• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Bloodlines

She stays quiet as well, deep in thought, and wondering what has become of her daughter. And what lead her to become the property of a necromancer. A powerful one too. She’s counting the miles, and the range of direct control involved in getting her here is something that makes her very frightened for both herself and her daughter.

The language he used when speaking about Kora chills her to the bone. About ‘committing herself fully,’ which brings to mind all of the cults she’s seen in her time. She doesn’t want Korvashta to be pulled into something like that.
St. Boethius St. Boethius

It would be until dawn of the next morning when the ghouls arrived in Benton’s driveways. The ghouls would exit the car. One would open the door of the car and the other would hold open the door of the garage. Benton himself was roused by his sleep when the ghouls arrived back. Benton yawned and slowly dressed himself in his usual business formal attire and walked over to Khora’s door.

The ghouls would guide Mena to the living room before returning themselves to a freeze locker. Benton knocked on Khora’s door, “Khora? Good news. Your mother has been brought here and is waiting in the living room.” With that Benton moved to his study and quietly began reading. He had no interest in knowing what they talked about. If something happened there were enough ghouls milling about to restrain them.
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Kora is stunned, and it takes her a few minutes to be able to get up. She’s afraid. She slowly walks down to the living room, seeing a very old, frail looking woman, sitting on the couch. She looks so nervous. Kora slowly walks around to stand in front of the couch, and Mena looks up, her eyes going wide.

The two women stare at each other for a long moment, until Mena gets up, and grabs her daughter, hugging her tight. Kora tenses up, not knowing how to respond to that. She hugs Mena back gingerly, ducking her head, and closing her eyes. She’s crying now, holding her tighter. All this time, and her mother’s scent still makes her feel things she hasn’t felt in years.

It’s a long time before either of them say anything at all, just trying to get over the sheer fact that they’ve been reunited. It’s Kora that eventually breaks the hug, putting her hand to her mother’s cheek. Her eyes flit over her face, trying to remember what her mother used to look like. “Mama.” She whispers, her voice choked with emotion.

Mena swallows, realizing how tall her daughter is in comparison to her. “Gods, Korrie, look at you… you’ve become so beautiful.” Korvashta laughs a bit, tears still trailing down her face. “You too, mama.” She whispers. Neither of them know what to say. It’s been nearly sixty years without each other.

Benton made sure that at least 4 of his ghouls were within range to restrain the two should something happen. They worked as they made sure to stay close. Some dusted, others cooked, and a few did other general cleaning tasks. Other than that he just kept reading and allowed them to have thier moment. Once there was a few moments of silence a chief ghoul came out of the kitchen presented a crudely made finger foods.
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Kora smiles, taking some of it. Her mother hesitates, not wanting to get too close to the ghoul. Korvashta looks over at her, understanding. “It’s okay. We’re safe.” She murmurs, Mena looks worried still. “Are you sure?” She whispers, and Kora pauses for a moment before nodding. “Doctor Benton is kinder than any master I’ve had before. Kind to me, anyway.”

Mena thinks about that for a moment. “Alright then…” she doesn’t trust Benton at at all, but she can at least respect that. She’s angry about he drew her out, but he did it for Kora. She’ll give him a small amount of trust. She reaches out to take a small sandwich, nibbling on it.that makes her daughter grin as the two go back to the couch.

Benton would keep on reading for a bit until he noticed that there was very little talking between them. If they weren’t going to catch up he would introduce himself and say his part to the both of them. Benton got up from his chair and made his way down stairs to meet with the both of them. “ I hope you two are enjoying your reunion.” Benton said as he entered the room.
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Mena feels him coming before Korvashta is aware of him, feeling the creeping sensation of dark magic as he approaches. She watches him as he comes in, but even with her wariness, there’s none of the disgust or shock that most people feel the first time they see him. She nods at his words. “Yes. Thank you for finding me. I never thought I would see Kora again.”

Kora smiles at him, making room on the couch. “Thank you so much. I’ve been worrying about her for years.” Mena chuckles incredulously. “Really? You’ve been worrying about me? You’re the one that was in danger.” She points out. “I’ve been fine. They didn’t have enough interest in me to try and hunt a green witch in a forest. At least not after the first few returned to them.”

Benton smiled and took a seat next to Khora, but not in between the two women. “ I don’t know what your life was like with the Lantons but as you’ve noticed I run a different kind of ship here. Perhaps it’s because of personal experience, but I’ve seen what discrimination and oppression foster and I’ve done my best to avoid it.” Benton said as he took a sandwich for himself. “ I want you to know you are free to stay here as long as you wish. You may also go where you wish on my estate as long as you avoid my bedroom, and my lab. Those are my only conditions.” Benton didn’t say what the punishment would be should she ignore his warnings as he was sure she could guess his answer to the question. “Do you have any questions for me....” Benton’s word trailed off as he looked between them hoping one of them would actually tell him Mena’s Name.
Benton’s estate consisted of a large mansion seemingly out in the sticks. Surrounded by rolling fields of farm land. Surrounding the mansion was a massive cemetery that would keep expanding the more bodies he acquired. What Benton had going on here was a free of charge undertaking service. Vampire houses would send thier dead servants and sometimes enemies to him, and humans who didn’t want to pay for burial and weren’t bothered with the idea of thier bodies being used for ghouls were allowed to have a plot in his home. He would even throw in a casket for free. Benton has even had an understanding with serial killers. They could bury whoever they wanted, but if they got caught by the groundskeeper ghouls it was fair game.
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

The old woman dips her head to him, smiling a bit. That makes her feel a bit safer. Of course he’s dangerous. Anyone who wants to deal on equal terms with vampires needs to be dangerous. It’s not even that she has an issue with dark magic. There’s a place for it, and she understands that. The main thing she takes issue with is that he attacked her home to get her attention. And she still isn’t sure Korvashta is safe.

“Mena Lerrin.” She says, in answer to his sentence trailing off. “And, just one, really. You said earlier that Kora wanted to see me before she committed fully. What did you mean by that?” The fact that Kora herself looks slightly nervous doesn’t do much to soothe her worries, but she wants to hear it from Benton, to understand more clearly what he’s planning to do.

Benton nodded when Mena asked her question. “ Ah, that. Well as it stands I am currently working on an experiment that tests the effects that my blood and by extension my magic has on vampires and the like, with very promising and interesting results.” Benton began to explain. “ You see a vampire, resurrected by my magic doesn’t become a mindless ghoul like humans do. They retain, at least partially, thier personality or more specifically thier minds.” Benton said tapping his head as he spoke. “ the next logical step is see what happens when my blood and the power there within is injected into a Dhampir. However, just because I was given the perfect test subject doesn’t mean I’ll just subject her to my will. My own ethics prevent that. She has the option to walk out that door right and live with you in that forest for the rest of her days. My research has already made leaps and bounds that will keep me investigating for decades if not longer. “Benton said gesttto his door. “ unless she turns into a beast like those vampires I don’t care. I can wait for a more suitable subject. “
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Mena closes her eyes, smiling. “Alright then.” She feels better now. “Out of curiosity, what do you think it will do? After all, there’s the additional variable that she’s my daughter, and as such should have some of my magic in her blood as well. The clash of magics could have any number of results.”

Kora lets out a long, relieved breath. She was worried that this topic could lead to something bad, but it seems like her mother’s worries have left after Benton said he’d be willing to let her go. Korvashta is surprised her mother didn’t immediately try to take her and leave, though.

Benton thought for a moment, “ That’s a good question... “ Benton actually began to wonder what would happen if he did the same to Mena. He had never tried making a ghoul of a human with magic. They were rare breeds after all. “ Well i try to avoid needless speculation and just let results speak for themselves. Either the mixture would essentially make her a Revenant like myself or the clash would tear her body apart I suppose. I would also be interested in what would happen with you Mena... but again you’re much to decent a person to force such a fate on to.”
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Mena chuckles, shaking her head. “I really don’t know if my body could take it at this point.” She says softly, looking down at her hand. “I’m able to stop myself from getting sick, and I can heal myself, and that’s about the only reason I’ve made it this long. I don’t think that kind of trauma would do me any good.”

Kora glances down. She was always going to outlive her mother, she knew that, but hearing her say it is surprisingly painful. Mena isn’t just old, she’s at the age where every night she goes to sleep, she wonders if she’ll wake up. Kora kind of hoped she’ll consider that offer at some point.

Benton nodded, “ I sat where you do once a very long time ago. Staring death in the face. Of course unlike you seem to be I didn’t accept my end. Of course the circumstances were a tad bit different. Rather than old age coming for me it was a quick and violent death than chased me down. It was a complete fluke that my magic manifested itself. All it took was a shot gun blast to the chest.” Benton chuckled. “ if you feel like giving it a shot just let me know.”
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Mena nods. “Thank you. I’ll think about it.” She says softly. She already seems deep in thought over it. She wants to be able to spend the time with her daughter that was robbed of them. But if it goes wrong, and she dies, then she won’t get the chance. “It’s been a long time. Frankly, I didn’t expect to live this long in the first place. Kind of figured someone stronger would have killed me by now. But I’m already ninety six.” She chuckles. “All I really wanted was to see her again.”

Korvashta has already had time to come to terms with it. Granted, she won’t be dying a natural death any time soon. But it looks like Benton might have a lot of enemies in the near future, and if this could make her stronger, able to fight back, then that’s what she’ll do. She’s glad to have both of these people. The two people in her entire life willing to show her kindness. She’s going to do whatever she has to to keep them safe.

Benton nodded and got up from the couch. “ It’ll be night fall quicker than you think out here. Of course if you wish to stay you have my blessing, but if you plan to leave I would depart quickly. The vampire lords no doubt know I have you Mena and they will come for you. The only reason they don’t now is thier fear for me, but children can grow arrogant and overconfident if they aren’t smacked with a stick.” Benton sighed as he leaned against the door frame leading out of the window. “ They might try to take you, both of you.”
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Mena takes a deep breath. “Considering what you did to my forest, some might think you killed me, but you’re right. I’ll be less powerful here, but I have some tricks.” Kora’s ears pin against her skull in anger, her teeth bared. “Would you like me to try and take them alive?” She growls lowly. Mena looks at her sadly. She wonders what must have happened to her to have so much raw anger. She was a slightly aggressive child, but nothing like this.

Benton shrugged at Khora’s question, “ Death has never been much of an obstacle to me. Although we can manage to keep one alive for interrogation then that should be enough.” Benton glanced over at the clock. It was noon and only 6 hours before nightfall. “ We still have some time before they would make thier move on us. Relax, enjoy your time together. Have a meal. I’ll go make sure everything is prepared for thier arrival.” Benton walked through his home and made his way down to his lab. It was time to activate his defenses and release his more combat able creations on to the grounds.
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Kora nods, taking a deep breath. “Right.” She murmurs, glancing over at her mother, who smiles. “We’re going to be fine.” Mena promises, hugging her gently. Kora nods. “Are you hungry at all?” Mena nods. “It took a while to get here.” Kora grins. “Awesome. I’ll make us something.” She says, walking toward the kitchen to see what she can make for them. In a bit, the two of them are enjoying some chicken soup, and trying to catch each other up on the past fifty years.

The house would glow and hum with Benton’s dark magic for a moment before a pulse of dark magic radiated out across the entirety of Benton’s estate. If one looked out the window they would see a large magic array had been carved into the ground by the groundskeepers the ground would glow for a moment before fading away. Next would be ungodly screams as Benton revived his more... abstract creations and released them into the grounds. A thick fog would roll into the estate from nowhere making it impossible to see Benton’s creatures fully. Only vague outlines. A moment later Benton would appear outside the kitchen. “ From here on you two are to stay inside my home. Anything not marked by my magic will be considered hostile.”
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Mena groans, holding her chest as she feels her own magic react to Benton’s. Seeing her shaking, Korvashta holds her close, stroking her hair anxiously. The two of them nod to Benton. “Understood.” Kortova says, trying to hide her alarm at her mother’s condition. Mena is pale and shaking. She knew leaving her forest would render her vulnerable, but she wasn’t expecting this.

While Benton did feel bad for the position his magic put Mena in he couldn’t afford to pull any punches tonight. As the darkness fell on Benton’s home his power would increase further. Benton had always been curious on why that had been. He had a theory that his power was the end result of a bargain he made with some demon or pagan god. Benton had never made any efforts to contact such a being and his own beliefs in Christianity was stronger than his idle curiosity. When the first of the enemies crossed into Benton’s domain he was surprised and held his creatures back from attacking them Lord Lanton himself had decided to pay them a visit.
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Kora gently picks her mother up, and sprints for her room, hoping that her mother’s scent will be covered by her own. She’s exceptionally frightened, knowing that any amount of stress could be fatal for Mena. She doesn’t know whether she should go back down to Benton, or stay here to protect her mother.

Lanton is an imposing figure. It’s not his appearance, or his dress, or even his entourage. No, the man just radiates power and authority, coming like waves of heat off of his person. He smirks ever so slightly as the creatures back off. Good to know that Benton still respects his superiors. Myrtis stands not far behind him as they reach the door, wondering how this standoff between his two masters will end. Lanton raps on the door, well aware that his presence is already known.

Benton himself answered the door. “ Well well, what a surprise Lord Lanton himself... please come in.” Benton said opening the door for his guest. If he could get Lanton inside he could pick off whatever reinforcements the vampire brought with him with ease. Even in all his years on this earth Benton was still unnerved by Lanton. Though maybe it’s the new eyes but Benton was feeling better than he usually did in the Lords presence.
Eliasdagood Eliasdagood

Lanton smiles cooly, stepping inside. “Doctor Benton. Always a pleasure.” He purrs, glancing around. “How have you been? I do hope my gift has been of use to you.” He knows Mena is here. He wants her to become one of his, but he was never able to get to her when she was in her home. She would make a powerful Kentaya. But if he wants to take her, he has to move quickly.

Kora is just trying to keep her mother up at this point, getting her water from the bathroom tap to avoid going anywhere near whoever showed up. Hopefully Mena will get used to this eventually, because right now she’s very sick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back