• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Break the Chains (Fantasy/Sci-Fi Hosted Project To-Be)

Exanis

He Who Sees E's
s65f20.png

Break the Chains
Sci-Fi
"Driven by emotion, they must be feared"
Fantasy
The Story
"Let's cut the the chase, we messed up.
Nearly a thousand years ago we finally met extraterrestrial life, and soon after, created our first multi-race alliance. Around that time we began to develop rules of engagement, hoping that we could peacefully gather more allies across the systems. But that's just not how humans are. By the second or third time we met a new race, we were already growing numb to the excitement. We humans, were simply a ticking time bomb.

Those that were not our allies, we treated like animals. We took from their numbers, and conducted experiments that could be considered inhumane. Sure, we tried to deny it, blame it on freelance pirates or something. But in truth, we wanted to learn. We needed an edge if things went south, and for that, we took a gamble. Eventually, we humans turned the races against one another. It was the only way really, we lacked the firepower to combat them ourselves. It's their fault for trusting something as light as words. Because you see, we humans are sinful creatures, and a lie is the least of our concern. I do not believe what came next was a product of rage, but rather necessity.

In the end, the other races discovered the truth. Those we once called allies, chose to reset that which is 'humanity'. We didn't stand a chance. Within one year, the other races crushed us. And for the next seven hundred, they caged us. Needless to say, our technology has been long since lost. Now we live in an age comparable to the Medieval Ages, and it is us that are treated like animals. Little more than wolves on a chain.
"

We are humans, and after a thousand years we are still paying the price for betraying our allies. We are treated like wild animals, creatures that are both to be feared and caged. From there, it's probably understandable that they keep us from advantages like technology. But that's the thing that the Extra's don't quite seem to understand. We humans always reach out for power, though our motives are always different. When a higher race rubs the unknown into our face, we get kind of curious on what's out there. And when we get curious for too long? That's when we get restless, and desperate.

For the longest time we have been surviving in an age similar to the Medieval era. But now, things are starting to make a turn. You see, within the past forty years humans have began to find what's known as relics. Rather, remnants from the old world. With their power, and our evolved sense of survival, a human can actually stand on par with the Extra's soldiers. But this also means that the Extras are making a bit of movement as well. They are starting to develop search parties, finally leaving their blasted outposts. They want to collect the relics so they can be destroyed, but we just can't have that, can we?

It's finally time for us humans to break these chains that have been placed upon us. By using the relics, we might actually be capable of establishing ourselves as a race amongst the others. Whether it be by balancing the power, or controlling it. We humans a fickle creatures after all. When these chains are undone, will we be welcomed, or feared?

The Relics
"Only fools rely on a power that lies beyond themselves. And I may just be the biggest fool alive."

What are relics?
Relics are basically anything that remain from the old civilization, most of which are practically useless. That is to say, most of the relics that are found are either cosmetics or simply broken. However, it is the rarity of finding a functional relic that keeps people hunting. And as such, when one speaks of relics they normally refer to the old tech.

So what can relics do?
Anything, really. We are talking about weaponry, augments, and any other tech one could possibly imagine. Mechs that are deployed from a device the size of a penny, an augment that gives one's left arm the strength of ten men, or even a rifle that never runs out of ammunition. But here's the catch, the old tech requires a blood pact to activate. That is to say, this is tech that was developed to survive the purge. It is inactive until it registers a human's blood within it's systems. Though, this also means that the device will only respond to whichever individual makes the pact.

Where can relics be found?
That's the hard part, no one really knows. You probably stand the best chance looking around what ruins do remain, but even then, if you wind up underground you might not come back. It seems that the stronger creatures are naturally pulled towards the relics, which makes hunting for them even more dangerous.

Is there a relic limit?
There will be a limit, but it's not us that will decide what that limit is. Because you see, the more tech-related relics you have, the faster you will die. Passively, the relics will radiate the area when activated. More specifically, it is a radiation that will target the blood of the user directly. This is not a fault in design, but rather a fail safe. The humans facing the purge wanted to ensure that such mistakes would not occur once more. As such, a penalty is placed upon those that seek higher power.

The Home World
"It might not look like it, but try to remember that this is our world. Those Extra's won't be taking it away."

This world has changed greatly, seeing as the old civilization was basically ripped from it. The humans lost the ability to freely terraform, which leads us back to extinguishable resources. However, that might not be such a bad thing seeing as it's not being collected at an alarming rate anymore. Well, that, and the fact that only a twentieth of the former population actually survived to this day. But perhaps the biggest changes came from the fact that this planet is still irradiated by the alien tech that was used.

So how exactly has the world changed?
Well, for starters all of the buildings and technology are gone. You might be rolling your eyes, but imagine if something as simple as the cell phone simply disappeared. Humans no longer rely on technology for their needs. But this also means that it is more difficult to survive. Let's ignore that, and go to the real reason you might ask this question.

The world may as well be barren. Wildlife does run think, and this does include vegetation. But the problem relies within the fact that the vegetation is practically inedible. This resulted in the humans becoming more like carnivores. To eat a plant? It's a death trap, really. You see, radiation from the alien tech is still, even now in the air of our home world. Because of that, the flora of our planet has greatly changed. Flowers that bloom to thirty feet tall, mushrooms that glow, and even plants that try to eat your flesh. It's probably safest to live in the deserts, because at least there you can see what wants to kill you.

Now what about the climate?
The climate has become even harsher than the world itself, also thanks to the radiation our little friends brought. One good example are the plasma storms. If your the type to be afraid of lightning storms, then this would probably make you keel over. You see, lightning simply strikes, it's there, then it's gone. But plasma storms, they just kind of drift along until the storm finally ends. Like large orbs of light they float through the sky crackling, continuously frying anything that get's close. But that's not the worst part. Sometimes these balls of plasma drift close enough to the surface to tear through the land. And just about anything caught within it is atomized.

In short, keep on your toes.

What kind of creatures are we dealing with here?
The Extra's don't really waste an opportunity. And the fact that own home world has evolved to a unique climate due to their radiation means it can house life from other worlds just as easily. And so, from the far outer reaches of the system, our world has horrors we could never really dream of. Not all of them are so bad, I mean, every world has their type of rabbits. But it is the bigger creatures that one has to be weary of. As it is now, it wouldn't even be strange to hear that dragons live here.

What about the outposts?
This is the one good thing that came from the spacial radiation. The aliens are forced to watch us from planet side, due to the fact that it's too thick to watch us from orbit. As such, they have outposts scattered about. Of course their technology far surpasses our own, and a majority of outposts won't even let a human with the vicinity. However, there are the rare few that accept trade. It seems like some of the alien races took a liking to the new cuisine created by the humans using the creatures brought to us. That, and everyone wants some kind of gift to send back home.

What about the humans?
It's a world where survival is your top priority. And sadly, that means that on occasion you might have to betray your own. A majority of the humans travel in clans in a nomadic like state. This is because it's safer in a group rather than trying to live in the world alone. Others make home near the alien outposts, where creatures seem to run a little thinner. But you have to be careful, this world is full of people that result to banditry when needed. In the end, we really are wolves, aren't we?

More details will be added as more interest is garnered. Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind and I'll try my best to answer them.

I am also aware that, as of now, Hosted Project creation is unavailable. That does not change the fact that the end format of this RP will hopefully be one of a Hosted Project when the time comes that conversion is available. I simply wanted to make that clear early on.

Last edited:
I'm interested! What would be the main goal of this rp? Like are we going to be playing as humans trying to regain control of the world or something? Will there be fighting or anything?

raven flame raven flame GamerCarrot GamerCarrot Phayne Phayne A Lost Soul A Lost Soul KAmber KAmber Zaxs Zaxs zenguardian zenguardian
First of all, a huge thank you to everyone who's shown interest to this! I'll be sure to toss some things out soon enough for your leisurely viewing! If you could watch this thread just in case I ever forget to tag you, that would be great~

Anyway, in concern to zenguardian zenguardian 's question:

The most basic goal for BtC is, simply, to escape. Fact is, humanity has been in this state for a while, and while some people have accepted that this is how their lives are, that doesn't mean they are content with being treated like caged animals. Now if one of the PC's is so inclined to try and change the way their lives are through a violent revolution, feel free to do so. Just the same if you just want to be all diplomatic about it, go ahead. Want to use the power of music, the power of dance, art, science, whatever, do your thing and do it.

And if you don't want to try and change how the way things are? That's your decision and you'll be able to play it out just the same as anyone else!

That isn't to say there won't be clear cut chances given to you for a major plot change here or there, because there probably will. You just won't have to respond to them any one designated way. The world is your oyster, so your real goal in this is to enjoy!

I hope that helps~

Are we like slaves and kept in cages that's what I get from it at least sorry if I took it to out of proportion >_<
The "cage" in which the humans are trapped in is the planet itself. All those aliens just keep an eye on them from the outside, and due to the way human technology was destroyed the climate itself has also been ruined to such a degree that it can only be considered scarred which only adds to the planet being their jail.

Not to mention there may or may not be a few creepy crawlies hidden here or there that didn't exist before this all happened.

Idk if this is still accepting, but I'm definitely interested. : )

Also, do you reckon I could play a relic of the human's ancient past? To be more specific, could i play a really old AI robot that was overlooked by the aliens to be unearthed by the humans? Like perhaps they find me in some ancient ruin and reactivate me?

Exanis Exanis

Also, do you reckon I could play a relic of the human's ancient past? To be more specific, could i play a really old AI robot that was overlooked by the aliens to be unearthed by the humans? Like perhaps they find me in some ancient ruin and reactivate me?

Exanis Exanis
That is actually kind of tempting... Hmm.. Relics were in the plan anyways..
Though that would also mean your character would be used as a key element in a number of things... Exploration of scenario is needed for a proper response.

That is actually kind of tempting... Hmm.. Relics were in the plan anyways..
Though that would also mean your character would be used as a key element in a number of things... Exploration of scenario is needed for a proper response.

Yeah, I'm totally cool with whatever you guys have in mind. I'll basically be a multipurpose serval automaton with faulty AI. So I'll be doing largely whatever you humans say! : D

Omg can I do the same? I have a really cool idea :D

No, don't copy my idea! >:3

I mean, you can if you really want but like... Ehhhhhhhhh...

Also such a miraculous event would be extremely rare and highly unlikely to happen twice. Unless we were buried together of course, and thus are linked in some way.

What about something like a caged winged wolf shape shifter like person that was frozen in a block of ice or something?

Yeah that's sounds like a cool human character to play. xD
Wait, can we play aliens? : P

No I'm basing mine off of yours X3 And my idea is seperate from yours, adapted by the aliens

"Basing mine off yours" = the same idea, but okay sure.

And adapted by the aliens how? They have their own robots I would presume, why bother modifying some human robot? And how exactly would said robot even be changed, they all had the same technology at the time. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back