• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Breath of Fire: Giantslayer

Bone2pick

Minority of One

Valivek the Stargazer

T
hey were mankinds's protectors. Not gods, the giantkin rejected the idea of their divinity, but they were undeniably the guardians of men. Snowed in cottages were dug free by gargantuan hands, children were scooped out of flash flood waters and carried to safety, and marching armies—intent on settling old grievances—were talked into peaceful compromises by beings who could reach out and touch the heavens. The giantkin promoted compassion, reason, and courage. Humanity listened, and civilization flourished in their great shadows.

One cold winter, a wicked spell infected the giants. It turned their skin grey, stilled their hearts, and made them hunger the flesh and bones of men. Not a single one was spared; they all fell to madness. Humanity, despite their best efforts, couldn't heal their former guardians. Worse still, they were incapable of defending themselves against such enormous enemies. Faced with certain extinction they were forced to do the unimaginable—they fled the surface.

image.jpg1_zpshmphpcbs.jpg

Man now dwells in the underworld.

Families, clans, even entire villages trekked into the caverns and tunnels below the mountains. Only there, beyond the reach of rain or sunlight, were they safe.

They settled in the darkness, but it would never be home. While exploring their new surroundings humanity uncovered a forgotten power: the dragons. The mythical creatures were long extinct, but their tombs could cry out to their noble ghosts. And the spirits of those ancient wyrms—by using a mortal host—could manifest back into the world of the living. A world that needed them now more than ever.

Mankind now has a weapon; a war for the surface will soon come. Who will lead humanity back into the sunlight? Who will the ghosts of the dragons choose as their champions?

Breath of Fire: Giantslayer

Player Role

Players will take the roles of extrodinary humans who have been selected by the spirits of long dead dragons to serve as their champions. The ghosts of those great creatures will grant their champions power: they will mend broken bones in under a week, they will have Herculean stamina, and best of all—they can transform their bodies into their patron dragon. The change will revert by the next sunrise or sunset, whichever comes first, but until then they have all the might of a venerable Wyrm.

So create your champion and dream up his dragon form. I will call on you when you're ready.

Click Here —>
Breath of Fire: Giantslayer | RpNation.com - Best Roleplay Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this intentionally riffing on the old Breath of Fire games, or is it a staggeringly hilarious coincidence?

Good idea, mind you. I'd be interested if I had time to join.

Hilarious coincidence. I came up with the name this morning in an effort to keep me from naming this Dragons VS Giants. I wasn't in the mood to veil what the RP contained, but that would have been a bit too on the nose.

Even for me. (^.^)

Bone2pick said:
Hilarious coincidence. I came up with the name this morning in an effort to keep me from naming this Dragons VS Giants. I wasn't in the mood to veil what the RP contained, but that would have been a bit too on the nose.
Even for me. (^.^)
I thought as much. You tend to draw on and use source material well (not necessarily consciously), so it was reasonable you were arriving at the same point from another angle.

I'll be watching! Quite enthused to see how the setting fills out and how the magic works.

I'm pleased that this is getting a healthy amount of early interest. I'll continue to develop the setting and plot. If we could drum up a few more players that would be terrific.

Man now dwells beneath the world's surface.

Groundwater, major cavern city.

So let me get this right...

Colossal giants are fighting humans who have dragons on their side ?

Do we get to roleplay as both the giants and the champions/humans/dragons ?

I'm in.

[QUOTE="Dark Severus]Do we get to roleplay as both the giants and the champions/humans/dragons ?

[/QUOTE]
The giants will serve as our primary antagonists (though there will be others). Players will create a human champion (working title) as well as the legendary dragon that the champ will host.

Bone2pick said:
The giants will serve as our primary antagonists (though there wil be others). Players will create a human champion (working title) as well as the legendary dragon that the champ will host.
Yup. Totally in.

Bone2pick said:
The giants will serve as our primary antagonists (though there will be others). Players will create a human champion (working title) as well as the legendary dragon that the champ will host.
I understand that, but do we get to actually have a giant profile ?

The giants have lost their sanity and suffer an insatiable hunger for human flesh. You won't be creating a profile for them.

Update: I predict I'm going to need a solid week in order to get this roleplay ready for launch. Fantasy worlds of this scale require a significant amount of lore in order to get everyone on the same page. One of the cool features of this setting is that you'll have a lot of creative options for your champion's culture. When humanity was forced underground, they tended to cluster into relatively isolated pockets (undertowns). And they've developed like that for over four hundred years.

As you can imagine that has resulted in significant cultural and genetic diversity. So feel free to help world build with me; it should be fun. ( :) )

I am interested, but would like to know where exactly this RP would fall on the scale of post length. I know that it was envisioned to spilt the gap between casual and detailed, but is there a rough number of sentences expected?

I expect each post to set the scene, have a bit of character progression, and provide enough material for other players to work with. Two solid paragraphs as a general guideline for minimum post length.

This should be played as a fun fantasy romp, so casual posters will be able to keep up. But detailed writers like myself might post lengthier scenes in order to really flex our imagination muscles.

I'm totally interested in this! I've been craving a fantasy action adventure role play lately :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back