• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Born of Stardust

a z u l a

these violent delights have violent ends.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Olympus.png

Olympus was a rather tumultuous place, when they weren't warring amongst themselves they were meddling with human affairs. Amidst the constant chaos, it was easy to make enemies and impossible to make strong allies, even her own brother had betrayed her for his own selfish gain. However, the night goddess had found an unlikely companion in the form of Dionysius, the god of wine and art.

The two deities had found themselves on the wrong side of Hera, though it seemed most others had. Unlike the others, they refused to beg at her feet for forgiveness and accepted her unfavorable opinion. Artemis had respected his bravery, Hera was known for the awful revenge she took upon those who offended her, and despite their polar personalities, she found him rathe enjoyable to be around.

"Good morning, Dionysius." The raven-haired huntress greeted, approaching the steps of Olympus as she returned from her nightly hunt. Zeus had called upon them to discuss an urgent matter, which seemed to happen every other week, whether he had accidentally started a war or fathered another child, there always seemed to be one disaster after another. "What do you suspect your father's done this time?" She teases, ascending the daunting walkway that leads to the throne room.

Once inside, it seems that most everyone has already taken their place around the great table. Naturally, Apollo waltzes in last, taking his seat beside his twin and throwing her an irritating smirk. As much as she loved her brother, he caused more trouble than he was worth, always trying to corrupt her maidens with his ethereal looks.

"I am sure you all wonder why I've summoned you here today. It appears our nations have declared war and called upon the Gods for assistance. Achilles, son of Thetis, is in command of the Grecian army, and we cannot neglect our allies." Zeus's proclamation shocked the Amazonian deity, though she knew all too well of the betrayal of Helen to her husband Menelaus. It was business as usual for the Olympians to get involved, but it seemed strong opinions had already been made.

"We owe no loyalty to Achilles or the Greeks, the Trojans have worshipped us loyally and deserve our aide more." Hera exclaimed, striking her fist against her throne to accentuate her point. While it wasn't unusual for Hera to disagree with her husband, Artemis knew why Hera and Athena sided so vehemently with the Greeks. Paris had chosen Aphrodite over them as the fairest Goddess during a competition at the goddess Thetis's wedding years prior, and the two still harbored a grudge over their wounded pride.

"You only speak out of bitterness!" Aphrodite proclaimed, earning a withering glare from the mother goddess. The throne room erupted into a shouting match, each deity fiercely defending their favored side. Personally, Artemis had no opinion in the matter, but Apollo was fervently arguing in favor of the Trojans, likely because he was their patron God, and the moon goddess knew she could never stay neutral if her brother was involved.

"Silence!" Zeus's voice boomed throughout the Pantheon, a sudden hush befalling the deities. "We will never agree on this matter. Take it upon yourself to decide, but whatever fate befalls the mortals is off your own decisions, and you must take responsibility for it."

pygmyxprincess pygmyxprincess

Artemis.png

Attachments

• Artemis.png
    Artemis.png
    283.9 KB · Views: 2
Dionysus sat on a throne draped in the skin of a leopard, basking in the glory of the Bacchanalia around him. His maenads and satyrs dancing around him, nude and drunk on wine. Music filled the air along with the laughter of the revellers. In the corner, a small group of women mad with ecstacy ravaged a man who seemed to have enough. Smug on his throne, Dionysus wondered what could be wrong with him. Did he not like the gift the God had presented him with? Of course he did. Who in their right mind wouldn’t? The God laughed to himself. None of his followers were in their right mind this night. He had blessed them with his presence, unbeknownst to them.

One who did know, however, was Hermes. The messenger entered through the back of the gardens where the ritual was held and quickly sought out his half-brother. It was easy enough to spot him in the crowd. Gods would always stand out to others.

“We’ve been summoned.”

“Hm? Again? Surely not.” Dionysus had also partaken in the wine, enough so that even he was laughably drunk.

“Zeus requests us. Did you not notice?”

Dionysus let out another hearty laugh and spread out an arm at the party around them. “Amongst all this? Of course not.”

He was young compared to the rest of the Olympians and it made him cocky.

“It seems to be an urgent matter, Dionysus.”

The god, exasperated as he was, stood up from his seat. “Alright then. Dawn is coming and Helios will crash my party anyway.” The revellers would disperse once light came upon them. Such a shame, he always thought.

With a wave of his hand, his thyrsus appeared in hand and cloak covered his naked form. And just like that, the two were back in Olympus. Hermes took off quickly to the throne room but Dionysus lingered in the hallway a moment longer, fixing himself to be presentable. He was glad he did, as Artemis graced the hallway with her arrival.

Drunk on wine, he eyed her over fresh from a hunt. If he could drive himself mad he would just by laying eyes on her. She was an unlikely companion in the beginning but he found both comfort and pleasure in the huntress.

He quirked a cocky grin and rolled his eyes. “Hopefully he’s fathered another poor bastard and Hera might think of leaving me in peace.”

The queen Goddess never forgave Zeus truly and her jealousy drove her mad. Dionysus was the child of one of Zeus’s mishaps and because of it he was destined to be on Hera’s bad side for all of eternity. He was still angry with her after she murdered his foster family who raised him until he became aware of his godhood. He took up pace with Artemis as the approached the throne room but hesitated behind her before entering, hesitant that Hera might see a companionship she disapproved of.

Sat around the table, war was discussed. The humans had gotten themselves into a mess again and it was their job to clean it up again it seemed. War was never Dionysus’s favorite thing. There were no parties in war. The gods around him erupted in argument as to who should be backed, the Trojans or Grecians. Personally Dionysus was for the Grecians. They threw better rituals for him, with better wines and better looking women. It was not often that he sided with Hera on things.

Zeus had the final say, in the end, telling them all that who they backed was up to them, but that they should be prepared to deal with the repercussions. He noticed that Artemis had been quiet unlike her twin. He hoped that they would be on the same side for this war. The gods divided as they were bound to be now never had pretty outcomes. All of them were petty in their own ways.

After the meeting was dismissed, Dionysus waltzed out of the Pantheon, heading for his home. Even a god got tired after a night of revelry.

Not wanting to draw attention to herself, Artemis slipped out of the throne room to follow after her lover as the others threw insults at one another or simply stormed out. Not only did they have to hide their friendliness from Hera, but Apollo had already murdered one of his sister's lovers to "protect her". It seemed jealousy was a common trait amongst the Gods, and there was no such thing as a happy relationship. Zeus slept with anything he possibly could, it was a miracle Hera hadn't murdered him yet. Aphrodite had tried to kill Hephaestus to avoid their marriage, it was a well known fact she and Ares spent more nights together than she did with her own husband.

"Dionysius!" The huntress called once she was far enough away from the Pantheon to not risk revealing them to the others. War was exciting to the goddess, it was another reason for her to wield her weapons and strike fear into the humans. However, she knew that Dionysius did not care for war, he would rather celebrate the end of it.

"What are we to do?" Their relationship was already complicated enough, the secrecy made her more and more anxious by the day, it was only a matter of time before the rest of the Olympians found out. Apollo could read his twin sister like a book, it was a miracle he hadn't found them out already. The huntress hadn't been looking for any sort of relationship since the murder of Orion, but she had been comfortable around the wine god, he was much more down to Earth than the rest of their companions, it had only come naturally.

"I know it will enrage Hera, but I must defend my brother in his decision." The twins were already on Hera's bad side, it would only bring more heat upon them when they declared themselves enemies during the war. Artemis could only hope that someone else would piss her off more, it was bound to be an equally split fight.

The god had barely begun his descent into his valley home when he heard his name called by a voice he thought sweeter than honey. Artemis was scurrying toward him, glancing over her shoulder to make sure to be in the clear. Secret lovers meant being away from prying eyes, if that were ever possible. He was sure there must be another on Olympus who was aware of the things they were up to when she visited chambers, yet who it could be was unknown. It was just a sneaking suspicion.

He waited for her where he was and when she reached him, Dionysus reached out and smoothed her dark locks against her head cupping her cheek momentarily before grazing his finger tips across the smooth skin of her face. It was a tender action one he would have rather be more passionate. But prying eyes could be anywhere. He knew what Apollo had done to Orion and though it seemed he loved Artemis he did not want the same fate, or worse.

“We shall drink wine, and be merry of course,” he said with a grin.

He knew it was not a suitable option but he had to make it regardless. Dionysus was not made for war but he would go to battle when needed. He was simply hoping that a battle started over this mortal woman would be over quickly.

Dionysus drew his hand away from Artemis as she brought up siding with Apollo. It shouldn’t have been a surprise, really, but he had hoped that perhaps, given the nature of their recent relations, she might have sided with him.

Unable to help it, he scoffed. “Defend the Trojans? But they hardly matter. Wouldn’t it be better to stay off Hera’s radar just this once? To side with her and perhaps ease her anger?”

The raven-haired goddess leaned into his tender touch, gone all too soon as he pulled away incase of prying eyes. His presence was just about the only thing that soothed her anymore, he was her closest confident and she knew that he would never betray her. The constant warring and grudge holding was getting old, Artemis lived for the moments she was with Dionysius, laid out together beside the flowing rivers of her sacred grove or entwined by the fireside in his chambers. Ironically enough, the patron of wild partying and drunken escapades calmed her every present temper in a way no one else had.

"Dionysius, you of all people know how important family is. I won't let Hera tear my family apart as she did yours." The murder of his foster family had crushed the god, though they had not been close at the time Artemis had felt the waves of sorrow crashing off of him like waves. Hera was a cruel woman, no one deserved the exceptionally inhumane punishments she administered, especially not Dionysius. None of Zeus's children had done anything to provoke Hera except being born, and the twins had been lucky enough to protect their mother from the jealous queen's wrath. Sadly, Dionysius, had been too late to save his own family.

"Damn that bitter wretch. I'll never win her favor, so why try?" The huntress protested, taking his hand in hers and squeezing it gently. "As long as we have each other, we don't need anyone else's approval." She proclaimed.

The god's heart ached as Artemis brought up his foster family. Cruel, cruel Hera. Of course he understood the importance of family. But wasn't what they had important too? The blonde looked down at this large hand in her fair one. There was truth in her words and he knew it. Even siding with Hera wouldn't win her favor, at least not permanently. He was hopeful that it would ease for at least the duration of the war. Or was that the wine?

Dionysus brazenly brought her hand to his lips, letting them linger for but a moment.

"If we didn't need approval then we wouldn't hide our affairs, unlike the others."

He let her hand drop away from him and his gaze left her.

"I will not go against her on this, Artemis. Besides the Trojans are pitiful. All of their energy goes to your brother, they don't care about the rest of us."

Even he could be petty. If they weren't going to celebrate him in all his might, why should he defend them?

"Join me in this, I beg of you."

As much as she would deny it, his accusation gave her pause. If it were truly only their opinions that mattered she wouldn't be going to such great lengths to hide their affections for one another. The goddess often times reached her patience limit with the other deities and imagined leaving Olympus behind to live a life among the mortals. It was impossible, of course, but sometimes she wondered what it would be like to be human, so blissfully unaware and unimportant in the grander scheme of things. Dionysius and she could be together then, free of the other god's criticism.

"He is still my brother, and I will defend his people as if they were my own." Her voice shook as she declared her position, unwavering in her decision. It tore her apart to have to pick between her brother and the man who had come to mean so much to her, but her mind was made and she had sworn her loyalty to her brother centuries before Dionysius had even been conceived.

"Being on opposing sides doesn't have to me us enemies." She pleaded, unwilling to let a simple human spat tear apart something they had both worked so hard to save. As stubborn willed as she was, she could understand his decision and hoped he understood hers.

"I would slay a thousand men for you, Dionysius. I would join you in anything, anything but this."

Dionysus didn't like the words from her mouth. Normally they were sweet like wine and honey but now they just stung. He gave her a pained look for a moment before turning away from her. The god couldn't look at her beauty right now; it would make him waver in his decision and he did not want to back down.

"But it does and to think otherwise is naive. I cannot be seen with you even more so. To do so would question my loyalty to the Greeks and to the others who choose them, including Hera. I don't understand how you do not see that."

He looked over his shoulder at her, hoping she would know it hurt him to say this. To potentially be hurting her. If she cared for him half as much as he did for her, then it would. For a moment the two stared at each other. Dionysus turned back to her fully then and swiftly closed the small gap between them. One arm wrapped around Artemis's body while he used the other to cup her face.

"I'm sorry," he said before his lips met hers for a final time - who knew when or if they could be together again.

The kiss was quick unlike many of the others they had shared. When he pulled away from her, he could hear his lips begging to stay upon hers. But if they were going to be on different sides, one of them had to break the spell. This time, it would be him.

"I hope you will forgive me," he said quietly, before he stalked off towards his grotto so he could sit in sorrow alone.

A war was upon them, and even if he wasn't a fan he would need a clear head to fight against Artemis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back