• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Brightside City - OOC

So here's the scooper-doop:

I really want to be able to manipulate each others' characters in this story. One thing I dislike about RPing is the awkward timing of the scenes and summary. I'm a writer and a big fan of literature, so it's sometimes hard for me to enjoy a stop-and-start RP where each person can only writer for their own character. I can handle and work with it most of the time, but for this particular story, I want to know if you all are willing to try something new and act together, weaving the story using our complete cast, not just your own character.

Of course, as respectful people, we would be sure to make the dialogue and actions true to each other's characters, going off of the CS's and off past events in the story. We can also talk here or through PM's to make sure we're using each other's characters well.

That said, you WILL NOT be an edge lord, Mary-Sue, or in any other way manipulate other characters to make yours look cool, impressive, mysterious, whatever. This is about story telling, not your weird RP ego.

So, if you're willing to try this and willing to let others play with your toy, so to speak, specify so. If not, specify that, too. Give me feedback and then we'll decide how to go about telling this story.

Now, how I think we should get started on Monday is this: Each character gets an introductory sort of prologue (your first post). Just starting to set the scene, telling us where your character is in the city and what they're doing, how they're feeling at the moment, etc. From there, the characters will begin crossing paths and we see where the story takes us from there. Gucci?

@Galaxy's Silver Lining @Andraus @Squad141 @The Swedish Chef @SecretRock @Nunali @happydeath @FrostXShadow

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pandaskel

I'm pretty intrigued by this! I'd be willing to share Claudia I guess  ¬¬

Lol jk :smile5:  I'm cool with it! If anything I'm giving something new a try  :smile2:

@Pandaskel

I believe i can arrange that. It was my plan to show Conner's escape from Prison, and Pimms....activities, so I am green to go.

So here's the scooper-doop:

I really want to be able to manipulate each others' characters in this story. One thing I dislike about RPing is the awkward timing of the scenes and summary. I'm a writer and a big fan of literature, so it's sometimes hard for me to enjoy a stop-and-start RP where each person can only writer for their own character. I can handle and work with it most of the time, but for this particular story, I want to know if you all are willing to try something new and act together, weaving the story using our complete cast, not just your own character.

Of course, as respectful people, we would be sure to make the dialogue and actions true to each other's characters, going off of the CS's and off past events in the story. We can also talk here or through PM's to make sure we're using each other's characters well.

That said, you WILL NOT be an edge lord, Mary-Sue, or in any other way manipulate other characters to make yours look cool, impressive, mysterious, whatever. This is about story telling, not your weird RP ego.

So, if you're willing to try this and willing to let others play with your toy, so to speak, specify so. If not, specify that, too. Give me feedback and then we'll decide how to go about telling this story.

Now, how I think we should get started on Monday is this: Each character gets an introductory sort of prologue (your first post). Just starting to set the scene, telling us where your character is in the city and what they're doing, how they're feeling at the moment, etc. From there, the characters will begin crossing paths and we see where the story takes us from there. Gucci?

@Galaxy's Silver Lining @Andraus @Squad141 @The Swedish Chef @SecretRock @Nunali @happydeath @FrostXShadow

Okay! Could you pleas elaborate more on "manipulation"?

Okay! Could you pleas elaborate more on "manipulation"?

Basically, I could have your character say stuff or do stuff. For example:

Joe sighed. "Jake, you can't go around touching people's butts."

Jake only touched his butt. "I thought this was customary on your planet? During the 'sports'?"

Joe pinched the bridge of his nose, feeling a headache coming on. "Jake, that's ONLY during the spor- I mean sports, it's just sports, just..." He sighed once more. "Just wait here while I buy some juice."

In this scene, I had two characters talking and moving, not just one. In most RP's, you can only use one. See how much smoother it is when you can have characters interact normally?

Basically, I could have your character say stuff or do stuff. For example:

Joe sighed. "Jake, you can't go around touching people's butts."

Jake only touched his butt. "I thought this was customary on your planet? During the 'sports'?"

Joe pinched the bridge of his nose, feeling a headache coming on. "Jake, that's ONLY during the spor- I mean sports, it's just sports, just..." He sighed once more. "Just wait here while I buy some juice."

In this scene, I had two characters talking and moving, not just one. In most RP's, you can only use one. See how much smoother it is when you can have characters interact normally?

Wouldn't a problem with this be that you might make the characters react wrong? Like I know there's a personality aspect on the form, but those change a lot between form and actual playing sometimes. And you might initiate something that the other player doesn't want to do.

That's why I asked instead of making it official.

I did address those issues, if you didn't read my post all the way through. That's what discussing here and through PM is for, to make sure we get the characters right.

It's a matter of trust and pride. If we do it, that's cool, and if we don't, that's cool. I understand either way and will still make this a badass story. 's up to you all.

I know what it's like to have your character misused by someone else, but I also know how amazing it is when the writers you're working with participate well. This could go one way or another. But if it leads to conflict, aren't we capable of working it out rather than let it ruin a good thing? Don't conflicts make things stronger?

I know what it's like to have your character misused by someone else, but I also know how amazing it is when the writers you're working with participate well. This could go one way or another. But if it leads to conflict, aren't we capable of working it out rather than let it ruin a good thing? Don't conflicts make things stronger?

I will allow it. Something is always fun!

I guess I could try it. 

We'll try it, and if things go bad, we drop it immediately.

If somebody uses your character badly, please reach out to them (nicely) and try to sort things out. And if you're not sure if you're using a character right, check with the creator before posting.

Perhaps we can have a sort of compromise? Perhaps instilling emotions in a character that the writer would then interpret as the character? idk that seems to be just as bad as controlling a character. Honestly, as long as people keep up with posting we should have a fluid story going and that also depends on everyone's posting style. So long as people give enough detail I don't see how this wouldn't be like a story. Just need to get effort from everyone to make it like they're writing a piece of a story rather than a post that focus on character interactions. Give your character a beginning story and eventually meet with everyone else's characters.

I mean I don't have a problem with my character being used it's just I have an issue with the possibility of people using her incorrectly. I don't usually put everything into the backstories of my characters, I don't like having paragraphs and paragraphs of detail about a certain event...just too much shit to read xD So the specifics are for me to use to immerse as my character and govern her decisions.

Obviously. "Scene and summary". That's the way literature goes. Anyone who doesn't write that way has no business writing, period. 

Nobody's going to be making your character give her life story. No need for people to know her story. If you don't want to try, specify that and the rest of us won't control her. We'll go on an individual basis. 

So, new guideline:

Please specify in the Other section of your character sheet whether or not you're ok with someone using your character. If you have a specific request (e.g. "Please PM me your post if it involves my character before posting it." "Please ask my permission before using my character." etc.), mention that too.

Obviously. "Scene and summary". That's the way literature goes. Anyone who doesn't write that way has no business writing, period. 

Nobody's going to be making your character give her life story. No need for people to know her story. If you don't want to try, specify that and the rest of us won't control her. We'll go on an individual basis. 

So, new guideline:

Please specify in the Other section of your character sheet whether or not you're ok with someone using your character. If you have a specific request (e.g. "Please PM me your post if it involves my character before posting it." "Please ask my permission before using my character." etc.), mention that too.

Do we have to wait till Monday?

I'm linking the Interest Check because I think it conveys what I'm thinking. In short, the characters live in Brightside City doing anything you've seen in a superhero comic book. You can be a civilian, hero, vigilante, anti-hero, or villain. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Questions that will probably be asked:

1. How long should posts be?

I'd like this to be a well crafted and developed story, so more than the bare minimum. In other words, just make an effort.

2. Are realistic faceclaims required?

I prefer realistic, but you do you.

3. What powers are allowed?

Anything below supernatural. So sorry, no demons, gods, angels, demigods, or magic.

Might I be allowed to join so late?

@Pandaskel Would you mind if I changed the character sheet for Michael a bit? I'm just going to go into more detail on his power and what he can actually do with it and include a list of all his weapons and equipment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back