Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilfer

Mistwalker
Mordent
755 BC (Late Autumn)
Blackburn's Crossing

Dawn of the 16th Day:

The Ball now over, life tries to recover after the night that was had at Blackburn Manor. Isaiah's attack on Blackburn Manor seems to be a talk of the town, as well as a few rumors that there is a feud between the Hathoway's and the Blackburns. Even maybe the church might finally call out his family for dealing with devils, and the like. The storm has finally past and despite some early morning fog the sun comes out to a mostly clear day allowing people to go about their business without having to worry about fighting the rain. Many nobles begin to filter out from the docks, heading their respective ways, some with business deals, others with promises of trade, and still some more thinking of interesting applications that Blackburn might have found out. James had taken the time to write a small brief description of the item displayed at the party but never given a proper showing despite it having saved his life. He hoped seeing first hand would hope sell some people on the idea that it could be useful. Due to the delicate design however he knew this version of it would never be mass produced but maybe one day in the future.

A few lovers have stopped by the Merris house for flowers for their loved ones, and despite being helped by people there they have begun to wonder just where Merris has gone, especially after the night with the attack on Blackburn Manor. Was she connected with Isaiah's attack? A few gossips take to telling the tale that Father Bernard was mad at Mr. Blackburn not for Isaiah's attack but that he was somehow involved with her disappearance. Another note of interest is the fact that Mr. Blackburn had decided to choose a foreign noble from the party. Once that had been seen briefly around town, though she seemed oddly aloof during the days leading up to the Ball.

Thomas announces this morning that Simon will replace him as Sheriff of Blackburn's Crossing. The official word being his advancing age, and will to settle down for his later years. Posters are put up about town making sure the notice goes out to everyone. The smithy is still closed for the day, but word is spreading that Bjorn Stoneshatter the butcher was seen nearby moving some things around. No one's seen the two Einhorns, and it is soon to be revealed why as Maria's death is eventually announced. Archibald visits the Einhorn house early in the morning before the sun has even risen, and Heather Blackstone visits later towards the afternoon.

During the night before Kallisto has troubled dreams. One where she is lost in the woods, until she at last finds someone Ialay who seems to understand that she is lost. She agrees to help you find a way back to town, but when Kallisto does the town is weird, it's full of people that she doesn't recognize. People's who skin is snake smooth, and look slightly greenier than most. As she approaches Marcus' home and opens it, she finds that he is dead on the floor with many smaller snakes crawling over him, bite marks on many locations on his body. Turning around to Ialay Kallisto can see that she is slowly shedding her skin, so rapidly in fact that Ialay's face transforms into the Great Serpent's face and lunges forward to attack her!

Upon waking up, Leone would find a letter written in to her on the table. James must have come in at sometime and left the letter on the night table where she would see. It simply stated that in the morning they would need to talk about the cure for Rosie, and that if he wasn't up yet to come wake him up. Underneath the letter was a very old looking journal which the letter mentions being one of the oldest recorded things he could find of the town among his parents belongings. He suggested that perhaps starting off at the beginning might lead them to a clue that might unravel a few mysteries running around town. In post script he asks whether they should have a small or large wedding.

Ludwig's apothecary is finished, and cleared for open business once the right people have been approved to work there. A few curious people stop by to introduce themselves as friendly neighbors or businesses that hopes to see him succeed. Some of the more business inclined is glad to see that Blackburn cares for the well being of the town, and knows keeping the shops running is important to the lively hood of the town.

?????

Arissa found herself floating in a beautiful skyscape, a brilliant white radiance beating down on her making it impossible for her to look anywhere but down to the world below her. She felt an odd sensation behind her and put a hand behind her, meeting a solid, familiar surface with r to another far less familiar sensation. Are those… feathers? Arissa squinted and craned her head behind herself to see beautiful white feathers coating her normally chilling cold, dead bone wings. Arissa admired the beating wings for a moment before she was struck with a sense of deja vu, as if she had seen snippets and flashes of this before. This… this is one of my nightmares, ja? I do not recall ever experiencing it so vividly before in the past.

Suddenly, Arissa felt as if she were being watched by someone… no, many someone, from up above. She covered her eyes to attempt to see any forms, but the light was too blinding to bear even for a moment. Arissa called out hesitantly. “Hello? I am Arissa di Encanta, daughter and heir to Heizan di Encanta, Baron of Carmanth. Where am I? Who are you?” From the heavens a chorus of voices rang out to address Arissa, both masculine and feminine, juvenile and elderly, benevolent and insidious. “No you are not. You are Arissa Rodezwaan, Aasimar of the Eight and latest in the line of the Fallen. You know who we are, and what we are here to ask of you. We await your verdict so that your trial may commence.

Arissa felt the weight of the gazes upon her, making her feel insignificant in comparison as she realized that she was being addressed by De Acht. After thinking for a few moments, she finally gathered the confidence to speak. “I suppose you are correct. I am not Arissa di Encanta, not any more at least. I am also not Arissa Rodezwaan. I am just me, Arissa, a girl who wishes to live her life, and if you wish to judge me for that, then you will hardly be the first nor the last. I did not ask to be chosen by you, and to be frank I believe that you chose poorly.” Arissa finished, feeling a sense of dread overcome her as she knew what came next.

After a long pause, individual voices rang out in sequence. An older, stern male voice. “Dishonorable.” An older female voice. “Disrespectful.” A youthful male voice. “Disloyal.” A young female voice. “Disobedient.” A gruff, hardened growl. “Treasonous.” A incredulous exclamation. “Heathenous!” A soft, pitiful wail. “Irredeemable…” A cruel chuckle. “Sinful…” The voices came together back into their heavenly chorus, though their tones were laced with spite and judgement. “Arissa Rodezwaan, you have been judged unworthy of the gifts of the gods. Your fate has been sealed.”

Arissa felt a strange sensation run up through her spine to her wings, and looked back in terror as the feathers began to drop one by one. Her wings began to beat faster and faster to try to compensate, but slowly began to lock up on their own. It was not long before the most familiar part of the nightmare began: the Fall. Arissa spiraled downwards, the light quickly fading behind her as she tumbled into the abyss below. Images and whispers passed by her in a flash: echoes of past mistakes and failures further weighing her down. A primal fear overtook her as she tried to do something, anything to stop her descent, but she knew it was useless. She closed her eyes, knowing that the ground was quickly approaching from down below. Suddenly, she felt strong arms wrap around her, catching her at the very last moment, and a familiar voice speaks to her. “I will not let us fall.”

Marsh House

Arissa’s eyes flick open as she wakes with a start. She looked out the window, seeing that it was still dark out, and then looked behind her in bed to the sleeping face of Bernard. She smiled to herself, glad that she was no longer alone, before wrapping his arm tighter around her and falling back asleep. She had no more nightmares that night.

Last edited:
Léone slowly wakes up in the morning, just before dawn. Like usual it had been a mostly dreamless sleep - strangely it was never at night that her thoughts plagued her, only when awake. As much as she wanted to sleep in and forget her troubles, there was just far too much work to do.

She pushes herself up, struggling a bit. Last night had put a strain on her, she'd been told raw arcane energy conversions always took its toll on the body. Getting into a sitting position, she glances down at her hands and flexes them, noting that there was still a bit of a lingering tingling sensation. Was that from the energy she had stolen from Isaiah's spell? She shudders at the thought, before wiggling her fingers a bit more and getting used to the feeling. Either way... maybe the exertion had pushed her past her previous limits.

Glancing over to the nightstand, she notices a small letter on top of an old notebook she didn't quite recognize. Opening and reading it over she frowns. "Just how late were you up...?" Sighing and shaking her head, she puts it down and reaches instead for her spellbook, flipping through the pages. Gleaning over her notes for "mental communication (two-way and one-way)", she mulls it over for a bit committing the theory to heart. She had relied so heavily on these spells in the past few days that it almost seemed second nature to her now. At least, before the previous night...

A chill runs down her spine as she recalls how Isaiah had teleported before her eyes and shot a beam of pure necrotic energy at James. It was a ghastly image, but as much as she tried she couldn't get it out of her head. "There has to be more that I can do..."

Suddenly coming to an epiphany, she grabs a quill and begins furiously scribbling down notes, trying to match the style and function of the spells she had witnessed in ways she could muster. "I can't use necrotic energy, obviously. Lightning maybe? Lightning shoots out in beams, right - or bolts or something? And there has to be some way to match the transposition through time and space - lower range, but without the use of substitute decoys..." She talks to herself out loud, trying to get her thoughts in order. It's only after a few minutes that she notices the lack of responses, and she glances around the room only to remember that Attimer hadn't come back the night prior - probably dispelled by Isaiah. She sighs, returning silently to her notes. "I'll summon him again soon... he deserves a break, after all of this."

Once she was sure she had gotten at least the basics out of her head, she finally rolls out of bed and looks around at all her stuff. Slowly she gets dressed for the morning, tossing on more comfortable traveling clothes and clinking her two rings back onto her necklace chain before donning it. She reaches into a side drawer and gingerly pulls out the bag she had gotten from Enzo, inspecting it a bit. "Worth a lot of money, huh? Better put the thing to good use." Taking her broom from the corner she props the bag open and slowly drops the broom in, fascinated by how it simply disappeared into nothingness. She grabs a few other things and tosses them in before closing the bag flap and wearing it over her shoulder, just keeping her wand and a small vial of healing on her person.

In the mood for cleaning up she takes the dress and bolero from before - having thrown them off as quickly as possible to call it a night - and hangs them neatly in the closet to the best of her ability. She smiles slightly at the sight before closing the closet.

Finally prepared for the long day ahead of her, she pats herself off one last time and heads out to go find James, letter and notebook in hand. She quietly knocks on the door. "James? You in there?"

Bernard woke slightly earlier than usual, the warmth of Arissa rousing him like the sun. Worried he'd over slept he sat up quickly, then looked down to the gorgeous figure curled next to him and out the window and he slowed. Carefully he swung his legs out of bed, standing and turning back to her. Bernard leaned in giving her a quick peck on the cheek before he grabbed a fresh set of clothes and left the room, smiling as he passed the masks hanging near the door.

Exiting the washroom, Bernard laid his clothes from the previous day just inside his own room and left to pray at Airehtu. He laid out a small cloth from the kitchen in the mud and knelt on it as he prayed. He thanked Ezra for guiding him to love again, he prayed for strength to continue in the face of all that he would face, he asked that Ezra guide his tongue as he delivered the sermon later that day. He continued to pray for aid in finding answers to the many questions, and that she watch over Peri and Arissa, Peri had been through more than most and she was shaken to her core, Arissa had finally found a place in this world, and he knew she would go to great lengths to keep it. He prayed it would not come to that.

When he had finished praying, he returned inside the house, packing his things away in his sack and quietly collecting the book and deck from his pillow case as well as the sack of gold bars under his bed and adding those to his belongings as well. Bernard took a moment to check on Peri and Lina in Merris' room. He frowned slightly to see her tossing and turning before he left the room. After a quick stop in the kitchen for some boiled eggs from the larder, Bernard started what he expected to be a very long day.

In the early morning mist, Bernard took Durendal to the church explaining his plan for the sermon. When they arrived, Durendal made his way to the graveyard while Bernard found Archibald in the main hall of the church with Derek who had come seeking healing for Jonathan. He pulled the head acolyte aside, "Archibald, please, go do what you can for Jonathan though it may not be much then return to deliver service, I've a special sermon today. I'll be giving it after I've laid Isaiah to rest in the Hathoway plot and prepared Maria for memorial.” He then spoke with Derek, “I am sorry that Jonathan is not well, I’m sure Archibald will do all he can to assist your son. Maria will be ready for visitation and memorial today after service.”

Once Archibald and Derek had left, Bernard grabbed another acolyte to assist him, “My horse, Durendal, is waiting in the graveyard. Jeremiah used to have a horse with some barding, he may have left it around when the horse passed. I doubt it would offer any protection, but it may do something for his visage. Do not be afraid, he is a gift from Ezra, and in the sermon you will open the doors to the chapel to allow him inside. I'll also need you to send someone for Arissa and Perian at Marsh House, I'd very much like them to be present for my first sermon." He then collected the silver powder and spent the next two hours performing interment rites on Isaiah and Maria, leaving the other dead to be handled by acolytes. With the aid of two others, he personally carried Isaiah to the Hathoway Mausoleum, laying him to rest with his family.

He re-entered the church as Archibald started service, heading into the head priest's office to don Jeremiah's old robe, storing his pack in the old safe. Once he was dressed for service, he took his place near the altar, and waited for the time to give his sermon.

When the time for the sermon came, Bernard took his place behind the pulpit. "...Ezra entered the Gray Land...Ezra set forth on a quest... She sought... In time, her quest brought Ezra to the end of all things. Behind Ezra stretched all the lands of the world." Bernard read select pieces of text from the Book of Ezra on the stand in front of him. He cleared his throat and paused as some of the crowd looked to each other and a low hum of whispers filled the cathedral.

He continued, his deep voice booming through the hall, silencing the stirring crowd. "Ezra was not sedentary. She did not set up a temple and wait there for the sick and injured to come to her. She did not say 'Come to me for protection.' Ezra traveled. She went to the sick and the injured she moved to guard and protect, and she left to find a guardian, 'One Pure Heart who would assume Her role.'"

Bernard moved out from behind the pulpit and stepped down off the raised area at the front of the church. He walked down the aisle between the pews, his voice still loud and echoing as he continued, "I asked Ezra for guidance, I lost my path - as a believer, as a follower, a paladin, a leader. I prayed to her that she would send me a companion to guide the church and keep this town. Ezra answered my prayer, not with words or visions, with this." He threw his hand forward and on queue the two acolytes opened the doors of the Cathedral, Durendal trotted in, spectral but majestic. One of the acolytes had found the old horse barding and Ezran heraldry in the shed in the graveyard and used it to reinforce Durendal's divinity.

He continued loudly over the shock of the congregation. "Some of you may have seen him around town. This is my steed, Durendal. He is a sign. We are to be like Ezra. We cannot be sedentary, not stuck to one place. We must move and travel. We must spread the good word and deed to all in need. I have already begun making changes to the church here in the crossing. When Jeremiah was Father here, he encouraged good works, but the sick and lame travelled here, to the temple to seek healing and respite from their suffering. Now, the acolytes are travelling the town, checking in on the sick and infirm. They are spending time with the old, feeding the hungry, offering Ezran words of wisdom to any who need them. They are accompanying the town guard to keep them safe in the dark hours and reduce the likelihood of loss. We are not selling services, and of course the chapel is always open, there will be acolytes here as well should you need to find one. But this is the dawn of a new day in the Crossing. A time with less suffering, and more compassion. Less bigotry and more acceptance. If it is within our power, we will aid you regardless of race, creed, or deformity."

Bernard paused, looking around at the surprise and shock, happy to see some heads nodding but not surprised that some members of the church felt upset with the changes. "This is the work of Ezra, travelling, healing, protecting, and we do it gladly. This is what the acolytes do, but what can YOU do? I know, the question burns at the back of your mind. You can aid them whenever possible. Have extra food or an exceptional harvest? Feed the hungry. Have a spare room in your home? Take in one who is homeless. Show kindness and compassion to one another. Go to those you can assist and assist them." Bernard grins. "'Oh, but Father Bernard, I usually just give offering to the church, will you still take our money as Father Jeremiah did?' We accept offerings of all kinds, food, money, materials for spells, linens. Whatever you can offer to the church we will repurpose and spread to the community or use to keep our Acolytes healthy and happy. Ezra will provide."

Bernard placed his hands behind his back and walked back up to take his spot behind the pulpit. He placed one hand on either side of the podium to finish his sermon, "Blackburn's Crossing has been through dark times. In the past weeks there has been great happiness and great tragedy for all. I know that this has hit us all very hard. If you are in need of anything, please let one of the acolytes know on your way out. They will make note of it and we will look into accommodating everyone who is struggling through these tragic times. Go, in Ezra's blessed light and know that she will guide you through the mists as she guided those who passed before you."

He finished with the traditional closing, "Spoke Ezra, 'Such is My role in the Grand Scheme.'" After the congregation replied with, "'So must it be.'", he completed the verse, "And with these words did Ezra become Our Guardian in the Mists."

Bernard smiled as he stepped down again before quickly turning around and getting back to his spot, "Just one more thing quickly. Feel free to take a good look at Durendal, but please do not touch him. Thank you."

Bernard spoke quickly with Durendal, "Please be mindful of your neck. I do not know who might try to touch you, but best you keep your head about you." Bernard chuckled mentally. Then he stepped down and led the procession out of the chapel, signaling the end of service. He stopped at the door to shake hands and thank people for coming as well as to wish them well in their day.

Night Prior:

Once they had gotten back to their home, Kallisto and Marcus said good night to each other after cleaning up -- mostly Kallisto trying to wash the blood off of herself. Her clothes ... the blood had dried and was not going to come off easily. She sighed as she looked at the torn fabric ... she didn't have many nice things to begin with, and now she had even less.

Entering her room she knelt to look under her bed, frowning as she saw the pelt and string of beads she had used to cover the blades of the axe sitting innocently in a pile on the floor. Reaching under she pulled them out, removing her shawl from around the axe and retying the pelt with the beads. "Just because you don't ... travel with the coverings doesn't mean I'm not going to put it back on," she thought as she heard the low growl of the axe -- its distaste of being wrapped once again.

Out of curiosity, she placed the weapon across the room from her, then stood with her hand out, testing to see if she could control when the axe would come to her ... only after concentrating for a few minutes to find herself standing stupidly in a corner reaching for the weapon. With a frustrated growl she retrieved it and sat on her bed with it across her lap, still thinking of the night's events.

Softly, so as not to concern Marcus she spoke, "...why did you speak to me earlier? Normally you only growl if anything..." Her only response was silence. She glanced down at the weapon before continuing, "... you apparently don't appear to me when I want you to, but can you always appear when I ... need you to?" Silence again. Frustrated she tried one last question: "What did you even ... 'eat' from the skeleton creature? Do they even have souls...?"

This time she got a low rumble of a reply. "Evil."

She was silent for a moment -- she hadn't actually expected a response. "I was told you devour souls ... not 'evil'. Do you only ... devour 'evil' souls?" Kallisto waited, hoping for a response, only to hear the usual growl in her mind. She sighed, placing the weapon on the floor and pushing it back under her bed again for the night. Wrapping herself in her nest of blankets she tried to sleep, attempting to ignore the aches and cuts from the battle, hoping in the morning she'd feel less sick as well.

-----​

At first Kallisto was confused -- since she had attuned to the greataxe, her dreams had followed the same pattern: dreams of combat and slaughter, all the suggestions of the weapon played out before her, a feral rage ... but this time it wasn't like that. Instead she was in the woods -- an area she didn't recognize, with no markings to guide her, no memory how she got there, the area was silent -- no creatures to ask. She went to pick at her beads but they were gone, her anxiety building with no comforting habits to help calm her -- she began to walk through the woods, hoping to hear something -- see the sky to tell her direction, find a marker -- anything that would help guide her.

Eventually she saw movement -- the shape was vague... but the color ... a strange reflective green? The shimmery dress she'd seen Ialay wearing but didn't seem to match. She approached, unsure what to expect ... Ialay's features were blurred, her face hard to make out, and her words ... not heard but somehow understood. She nodded towards Kallisto, beginning to lead her back to known territory, back to Blackburn's Crossing ... but it wasn't. The people -- even the few who would greet her normally weren't there, their skin had a strange tint to it... and an even stranger texture. She turned to Ialay, intending to say she's been led to the wrong place, only for Ialay to continue forward like nothing was wrong, leading her to the home she shared with Marcus -- a place Kallisto was sure Ialay had never been.

Gingerly pushing the door open, wondering who would even be here when no one else seemed to belong she instead found Marcus dead -- buried under a pile of snakes, his skin pale with death, eyes open but unseeing. She tried to rush to him -- to kick off the snakes, not caring if they bit her too, only to find herself unable to move, only to watch. Frustrated and in pain she began to weep as she felt herself turn to Ialay, unable to speak, hoping for an answer from Ialay only to see the shimmery green dress turn to scales -- Ialay's skin shed away and her face suddenly in focus -- the same face as the Serpent as it lunged at her.

Before it struck Kallisto felt two large furry arms wrapped around her, large paws gently cradling her as she cried and wept, pushing her face into the fur. The bear's large snout nuzzled the side of her face, trying to reassure Kallisto like it might a cub.

Gently it licked the tears off her face as she finally began to stop crying, a low growl in its throat like it was attempting to hum. Kallisto wiped her face with an arm, noticing once again while here her hands were nearly paws themselves -- moreso than they were after she spoke to Legba. She nestled herself into the fur of the bear, her voice small, "...why do you appear?"

The low growl flickered in what Kallisto assumed was a chuckle as the bear licked her face again, "I must help my cub, of course. As I have done before, and will do again."

Kallisto looked up towards the bear's face, about to ask another question before she noticed the bear was looking off into the distance. Following the bear's gaze she realized the area around them was like the night sky -- stars and constellations, small dashes of light from shooting stars, each one looking as though it was just out of reach, but closer than ever before at the same time. As she looked around she noticed a shape approaching, slowly growing in size as it blocked out the stars behind it, eventually she heard the sound of wingbeats.

Stars shifted in the sky, making an outline of a branch as the large hawk landed, its bright yellow eyes focused on Kallisto in the bear's arms, as if trying to assess her. It looked to the bear, "This is your cub?" Shaking its head, "Small. Weak." It screeched towards her, "Scared."

Kallisto, even in her confusion of what she was witnessing, felt a growl grow in her throat, until she felt the rumble of the bear's own growl, far louder than hers. "She is my cub: large, strong," with the bear opening its mouth, displaying its teeth it finished, "brave." The hawk seemed to nod, as if satisfied with the response from the bear.

It fluttered closer -- its scale shrinking as it landed on Kallisto's knee, twisting its head back and forth as it watched her. "Then I will help. Distance will mean nothing for your sight; let none escape your gaze." The stare of the bird seemed to have transfixed Kallisto as she tried to look away, instead she found herself matching its gaze, feeling pulled into it almost. The bear gave her one last lick on her head, "This gift is for you my cub. Hunt your prey and protect your territory."

-----​

Kallisto jolted awake -- finding her face damp from tears, some of her sheets torn from her claws as she had apparently thrashed in her sleep ... she rubbed her face with an arm as she sat up. Not even Marcus was awake yet ... as she stared blankly towards her desk, the small block of wood she had bought for Tara's gift still sat there waiting ... she soon found herself staring at the grain of the wood as if it was right infront of her face. She frowned slightly and blinked, her sight returning to normal -- the block of wood visible across the room on her desk. She thought back to her dream as she shifted her gaze to her ceiling, able to pick out all the small splinters and marks in the wood -- the dimness of the room not seeming to affect the detail she could see. Untangling herself from her sheets she went to her window, looking out towards the docks -- able to make out easily even those in the crow's nest of the ships, recognizing a few as regulars to the docks.

The shifting of view made her slightly nauseous as she focused closer or further, the only way she could figure out currently to "reset" her view was to close her eyes for a few seconds. She ran a clawed hand through her hair as she worked her way to her desk ... one way or the other she was awake now. Picking up the wooden block and her tools she began trying to work on the carving for Tara, something mindless to help get over the strange dreams she had.

Arissa blinks as the morning sun reaches her face, and yawns happily. She feels the absence of Bernard’s arm around her, but takes a few moments to just lay there, pretending as if he were present before rolling over to see the depression in the bed where he had been laying. He is a busy man, with a long morning ahead of him. . I know I will see him again soon.

Arissa rolls out of bed, instinctively reaching for the sword she normally kept by her side but meeting only air. She smiled to herself before standing and walking over to her bag to get changed. She glances in the mirror, frowning slightly as she sees the silver tips of her crimson hair. Gods, this complicated things. Arissa roots through her bag for a few minutes, trying to decide which dress would work best with her new aesthetic before finally settling on the green sequin one. She held it briefly, remembering Ialay and the threat of the Undying One. Whenever Kallisto asks, I will be there for her.

Arissa exits the room, and takes a moment to glance around the house, finding no sign of Bernard as expected. Her eyes fall on the couch where she saw Peri huddled with the unconcious form of Yelcan, and she felt a slight pang of guilt at being unavailable to her in the night. I am glad Yelcan stayed so that someone could bring her comfort. She then walked into the kitchen with a slight smile on her face. Finally perhaps I can try my hand at Bernard’s craft. What is the worst thing that could happen?

Arissa walks over to the cupboards, finding only eggs and bacon. She frowns slightly. I suppose it will not be the Carmanthian feast I had in mind... but it will do. She collected the ingredients under an arm, and found a large mixing bowl under the stove. She carefully lit the already charred and burned wood beneath the stove, before dumping the raw eggs and bacon together into the bowl, mixing it thoroughly together before pouring it into a pan off to the side, accidentally spilling parts of the mixture onto the counter top. Arissa then set the pan on the stovetop, watching it carefully to be careful not to burn it. After the top of the egg began to harden, she set out four plates before carving pieces of the both over cooked and undercooked egg and ham monstrosity and serving them onto the table.

Arissa frowned, looking at the ‘food’ she had created, and then glanced about to make sure no one was watching before cracking her fingers, humming softly to herself and rubbing her fingers together over the food as if adding spices to it. Golden sparks rained down on it, coating the food before slowly dissipating. She smiled sheepishly. None will know the difference, ja?

Arissa set about cleaning up after herself, magically clearing the mess she had made. She cleaned off the pan, replacing it back where she had found it, but then as she picked up the bowl, her hands slipped, having been coated with egg. It fell to the floor and cracked loudly. Arissa sighed and cursed herself for her clumsiness, until she recalled a charm back from her bardic training. It had always given her difficulty, but perhaps with the new power she had been gaining... Arissa picked up the bowl, humming in a low pitch to herself as she ran a finger along the crack. It sealed slowly before her eyes, and she smiled. I suppose breaking things is not the only thing I am capable of doing after all.

Arissa sat down at the table to wait for Peri and Yelcan to wake up. She was not entirely certain why, but she felt happy, and ready for anything today. Perhaps a good night of sleep really does make all the difference.

Blackburn Manor:

James sleeps upon his desk, the object the Falkovnians were after changing shapes upon his desk slowly and methodically. He wakes up to a voice in the distance. He raises his heavy head from the desk and rubs his eyes for a moment at the bright light pouring into the fourth floor windows. His parent's room over looked the river and docks in the distance, and he could see that the day was already starting to get going. Standing up he moved to the door and a blank expression became more of an amused smirk.

"Well hello there. Fancy seeing you here," says James with a bit of levity before moving out of the doorway and back to his desk. He sat down looking at the object once more as it changed shape.
"I think this object is the catalyst for a large machine, and I'm not entirely sure it's technological and not just a straight magical object. Sorry the things been on my mind all night, how was your sleep?"

Léone chuckles, shaking her head. "Fancy, indeed. A hundred beds in this giant house, and you sleep on a desk instead. Why am I not surprised?" She flashes a tired smile, entering the room and gently closing the door behind her. She glances at the object, watching as it slowly changed form over and over again. "Whether it's technological or magical, it's definitely something I've never seen before." She raises an eyebrow. "... The catalyst for a machine? You don't think it's for the machine, do you?" She mulls it over for a bit, then shrugs it off and smiles again. "I'm fine, you should be more worried about yourself after last night. I know I am."

Blackburn Manor:

"I don't think it is for the machine though we could test it. I'm not entirely sure that is wise however," he says looking at the object once more. When Leone expresses concern over his safety he smiles. "Maybe I should hire people to threaten my life more often if only to hear your concern for me." He chuckles for a moment.

"Jesting aside I think I'll be fine. I'm working on hiring a few more servants to help Grimdosh with his duties, and for a little more security around the manor,"
says James as he seems to mull over some of his thoughts.
"Violette is quiet handy with a Rapier, I don't think I've even seen her scratched in any of the fights she's apparently been in. I was thinking about extending her an invitation to stay at the Manor both as a way to ensure some good will from the Reiner's and potentially get some contacts in Richemulot. They have decent fighters from what i hear, not to say Dementlieu doesn't have it's own well trained swordsmen... Anyways I figured I would ask you what you think."

Léone sighs, smirking at James. "You try something like that and the people you hire will be the least of your worries." She steps closer, leaning back against a bookshelf and chuckling. "Besides, if you need a reminder all you have to do is ask."

At the mention of inviting Violette she raises an eyebrow, mulling it over herself. "... Hmmm. Can't say I disagree about her skills, she did help against the pirate attack and again with catching the Darkonese man last night. Not to mention, we can use all the goodwill we can get." She turns back to James with a slight frown. "I won't lie though, I do have some concerns with whether she and her family have... ulterior motives for coming to the house."

She sighs, recalling the conversation from over a week ago. "When her siblings were here, I chatted with Ludovico and he mentioned that his great grandfather had helped build this house once upon a time.... and then asked me my thoughts about a hypothetical machine that could transfer or duplicate matter." She shakes her head and huffs. "When I mentioned I had suspicions about knowledge getting out, I had reason for it."

After a few seconds of thinking it over, she eventually shrugs and looks back to James with a look of uncertainty. "... For now I still think it'd be a good idea to build the relationship, but I'd just keep an eye out. You never know."

Blackburn Manor:

"She was also useful when we went to the catacombs," says James as he considers Leone's warnings about the family. "Interesting, he didn't mention that to me when we spoke. I would have been interested to know if he had any insights into the machine though perhaps it's best it's still not known to the wider public. Speaking of which the medicine for Rosie."

"I'm going to make one dose and sent it back with Elise. The research that went along with it... lets just say I fear that something being able to affect the entire body for healing could be used for the reverse. That old adage 'That which can cure in large doses can also kill.'" says James mimicking one of his professors from Il Aluk University. "From what I read of last night, I don't trust any of the vials down there and disposing of them also seems to be a problematic experience."

"If you're right about the Reiner's maybe it would be good to keep them at arms length, then again they'd have an invested interest to protect any of the already done research that might prove useful or fall into their hands through continued and amicable relations. I'll think on it some more before deciding but if you had to choose right now which way would your decision fall," asks James, before he gives a long yawn.

Marcus House:

Marcus cooked up his porridge along with an extra bowl for Kallisto, before knocking on the door to his daughter's room. "I made you some porriage this morning before I head out to make sure they aren't loading the wrong crates on the wrong merchant or noble ships. Heaven forbid that happen," says Marcus chuckling at the door as he imagined the consternation on the noble's faces from that.

Yelcan wakes as the sun shines into the living room, but it's not the sunlight or the surprising weight of the blanket on his chest. It was the smell of eggs and bacon in the morning that caused him to wake up, and his eyes fluttered open. His heart leaps into his throat when he sees a brown mess of hair directly in front of his face, and jerks his leg slightly in surprise, but as the form stirs on his chest he sees that it is Peri. He relaxes with a smile as he remembers waking in the night to two small forms, one small and furry and one scaly, to snuggle together to sleep. He lays there with a happy smile on his face as she continues to sleep curled up on top of him for the small size of this couch.

As he lies there just enjoying the moment, he remembers his dream of being back in his home village, except it was filled with all of the people from his time here at Blackburn's crossing...but as children. He was up in front of the classroom teaching a miniature version of Arissa how to play the lute, then having to break up a fight between a childish Bernard and Kallisto, then consoling a crying Leone as Ludwig pelted her with rocks and writes down her reactions before Yelcan puts him in time-out. Yelcan remembers feeling overwhelmed before a fully grown, smiling Peri comes up beside him and says "Don't worry Yelcan, I'll take care of them. Go, be with Hyde." Yelcan had then found Hyde to be waiting for him in his hut, approximately the size of a black bear, and speaking in a deep, almost omnipotent sounding voice. "Ah Yelcan, my friend. Please, join me, I have been feeling rather lazy and want to stretch my wings." The large version of Hyde unfurls his wings and crashes through the roof as he takes off, looking back at Yelcan. "What, aren't you coming?" Yelcan flexes his knees, and then jumps into the air, rising higher and higher as he floats alongside Hyde, feeling the wind on his face as he soars through the sky. He laughs and whoops as he swoops through the sky with Hyde, before shouting "This is amazing! Why do you ever land??" Hyde just looks at him with a smirk before saying, "Because what goes up, must come down." And with that last statement, Yelcan feels himself falling, and just before hitting the ground...nothing. Just typical dreamless sleep as normal, until woken up by the smell of bacon.

Having enjoyed this moment of remembrance and snuggles, he scootches towards the edge of the couch, putting one hand behind Peri's head and other under her legs as he shifts her onto the couch while he wiggles out from underneath her. Stretching, he also picks up Hyde and puts him in the little crook of her arm, and turns to face the kitchen. Yawning widely, he walks into the kitchen seeing Arissa sitting at the table waiting, presumably for them to wake up. He spots the four plates of food waiting out on the table, and once finishing his yawn he says "Mornin' Arissa. You're up early, did you sleep well? And was this you who made breakfast, or did Bernard leave us a treat before he left for church?"

Arissa smiled at Yelcan as he approached. "Goedemorgen, Yelcan. I slept surprisingly well, dank je for asking. I trust that you did as well, ja? Bernard usually runs about gods know where in the morning, but I have been wanting to try my hand at this cooking that he enjoys so much. Back at home, I doubt I had even entered the kitchen more than a dozen times myself... but this is my home now, and I figured I might as well learn a... I believe hobby is the word, ja?" Arissa gestured eagerly to Yelcan to take a seat. "Come, have a taste for me. I would love to hear your thoughts." Arissa hid her nervousness about the questionable nature of her masterpiece with an excited smile as she waited to see how Yelcan enjoyed the meal.

Marcus' House:

Getting the rough shape of the carving done, Kallisto had been up for about an hour already. She was still trying to adjust to her shifting focus, getting used to the sensation as she carved, half of her mind actually paying attention to the carving while the other half kept thinking of her dreams...

The first few times she'd thought the bear was ... maybe just something left over -- some imaginary comfort, especially after she had gotten clarity on some of her earliest memories. Yet, after the dream she had, and its very obvious real effects, she wasn't sure anymore. The hawk that had appeared ... and the bear -- what were they actually? She glanced at her hand, the broken claws slowly growing back, the pads on her fingers and palm ... was this another deal? What was the cost...?

A knock on her door took her out of her thoughts as she blearily looked towards the noise -- seeing Marcus -- most importantly seeing him alive. Her green eyes had a faint ring of yellow thanks to the hawk as she looked him over, before her tired mind managed to get her moving -- dropping what she was working on, she left her chair and moved to him quickly, wrapping her arms around him in a tight hug. "I'm so glad to see you ..." she muttered, her eyes shut, still seeing the image of him buried under the snakes from her dream.

Peri having tossed all night rought with nightmares of her mother being burned alive or the eerily serene visage of the reaper she had kept poor Hyde awake dodging her flailing limbs. Once such occasion she awoke at hearing Bernard leave for whatever his tasks were for the day.

Padding out barefooted into the hall she hugged Hyde the dragon doing his best to comfort her distress and tears his tired form just nuzzling her chin begging her calm. Moving into the living room the sun still barely breached she released Hyde who fluttered to Yelcan anc curled up on the pillow atop his head.

Seeing Yelcan was not disturbed she started back to the hall. Little Hyde picked up his head and motioned to Yelcan’s feet. Peri thinking on it a moment she did not want to be alone so she took upon her favorite form and hopped up near Yelcan’s feet gently finding herself a comfortable place to curl up in the crook of his arm and the couch back. Closing her eyes she huffs and listens to Yelcan’s rhythmic heartbeat and she drifts off changing forms as her consciousness slides ear still pressed to his chest.

::::::::A while later:::::::

Peri woke as conversation grew, a small
Groan came from the couch as she pulls Hyde tighter her eyes opening realizing that Yelcan wasn’t there. Dragging herself off the couch she scoops up the still sleeping Hyde she wanders sleepily in the direction of food and sound.

Yelcan takes the seat that's offered to him, but he is hesitant to pick up a fork and take a bit. "Maybe we should wait..." But at her insistence, he relents and takes a bite of the eggs. He chews for a moment as he tastes it, tasting the lobster and the egg mixture...and surprisingly it is not terrible. He has never tasted this combination of foods in the morning, but he was impressed by the risk she took in combining them, as well as the effort that she went though. "Wow, this is really good. I'm happily surprised honestly, I am sorry to admit that I wasn't sure how well you'd pick this up on your first try, but it is quite delicious. I think Bernard and Peri will enjoy this very much." Yelcan places his fork back on the table as he leans back in his chair. He runs his fingers through his hair as he attempts to flatten his hair back into a more tame fashion. Seeing Peri entering the room he smiles at her saying "And here is the sleeping beauty herself!"

Arissa beams at Yelcan as he praised her cooking. “I had hoped to bring a little bit of Carmanth to the Crossing with my meal. It warms my heart to hear that you enjoyed it so.” Arissa internally sighs in relief that her food was edible. I should probably ask Bernard for advice next time... I doubt he finds the use of magic necessary in his meal preparation.

Arissa was about to take a taste of her when when Peri came into the room and she then dropped her fork and quickly stood embracing her. She then pulled back, smiling down at her. “It is good to see you up, Perian. I believe that Bernard is out for his morning routine already, but he will likely return soon enough. Come, I have made breakfast! Yelcan has told me it is quite good, so I pray that you enjoy it.”

Embracing Arissa back Peri gives a half smile and scrubs her eyes. “Morning,” she mumbles only just awake. Setting into her seat she sets Hyde in her lap and lays a hand on the still sleeping dragon feeling him rumble little snores.

Looking down at her food she leans in to sniff it. It smelled different but she was willing to try. Reaching for her fork with her free hand she digs into the ‘omlette’ taking a full bite. “What is that flavor, it’s different, sweet and buttery?” Looking to the two with raised brow in query. “It’s interesting,” Peri takes a few more bites. “I, like it.” Scrunching her nose she ate more and more seeming to leave only some undercooked runny sections.

Léone glances up at James, surprised. "Oh, wow... you managed to mix together a dose already?" With this good news she can't help but smile, moving closer and giving him a quick hug. "That's... great news. Thank you so much, honestly." She steps back and smiles sweetly. "I'm sure the rest of my family will be just as grateful for the help. If there's one thing we all have in common, it's how much we care for her."

At the mention of the research that went into the treatment, she slowly tunes back to the discussion at hand. She nods slowly. "I... I'm not surprised that it required something that potent to treat her, so I understand." Her smile fades slightly. "It concerns me that your parents would stock harmful substances like that, but I suppose we can't ask them their reasoning now. If you'd like I can help take a look later and we can figure out where to go from there."

She considers the Reiners once more. "Hmm... as paranoid as I am about them, I suspect it would just make people more suspicious if we pushed them out for no apparent reason. From a public view, they've done nothing wrong - Violette especially. I think the benefits outweigh the risks here, 'least for the time being." She shrugs, then turns back to James with a concerned look as he yawns. "You know, not getting enough rest is almost as unhealthy as nearly dying. How late were you up? I really think you should get some proper sleep for once, hun."

Marsh house:

As they were going about having breakfast a man dressed nicely using a cane walked up to the front door of the Marsh house before knocking three times firmly. Then he waited for someone to answer the door, cracking open a book for a momentary glance.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Marcus' House:

Marcus as a bit surprised and pulled the porridge bowls out of the way before they'd spill. He smiled softly, waiting for the hug to end and then offered the bowl to Kallisto. "Need to eat to keep you're strength up. You looked a bit pale last night at the Ball. I have to go as I said and I guess I'll probably see you around from what Thomas had told me, you're usually going to be assigned to look for any suspicious activity at the docks," says Marcus smirking and then winking. "Guess you can't get rid of me that easily."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Blackburn Manor:

"Very well, I'll talk to her later today," says James nodding before moving back to the subject of Rosie. "I'm just glad they are OK with you making this commitment. Not every family is accepting of unions so quickly though I guess the money you might bring to their ventures is a plus, and there is the fact of Rosie. As for the substances down below... I'm more concerned with how they got their results."

When Leone talks about his lack of sleep he smirks. "Haven't you heard? I'm the wicked Blackburn who cooks dogs and cats for breakfast and they say there ain't no rest for the wicked," says James laughing momentarily at his own joke.
"I think you might be right however, we need more servants to delegate to."

Arissa smiles as Peri began to eat and watched with pride. Perhaps I am better than I had thought? Who knows, maybe I could teach Bernard a thing or two, ja? She laughed a bit to herself before going over to her seat, about to try her fine cuisine when there were several knocks at the door. She looks to her seated friends and smiles. “I will go see who that is. You two relax and enjoy yourselves.”

Arissa stood up and walked to the door, glancing at her sword nearby to be sure that it was close at hand before opening up. She smiles and curtsies as she was greeted by the familiar face of Van Richten. Goedemorgen, Van Richten! What a surprise. It is good to see that you have fared well since the previous night’s... unpleasantries.“

Arissa frowns briefly at the memory, and then turns towards the kitchen with a thoughtful look. I suppose I could always cook more for Bernard... Se turns back to Van Richten and smiles. “Please, do come in. I have only just finished breakfast, and there is plenty to spare for a man of such high esteem. I have not cooked often, so I am eager to hear your thoughts.” Arissa gestures for him to follow as she walked back to the kitchen.

Léone smiles softly at James, shrugging. "There was a bit of suspicion regarding your family's... reputation, but aside from that they probably figured they should leave me to my own devices - as rash as my own decisions tend to be sometimes. It's good to see that they don't completely hate my guts, at least." She frowns. "... Something tells me those records were pretty detailed, huh? Think you're right to be concerned."

At his own joke she chuckles halfheartedly, then sighs and looks to him seriously. "As much as I love that you're trying to brush it off, we both know that the town is on edge after the past few days - especially last night. You joke enough about playing with black magic and people are going to start believing it, even more than they already do." She relaxes and flashes a reassuring smile. "Just saying this because I care, shocking as it is. I agree though, you need to lighten your load a bit." She moves closer and puts a hand on his shoulder. "Remember, you're not alone in this anymore."

Marsh House:

"You cooked breakfast, that is very nice of you but unfortunately I'm here more for Perian who asked me to stop by in the morning with a few questions she had in particular about a creature out in the swamp. Truth be told I was thinking I would have to wait on the porch with all the people headed to the church this morning. Sounds like it's almost town wide," says Van Richten coming into the home. He seems content to let the subject of last night die.

Marcus' House:

Eventually Kallisto let go of Marcus, rubbing her eyes again before taking the offered bowl, "Sorry ... just... bad dreams from everything that happened last night."

She gave him a smile as she moved to the table to eat, "It also means you can't get rid of me that easily either. Not really sure where I'll end up today ... Perian told me the other day she asked for a meeting with ... 'Van Richten' I think? To see if he can help give us any suggestions about the serpent out in the swamplands before he leaves." She glanced back towards her room, "I really hope Tara -- the woman I gave one of my handaxes to -- doesn't leave before I finish the carving for her." Shrugging as she ate, "But if she does, she does ..."

Before Marcus stepped out the door she added, "Just ... please be safe. I'll hopefully see you later."

Finishing the porridge, Kallisto began cleaning up, trying to practice with her new eyesight, noticing small chips in the bowls she'd never seen before, worn marks on the wooden spoons. At least she'd gotten better at keeping it controlled, staying at her "normal" eyesight, though everything still looked ... sharper. Permanently in focus. As she got herself ready for the day, tying Sulrac to her hip once more, Xirtar Aemami across her back -- wrapped again of course -- and the drawing in her small pouch, she mentally focused to be able to understand animals again as she headed outside.

With the intent of heading towards the Village Green to meet with Aluc if Aluc didn't find her first, she noticed the posters as she walked -- Thomas' retirement. She frowned slightly, wondering what that meant for some of the investigations that were still being worked on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back