man who doesn't merit description.

Portrait!

5981370.jpg

A miniature for a miniature.

Last edited:
Greetings everyone!

Here is a place for the guests of Lady Marjorie to assemble for the ball, as well as a place to clear up any details and discuss the roleplay out of character.

If you are interested in joining this roleplay then please express interest here. As this is a ball, the more the merrier!

Please post the name and some basic details of your character here before you begin the roleplay. It might be nice to have some connections established between some characters before we begin (friends, relatives, enemies?) so this is a place you can hash those details out too. Tagging people you are interacting with makes things easier.

If you would like to use a character sheet, something like this might be useful:

Name:
Title/rank (if any):
Fortune: (eg. rich, poor, going up or going down in the world...)
Appearance:
Character (personality):
Profession (if any):

Notes on rank

If in doubt, put "gentleman" or "gentleman's daughter." This is a fairly broad term which usually means people who own land, but can also refer to people who made their fortune "in trade" and members of the clergy. Within this there is snobbery around money, family connections etc.

Sons: generally speaking the eldest son inherits and often doesn't have a profession. Younger sons might go into the church, the army, into law or politics.

The army/navy and the church: the church is seen as a very desirable position for a young man, and the job of curate comes with its own house and land. the army/navy is dangerous, because it gives people the opportunity to rise in fortune/rank through merit. Some people do not approve of this, but soldiers are very popular with the young women.

If you would like your character to be of higher rank, there are details here:
ARISTOCRACY IN ENGLAND, Nobility, Peers, Peeresses, and other People

Remember, the highest ranking character to appear in an Austen novel is a Baronet, and the highest ranking characters even mentioned are the wife of a Viscount and the daughter of an Earl.
Now how high ranking might my noble be in the army?

Looks like I will have to do a bit of research for this RP :o
Not sure where to even start for my character, all I know is so far that she is young and single

Looks like I will have to do a bit of research for this RP :o
Not sure where to even start for my character, all I know is so far that she is young and single

Lolol I've been trying to keep things simple, but I get excited about regency stuff so a lot of detail keeps creeping in. Young and single is a good start. You don't have to go into heaps of detail for her background, you can just say she is the daughter of a respectable gentleman and then focus on her pretty face and nice personality :) or if you want to add a little interest you could say her family are a little bit poorer than the others, or slightly less well-bred, and so she's self-conscious. Or maybe the opposite, maybe her family is seen as quite important in the nighbourhood. It's all about relationships really, don't worry too much about historical accuracy.

NOTICE:
When you post your character, it would be good for you to say what time zone you're in (or simply what time it currently is for you) and, if you can, when you will be online and how quickly you tend to reply. Just so I can get a sense of the timing of the roleplay :)

For interest it is 10:48 am here, I am home sick so intend to be replying quite regularly, at least for today. Probably 3+ posts depending how quickly others respond :)

Winter_Wolf Winter_Wolf jbreezy jbreezy The Fluffiest Floof The Fluffiest Floof Generic Brooding Antihero Generic Brooding Antihero Prince of Corruption Prince of Corruption Maxilgal Maxilgal thumbelinaaa thumbelinaaa

Now how high ranking might my noble be in the army?

Good question! I'm looking into army ranks now, because I'm not very well versed. Captain seems like a safe bet, Winter_Wolf Winter_Wolf might be able to give you more advice!

I'm not as well versed on how royalty/nobility played into British military ranking at the time, but this might help:

Military service by British royalty - Wikipedia

If your character has some notable exploits and connections, you might bump them up to Major or above, but I'm not as sure about General ranks if Austen didn't typically have very high ranking nobility (the famous Arthur Wellesey for instance was Field Marshal, but a Duke). My army character will probably be either a Lieutenant or Captain I think.

b87723d978991f3f152ec18df7d3c370--world-war-one-lieutenant.jpg

This portrait was only just finished recently; it makes him look serious--even dull--though he is no stranger to humor and such.

Name: August Burns

Relationship status: single

Title/rank (if any): Captain (Army).

Fortune: He has had some help financially from his family, however he's always saved as much of his Captain's pay as he can, with the hopes of eventually supporting a wife/family well on his own.

Character (personality): despite being relatively gentlemanly, since he is an officer, August Burns displays confidence and has a knack for quips, jokes, wryness, and witticisms. On the downside he can be a bit given to the general pleasures of such an event, especially as they contrast from his somewhat recent and difficult service overseas in Spain against Napoleon; he isn't well versed in dance but tries not to let it hold him back. He hopes to use his confidence and wit to charm past, make up for, or otherwise curtail any 'damage.'

Profession (if any): British Army, Captain in the 42nd Highland Regiment of Foot (Black Watch)

Notes: Received honors from the Peninsular campaign, and most notably was cited for heroism at the Battle of Corunna (which we can say is in recent enough memory).

I'm in PST time zone, and am pretty available at this point. I check this site many times per day currently.

Name: Thomas Oliver Addington (Mr. Addington)

Relationship Status: Single

Title/Rank: Gentleman

Profession: Barrister

Fortunes: Though he is the youngest Addington brother and does not stand to inherit land from his father’s estates, Thomas will not need to worry about money. He will gain a small fortune when his father passes and has enough income from working in law to support a wife and children.

Appearance: Thomas was actually quite pleased with the way his portrait came out. The painter was able to capture his strong nose and jawline, without making him look too posed or serious.

Character: As the youngest Addington, Thomas was able to escape the strict expectations placed on his brother. Coddled by his mother, Thomas often escaped criticism as a young boy, resulting in him becoming rather headstrong and irresponsible. Reluctantly, Thomas has agreed to start courting a wife. However, he still enjoys being a rather cheeky young man, dancing with multiple girls and having a fine taste for brandy.

Family Connections: The Addingtons are no stranger to high society. Thomas’ father comes from a long line of Gentry, while his mother is a shipping heiress. Fond of attending any and all balls, the Addingtons often rub elbows with British nobility and other prominent members of society. Thomas’ budding law career has also given him several connections to important people working in policy and government.

Portrait:
5b2e4c576b908963293d4608959290ad--male-portraits-regency-era.jpg

I am in the EST zone and check multiple times a day. I go back to college soon though so I’ll be most active in the afternoon.

Last edited:
jbreezy jbreezy Winter_Wolf Winter_Wolf love the characters. Period portraits are such a good resource for this roleplay!

I have started the ball rolling on the RP thread: Cads & Credibility (open)

There is nothing to stop people from starting now I suppose! Though we may be waiting a while for others to join in. I will supply a steady stream of NPC background character-types, so your characters don't have to be all alone at the ball lol

FMoRFecz0kwkftBE_FChWwb50s18QLPJpAT8-XaIAELUsgFBJ88YLY4uC7aTYr-vP6F41ef2PPnw2X4KenvtYz3H8MoQ69iVwDYR0OyM0UZpmkFMVuY9bb3zScHWRlPQd0eVExHK

Name: Eliza Margaret Fogerty

Title/rank: Gentleman’s Daughter

Fortune: Her family is of some moderate fortune, with great wealth on her mother’s side. Her father, however, comes from lesser standing and made his riches as a Captain in the Royal Navy

Appearance: Eliza is a taller young lady (Around 5’8”) and inherits it and her very triangular nose from her father, as well as her dark brown hair. She was lucky enough to get her mother’s beautiful blue eyes and charming smile.

Character: Eliza is a good natured soul, with no shortage of wit and intelligence. Her brother and sister are many years older than herself, so she has found solace and comfort in books and practicing piano. She is a sensible young lady, if sometimes appearing shy. She does have a tendency to becoming anxious, and seems to lack the abrupt confidence of her sister, Caroline.

Family Connections: Her mother was the daughter of a very well-to-do gentleman and his wife. They were accepted in many higher social circles, and had a son from the gentleman’s first wife to take over the estate. Her mother fell deeply in love with a young, dashing if somewhat simple Navy officer, who loved her equally. Despite it him being of lower standing, both in wealth and breeding, he was sensible with his money and made her mother deeply happy, and so they were wed, though not without some disapprovement from her mother’s extended family. The eldest Miss Fogerty was married to a lawyer in London and is 10 years Eliza’s elder. Her brother Henry, much closer in age, is a fine young gentlemen and he is charming among all the young ladies (with some gossip about him even being amiable with one of the Gossage ladies). The Fogerty’s, though not outstandingly rich, find themselves welcomed in almost any part of the country as lively, polite, and gracious guests.

It’s so much more fitting than a modern face claim. It almost makes me feel like we’ve actually been transported back in time!

Rupert Hamilton Adler
BARONET | 26 | SINGLE

mr_not_darcy.jpg

Appearance:

Tall and lithe, although his less than perfect posture, with his slightly hunched shoulders and stooped back, make him look more awkward than elegant. His skin is slightly tanned -- proof, if anything, of his preference for nature and the outdoors.

His chocolate brown eyes match chestnut-coloured hair. They are large and downturned, and along with his thin lips -- always pressed in a hard line -- finish a look of sombre and melancholy.

Character:
Sir Rupert's reticence is his best-known quality, and unfortunately for him, it does not always (or ever) paint him in a good light. He hates small-talk and formalities, but chooses to indulge in them, however begrudgingly (and obviously so), if only because society dictates that he do so. His way with words is dull at best and offensive at worst, and so he has found, time and time again, that it is always a much better idea to stick with the ones who know him the most, and simply ignore any and all strangers.

Fortune:
Word is that he makes over £12,000 a year.

Family Connections:
A baronet by title, Sir Rupert is the son of Lady Marjorie’s late older brother. His father used to visit Lady Marjorie's estate quite often, though eventually decided to distance himself from the family after the … Gossange affair. With the late Sir Adler passing away last Winter, Rupert finally could not find in himself to refuse Lady Marjorie’s invitation. He has never met the Gossange sisters, at least not since they were babes.

Others:
Rumour has it that he was engaged to a perfectly respectable young lady three years ago. She eventually took off for some penniless painter in London.

PST represent!

Last edited:
It's kind of funny how easy it is to assume that historical people were all serious, given that that's how they're portrayed in various forms of art usually. Despite being accustomed to regular old humor themselves, sometimes they have a very awesome, dry sense of humor. For instance Dante wrote all his real life enemies/whoever did him wrong into the depths of hell in Inferno lol. I'm sure he was legitimately angry then, but it's humorous at least in hindsight for us. And similarly, Paul von Hindenburg named his 1914 victory against Russia the Battle of "Tannenberg" as a reference to the medieval/Renaissance Battle of Tannenberg, even though the site of that battle was miles away. It's just that he wanted to get the last laugh on the Russians/Slavs/people east of Germany because they had defeated Teutonic knights at T-berg centuries before! And I guess he has given that the name stuck since 1914.

(Tangent, but I love history lol)

Could my character have some sort of aide/non-commissioned officer attending with him? I feel like giving this potential aide a bit of a Sancho Panza* aspect for some comedic effect lol. Also it's one more (minor) guest at the ball.

*AKA: from Don Quixote, basically a dumb yet funny sidekick

Name: Isabella Nightingale

Title/rank (if any): Gentlemen’s Daughter

Fortune: Quite well off. Her (now deceased) mother came from a rather respectable family, though not rich by any stretch of the imagination. Her father is a tradesman who is eager to marry her off.

Appearance: Just as lovely in her pictures as in the flesh, young Isabella is bright eyed and rather baby faced. She is quite petite and appears well fed.

Character (personality): Growing up an only child, Isabella is quite used to getting what she wants. She is also used to living in her head, inventing grandiose stories to pass the time. In fact she’s grown to be quite the storyteller, and will not hesitate to tell a bit of a fib. Isabella dreams constantly of romance, and seems to gain feelings for people just as quick as she loses them. Despite being very interested in people, she seems perpetually disappointed with them. Has to be reminded of her manners at times.

Profession (if any): Haha!

Family Connections: There doesn’t appear to be any. Her family are quite mysterious. Her father was always somewhat asocial, doing his work well and just about nothing else. Isabella’s mother came from someplace else, and so her family has never been one for mingling. Isabella seeks to change that.

Portrait:

1819-Lady-Selina-Meade.jpeg

(thoughts? also im on the east coast, it's 10:10 pm as i write this. im in college and ill be active the most on the weekends and monday all day long, and on friday thursdays and tuesdays ill be pretty available at random times of the day. wednesdays ill probably only be able to get a post or two out depending on several factors.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back