Been counted out, left for dead
Wanted with a bounty on my head
But somehow, someway, I'ma keep movin' along, along
Thinkin' that they've won
It's only just begun
When I go (When I go)
Into that ground (Into that ground)
I won't go quietly (Won't go quietly)
I'm bringin' my crown (Bringin' my crown)
And when I go into the ground (into that ground)
Oh, they gotta bury me (bury me)
Bury me face down (bury me face down)
Oh, they gotta bury me
Bury me face down

The throne room was empty. Not even a mouse made a sound. The chair I sat on was practically frozen, much like the room around me.

There was a time when the white walls were adorned with red and gold decorations - tapestries, statues, paintings. Just about everything to enhance the capital's throne room. Where man and woman would come to receive blessings from their ruler. Where scholars came and nobles brought their politics. I had seem so many faces within these walls, but not anymore. As our foes pushed their puppets closer, more and more took flight. I wasn't scared.

As a bastard child, I had spent my life fighting. For bread, for care, for love and affection. No one could have seen it, but I even ended up stealing the crown. Everyone had pledged their loyalty to me, and me alone. A lot of good that did me. I let out a sigh, as the approaching armies broke the heavy silence. Did they think they were going to win? I had torn the crown out of another's filthy grasp with only my strength and determination. That was before the gods bestowed their own powers onto me.

They were excited - their yelling and anticipation pounding through the walls. I finally stood, grabbing my choice of weapon. A sword, forged by the greatest blacksmith in the lands. If I were anyone else, I would have ran too. If not for my position and godly powers, I would've felt the fear in my chest. This wasn't my first war, however. They should have kept that in mind. The crown sat atop my hair, shining from a recent polish. Gently, I grabbed it and held it at my side. I was going to defend my throne and my crown. They were going to have to tear my decaying body off of that throne in the end - and pry each of my fingers off of the crown I had fought so desperately for.

The doors to the throne room pounded, as enemy warriors tried to force it open. I know much of the kingdom already counted me as a lost cause - dead no matter which way the war went. I was the biggest target and also the biggest defense of this kingdom. I continued to stand my ground, focusing on the doors as they slowly started to give way. It wasn't long before everyone started to pour in - circling me. They all looked the slightest bit surprised - with no guards, I had absolutely no chance against an army.

Or so they thought. One of their generals stepped forth, drawing his weapon. "It is a pity, although I believe you already know your kingdom is gone. It's time for you to lie down and die!" He announced, before beginning his own charge.

Time almost seemed to slow, as I raised my hand. Maybe it was just my own perception. As I had practiced, I began gathering energy in my palm. The general seemed to consider me an idiot, not even taking a moment to consider why a dead man would be so calm. A heretic who was refusing to resign to fate. Tales of my magic had spread across a few lands - it was the paint used for my target.

The crown hung off my wrist, swaying slightly as the gathering magic affected the air around it. Just before the general's sword touched me, I released the magic. With that, I toppled the entire army gathered before me.

"Well, if you honestly consider that a possible outcome here," I announced to the room, narrowing my eyes as I slammed my sword into the stunned generals chest,"Then you're going to have to keep me buried face down."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back