Blackburn's Crossing Chapter 4: Snake Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constabulary:

"An interesting account," says Alistair glancing over to Samuel as he seemed to be in deep thought. "It sounds as if the Ghost of the original Maria had been contacted, which had lead you to the conclusion. Spirits are rather unrestful in Mordent, and sometimes they can be helpful in solving their own murders. A bit odd for one to show this late but perhaps it had stuck around just for such a chance."

Samuel nodded for a moment then his focus shifted over to Kallisto. "It is definitely suspicious that this 'Heather' has slipped away around the time the noose started to close around her. Indicative of guilt but not necessarily guilty in itself. Unforunately even if we were to catch the person the evidence might not hold up in a hearing, but if we ever found out the method of which the person swapped." Samuel seemed to frown. "Worse, the person in question might be an number of such creatures that can hop into other bodies, from a particularly nasty spirit, devil, or we may be dealing with a whole new creature of the night. Thank you for your cooperation. It was definitely an interesting story, and one that I will make sure to keep an eye out for in the future."

"Do you happen to know where this Heather might have gone?" asked Alistair leaning forward, to which Samuel gave him a small glance before the mentor smiled a bit. Samuel choose to speak on a slight different matter. "We have heard from Simon that the Adaptive Weapon was going to be returned to Derek who appears to have left. I trust he knows the danger of such a weapon and would keep such use discreet. There are many agents of other lands that would find something like that very useful."

Last edited:
Kallisto first glanced towards Alistair, "I ... think it was said she was headed towards Richemulot? Beyond that I'm unsure. You may be able to ask Marcus -- the dock master -- if her name is on any passenger lists, to track the ship she might have ridden on."

Turning her gaze towards Samuel, "Bernard offered to give the Adaptive Weapon to the Einhorns, but they let him keep it instead ... maybe because of the work he did to try and figure out what happened, or because it brought such mixed feelings. From what I have seen, he's been careful in his use, mostly it was used while we were in the swamps. Given the concern we had when it might have been wandering the Crossing, unknown in who held it, I think we have some idea of how dangerous it could be."

Constabulary:

Samuel nods smiling at hearing the caution they had used. "Very good, Alistair did you have any questions for this young lady?" Alistair shook his head. "Nothing further about the case. I would have suggested maybe Dinner for the tale about the swamps but we will have to get the truncated version from Michael."

"Thank you for your due diligence in serving to keep the people of Mordent safe. I pray you manage to keep this place safe under your watch," says Samuel as he stands offers a hand to Kallisto and shakes it with no hesitation. "Alistair since you seem eager to follow this lead I'll let you head to speak with the dock master, as for me I'm going to visit the old Sheriff before he heads off to train his daughter."

"I will meet you back at the Inn, Good day Kallisto." says Alistair as you enter back into the main entryway of the constabulary. Samuel waves Alistair good bye before heading briefly over to speak with Simon, and then he meanders out the door.

Bernard's hard look grows softer as Yelcan responds, "Honestly, I don't know who all will be joining us, though I know the four of us are planning on it, and Kallisto has promised her aid as well. I think Leone intends to join us too?" He finished with a bit of a question, unsure if that was accurate. He smiled, "I'm glad you'll be joining us, but I'll warn you, Lina made it seem like we may be split up when we enter." He looked around to everyone at the table with him, "If we are, everyone's first responsibility is to survive. Then to find the others. The more of us we can get together the better. Once we're together we'll find Merris and the exit and we'll escape, all of us."

Bernard resumed eating his meal, cutting off another piece and offering it to Lina, "Lina, we didn't really get to talk about it before, but we're going into the book to save Merris today. Do you know how time is different in the book versus out here?" Bernard hoped the flow of time would not be drastic, but she would likely know best without his mother to ask. He then asked another question he hadn't really thought about to this point, "When we go into the book, do you want to join us or will you stay here?"

Marsh House:

Lina took the food happily eating much more than it seems like her body should be able to reasonably hold. "Time? Well that depends on the story really. Sometimes it requires days, other times thousands of years can go by in the book. Generally outside time doesn't pass too quickly, so you shouldn't be gone long I think." She bites once more chewing as she thinks of the last question. "If I go back into the book then I won't be me anymore. I'd be someone or something different. I'm not sure I want to be something different," says Lina seemingly unsure.

Bernard nods, "Alright then, will you stay out here and make sure nothing bad happens to the book while we're gone? That way you can stay just the way you are, and we can focus on saving Merris because you'll be watching the book. I trust you wont let anything bad happen to the book while we're inside." Bernard smiled and ate some more of his toast before cutting a small last piece for Lina and finishing the rest.

Arissa had listened to the conversations with interest while also watching to note reactions to her cooking, but she raised an eyebrow as Lina talked about not being ‘her’ anymore. “You say you would become someone or something different... is this because of your unique connection with the world within this ‘Grimm’s Fairy Tales’, or will we all be changed by this?”

Marsh House:

"Both really, though I think mine would be the more permanent," says Lina finishing off the last bit Bernard gives her before wandering around on the table trying to balance on an invisible line, and then loosing balance for a moment before taking flight on her wings instead. "Merris was a Fairy Princess last time she was in the book. Mr. Toad wanted to marry her, but with my help she was able to escape. We took a bean stock all the way to the clouds and ended up here. It was a really tough climb! I thought she would have fallen about five different times."

Arissa frowned slightly as she thought to herself for a moment. The book sounded as if it were some sort of doorway to the Feywild... however I have never heard of anything quite like this. Many fey creatures are capable of changing the form of themselves and others, but this sounds like an inherent property of this bizarre realm. Not wanting to dwell on these concerns, she smiled warmly to Lina and removed a big, ripe, strawberry from her plate, placing it before the small fairy. “Well, that is extremely helpful to know, Lina. Thank you. By any chance do you know how it was that Merris came into possession of this book in the first place? I know you were not there, but seeing as you two seem to be very close I am curious if she had told you.”

Marsh House:

"That's a silly question. Where does everyone get books. At a library!"
Lina takes the strawberry holding it above her head with some struggle and then walking around impressed by her own strength before setting it down and starting to chew through it. "I hope you bring her back soon. I miss her..." She is solemn for a good five seconds before zipping up to look out the window. "The Wasp Brigade is back! Careful you don't get stung!" She zips on into Merris room and emerges with some sort of make shift armor and a toothpick sword. "My work is never done."

Bernard grins at Lina zips off, "Thank you for your help Lina, we'll be sure to bring Merris back. Please watch after the book for us." He looked to Yelcan and Peri, "I have some errands to run, I hope to find Kallisto and stop by Bjorn's shop. Then we'll meet up at the Manor and enter the book." Bernard then stood and looked to Arissa, "Are you coming or staying?" He asked as he left the kitchen to being putting on his armor. He smiled as she went to collect Yorgi and her things, and helped him with his armor.

Once their things were gathered, they set off toward the Constabulary, where Bernard hoped to find Kallisto. He recalled that she'd mentioned needing to give a report to Simon, and it was near enough to the Shatterstone smithy that he could stop in when he was finished. Bernard entered the constabulary past two men he did not recognize, one of them a half-orc which Bernard was surprised to see. He nodded to them with a friendly smile, "Ezra's blessing, gentlemen. I hope your business not to dire. The church is doing what it can to help make the Crossing a safer, more accepting, place."

Inside the main entrance of the constabulary, Bernard found Kallisto, Simon, and his new clerk. "Good morning Simon. Good morning Kallisto, you're just the person I was looking for. Are you about ready to head into the book?" He asked the question as he removed the spear from his hip, the head wrapped in a crimson cloth that looked slightly damp and smelled of iron or rust. "I gave it some thought, and I think this would be put to better use in your hands than in mine. I had thought to sell it, but it seemed like you should have the opportunity to take it first. It is, after all, a part of your heritage. Let this be our first exchange where we are not arguing, please accept this gift." He smiled and bowed his head slightly as he offered her the weapon on both hands with a level of reverence he rarely showed despite his occupation and calling.

Peri quickly sat at the table listening to the goings on as she stored sweet egg bread in her stomach like she was a squirrel getting ready for winter. Helping Yelcan dress his bread properly before she did so of course.

She had disappeared into the kitchen for the honey pot and dripped a little onto her toast as well offering it to others. The honey made it sticky but all the better. Recalling how her father used to make pretty spirals with the honey on his toast and her plate.

Smiling along at Lina a few of the things she said concerned her and she frowned, but any questions she had were spoken quickly by Bernard. Her fingers gently laced with Yelcan’s when it was brought up that they might be changed and only now feeling fear of possible separation. Looking across the table to Bernard and Arissa she smiled. “We will find each other no matter what and time Ezra guide us none will find such story paths that age us to complete.”

When Bernard and Arissa made their exit Peri nodded. “Be safe, I will close up the house again and follow Yelcan to the manor to prepare. Be safe and may you find what you need.” Looking to Yelcan as she finished up her meal. “If you give me a few moments I will wash up and change and we can finish up any tasks that you might want done before meeting everyone.”

Arissa smiled patiently at Lina’s antics. “You’ve guarded the house well in our absence. Good luck, brave warrior!” She watched as Bernard said his goodbyes, and smiled to him as he asked her whether she would be joining him. “As much as I would love to stay and keep Perian and Yelcan company, I believe they may have preparations of their own to make.”

Arissa stood from the table and walked around the table, giving Peri a kiss on the cheek before smiling to her. “Besides, I believe that some of us are still in need of waking, ja?” Arissa tousled Peri’s hair and then began to get ready to go. She luckily not having unpacked her bag for travel, and quickly replaced the flute in her side case with the magical one she had purchased before strapping Yorgi to her side. She moved to help Bernard, unsure of how exactly to put on plate armor, but holding and tightening whatever straps he instructed her to.

Approaching the constabulary, Arissa paused for an instant as she saw the odd tusked man, causing her to think of the stories that were told back home of the frigid lands to the east where the men were rumored to have thick leathery skin and hard tusks. She recovered from her surprise and smiled politely to the two men with a quick curtsy and a ‘Goedemorgen’ before entering the constabulary behind Bernard.

Arissa smiled at Kallisto and Simon as she entered with Bernard. “Goedemorgen, Kallisto. I pray that you have had the rest you so dearly deserved after our prior ordeal. Goedemorgen to you as well, landrechter. I am glad to not have returned to a pile of ashes. From what I have heard, you have done quite well keeping the peace in your first days. It seems the role of sheriff suits you, ja?” She eyed the other man curiously, but then turned her attention to Bernard as he offered Kallisto the spear.

As the pair left Kallisto bowed her head towards them, standing up to see Bernard and Arissa entering instead. She nodded to them both, preparing to respond about the book before Bernard's motions caught her eye as he reached for the spear.

She felt a little hesitant as he offered it to her, switching to Sylvan, and being so formal, aware of the small audience they had. For a moment she desperately wished she had her beaded bracer to pluck as she thought, and her hand moved out of habit before falling instead to Sulrac at her hip. With a growl of a sigh she smiled towards Bernard, "I hope you don't think you have to ... 'appease' me to have a pleasant conversation, but I do appreciate being given the spear again. It would feel ... improper to sell it, in my mind."

Unsheathing Sulrac slightly she ran a hand over the cooled blade, smiling sadly before resheathing it and untying it from her sash, placing it in Bernard's hands as she lifted the spear away. "'A Gift freely Given', right? Sulrac helped me in its own way, but I think it's time it helps another. Do with it as you see fit, like the totems I carve, I think it's still yet to find its home."

Bernard smiled as Kallisto took the spear. "I do not offer this to appease you, but because it felt right that you have the chance to claim it. A gift freely given." Bernard repeated the phrase. As his hands close around Surlac, Bernard nods, "Thank you. Perhaps Bjorn will find it a more fitting home." He attached the blade to his hip for the moment."I appreciate your help with finding my mother. We've learned a bit more but I'll share it when we've gathered at James' Manor. Did you have anything to take care of before we head off?"

Bernard turned to Simon, "I hope the acolytes have helped keep casualties down in the guard while we were gone. I know we just returned from the swamp, but I need Kallisto's assistance to rescue my mother. Isaiah imprissoned her before the ball and it's been nearly two weeks now." Bernard looked concerned as he turned between the two of them.

Last edited:
Looking over the wrapped head of the spear Kallisto smirked, "Seems as though the weapons I get lately all have coverings ..." before shaking her head towards Bernard.

"No -- I was actually about to head home and retrieve the axe. It was nice not having it strapped to my back for a little while, but ..." Kallisto frowned for a moment as she listened to the mental growl that was everpresent again. "At some point I may need to talk to you two about it," she glanced between Bernard and Arissa. "Either way, I gave my report for the constabulary about our time in the swamps, and attempted to explain the Maria Einhorn case to the Lamplighters -- the two who just left -- I don't have much left except ..." Kallisto turned towards Simon, "Did you ever manage to ask James to look over Lora? I think I overheard something about paintings but ... that doesn't sound like people who're elfshot."

Last edited:
Constabulary:

"Up to more interesting stuff I hear," says Simon noting the conversation about a book. He seems generally interested but doesn't seem to want to impose. "It is nice to see you again as well Arissa, though as I mentioned before Simon is fine. Things have been a bit quiet for the most part since you all left for the Swamp but we've a few things we are looking into. The new doctor that has moved in seems to be going around making a bit of noise for his new clinic though." He gives her a side grin before looking over to Bernard. "The Acolytes have been doing well, managed to heal a few people after stopping a brawl in the streets thus far. Sorry to hear about you're mother."

Simon then turns over to Kallisto asking him about Lora.
"James was able to loan me a few books to read upon the subject. I now believe it to be somehow fey related, though I must admit to having never seen a fey before. When asking the two Lamplighters they have assured me they do exist. The term the books use that she has probably become a Changeling. The fey having cut away a bit of the emotional spark of a person and leave only a shell of the former person behind. Often they seem stuck in a state of apathy going about their daily routine without a hint of flair. The one thing that makes me sure of this, is there shadows are cut away. I checked Lora, and she doesn't have a shadow."

"The books mention the fey taking the shadow or Changeling back to their land. It was named Arak or something like that, and it is there that the shadow lives out it's days happy and equally focused on improving their craft. They apparently see this as a reward to mortals," says Simon frowning at bit at this as if he does not understand why. "I've made a few more inquiries to James to see if he could find anything related to this 'Arak' but nothing so far."

Arissa stared at Simon in confusion for a moment before a smile crept onto her face. “I have heard somewhat of Lora’s condition, but I had not heard that the denizens of the Feywild were responsible. Luckily for you, I graduated from the foremost university of Fey magic in my world. To the best of my knowledge, Arak is not a place, but a person. He is known to us as De Verloren Sprookjeskoning, in your tongue Arak, the Lost Fairy King. He was an Erlking, one of the strongest types of feylords... which is why it was rather odd when he disappeared suddenly, never to be heard from again. Perhaps... perhaps even a mighty Erlking can be claimed by the Mists of your land?”

Arissa frowned and bit her lip for a moment as she thought before shrugging. “Regardless, I have heard tales of children and particularly skilled tradesmen being claimed by fey spirits, but Lora seems too old, and I do not mean any insult, but she hardly has the usual renown of such an individual. As for this talk of taking shadows... this is news to me.”

Bernard grinned as Simon corrected Arissa, "I'm afraid that's an argument you'll always lose, Simon. Even though we're married, I rarely hear a name other than Vader." He chuckled. "I'm glad the acolytes are doing well. Let me or Archibald know if the guard needs any more support and we'll see what we can do."

Bernard fell quiet as the discussion moved toward Lora and they fey. Bernard had limited experience with them, mostly second or third hand through Arissa and Yelcan's magic or interaction with Lina and Hyde. In response to Arissa's thought's Bernard shrugged, "If it's a reward then maybe she performed some service for the fey?" Bernard went quiet again, Seems like you couldn't be too picky with death so common place here. His thoughts shifted him into another matter of death.

"Simon, sorry to change the subject, but I was just reminded... There was a man here from Darkon, Mortimus. He came to us in the swamps as we returned, which was unexpected. James has deceived the man, and his life may be in danger. You may want to have some one watch out for him. From what Dmitri told us of Darkon, we'll not be able to save him, but it's probably better to know if he dies. Mortimus also mentioned the item Dmitri was sent to steal and examine, the Helle Welle, was received by the Wizard King himself." Bernard looked around, "Sorry. I do not mean to derail the discussion. Perhaps Lora's shadow could be retrieved and returned? But doesn't that beg the question, would she want that? If she made a deal, who are we to unwind it?" He looked to Arissa and Kallisto with a weak smile.

Constabulary:

"Odd, I'm fairly certain the land was called something like that, but maybe I'm mistaken. I'm not the most well read man," says Simon before he scratches the back of his head to what Bernard said. "That could be the case, though I would have thought she'd at least inform her mother... and I'm not entirely comfortable leaving someone having their 'spark' cut away. You've enough on your plate right now however for this conversation so we can revisit it at another time."

"It was reported to me that Mr. Blackburn had received a visitor who had been seen around town a few days,"
says Simon narrowing his eyes a bit. "You think this man might try and kill Mr. Blackburn? What's the reason you have to suspect his life is in danger? If he returned this device to King of Darkon I don't see why he would..."

Simon trails off for a moment.
"You all haven't heard yet have you? The Capital of Darkon, Il Aluk recently had some sort of catastrophe. News is sort of just reaching us, and I now wonder if that business is perhaps related to the item in question. The King of Darkon was at the event and presumed to be dead along with the rest of the city. I don't have many more details beyond that since most of the news has filtered through sailors passing through that had received word of it first. I'll be sure to have a chat with Mr. Blackburn about this, as well as how his security for the Manor is coming along. He had briefly mentioned hiring people to help guard the large mansion."

Kallisto leaned against the wall as she listened to the discussion switch to Fey ... it was concerning, and she wasn't entirely sure how she felt about it being a 'reward'. She shrugged towards Bernard, rubbing the pads on her palm, "There's a large difference between a deal made in agreement on both sides, and something taken but phrased as a gift instead. I'd rather learn if she did it by choice, or it was a choice made for her."

As Simon continued, describing what happened in Darkon, she looked between Arissa and Bernard -- she hadn't fully understood everything mentioned in the swamp, but she frowned at the thought of an entire city being wiped out -- the scale maybe not as easy for her to follow, but she recalled the devesation of just seeing Tumbledown so empty. A capital to be like that ... how?

Bernard nods to Kallisto's sentiment, "If she remembers whether it was her choice or not, I could find out. Though I agree with Simon, we have more pressing concerns and honestly I need to spend more time with the church when we're done. I'd be happy to assist where I can, but it's probably best that I let the guards and lamplighters do their jobs."

Bernard smiled but it quickly faded as he learned of Il Aluk's fate. "Mortimus mentioned something when he approached us in the swamp that seem particularly relevant. The Helle Welle works as intended - which implies that whatever happened in Il Aluk was what Azalin meant to happen. I would not be so quick to believe that he is dead. And I am concerned for James' safety because it is rare that pretending to be someone you are not ends well. The longer the charade, the worse the result in my experience. Take Maria and Heather for example." Bernard sighed, "I would also worry that if I am wrong, and the Wizard King is dead that there are plenty of people who would want to ruin or end the man who delivered his fate. Men that powerful are not without friends." Bernard shook his head, "At any rate, I'd recommend you keep an eye on James, better to know if something happens sooner rather than later."

Bernard nodded, "I should get going, I need to see Bjorn before his shop gets too busy so we can leave at a reasonable hour." He looked to Kallisto, "I'll see you at the Manor soon." He turned to Arissa who seemed focused on her own thoughts. Leaning in to give her a kiss, he smiled, "Go take care of whatever is on your mind, love. I'll see you at the manor too."

With that Bernard left the Constabulary, traveling to the Shatterstone Smithy. "Good morning, Bjorn." He states as he enters the shop.

Constabulary:

"Yes, we'll keep an eye on the person the town was named after. I suppose it would be an ill omen for that line to end. I will keep your council under advisement as things develope. It should be interesting to hear if it is as you say and the King orchestrated this on his own people though for what purpose? To provoke a response from Falkovnia? No, my war days are over time to focus on only things that affect the crossing."
Simon seems to remind himself before nodding to Bernard letting him know that he got the importance of looking after James. "However before you go there is more news, though not as grim. Your sister and mother have gone up in station it seems. I got a letter from Lord Weathermay informing me of this, and I believe the offical letter is being held at the town hall. You might want to stop by there and grab it for your sister and mother."

Arissa continued to ponder the implications of this strange fey phenomenon, but turned to look at Simon in shock as he described the catastrophic events that took place in Darkon. An entire city destroyed? Gods, I cannot fathom such a tragedy. From what I have heard, it sounds as if Darkon is as least as large as Carmanth, perhaps even larger... Cardam was home to around two hundred thousand souls... perhaps even more. What in the name of the gods did the Blackburns create?

Arissa was shaken from her thoughts as Bernard approached her and smiled embarrassedly for a moment. “Apologies, I was... processing. I will see you at the manor soon, and perhaps I may bring along a friend.” She kisses Bernard back and smiled to him to reassure that she was okay and watched him as he left for a few moments before turning back to Kallisto with a smile. “I am glad that you are coming with us. Gods know what we might face in the book, but I am glad that your might will stand by our side. I had a thought... you do recall that man we had found by the roadside, ja? He is a highly skilled doctor. I know we have been managing between Bernard’s divine power and Perian and I’s magic, but I believe that we may need something a little more potent to round out our talents. I am certain you know that things can get very dangerous out there more than most. I was thinking of speaking with him to ask him to join us. Would you like to join me? I would love the company.”

Last edited:
Kallisto nodded towards Bernard as he left, before turning to Arissa, "It's only right I help Bernard and Perian after they helped me ... but yes," Kallisto rubbed some of the scars she had from Violette's attacks the first day in the swamp, mostly healed but a few still visible, "I know very well how dangerous things can be. I'll come along if you'll have me -- I'm curious how his clinic has been, as well."

She bowed her head towards Simon, "Hopefully we won't be gone for too long, and I can help with other tasks for the guards. Oh -- er ... Marcus told me Ocer starting bringing things to the house while I was gone. If ... anyone reported things missing, it might be at our place. Ocer ... means well?" Kallisto shrugged with a smile, "Just he seems once he gets a hold of something, who knows where it'll turn up. Someday maybe I can get him to find things instead of just run off with them."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back