• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Bloodborne: Old Yarhnam

Stok

The Mercenary
4d75a60a53e77a3c5ec1461723ebf815.gif

Yarnahm, a sprawling city of cobblestone and gothic architecture. Though it is young, the Byrgenworth college brings an air of sophistication to this bustling little burg. The church provides help to the poor, and healing to the sick. All in all Yarnahm has all of what could be needed by the modern man. Including mystery. Terrible mystery.

About five years ago a debilitating blood illness swept through the population. The wealthy built new homes in the new upper districts to escape the affliction of the poor. It started with fever, then hallucinations, until finally just before death the victims fall into a violent madness. The plague had bodies piling up in the streets, and chilling rumors of deranged howling coming from the countryside doubled the paranoia amongst the populous. The church, however, did not abandon them.

Eventually the illness seemed to mutate, and so did it's victims. The preventative treatment of Blood Ministration inoculated some all together, who largely became investigators looking into the matter. Finally the horrible final stage of the plague was discovered by Ludwig, a church decon. The disease was some sort of lycanthropy. Now that it had matured within Yarnahm's population, they had need of Hunters.

The Church Hunters were wildly successful in making ground in the investigation. Ludwig led them on a bloody crusade, but nonetheless the tide of infected grew. He began to believe they would not have enough of the clergy to adequately combat the coming storm. Thus, he petitioned the Bishops to recruit from the common man, which they vehemently argued against. For four days they did not leave the Grand Cathedral as this meeting waged on. Eventually, however, Ludwig emerged victorious.

The citizens of Yarnahm formed The Workshop, under the watchful eye of the church. Meanwhile said church made sure to adapt anything they liked of the Workshop's mechanisms into their own skillful designs. Eventually the two organizations were standing by themselves, and making headway in the defense and curing of Yarnahm.

Perhaps the Old Neighborhood can be saved yet.

HELLO ONE AND ALL!

I, am Stok. A frequenter of forums, composer of ideas, and massive fan of From Software. I have taken a little jaunt around the other places of the internet, and found my way back here to my home nation more than once. Really, it is the most active community I've ever found for this little hobby. Admittedly, though, many roleplay here ARE short lived. One thing is certain, roleplays will do better if the GM is motivated and active. I can assure you I am those two things!

I have been roleplaying since I was sixteen, almost ten years ago now. I can promise a steady balance of action and genuine plot! I only ask you to respect me and your other player's time by putting effort into your posts, and communicating when you are busy. I hope to find the community of this site's glory days! Who perhaps will write other plots with me when this game comes to a close.

So, what can you expect from this roleplay?

* Quite a bit of action. I like descriptive, strategic fight scenes! Meaning that while you aren't playing with player death turned on, I might expect you to put a little bit of effort in before my baddies fall at your feat, defeated.

* Getting creative with the canon. I have not currently beaten bloodborne, but I do know the basic gist. Essentially, this whole blood plague thing is really a curse set upon the humans of yarnahm by eldritch beings who have trapped yarnahm in a never ending nightmare. I'd like to twist this a bit. Those elder gods will be involved, but we are still in the waking world! There really is a physical plague which causes lycanthropy (amongst other things). We will be slaying said beasts, and eventually our hunt will culminate in the burning of Old Yarnahm in an attempt to completely defeat the scourge. We will all think we've won, while having a bad feeling we didn't at the end. The in between will be the mystery part! Why exactly do we fail despite sacrificing the old neighborhood? That remains to be seen.

* Do I have to be close to canon with my character design? No! So long as your character style is Victorian, you can have any weapon you'd like as a hunter. I would like this to match your faction, however. The hunters typically use transforming weapons with clockwork mechanisms, so that their single weapon suits multiple situations. An extendable axe, or a cane which turns into a whip for example.

The church hunters used similar things, but revolved around swords and shields like knights. Perhaps a straight sword which combines with its sheath to create a hammer or a greater sword.

Of course, there may be hunters who prefer a simple blade. Or many pistols to swap between over a melee weapon at all. (The highest technology being single shot mechanisms. However, we don't have to take fifteen minutes to reload. Think of it like you're just dropping another ball in the barrel before retaking aim)

* Is there magic amongst humans? Yes! For the purposes of this roleplay, Byrgenworth college will be our magical headquarters. Knowledge about caryll runes and spellcasting will center here. The only kinds of magic, however, will be electricity control, pyromancy, and arcane chants. The arcane giving one transformative abilities like beast forms, or tentacles. Each of these will be connected with the lore in some way, and will likely effect your character backstory. I will explain how in DMs once you choose this path!

* If you know nothing about bloodborne, this is likely even better as you won't see any twists or turns coming. Just think of yourself as a monster hunter in Victorian England! Unfortunately you may have to do some wiki perusing to understand some themes and powers. If you are a big fan of bloodborne, welcome! I hope you don't mind the alterations I've made to the story. I feel that having the whole thing be a dream kind of ruins the idea of fighting for your life and winning! So I've just taken that part out and tweaked the power system a little.

*For hardcore fans, I have not played the Old Hunters dlc. I'm sorry for this, and I'm getting to it! I reserve the right to ignore lore which interferes with my planned plot points, but I am open to input which makes the story more interesting! I am sorry if this disappoints you.

* Pvp will be a thing in this game. Members of certain factions might find themselves briefly on the opposite sides of an argument. In these situations no one will die, and we will determine the winner by one of two factors. Either the story will require a specific outcome, or the whole crew including myself will vote on the victor! In the case of victory, we will judge by these factors: creative use of weapons/powers, general writing quality, and character development. Infer about those terms what you will!

Alternatively if someone is more comfortable planning out the ending in advance, the two fighters may agree to that. If they are more comfortable with me deciding, I will try my best to use logic to determine how the matchup would most likely go depending on the character's backstories and abilities.

* Attendance: If it is your turn in rotation, I would like you to check in every three days minimum. Notice this does not mean you have to post, but just let us know you're alive and plan to get to it. In this case I may ask if we can skip you depending on what is happening in the scene.

Everyone else I would like if you check in every week, though I understand if you have nothing to say if it isn't your turn!

* Can I play a canon character? Yes, but with limitations. I may need you to do and act a certain way depending on your character. Know you are heavily subject to being directed at times to advance the story. If you're the kind of person who finds this fun, go for it! I may even need your input if you know that character intimately, lore wise.

Workshop Hunter: a yarnahmite or outsider who has joined the workshop. These hunters mostly use trick weapons and single handed firearms. Highly agile and creative. They work closely with the church.

Church Hunter: a member of the clergy who has vowed to give their life to the cause of curing yarnahm's affliction through hunting. Must be an Acolyte, Priest, Nun, Deacon (slightly above the two) or similar positions. All bishops will be NPCs.

Hunter of Hunters: think military police combined with assassin's. Some hunters have gone mad from the affliction themselves. They rage on, even in their hallucinogenic state, and must be put down. In addition some hunters crack under the pressure and go bad. Abandon their post, or worse their comrades. They must be brought to justice and sometimes, killed.

Student: one of Byrgenworth college. Newly joined, or about to graduate? Studying what exactly? The caryll runes, the history of yarnahm, the nature of blood ministration and mutation? It's up to you!

Professor: a learned scholar of many talents, likely. You likely fear being expelled from the college more than you fear the church or the nobles.

Powder Keg: a vigilante whom has taken up the fight themselves with no prompting. The authorities simply weren't doing enough for you. You likely got your blood ministration treatment from the black market, as well as any runes, mutations, or magic you may have acquired. Perhaps someone will organize this group soon?

Name:
Appearance and Dress: (drawn art encouraged! Description perfectly fine as well)

Origin: (either you are a yarnahm native of old yarnahm (likely poor), Upper Yarnahm (likely rich, noble, clergy, merchant, etc), or an outsider. Countries can vary, but know outsiders are not trusted in yarnahm)
Class: (to help solidify your character archetype. Choose from Church Hunter, Workshop Hunter, Hunter of Hunters, student, professor, or Powder Keg)

Bio: (write your full history here, I may edit it slightly to make it fit canon depending on your knowledge of the subject. Some reading of the wiki might be necessary in cases of specific character archetypes. Character age and experience will play a part here. A student or new recruit would have more room to grow, let's say. While a professor or High ranking priest would be more powerful at the start with better weapons)

Physical Abilities: (are you strong? Are you fast? Intelligent, cunning, or brutal? Perfectly balanced perhaps? Let us know)

Magic: (think of this as an overarching magic type as opposed to individual spells. For instance, extending your arm to form a tentacle and use it like a whip. Expand off of this to become a full squid monster as an ultimate form, and play with it in between. You can detail the effects individually, but try to keep them vague.

General electricity control, and fire bending, being the only elemental powers.

Similarly, beasthood might be a full on werewolf transformation. Or perhaps a swamp creature/fish man of sorts? But either way you could have multiple in between steps to not use too much stamina all at once!

The mutations of bloodborne creatures are varied, but think classic monster movie. Darkbeasts are a different story, wolf-like beings, but producing lightning. This could be you, but know that if you go this route you will be overpowered. This means I might incapacitate you for certain scenes or lock you in combat with a powerful foe to ensure you don't just punch your way through our mysteries and problems! Everyone has a role to play in the story, and if you choose one you must follow the path it takes!

In this same vein of thought, know that the more talented at magic you are the less I expect your combat ability to be honed. We only have so much time to put into our training either way, know what I mean?)

Caryll Runes: the mark of the hunter. Whether you take magic or not, you have access to runes. One for newbies, three maximum for veterans. They might make you slightly faster, more durable, ignore pain perhaps? Think of it as a slight buff spell to accentuate your class.

Weapons: (classic medieval weapons available, single fire pistols and rifles, transforming weapons)

Armor: (think leather or chainmail, steel is too heavy according to bloodborne cannon as beasts are quite agile)

Extra equipment and Possessions: (throwing knives, molotov cocktails, traps of some sort?)

Other: (tell me anything I may have forgotten!)

If I get two people interested in this, I will post a character sheet thread and OOC. Thankyou for your time!

Last edited:

Well with Thanksgiving and all, I don't expect a reply for a few days from any of you! But thanks so much for being interested and feel free to say hi in the OOC. My character is of course not finished, and I'll be adding another Original Character which will be more of a main character for me before we start!

We are doing this people! Characters are still being added and discussed as we speak!

Now this certainly seems interesting, is there still room for this skeleton to throw his hat into the ring and join on in?

Now this certainly seems interesting, is there still room for this skeleton to throw his hat into the ring and join on in?
There is PLENTY of room. Our second player just finished their sheet, though I have yet to approve it. Please come into the OOC with any questions! Pm me if you want to keep any backstory a secret!

We have four players, and are still open to accepting more. At this point, however, the narrative may start without you. Which is alright with me if it's alright with you! Joining late can be fun, makes for a cool entrance. We still have one player we're waiting on to input their character sheet, so you could slide in right before the start as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back